Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IMPORTANT: Major website rehaul planned

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Hiya folks!

I come with some good news regarding how things are run around here (which is usualy very damn slowly). But no more. The biggest problem i have ever had with this website is the fact that it is made purely of oldskool HTML code and I'm really only the only person who can update it because everything is on my PC and so on. I can't just log in and update a news topic, i have to open an FTP, build/edit files in Dreamweaver on my pc then upload it (yes even the news page! D: ). It's really soul crushing and mind melting after so many years. I just want a simple quick way to update this place regularly without having to build entire pages in Dreamweaver.

Through the years NiDcom has went through a lot of cosmetic changes but it's still running on the same non existant system it has been since 2001 or something. I want to rebuild the entire site from scratch. I want it to be more interactive for users, easier to navigate, more friendly and brighter, searchable and updateable by other trusted staff members from their own PC's. I want fast fast fast. I want to log in and just type stuff on my screen, upload pics directly and publish it.

So starting from some time next week the website will go down for major rehaul maintenence. I will keep the forums running but the main site will be down for a while until we redo every page and section bit by bit. I'm not going to lie and say it will be done quickly, this website is a lot larger than a lot of people would believe with thousands of files to handle one by one. So I'll need your patience as we go through this transition.

I consider the rebuild to be a very large kick in the pants for this community and my own personal work on the site. It will concentrate strongly on fan projects and news to help strengthen the fanbase also while still providing all the usual NiGHTSy news if and when it happens.

We look forward to welcoming you back to an improved site.

~
The Staff

---------------

EDiT- Also since I've been getting asked, we have a donation fund so i can buy the new site skin, which is quite expensive. You can donate (even $1 !) by clicking on the paypal button on the frontpage:
http://www.nightsintodreams.com

Loufren

Loufren

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, video games, drawing, writing, the internet, and basically being a hermit.
Oh wow... that sounds like a major undertaking. Best of luck to you, and I can't wait to see what you've got planned. :rolleyes:

LUCiD

LUCiD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, NiGHTS, (of course), video games, surfing the web, Disney, animals, music, etc...
Sounds like this could be intresting... Good luck!!! :rolleyes:

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Ok i wasn't expecting the front to go down just because i uploaded stuff. Going to try get a temp page up as soon as poss

I BROKE THE INTERNETS

Loufren

Loufren

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, video games, drawing, writing, the internet, and basically being a hermit.
OH NOES!! -fixes the broken bit with some tape- ... That should do it...

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
oh man how happy I'd be if tape was the solution lol! XD

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
One more detail to make my used-to-be-boring Sunday into an eventful one lol. This makes me very happy, I like being able to look forward to NiGHTS related topics, probably will give me the incentive to stick around more often. :rolleyes:

Loufren

Loufren

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
It just might! -holds up the tape- It's GORILLA tape! This stuffs strong enough to keep me stuck to the ceiling for a few hours, as I found out when I pissed off the stage crew at my school... :rolleyes:

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs

Does this mean were gonna get a wiki (Please say yes)?

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
the wiki is something I've been thinking of for a while now which will def be there, but right now i want to get a solid foundation down we can all build on :rolleyes:

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
Wo0T!

+1 internets for you!

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Yay! :P

Unfortunately it would appear i can't fix the front page until Myst comes online (DATABASE MASTEEEEER OF THE UNIVERSE!). But i know he's mad busy this week moving home D: Until then I guess I'll just work out on paper what's going where, blahdeblahblah and so on.

It only seems to be affecting the front page anyway lol. Hardly anyone bookmarks the splash, thank god I'm getting rid of it. I shall take various site screenshots for website posteritys sake. I wish i had the terrifying dayglow mess that the site was in 1999 XD

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
Oh wow Trip, tell us when you want us to send you headache pills. I remember when I used to try to run old school html based websites.... I'm still surprised my head is intact. I wish you the best of luck, for the site and for your headmeats!

I'm really glad I linked directly to the forums now... ^^

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
I think i need the pills now! D: I dropped a large heavy bin on my foot in the kitchen and I'm in agony, blargh!

And yeah working with THIS much basic html really got gruesome after a while. But at least i stuck it out to the end lol. When this site began i built it on the Dreamcast browser, and the reason i chose HTML was because NOTHING ELSE WOULD WORK on the DC ahahha. Bad habits die hard. I give up, give me complex and easy to use code!

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
Onoes! Elevate it Trip, elevate it! And ice!

Man, I wish I were nerdy enough back when I had a DC to even know you could websurf on it or do online play. I couldn't quite understand the concept of playing video games with someone you weren't sitting next to back then, lol.

I still do all my coding in notepad cuz I don't have dreamweaver, tho I took a course on how to use it. OLDSCHOOL BABY YEAH. :P

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.
Error establishing a database connection

Haha....

anyways, good luck with all this. I can't wait to see the new site! Posted Image

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Best wishes TRiPPY on revamping the site (cause luck can only help so much...it takes effort! *gasp*). Almost wish I knew coding. Glad I bookmarked the forums. Now I'm not going to be one of the people going "What the Jackle happened to NiDcom?!"

Um...we can just blame Wizeman. ^^;

...Ah what the heck. I don't unleash my inner fangirl (on anything) that much. *ahem* W00t! Revamp! Yes! Break out the traditional gazebos! Mouse fireworks for all! ...Why is Reala taped to the ceiling? O_o (Sorry, love being random. It tends to make people happy...at least I think it does. >>:P

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

Why is Reala taped to the ceiling? O_o

Because Sapphire hasn't played JoD. :P

Best of luck! Hopefully the internet doesn't implode upon itself and die. :)

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Uh oh. A wiki? That might not end too well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REALA (pronounced "Ray-Alah," "Ree-Alah," or "Real-uh," depending on personal preference and the current mood of bigwigs at SEGA) is the antagonist of the video game series "NiGHTS." He is a first-level Nightmaren. A total pain in the arse, he will stop at nothing to make NiGHTS' life difficult. Among such things as proclaiming the protagonist doesn't exist [1], looping around a battlefield aimlessly, cross-dressing, and throwing giant balls of molten rock at NiGHTS, he appears (moreso chooses) to have no free will and thus obeys Wizeman's every command.

Unlike NiGHTS, he is portrayed primarily as male. Though the fact he looks like he's wearing makeup doesn't help his cause.

References:
[1]

See also: Nightmaren, Nightopia, Cross-Dressing, Selph, Sylph, Self, Sega Saturn, Nintendo Wii

This NiGHTS-related article is a stub. You can help Wikidreamia by expanding it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though. That'd be a really fun project! Good luck TRiP!

Loufren

Loufren

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Why is Reala taped to the ceiling? O_o

Because Sapphire hasn't played JoD.

Best of luck! Hopefully the internet doesn't implode upon itself and die.

That and... I kinda... stuck him there. -looks at the Gorilla Tape guiltily- I.... was curious to see if it'd work on nightmarens too... :lol:

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
Wikidreamia sounds like a nice name actually.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
ok so i sorted the frontpage database thing. Now i just have to wait for Myst to save my brains.

wait...

proclaiming the protagonist doesn't exist [1]

*lmao* hahaha! Poor NiGHTS.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Well, considering the amount of work that's happening behind the scenes right now, the Wiki will have to wait a while until we get the main section of the site sorted. We'll do a Wiki but don't expect it just yet :lol:;

Lol, Owl.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Owl the harbringer of Downtime.

EDiT- *coughcoughilovemassmailcough*

Nymph

Nymph

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:I'm a fanfic writer and an AMV maker. I like videogames, writing and just hanging out with friends.
Hearing about this is giving me flashbacks to my Internet Publishing class. @_@

Good luck on the overhaul TRiPPY. Looking forward to the end result :lol:

KatKitoshi

KatKitoshi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:video games, manga, anime, foreign music (Bollywood songs are the SHIZ!! X3)
o_o sounds like you have a LOT of work ahead...good luck and try not to kill yourselves in the process o_o. And I knew doing things in Dreamweaver was a pain in the butt! That's what they're teaching us to use in school! First we have to design the site in Photoshop, then cut up all the buttons and such, then import them into Dreamweaver...... And that's a pain with a small site, I can't imagine with one as big as this o_o

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Ahahaha yeah. *twitches at imagemaps and iframes*

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Maybe I should send you some eye drops too...

That Owl out there is an IMPOSTOR. He doesn't say 'hoo', nor does he talk until the text scrolls off the page! But I suppose the stand it you got is great for such short notice. ;)

Don't forget the magical properties of cool wet towels, Trippy! They can help you when the going gets rough.

Obscure reference: YEW KIN DEW EET!

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
It must be the RealaOwl

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
EGAD IT MUST BE. QUICKLY EVERYONE, DEFENSIVE MANEUVERS!

AND STEAL HIS PINK NAILPOLISH.

(sorry for the all caps. Yay false drama. I'll stop spamming now >_>)

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Eeek! This sounds like a soul-crushing undertaking to say the least! Best of luck to you, and I'll try to get something special from the NiGHTs project, or maybe just from me, as a thank-you for all your hard work in keeping the NiGHTs community ALIVEZ.

Question: You say that the site will be going down for some time, but will the music files still be up? For a lot of people on the project, I have told them to come here so they can listen to the original OST files. If it is going down I'm sure I can figure out a way to get the music files to the remixers, but I'm acting pre-emptively to an onslaught from the project members saying "OMGz the filez r NAWT working!".

As always, you rock.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
XD; gah! this i did not realise. To be honest the music files will probably stay where they are until last. So if i leave that page last the page and all its info won't be unavailable for longer than a day at most. As long as you keep the musicpage URL bookmarked:
http://www.nightsint...tune/music.html

I -will- be shifting certain large folders about into better order but I'll try keep all downtime to a low.

EDiT- Also since I've been getting asked, we have a donation fund so i can buy the new site skin, which is quite expensive. You can donate (even $1 !) by clicking on the paypal button on the frontpage:

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Good luck with the overhaul! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Just sent $10 your way to help along ;)

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Thanks Jofter <3
Btw, all that Outrun2 practice at the Troc paid off because DiGi bet AAUK hahaha.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
I'll see if I can wing a few bucks your way. I just spent a Playstation 3 XBOX 360 Nintendo Wii all three's worth combined on textbooks but I might be able to scrape up some spare change.

Also Jof's post count is dangerously close to a 24-bit signed integer overflow. I'm blaming him if the forums break ;) (/nerdism)

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.

Thanks Jofter <3
Btw, all that Outrun2 practice at the Troc paid off because DiGi bet AAUK hahaha.

Hahah ! I wish I could have been there to see that. We need to get 4 people on those machines at some point, for epic battles !

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.

XD; gah! this i did not realise. To be honest the music files will probably stay where they are until last. So if i leave that page last the page and all its info won't be unavailable for longer than a day at most. As long as you keep the musicpage URL bookmarked:
http://www.nightsint...tune/music.html

I -will- be shifting certain large folders about into better order but I'll try keep all downtime to a low.

Ah, okay. Just wanted to make sure, I know you have a LOT to do so I figured I'd posit that. Thanks for the response, and if it becomes a problem I'll absolutely just get a package available out to the mixers so they can leave dead links alone ;)

I'll scrounge around and see what I can donate as well. Good sites need this kind of support!

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
I sent five bucks, Trip. Feels good to finally DO something for the community. ;)

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
X) aww thanks guys, you make me feel mooshy.

MidgitLD

MidgitLD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Where were you in '99?
On dayglow dope and spillin' whine...
Just a lurker.

Internet cookie for those who can catch the musical reference in that. XD

And Trip, I REMEMBER THE CORPSE THAT WAS THE OLD SITE. It was full of eye scarring dayglow graphics of awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users