Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

• Please log in to reply
1166 replies to this topic

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?

right, stop using that bloody psychic powers, it's freaking me out and i don't like it! :D :P
and lol we at least got noticed :) it's a shame we had to bother them so much despite the fact their list couldn't be changed, but well, we're NiGHTS fans, we fight for what we believe in! :D

Taken directly from the end of the next NiGHTS game.

ENiGMA

ENiGMA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
I dunno which I am more curious about. Why is the fastest hedgehog alive is driving a car or Why is the fastest hedgehog alive is driving a car again... for the third time!

I wouldn't be suprised if Sonic's vehical in this new game is called "Cyclone" from the Drift series. He should at least have a blue super-bike due to Sonic's stream-line form.

Noticed in Sonic Riders, when Sonic has enough energy he gets off his Ex-Gear and legs it being more faster! Kinda contradicts the reason for Ex-Gear in the first place. Better off making a sequal to Sonic R I say.

However the spotlight isn't on Sonic this time, it's "Sega Stars" (All Stars? SuperStars?) I just hope this game isn't considered an "answer" to Smash Brothers Brawl as Sonic Unleashed was to Super Mario Galaxy.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

However the spotlight isn't on Sonic this time, it's "Sega Stars" (All Stars? SuperStars?) I just hope this game isn't considered an "answer" to Smash Brothers Brawl as Sonic Unleashed was to Super Mario Galaxy.

I wouldn't say that Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is an answer to anything other than Mario Kart's success, with elements reminiscent of Super Smash Brothers thrown in. Then again, I also don't see a relation between Sonic Unleashed and Super Mario Galaxy.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

I wouldn't say that Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is an answer to anything other than Mario Kart's success, with elements reminiscent of Super Smash Brothers thrown in. Then again, I also don't see a relation between Sonic Unleashed and Super Mario Galaxy.

Main character travels a large area, with a new little buddy to help. Bad guy is bad until something they can't control kills 'em dead. Returning to basic concepts snd controls. Very space-type epic music. Both have a unique gameplay mechanic.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I went to the Summer of Sonic convention today and got to play test this beauty of a game.

I'm satisfied. No, in fact. I'm more than satisfied. I played as Knuckles and it handled beautifully. The races were smooth, the drifting (which was one thing i was worried about) is fantastic. I've waited a long time for a game like this to come out and after playing it today i can honestly say it's worth the wait. And this is a 2010 release too meaning they've got plenty of time to add more and tweak it more than it already is. I'm so happy with this game.

As for NiGHTS, lol. I already said in the "stop emailing Sumo Digital now" topic on how Steve and Travis from Sumo Digital (Steve being the one that actually replied to us directly) treated me and TRiPPY today, but i'll recap it here.
They were wonderful and gave me a lot of faith in them. I played the game, i spoke with them directly and although they did not and could not confirm NiGHTS' appearance in this game they gave me little reason to feel worried. Honest truth.

Lol, we walked up to the cabinet and i said hi to Steve, who at first presumed i was just another person wanting to play the game. After a short while he realised who me and TRiPPY were and we had a little joke about him wanting us dead and snipers waiting to shoot us up from the top of the chimney. They were a great laugh. All was forgiven.
We played the game, i had a lot of fun and i went away from the cabinet feeling really happy that Sumo Digital are making this game. They really do want to please a lot of fans and i can see they're going to try their best with this game. I wish them the best of luck, i hope it gets the review marks it deserves because i played a really fun game today.

Later on in the day, TRiPPY was sitting down drawing a picture of NiGHTS and Steve walked passed, looking over her shoulder and mockingly saying "NiGHTS? rubbish character" XD
Further on in the day, DreadKnux from Sonic Stadium was doing a Q&A panel with them and they were asking Steve about what forums he goes to. He was listing all the main usual gaming forums and then said something along the lines of "i've been spending a lot of time in the NiGHTS fanbase recently", to which a number of people laughed, lol XD We were standing in the front of the crowd and gave him a wave to that.

Someone did bring up the talks of character list and NiGHTS' cast did come up briefly. Steve then said "Please don't ask me if a character with the name beginning with the letter 'N' is in this game", to which Kevin Eva of SEGA replied "Who, Reala?" XD
We were all having a laugh, it was a great atmosphere.

So, in a nutshell -

AllStars Racing plays great.
NiGHTS has not been confirmed however i feel hopeful after meeting the team and knowing that they're here to do a great job. They know what they're doing.
And i'm reaaaally looking forward to this game now.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Haha wow. Awesome to see that it's shaping up nicely!

Sure does sound like they're trying to "confirm" the appearance as discreetly as possible. I think the biggest questions moving forward are more along the lines of "which NiGHTS is gonna show" and "will I finally get to drift around the streets of Twin Seeds or Bellbridge?"

Actually now I'm just wondering if we're going to get another Daytona/OutRun/Scud Race throwback like they gave us in OutRun2 :)

Thanks for the update DiGi! Can't wait for it to launch!

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
Lol, thanks for the update DiGi. It gave me a good laugh. XD

Reala indeed.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Glad everything is positive, DiGi! I agree with TRAViS- they seem to be hinting towards NiGHTS's inclusion without actually saying anything. I could just be paranoid, though. :)

7Force

7Force

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, anime
For me the handling on the cars was a bit loose but the Sumo guys told me that it will be tightened up in the final version but so far I was pretty impressed with the game so far it was good fun to play. Also I dont know who it was but I was playing as Alex Kidd and some girl behind me was going "sqeee OMG its Alex Kidd" that was pretty cool. Just goes to show the power of old school SEGA it makes you get all excited

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I found the cars handling to be quite good. The only thing i had problem with was the fact that the PS3 shoulder button are not to my liking. My fingers kept slipping off the accelarator (right shoulder button) and brake (left shoulder button) so whenever i was trying to perform a tight drift my fingers kept slipping off of it. Though, i'm guessing control customization might be an option and if i was to get this i'd most probably buy a 360 for it anyway, lol.

Yeah. All the games i've wanted, GTA 4, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 ....and AllStars Racing would be the one to actually make me go out and buy an Xbox360 console for it, lol XD

Aaaah, man. I'm so excited for this game. I really am! It's coming along really nicely. My purple hat goes off to the company.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

For me the handling on the cars was a bit loose but the Sumo guys told me that it will be tightened up in the final version but so far I was pretty impressed with the game so far it was good fun to play. Also I dont know who it was but I was playing as Alex Kidd and some girl behind me was going "sqeee OMG its Alex Kidd" that was pretty cool. Just goes to show the power of old school SEGA it makes you get all excited

Sorry, but Alex Kidd looks BIGTIEM retarded in SSTennis. I don't see what's so appealing about him.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I sucked at this game, I had a hard time getting used to the controls. Still it was pretty fun. I think the All Star moves are overpowered, but then again that helped me a lot, so I'm not complaining.

ENiGMA

ENiGMA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Then again, I also don't see a relation between Sonic Unleashed and Super Mario Galaxy.

Really? I see plenty!

I do have a theory that Sega and Nintendo arn't as buddy-buddies as they seem to be since Sega had to give up making consoles.

When I usually write my theories though I usually make them as logical as possible, however this theory is rather weak and not many people I know seem to be interested in listening... :); Outside this forum.

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
SEGA actually helped Nintendo make one of their consoles, forgot which one though. Sony too. But that is another topic entirely.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
Sony and Nintendo were making an addon to the N64 (before its release) that allowed for disk games, but then Sony just made their own system.

...I think.

SEGA helped make F-Zero GX; Chao actually appear in the game.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yes, they helped making F-Zero.

Anyways, back on topic. Here's something to break your brains but work on it and see what you get -
sega will sloooowly reveal new character for AllStars Racing

Do the work, let's go!

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
I nearly freaked when I saw that hint thing on my Twitter. XD

I can't figure it out, I'll just wait for another hint tomorrow. And you guys know they're probably doing this because of us. >_>;

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
JACKLE! IT'S A JACKLE! IS IT A JACKLE? -Stewie throws game into the air-

IS IT JACKLE!? -mouthfoam-

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I think it's a given that NiGHTS is gonna be in it. They're just toying with us as much as they can. I LOVE IT!

Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah I don't even think I'm going to try to guess this one.

O______ __ ____ ____ ______ ______ ___ ______ C_____ __ _______

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
And every day Monday to Friday they're going to add two letters in ....and it's not a phrase that is either from a SEGA game or a SEGA character, it's just a hint to what the character is.

Lol, this should take near on forever to work out, even after all the letters are revealed.

MADAMOiSELLE

MADAMOiSELLE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, gaming, nerdy things in general...
Hrmmm, considering they're going to release a letter evry day Monday - Friday, It'll take 10 weeks before the clue is complete, and by then we still won't be able to find out what it means.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Hrmmm, considering they're going to release a letter evry day Monday - Friday, It'll take 10 weeks before the clue is complete, and by then we still won't be able to find out what it means.

Actually, they will release 2 letters per day, so it will take "only" 5 weeks before the phrase is complete.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
I like puzzles :D I'm rubbish at them! BUT STILL!

I wonder which website will get this first.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Let's see what letters they're going to give us today

On another note, for those who ain't seen the SegaNerds Interview (as well as footage of the Q&A session, featuring screaming NiGHTS fans in visual format), please check these two videos here --> curtesy of Graham at SegaNerds
The first video is a direct interview and the second video is the Q&A session.

Can we clear it up now that Sumo Digital did NOT accidently announce NiGHTS for AllStars Racing while at Summer of Sonic. Any talks of NiGHTS was down to the fact that they had been interacting with NiGHTS' fanbase over the past few days. Some people took this to mean that NiGHTS was being announced however they misunderstood what Sumo were saying. Again, any talk of NiGHTS in the Q&A session is purely for the fact that we've been in contact with them and at no point did they say NiGHTS is in this game.

However, going on the basis that NiGHTS is an important SEGA property, lets just assume that NiGHTS is in this game for the sake of this discussion.
Now, we were talking about what kind of vehicle NiGHTS could appear in earlier on in this thread. Since then, in the personal interview with Sumo that Graham had conducted, Travis mentions that they're designing the vehicles to look similar to the character driving them, so that way you can tell from a distance who's who.

So, on that note, and on the speculation that NiGHTS could be in this game, WHAT do you think NiGHTS will be driving if the information presented tells us they're designing the vehicles with the character itself in mind?
I have one answer to this. NiGHTS could very well be driving a motorbike of some sort, lol. Think about it. One of NiGHTS' key features (other than the design of his ass, lol) is his hat. And when you try to form that design into a vehicle they could very well be handle bars.
So, if they might put NiGHTS on a bike i think it's fair to say he better be driving something really sexy .... like this -->purple lowrider bike ...with bigger handle bars, lol.

Just speculation, as i said. What can you see NiGHTS' design becoming in a vehicle form?

S0L

S0L

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Aww you beat me to it!

We've not confirmed anyone outside of the characters Sega have released screens of :)

I was trying to have a little bit of banter with the audience, I say NiGHTS, some 'miscreants' in the audience start cheering and boomf - internet jumps to conclusions. *sigh* :D

As for that cryptic quiz, I know all the in-game characters and it's even got me flummoxed. Talk about obscure!

---
S0L
---

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
They added two letters:
O______ __ R___ ____ D_____ ______ ___ ______ C_____ __ _______

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

some 'miscreants' in the audience start cheering

No idea who they could have been. >.>

As for the cryptic word puzzle, the two new letters has added about 0.2+ help-points to my stats.

First 4 words must be "Omochao. is. real. sh!t" ...i could be wrong.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

"sqeee OMG its Alex Kidd"

Wow. Hasn't it been forever since Alex Kidd actually had his own game? :huh:

Sorry, but Alex Kidd looks BIGTIEM retarded in SSTennis. I don't see what's so appealing about him.

I always get a distinct "creepy old man puppet" vibe. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person disturbed by his apearence.

Sony and Nintendo were making an addon to the N64 (before its release) that allowed for disk games, but then Sony just made their own system.

I believe that Phillips was also involved with these dealings, and it ended up with the creation of the CD-i and the Playstation. Phillips was allowed to use the device, though; Sony stole it. :D

I like puzzles :D I'm rubbish at them! BUT STILL!

I like puzzles as well. I'm also rubbish at them. :D

My Guess: Omigosh! Awsome Reala can Drive faster than any Character in game.]

It has to be it. :)

As for NiGHTS's car, he needs to be in the roller-coaster persona. :D

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
My sig is just for fun, it's a takeoff on the Batmobile anyway. I'd rather NiGHTS be in a cart/convertible like other characters so we actually see him. Of course it'd still be more natural to his character to morph into a vehicle, but I'm not expecting that to happen. I just hope they make his car's exhaust Twinkle Dust. Gotta have that.

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
So, it's unknown whether this is actually correct or not, but someone over at Sonic Retro figured this much out:

O _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _
R A C E
K A R T
D R I V E R
C L A R I S
A N D
E L L I O T T
C O M I N G
I N
J A N U A R Y

? =P

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Elliot's name has one T. And the game comes out in Feb. I dunno about that. Man, there simply ain't enough clues yet. This thing is a random sentence.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

My sig is just for fun, it's a takeoff on the Batmobile anyway. I'd rather NiGHTS be in a cart/convertible like other characters so we actually see him. Of course it'd still be more natural to his character to morph into a vehicle, but I'm not expecting that to happen. I just hope they make his car's exhaust Twinkle Dust. Gotta have that.

Do you suppose Twinkle Dust pollutes? :lol:

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Do you suppose Twinkle Dust pollutes? :lol:

I bet it makes the air taste like Pop Rocks..

Also I figure NiGHTS's All Star move could be a steady Drill Dash around the track (perhaps awesomely knocking off other racers as you go?). Paralooping would be sweet but integrating it properly would be really tricky.

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

If he doesn't have Twinkle Dust coming out of whatever, I'll be peeved. And someone in this house will be subject to bodily harm. :/

But I like your car design viper. But yeah, I can totally see NiGHTS in some kind of motorbike.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
His all-star move could be the Rocket Persona!

And I want his vehicle to be a pair of roller-blades. That would capture NiGHTS' whimsy really well.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I was thinking about his special too. Paralooping would be the obvious answer but it would be difficult to incorporate a move like that in a game that requires you to move forward very quickly, lol. I think the drill dash idea would be a better option.

As for the vehicle, i don't think i would want to see NiGHTS actually BE the vehicle...because then you're not racing as NiGHTS-NiGHTS, you're racing as MORPHED-NiGHTS which doesn't resemble the character ...plus if he is morphed then chances are they're going to put Will on him to drive him...and that's not cool, man.

I agree with Viper, a convertible vehicle is needed just like the other cars being shown. An impalla low-rider type of vehicle with mad body-kit work in the shape of NiGHTS' hat could pass off quite well, simply because low-riders are notorious for having crazy mad designs.
They couldn't put NiGHTS in a super-car because he probably won't be as fast as the other characters on the course (Sonic and Beat for example) so it needs to be something that's a middle-tier vehicle. Motorbike or a flashy low-rider with the tail of the car being the shape of his horns/hat.

...I'm talking too much about NiGHTS, let's check that word puzzle again! ;)

Also, here's an interesting thing to talk about. The tracks themselves. What courses would you like to see and why? Some one at Summer of Sonic mentioned a Phantasy Star Online course and that would be wicked, i think! Dreamcast PSO needs some love and a course covering the areas would be sweeeet!

As for a retro Sonic track, i'm thinking Chemical Plant Zone would be wicked! Especially with the level music for it too.

And if Ryo Hazuki is in the game then they need to race around the warehouse, with Mark as the flag man! XD

Aaaand since this IS a NiGHTS forum, if NiGHTS is in the game (i can hear SOL moaning from up North already) then i think Soft Museum would be a great and interesing track to race on.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I'd love to see a PSO themed track based on either Pioneer 2 or the Seabed.

While it's a pretty big stretch I also wouldn't mind seeing levels based on Panzer Dragoon and House of the Dead. I also agree Chemical Plant would make a really sexy track.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
A PSO track would be amazing..... Red Ring Rico should be the driver XD

MADAMOiSELLE

MADAMOiSELLE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, gaming, nerdy things in general...

Actually, they will release 2 letters per day, so it will take "only" 5 weeks before the phrase is complete.

Oh aye. My bad. Sorry.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
O______ __ R___ ____ D_____ M_____ ___ ______ C_____ __ ______Y

Still as obscure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users