Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1UP JoD news all week! :)

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

KittyWhiggles

KittyWhiggles

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
.>>>>....

GoldDreams

GoldDreams

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:SEGA and Nintendo
While we all wait for todays update.....

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was plans to release the soundtrack? I'd really like to own it. I really like what they shared with the Tuesday update. Along with what I came across here. I'm just really hoping they release the soundtrack at least in Japan. I will gladly import if need be.

I also really enjoyed the videos. Some people are complaining about the graphics but I think its looking fantastic.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Gawd, if they didn't, then I wouldn't be able to listen to that AWESOMENESS to my heart's content. ;-;

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
*flails*
I want that update!

I want a soundtrack!

I WANT JoD! TT_____TT 42 days. . .

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
1UP just updated with the retrospective! Go to GameVideos and see it for yourself NOW!

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
RAWR!!! *darts off like a cheetah*

^_^ Go Dreamer

^_^ Go Dreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of NiGHTS, Reala, And Jackle! I love to play video games, mostly (SEGA & Nintendo). Love Anime. I Love talking about NiGHTS!!! Also I like surfing the internet! ^_^

"The video you have requested is not available.

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process."

*hits head on desk. HARD*

I'm really sorry about that! >_< I fix the links just now! Sorry again............

OwO 1UP just UPDATED?!?!?! *goes off to Watch*

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I just watched the whole interview. Iizuka said some pretty interesting stuff. One thing in particular was about porting NiGHTS to the Virtual Console. He said it would be very difficult to port NiGHTS to the Virtual Console since the Saturn was so "unique". He also says it depends entirely on the coding. If a SEGA Saturn game was developed with porting in mind then it would obviously be easier to port it. But since NiGHTS was designed entirely around the Saturn, it might not be achievable.

Iizuka also explains how Christmas NiGHTS and the analog controller came to be. He even acknowledges Naka and Ohshima's input. Good stuff all around. I look forward to the next interview with Iizuka about Journey of Dreams tomorrow.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Lol my download died at 25Mb.

*tries again*

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Mmm yeah that was a pretty satisfying interview. I want to watch the video (downloading it as I type on my school's AMAZING 20 KB/s download ^_^) and see if they talk about anything else.

Reading the part about porting it to another system was quite interesting. FYI: If you don't like reading about technical stuffs, then this is where my post ends ;) Yeah, NiGHTS was one of the few Saturn games that pushed the system where people thought it couldn't go, but that doesn't mean a port is impossible. In fact, there are several methods of "porting" a game as far as I've seen. You've got emulation (used on a Saturn-to-PSP title from Titus...can't recall the name), a source code port (which is what he was probably referring to), and of course rebuilding the game on another system using the same assets (most of Sega's arcade-to-Saturn "ports").

Since the Wii's virtual console is basically one big emulation service, I don't see a release of NiGHTS as impossible; just very challenging given the system's limited core performance. No matter how optimized the GiriGiri project (Sega's official Saturn emulator) is, I don't see full speed NiGHTS running on the Wii, unless it's rebuilt from the ground-up. As an XBOX Live Arcade (or more likely, PS Store, since M$ is uptight) download, emulation could work given the power available. So I'm not going to be one to rule out hope just yet for NiGHTS in 720p with 16x Aniso and 8x FSAA. :) If my PC can do it, the 360 sure as heck can.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
I am still waiting for the video to download. However I am reading their little review on NiGHTS and it kinda sounds like they played the game. Please tell me that the people who played the original NiGHTS game are not the same people who are playing in the new game footage. If so...I am scared.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
lol they did play the original game really sloooooowly didnt they?

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

lol they did play the original game really sloooooowly didnt they?

At least they are flying stright this time around. XD I know some that can't even do that on the old game...

Friend: How do you go stright?
Me: *Facepalm*

shadow1111111

shadow1111111

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Great interview. Sounds like Iizuka knows what he's talking about.

^_^ Go Dreamer

^_^ Go Dreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of NiGHTS, Reala, And Jackle! I love to play video games, mostly (SEGA &amp; Nintendo). Love Anime. I Love talking about NiGHTS!!! Also I like surfing the internet! ^_^
I really enjoyed watching that interview with Mr. Iizuka, it was very refreshing!! And I can't wait to see the interview tomorrow where he talks about JoD, I'm really looking foward to that! ^_^

Reala5481

Reala5481

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Location:The Dream of Glass, Crystal Palace. Searching for my dreams...
  • Interests:Reading, Anime, Video Games, Poetry, And Singing.
I can't watch it. My comp hates me... <_<

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
\o/ Whoo, nostalgia!

Is it just me, or is Iizuka-san adorably nervous with some questions? XD *patpat* We love you, Iizuka-san, don't worry!

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Hrm. I can't get over how Girania looks like Dippin' Dots when he bursts into those multicolor spheres.

Hmm, fish flavored ice cream.

*flails*
I want that update!

I want a soundtrack!

I WANT JoD! TT_____TT 42 days. . .

Yes.

TRiPPY, when you go to Sega, beg them to release a OST, PLEASE! D:

Draikin

Draikin

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The framerate problems are obvious in every video (especially the Girania one) and it seems 1Up is also worried that they won't have enough time to finish the game properly. They should just delay the game for a few more months in my opinion.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
You know what else 1UP should be worried about? That update. Today's update is supposed to be an interview about the game. They must have something big if they are going to take this long.

I am super serial.

EDIT: Damn it, I was two minutes late this time! My clock is so slow! GRRRRRRRR!

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
JoD interview with Iizuka-san:

(not the retrospective! ^-^')

Uh-oh, I think the link is screwy.. wait..

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/16055

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
:)

What do you know, it did work. JOY!

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
As much as Im totally loving this week of updates...
why, oh why, did it have to be 1up with GameVideos.com ?

Thier flash player takes soooooo long to load, and downloading the vids is no faster. Stop being tight with your bandwidth eh?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I hear ya, Jof- My work connection is maddeningly slow, especially at GameVideos.. takes practically half an hour to load 5 or six minutes of video much of the time

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
Dang, I'm stuck on my Wii until my compy gets back from the shop later today. No interview for me. DX

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
Video 2 !

Brand new intro FMV ! Will and NiGHTS, Pians !

Orchestral version of Dreams Dreams !

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
ha ha 4 hours till my download finishes XD

*goes to dye hair instead*

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
Plus theres some neat remix of Spring Valley's Paternal Horn playing in the back of the interview in Video 2.

Possible ingame music ?

scout

scout

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
awsome, wanting for this game just went up by 10000!
and the A-life does look a bit worse than chao garden on the gamecube. But hopefully the system will work just the same as the last game.

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
More new music ? At about 4 minutes into video 2, theres some very ... fiddle-ey evilish sounding music.

Plus they think NiGHTS DS is a great idea. Not working on anything now, but something theyll keep in mind for the future.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I still haven't been able to complete video one :)

leaving work in a few minutes.. probably just have to watch these at home..

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
I downloaded both with my super connection :)

Ill post a bullet list of all the key points shortly ;)

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
When NiGHTS DS is announced sometime in the future, we know where the idea came from. :)

Spoiler

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Please do so Jof, because as it is it'll be four hours no matter if I wait for the flash video or the download to finish T_T

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
DSDSDSDS...DO EET SEGAAAAA! @@ I wanna see the videos so badly. ;;'

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
Ok, a run down of the key points ~

• The timing for a sequal was never right, until now; with Sonic being handled by another section, and the release of the Wii.
  • Hoshino-sann, lead character designer from the first game, who created the Nightmaren and Claris and Elliot, has reprised his role for the sequal, so they're confident the art style will remain consistant.
  • He would have liked to have released sequals sooner, to keep the franchise alive in gamers minds. They've wanted to, but timeing has never been right. That's always been the problem with NiGHTS.
  • He'd have loved to have made sequals for the Dreamcast or Gamecube, and many sequals were started over the years, but they were all cancelled for one reason or another.
  • Since now, every system has an internal clock, and it's not unique, they are not making time-based events again [< : ( No Christmas NiGHTS]. Instead utilizing the Wii's unique system, they've created what they feel is an equally, if not cooler feature.
  • Original composers back
  • When asked about Elliot or Claris, he said no, since Will and Helen are the main protagonists, they'll be focusinig on them.
  • NiGHTS DS. Great idea, something they'll keep in mind.
  • When asked about returning Nightmaren, he only mentions Wizeman.

I've also come to the conclusion that 1up barely know what they're talking about, or at least this James Miekle anyway. Is Reala returning ? Ya not seen the trailer buddy ?

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
*started loudly babbling nonsense when she got home and realized it updated* 8DDD *waits for the gray bar to fill up so it doesn't stop midway through the interview*

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
;;' N-n-no Christmas NiGHTS? DX Darn! I'm not too thrilled about most of those answers...'Cept NiGHTS DS. @@' And the return of the original character designer and composer,

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
1UP needs to buy some better lighting, everybody looks dead in those videos! XD

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip