Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Deep Loner's Content

There have been 74 items by Deep Loner (Search limited from 29-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#19247 A NiGHTS JoD tribute video I put together! ^_^

Posted by Deep Loner on 02 October 2007 - 06:40 PM in Creative Stuff!

A very nice little clip you put together there.

One thing I especially paid attention to: it takes effort to use Windows Movie Maker and create something that doesn't suck. The special effects you chose clearly weren't random, but were carefully chosen to complement the video. I especially liked the flash in the beginning synchronized to the music.

I also enjoyed the comparisons between the JoD and NiD footage.

Overall, very nice work.

#17887 Sorry, forgot to introduce myself...

Posted by Deep Loner on 23 September 2007 - 02:13 AM in Introduce Yourself

...after thirty-two posts. I'm so sorry! :lol:

Anyway, my online name is Deep Loner and my real name is Jonathan. I'm twenty-four years old and will soon begin studying for an Associate of Specialized Business Degree in Computer Science and Programming.

I like to be silly sometimes, but everybody tells me that I have a dry sense of humor, that I'm too serious, and that I need to lighten up. Besides the aforementioned silliness, I try to post only when I think I have something important to offer, which means that I will probably post less frequently than others. Sometimes I'll make a long, rambling post that nobody pays attention to anyway. <_< My thinking is very logical and pragmatic. My precision with spelling, grammar, and accuracy at times tends toward pedantry, which means that I might make dozens of minor edits to even the simplest posts.

I remember when NiGHTS into Dreams came out, but did not actually play the game until 2002. My fascination with NiGHTS was centered around its fictional universe per se rather than the actual game; as a result, I finished the game very quickly and did not spend much time looking for replay value. At the time I was not the kind of person who would spend time perfecting aerial maneuvers or running up high scores. I like to think that my gaming tastes have matured since then.

My nickname "Deep Loner" is anachronistic; I was certainly a deep loner during childhood and adolescence, but am so no longer.

#19553 You say 'uh, hi?', I say 'YO!' *hums to Beatles*

Posted by Deep Loner on 04 October 2007 - 11:24 PM in Introduce Yourself

This is a dangerous place. You can't trust anyone here, so watch your back. :blink:

Don't trust him. He's lying. :(

Anyway, welcome.

#17891 Doop de doo...

Posted by Deep Loner on 23 September 2007 - 02:18 AM in Introduce Yourself

Welcome, you came at just the right time.

Indeed. Journey of Dreams is looking to be a high-quality game of the same premise as the original, but with slight enhancements and modifications that I think will serve well to expand the universe. Welcome.

#18011 Hewo~ ^_^

Posted by Deep Loner on 24 September 2007 - 02:46 AM in Introduce Yourself

Welcome, you came at the right time.

I think he says that to everybody.

But still, welcome! :lol:

#19240 Hey all!

Posted by Deep Loner on 02 October 2007 - 05:47 PM in Introduce Yourself

Well, hello!

#18125 Hi everyone! ^_^

Posted by Deep Loner on 24 September 2007 - 10:42 PM in Introduce Yourself

Welcome! And if I may say so myself, you joined us at exactly, precisely the right time! :(

(Inside joke, sorry. But still, you're welcome.)

#18469 The Walkers

Posted by Deep Loner on 27 September 2007 - 04:00 PM in Creative Stuff!

Sounds like a pretty well thought out story!

Personally, I always have a problem with fantasy-esque stories because I always find it difficult to understand the "rules" of what is and isn't possible in the framework of magic and special powers and such. So I always find myself asking, Couldn't he have done ___? or, Why can this character do ___ but not ___?

Your skills seem to be quite above the level of hobbyism (I may have just coined a new word here). Have you been published before? Do you think that your story about The Walkers might be published someday?

#18468 Greetings one and All

Posted by Deep Loner on 27 September 2007 - 03:47 PM in Introduce Yourself

Welcome. You came at just the right time!

#19457 An idea I had just now

Posted by Deep Loner on 04 October 2007 - 12:34 AM in NiGHTS chit-chat

Would someone please be kind enough to mirror that file somewhere else?

I was getting 3KB/s until the server timed out... :blink:

#18862 Greetings!

Posted by Deep Loner on 30 September 2007 - 02:49 AM in Introduce Yourself

He's recruiting into his cult following. ;)

#18839 Greetings!

Posted by Deep Loner on 29 September 2007 - 11:22 PM in Introduce Yourself

I'm [primarily] a Nintendo fan [...]

Hehe... let's see if the numbers add up.

[...] my favorite games are

• [NES] Mega Man 2 (1-6, really)
  • [NES] Super Mario Bros.
  • [GEN] Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • [GEN] Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • [GEN] Sonic & Knuckles
  • [GEN] Vectorman
  • [SAT] NiGHTS Into Dreams
  • [N64] Super Mario 64
  • [360] Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

Hmm... seems like you're really a SEGA fan after all! :P :D ;)

I'm just having a little fun, don't take it too seriously.

Welcome to the forums.

PS: You mentioned being a "computer nerd". Do you know how to program? If so, in what language(s)? Also, where can we see some of your Flash work?

PPS: Well, I clicked on the picture, and I see you know at least C++, Java, and Visual Basic. You also use Linux, which graduates you from nerd to geek. :)

PPPS: Which Linux distro do you use? (Final postscriptum, I promise.) Edit: It's on your signature! Wow I feel stupid. :(

#19523 Sentence Random Fragmentation Game

Posted by Deep Loner on 04 October 2007 - 07:42 PM in Community Corner

I am not understanding. What is it that happens concerning us and you of rhinoplasty and pie-eating years-collected fakieness? Greater badnesses my parents are having been knowing of superlatively immature boy and girl persons newly reproduced out of former gravidae! :(

Also, Bonzi77, man (to be supposed of gender) of attempting deletion to the Nightopia was not being eating ingrediant that is cow-containing pie property of llamas in the moonlit sun of Jupiter! A more ridiculous preposterousness have you never heard, yes? Pie is of being having main ingrediant of llamas which llamas property of bulls (nota bene being other than cows) formerly proceded to be, and eaten in sunlit moon of Jupiter it is! Toward instructor of science of you my irateness that presently posession of emotion of my person is is for of moonlit suns existing having said! :lol:

Edit: Ooh, now understanding I am, submas13! "The greatest evil yon parents have ever known," other than pronoun "me" be modifying, address of vocative usage towards audience being directed is! The only logical one of the hermeneutical possibilities that one is! ^_^

#19552 Sentence Random Fragmentation Game

Posted by Deep Loner on 04 October 2007 - 10:50 PM in Community Corner

Regarding enjoying books, regardless, the upside and its downside it does have indeed: rightside up and upside down, respectively.

Like, duh! :blink:

Were you wondering what to call health of criminal daughter logger duo toy in underwear? Homeostasisterhoodlumberjackintheboxershorts!

#17713 Dreams Dreams

Posted by Deep Loner on 21 September 2007 - 07:54 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

My first impression was disappointment that they are using the same music and vocals from eleven years ago, but the mix is of very high quality and outshines the older version in several ways. And I can imagine FMV of NiGHTS playing the (air?) flute solo.

Anyway, hands up if you want to see TRiPPY and DiGi sing the duet in DreamCast 04! *raises hand*

#17740 Dreams Dreams

Posted by Deep Loner on 21 September 2007 - 09:29 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

The vocals are different, way different.

I knew they sounded different in some parts, but I thought that was just because of the remix (e.g. reverb that was added, or the differences in the accompaniment exposing vocal nuances we didn't hear the first time, stuff like that). They really do sound like the first vocalists. Am I tone deaf or something?

Anyway, I'd also like to see Helen and her mother play the opening strings part.

#18871 New Screens

Posted by Deep Loner on 30 September 2007 - 03:51 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

It's possible that they were only using low-polygon-count models so that the developers responsible for animation and cinematics have something to work with. It is quite easy to substitute a higher-quality model; I doubt that the final product will look like that.

#16590 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 12 September 2007 - 10:21 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

And thanks for the English-ized translation Deep Loner! :3

Please be careful. I didn't translate anything; I merely cleaned up Seiya's English.

#15286 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 04 September 2007 - 10:58 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Pretty much my point exactly only with more detail. ^^;
Most of what I've seen happen was unnecessary in some games and anime. (For example most of what 4Kids does.)

If you're referring to Sonic X... yeah, a lot of people complain about that. For some of it, I simply wonder if longer commerical breaks demanded that they cut some stuff. But I agree that it's unpleasant to see content that I like cut out of the localization.

The best way to stop this from happening with JoD right now is to bitch about it as much as possible and let them know that we don't want anything cut!

#16811 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 14 September 2007 - 02:28 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

How about the possibility of "Forums"? (Community boards?)

Right now it's anyone's guess. Kori's translation suggests some kind of "of the day" feature. As we understand it right now, it's "today's number one board", whatever the heck that means. That's also assuming that "board" is even accurate... you probably can't trust this kind of thing to someone who doesn't speak a word of Japanese, LOL. Other kanji I saw that look similar are "cup" and "slope" . :P :P :wub: :(

So we'll just have to wait and see, either from a more knowledgeable source or from what SEGA actually puts there.

#15513 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 05 September 2007 - 06:46 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

I am curious though as to why Japan is fairly lieniant with curse words while here in America it is shameful for young kids to hear or say those words.

Reminds me of when I saw the Japanese episodes of Sonic X on Google Video (before they were all taken down). They're pretty open about using certain American English-language curse words on their show. (Apologies to my international English-speaking friends; I almost slipped on that one.) I also noticed a fair amount of sexual innuendo (or at least what Americans would perceive to be sexual innuendo), which probably explains the "Go touch NiGHTS" line. But it's not like America's innocent somehow. I remember when Disney's Aladdin first came out, and my Dad kept saying that the humor wasn't really intended for children; it took me a while before I understood what he meant. Oh, and Shrek. A purportedly "children's" movie that has Donkey saying something like, "Shrek says he's compensating for something, which I think means he has a really small *omph*". Come on!

I guess my point is that the level of "localization" describe is really nothing more than America's pretentious political correctness.

I wonder if the NiGHTS came in Japan will have any cursing. Doubt it...but you never know what Reala might say.

****! I'm being tried to be paralooped! ^_^

#15276 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 04 September 2007 - 10:24 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Americans would be less likely to mistranslate now then they would back then.
However if they feel any need to "Americanize it" they will change things.

I'm also sure they may at the least re-word some of the stuff. I don't consider it mistranslation if they re-word with different words just as long as its the same general idea. (I don't know why but some people do consider that mistranslation some times.)

In other words if they feel that kids wont understand it they will "Americanize it" other wise it should be fine with the exception that it wont be word from word of the translation above.

I understand that projects like this undergo localization, which is substantially different from mere translation. Localization often includes qualitative judgements of material to be added, removed, or modified based on cultural differences. This is why many gamers import the Japanese titles directly. Don't expect the American or European versions to be identical to the Japanese in every respect.

But the Nightopia is being tried to be deleted by Wizeman [...].

He thinks he's such a l33t h4x0r – we'll show him who's boss! :D

Anyway, I took the liberty of cleaning up Seiya's translation for proper English grammar and style. This is not intended as criticism – if it weren't for Seiya, I wouldn't be able to understand anything from the site at all! And of course I don't claim to speak Japanese. The intention is only to make it a little easier on the ears until SEGA gives us an English JoD site.

Opening:
Did you know?
The world called "Dreams" 1
really exists!

Story
Can you remember your dream that you saw last night?
The most familiar 2 and the most mysterious world we visit when we fall asleep is "Dream".

"Dream" is a different dimension, a world which only our conscious minds visit while sleeping.
We cast a reflection to our conscious minds by the light called Ideya, and create the world of happy dreams 3 called Nightopia.
But Wizeman, who rules the dark and scary world of bad dreams, 4 Nightmare, is trying to destroy Nightopia. 5
This is the story of "Dream", 6 and of the courage of a boy and girl who enter this dream world. 7

My footnotes:
  • Since it appears from Seiya's translation that "Dream" is used as a proper place-name, I decided to leave it this way. It does sound awkward in English, however. If I knew Japanese, I would attempt to coin a better sounding English place-name instead of substituting something generic like "the dreamworld".
  • Seiya's translation read, "Another the most familar". I do not know the intended function of "another", if any, in this sentence.
  • Seiya wrote, "happy dream world." Rearranged for disambiguation: "happy" modifies "dream[s]", not "world"; see footnote on "world of bad dreams" below.
  • Seiya wrote, "dark and scary bad dream world." Here "dark and scary" modify "world", while "bad" modifies "dream[s]", in contrast to the "world of happy dreams" above; the wording is thus rearranged similarly.
  • Seiya's use of the passive voice, "Nightopia is being tried to be deleted by Wizeman", despite sounding absolutely atrocious in English, is actually, humorously, not grammatically incorrect. I wonder if Japanese actually uses such stretches of the passive voice.
  • Seiya wrote, "This is the story of the dream", but evidently using "dream" as a place-name preceeded by the definite article; cf. Seiya's "the Nightopia".
  • Seiya wrote, "who step between such the dream world." It's unclear if "dream" is a place-name here; if so, it would read, "who enter this world, 'Dream'."
I hope this helps at least one of you. :D

And if it doesn't... well, it was an enjoyable intellectual exercise nonetheless. :P

#15588 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 06 September 2007 - 12:02 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

Reala: NiGHTS, get your bitch ass over in the kitchen a go make me a turkey pot pie.
NiGHTS: Oh f*** you asswipe. I'm your got damn dorm mate not a fuckin slave. Go make your own sh!t.

*Then the battle begins.

I would love to see what 4Kids would do with that! :blink:

NiGHTS: I refuse to be trapped in a codependant relationship anymore!

#16593 Japanese Translations

Posted by Deep Loner on 12 September 2007 - 10:57 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

For someone who doesn't know Japanese, looking through an online kanji dictionary trying to find a symbol matching the one on SEGA's website was quite a fun little game. :D

Anyway, this one looks kind of close...
http://www.kanjisite.com/html/start/rhsinfo/r_hanita.html
Perhaps like daily score"board", a top scores list? Maybe something to do with the game's levels (I remember growing up that a level or world was sometimes colloquially called a "board")?

#18133 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 25 September 2007 - 01:25 AM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Don't quote me on it, but I THINK you have almost 2 weeks.

Yes. DiGi said the same thing to me in a private message, which was three days ago at the time of this writing.

That doesn't mean that you should wait two weeks if you want to be in the show, however...