Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Japanese Translations

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Just in yesterday night from our staff person in Japan, Seiya.

"Hello DiGi and TRiPPY!!

I translated the text of Japanese JoD official website.
Well, if you have known already, I'm sorry. ;)

----------
The start up movie
"You know?
The world called "Dreams" is
to exist really..."
----------
ʪ¸ì
The story
Can you remember your dream that you saw last night?
Another the most familiar and the most mysterious world where we visit when we fall asleep... is "Dream"

"Dream" is the different dimension world where only our conscious minds visit while sleeping.
We cast a reflection to our conscious minds by the light called Ideya, and create the happy dream world called Nightopia.
But the Nightopia is being tried to be deleted by Wizeman who rules the dark and scary bad dream world Nightmare.

This is the story of the dream and courage of a boy and girl who step between such the dream world.
----------

Hm other contents isn't opened yet.
If you want more translations, I'll give you of course when other contents will be opened.^^
(...I guess these might be the same text as English website.)

Thank you!!
Seiya

----------------

Most useful : D I'll keep you all updated with her emails.

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Has there been a refernce to Ideya in the JoD stuff before this? I don't remember any... or am I just being my usual forgetful self?

Anyway, this is great, I was really curious as to what the site said! Thanks Seiya!

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Yup Sega mentioned Ideya a little while ago : )

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
Well, besides the shadow in the intro, we now know for sure that Wizeman does play a part in the new game x3.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Now I wonder if they will mis-translate this again on the English website or Guide book and say Wizeman is trying to enter the real world. lol

If I am not mistaken, Kori translated the stuff in the intro ealier, but not the story. Its great to have multiple people working on this.

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Yup Sega mentioned Ideya a little while ago : )

Oops. D= -starts hoping the ideya are in at least one cutscene being all gorgeously done and sparkly and stuff-

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

But the Nightopia is being tried to be deleted by Wizeman

I managed to read this as Nightopia wanting to get deleted by Wizeman. School-tiredness ahoy!

Anyway, thank you Seiya! ;) I hope the site will have more content soon~

Nellie Francis

Nellie Francis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Now I wonder if they will mis-translate this again on the English website or Guide book and say Wizeman is trying to enter the real world. lol

-EVEN WORSE- It might also say that a Pian escaped into the real world, where really the true story is that of the one in Japan!

AND IT GETS MORE AND MORE WORSE!! - Archie might get its rotten mitts on the game, so it could rush its workers into another MONSTROSITY!

THE WORST OF IT ALL!!! - Since Deja Vu has struck all over again in the worst way possible, some kid who would have read these new comics by Archie would accidentally divide by zero!! THUS MAKING THE UNIVERSE IMPLODE!!!!!!!!!1111

Spoiler

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests
Americans would be less likely to mistranslate now then they would back then.
However if they feel any need to "Americanize it" they will change things.

I'm also sure they may at the least re-word some of the stuff. I don't consider it mistranslation if they re-word with different words just as long as its the same general idea. (I don't know why but some people do consider that mistranslation some times.)

In other words if they feel that kids wont understand it they will "Americanize it" other wise it should be fine with the exception that it wont be word from word of the translation above.

Deep Loner

Deep Loner

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Americans would be less likely to mistranslate now then they would back then.
However if they feel any need to "Americanize it" they will change things.

I'm also sure they may at the least re-word some of the stuff. I don't consider it mistranslation if they re-word with different words just as long as its the same general idea. (I don't know why but some people do consider that mistranslation some times.)

In other words if they feel that kids wont understand it they will "Americanize it" other wise it should be fine with the exception that it wont be word from word of the translation above.

I understand that projects like this undergo localization, which is substantially different from mere translation. Localization often includes qualitative judgements of material to be added, removed, or modified based on cultural differences. This is why many gamers import the Japanese titles directly. Don't expect the American or European versions to be identical to the Japanese in every respect.

But the Nightopia is being tried to be deleted by Wizeman [...].

He thinks he's such a l33t h4x0r – we'll show him who's boss! :D

Anyway, I took the liberty of cleaning up Seiya's translation for proper English grammar and style. This is not intended as criticism – if it weren't for Seiya, I wouldn't be able to understand anything from the site at all! And of course I don't claim to speak Japanese. The intention is only to make it a little easier on the ears until SEGA gives us an English JoD site.

Opening:
Did you know?
The world called "Dreams" 1
really exists!

Story
Can you remember your dream that you saw last night?
The most familiar 2 and the most mysterious world we visit when we fall asleep is "Dream".

"Dream" is a different dimension, a world which only our conscious minds visit while sleeping.
We cast a reflection to our conscious minds by the light called Ideya, and create the world of happy dreams 3 called Nightopia.
But Wizeman, who rules the dark and scary world of bad dreams, 4 Nightmare, is trying to destroy Nightopia. 5
This is the story of "Dream", 6 and of the courage of a boy and girl who enter this dream world. 7

My footnotes:
  • Since it appears from Seiya's translation that "Dream" is used as a proper place-name, I decided to leave it this way. It does sound awkward in English, however. If I knew Japanese, I would attempt to coin a better sounding English place-name instead of substituting something generic like "the dreamworld".
  • Seiya's translation read, "Another the most familar". I do not know the intended function of "another", if any, in this sentence.
  • Seiya wrote, "happy dream world." Rearranged for disambiguation: "happy" modifies "dream[s]", not "world"; see footnote on "world of bad dreams" below.
  • Seiya wrote, "dark and scary bad dream world." Here "dark and scary" modify "world", while "bad" modifies "dream[s]", in contrast to the "world of happy dreams" above; the wording is thus rearranged similarly.
  • Seiya's use of the passive voice, "Nightopia is being tried to be deleted by Wizeman", despite sounding absolutely atrocious in English, is actually, humorously, not grammatically incorrect. I wonder if Japanese actually uses such stretches of the passive voice.
  • Seiya wrote, "This is the story of the dream", but evidently using "dream" as a place-name preceeded by the definite article; cf. Seiya's "the Nightopia".
  • Seiya wrote, "who step between such the dream world." It's unclear if "dream" is a place-name here; if so, it would read, "who enter this world, 'Dream'."
I hope this helps at least one of you. :D

And if it doesn't... well, it was an enjoyable intellectual exercise nonetheless. :P

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

I understand that projects like this undergo localization, which is substantially different from mere translation. Localization often includes qualitative judgements of material to be added, removed, or modified based on cultural differences. This is why many gamers import the Japanese titles directly. Don't expect the American or European versions to be identical to the Japanese in every respect.

Pretty much my point exactly only with more detail. ^^;
Most of what I've seen happen was unnecessary in some games and anime. (For example most of what 4Kids does.)

Deep Loner

Deep Loner

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Pretty much my point exactly only with more detail. ^^;
Most of what I've seen happen was unnecessary in some games and anime. (For example most of what 4Kids does.)

If you're referring to Sonic X... yeah, a lot of people complain about that. For some of it, I simply wonder if longer commerical breaks demanded that they cut some stuff. But I agree that it's unpleasant to see content that I like cut out of the localization.

The best way to stop this from happening with JoD right now is to bitch about it as much as possible and let them know that we don't want anything cut!

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs

(For example most of what 4Kids does.)

There not rice balls! They're doughnuts!

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

If you're referring to Sonic X... yeah, a lot of people complain about that. For some of it, I simply wonder if longer commerical breaks demanded that they cut some stuff. But I agree that it's unpleasant to see content that I like cut out of the localization.

The best way to stop this from happening with JoD right now is to bitch about it as much as possible and let them know that we don't want anything cut!

No actually I never watched Sonic X however if you watched most of their other shows they do they are usually heavily edited. Very heavily edited. To the point that it doesn't make any sense as to why they did that. (And much like JaxTH said, they change simple stuff like that with their excuse being "to help Childeren to understand Japanese culture". I have no clue as to why changing a rice ball to look like some other American related food would help a child understand Japanese culture better.)

Should I look for links to the damage they done?

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs

SEGA isn't CAPCOM!

Nellie Francis

Nellie Francis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

SEGA isn't CAPCOM!

What do you mean by that?

Oh...

WHEN THEY TOOK AWAY MY MAXIMO!!

That was a sour move you made, Capcom! Along with not giving Clover their Okami! D<

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Actually you are right. A lot of stuff gets cut out so that it will fit the proper show time here in America. America shows way more commercials than any other country. So the shows need to stick to that show time. America takes making money very seriously. However, I don't think they cut it down completly. I have noticed when I watch Anime edited shows that they are a bit longer than Amrican ones. Still, about 2 min has to be cut out of all Anime edited shows. We can't do anything about it.

Also, I remember watching Pokemon when I was little and wondering why they were calling something a doughnuts when it didn't even look like one. "What the heck is that thing? Thats not a doughnut! Who are you trying to fool." Later on I did find out they were rice balls. But oh well.

Nothing compares to the editing in Yu-Gi-Oh though. They would take away people's guns and instead have them pointing their fingers at a person. lol

Since NiGHTS is mostly being made by Sega of America though, I think the only thing we have to worry about is a little bit of translation issues. Heck, we may not have to worry much at all. Maybe they will mistranslate stuff to Japan. @.@

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
Wow, it's like NiGHTS in the Wii. Pretty much the same thing.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?

Actually you are right. A lot of stuff gets cut out so that it will fit the proper show time here in America. America shows way more commercials than any other country. So the shows need to stick to that show time. America takes making money very seriously. However, I don't think they cut it down completly. I have noticed when I watch Anime edited shows that they are a bit longer than Amrican ones. Still, about 2 min has to be cut out of all Anime edited shows. We can't do anything about it.
Also, I remember watching Pokemon when I was little and wondering why they were calling something a doughnuts when it didn't even look like one. "What the heck is that thing? Thats not a doughnut! Who are you trying to fool." Later on I did find out they were rice balls. But oh well.

Nothing compares to the editing in Yu-Gi-Oh though. They would take away people's guns and instead have them pointing their fingers at a person. lol

Since NiGHTS is mostly being made by Sega of America though, I think the only thing we have to worry about is a little bit of translation issues. Heck, we may not have to worry much at all. Maybe they will mistranslate stuff to Japan. @.@

Well, in Sonic X, the language was also kinda coarse in Japan. Sonic often told Dr. Robotnik (I'm not going to call him by his retarded 'supposed to be durogitory' nickname) to piss off and such if memory serves.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Well, in Sonic X, the language was also kinda coarse in Japan. Sonic often told Dr. Robotnik (I'm not going to call him by his retarded 'supposed to be durogitory' nickname) to piss off and such if memory serves.

Yeah...that would be as likely to translate over here in America as the 'go touch NiGHTS' comment actually appearing in the final version of the game.

However, I think 4Kids was less stict when they first started. Now they just keep getting worse and worse. I remember watching the second episode of Pokemon several years ago and was surprized to hear officer Jenney say, "Speak of the Devil!" Now I know thats not bad or anything, but do you really think they would have let that slide today? No I think not.

I wonder if the NiGHTS came in Japan will have any cursing. Doubt it...but you never know what Reala might say.

I am curious though as to why Japan is fairly lieniant with curse words while here in America it is shameful for young kids to hear or say those words.

Oh translations translations...how big of a pain you are!

Deep Loner

Deep Loner

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

I am curious though as to why Japan is fairly lieniant with curse words while here in America it is shameful for young kids to hear or say those words.

Reminds me of when I saw the Japanese episodes of Sonic X on Google Video (before they were all taken down). They're pretty open about using certain American English-language curse words on their show. (Apologies to my international English-speaking friends; I almost slipped on that one.) I also noticed a fair amount of sexual innuendo (or at least what Americans would perceive to be sexual innuendo), which probably explains the "Go touch NiGHTS" line. But it's not like America's innocent somehow. I remember when Disney's Aladdin first came out, and my Dad kept saying that the humor wasn't really intended for children; it took me a while before I understood what he meant. Oh, and Shrek. A purportedly "children's" movie that has Donkey saying something like, "Shrek says he's compensating for something, which I think means he has a really small *omph*". Come on!

I guess my point is that the level of "localization" describe is really nothing more than America's pretentious political correctness.

I wonder if the NiGHTS came in Japan will have any cursing. Doubt it...but you never know what Reala might say.

****! I'm being tried to be paralooped! ^_^

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

DIALOGUE IS ONLY MEANT FOR 17 YEAR OLDS AND UP NO CHILDREN SHOULD READ THIS. I KNOW THEY WILL THOUGH. LITTLE KIDS THESE DAYS I SWEAR.

Reala: NiGHTS, get your bitch ass over in the kitchen a go make me a turkey pot pie.
NiGHTS: Oh f*** you asswipe. I'm your got damn dorm mate not a fuckin slave. Go make your own sh!t.

*Then the battle begins.

Sorry for the cussing people. I was tempted by the dark powers of Wizeman ^_^

Deep Loner

Deep Loner

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Reala: NiGHTS, get your bitch ass over in the kitchen a go make me a turkey pot pie.
NiGHTS: Oh f*** you asswipe. I'm your got damn dorm mate not a fuckin slave. Go make your own sh!t.

*Then the battle begins.

I would love to see what 4Kids would do with that! :blink:

NiGHTS: I refuse to be trapped in a codependant relationship anymore!

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
But the Reala is being tried to be paralooped by NiGHTS! :blink:

NiGHTS: Hey, Helen, touch me. C'mon. You know you want to.

Helen: :( SEXUALE HARRASMENT!!!

-JOD BANNED-

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

But the Reala is being tried to be paralooped by NiGHTS! ^_^

NiGHTS: Hey, Helen, touch me. C'mon. You know you want to.

Helen: :o SEXUALE HARRASMENT!!!

-JOD BANNED-

lol you think that's bad. imagine Will under fire *cringe

Blue Fantasy

Blue Fantasy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, video games, comics, reading, writing, drawing, anime

At the risk of the wrath of a thousand NiGHTS fans... (and in my defense, I had NiGHTS and adored it long before I ever got the internets)... Um... So what was he trying to do then? Why was the last stage a merging of reality and Nightopia? I'm confused now.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

At the risk of the wrath of a thousand NiGHTS fans... (and in my defense, I had NiGHTS and adored it long before I ever got the internets)... Um... So what was he trying to do then? Why was the last stage a merging of reality and Nightopia? I'm confused now.

Your telling me. I haven't been not confused for over 10 years. :P

Camittles

Camittles

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:animating, modeling, video production, tattoos, piercings, dyed hair, body modification, art, cartoons, comics, video games, 1980's, action figures, my little ponies, live music/shows, mac computers, bright colors, makeup, neil gaiman, dave mckean, david mack, taco bell, woodchuck cider, amaretto sours, mythology, alternate subcultures

Your telling me. I haven't been not confused for over 10 years. :P

I had always assumed it was because the two worlds were threatening to become one, which, is what I thought in the game, Wizeman's goal was. *shrugs*

Blue Fantasy

Blue Fantasy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, video games, comics, reading, writing, drawing, anime
Oh good, it's not just me that's lost. XD

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

All I know is what the japanese guide books says. I don't know the reason for the different translations, I don't know why Twin Seeds is there. Maybe it just a dreamscape both Eilliot and Clairs relate to and thus Wizeman is there. I really have no clue. All I know is I am more inclined to belive the Japanese translation than the American one.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Hmm, maybe Twin Seeds was there to make the world of dreams more "real" for Elliot and Claris - yanno, so they don't just wake up and think, "Oh phew, just a dream!" To have the threat of Nightmare looming over your hometown makes one try harder!

... or the designers thought it'd be really cool..? 8D *shot*

Anyhoo, yay for Seiya! He/She (I'm not sure, gomen ne!) probably knows WAY more kanji than I, so this is great to have someone from Japan helping us! And thanks for the English-ized translation Deep Loner! :3 It's tough to find time to sit down and translate, no thanks to work and family and such, but I want to help however I can!

For the sake of organization, I'll migrate my translation of the main menu from the "Japanese JOD site is up!" topic.

NiGHTS: JOD Main - (left to right)

Top row:
1. Top Page - toppu peiji
2. Story - MONOGATARI
3. Character - kyarakutaa
4. Gallery - gyararii

Bottom Row:
1. Notice - oSHIrase
2. Game Introduction - gemu SHOUKAI
3. Stage Introduction - sute~ji SHOUKAI
4. Today's 1 ____ - KONNICHI no 1 (?)

Can anyone help with that last kanji? ;____; The closest I've found is KOU, the character for "school". Maybe it's like a tip of the day feature? XD;; I really have no clue..!

Deep Loner

Deep Loner

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

And thanks for the English-ized translation Deep Loner! :3

Please be careful. I didn't translate anything; I merely cleaned up Seiya's English.

Deep Loner

Deep Loner

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
For someone who doesn't know Japanese, looking through an online kanji dictionary trying to find a symbol matching the one on SEGA's website was quite a fun little game. :D

Anyway, this one looks kind of close...
http://www.kanjisite.com/html/start/rhsinfo/r_hanita.html
Perhaps like daily score"board", a top scores list? Maybe something to do with the game's levels (I remember growing up that a level or world was sometimes colloquially called a "board")?

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Ah, yes, that's what I meant! ^^; Sorry, I can't type too well in the later hours of the day.

Ooooohhh, that kanji looks pretty accurate! It would make sense to have a score board of some sort, or even a daily feature, sorta kinda similar to the Smash Bros. site. Thanks again! (LOL You hunted through the same site I did! Woot! :3)

b_boult

b_boult

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
http://gonintendo.com/?p=24872

New trailer coming later tonight.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=24872

New trailer coming later tonight.

We love you. I can't believe I missed that on Gonintendo. Let's hope TRiPPY and DiGi's computer will work this time.

NiGHTSfan123

NiGHTSfan123

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
He also said its looking better so lets pray this is true.

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

For someone who doesn't know Japanese, looking through an online kanji dictionary trying to find a symbol matching the one on SEGA's website was quite a fun little game. :D

Anyway, this one looks kind of close...
http://www.kanjisite.com/html/start/rhsinfo/r_hanita.html
Perhaps like daily score"board", a top scores list? Maybe something to do with the game's levels (I remember growing up that a level or world was sometimes colloquially called a "board")?

How about the possibility of "Forums"? (Community boards?)

Deep Loner

Deep Loner

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

How about the possibility of "Forums"? (Community boards?)

Right now it's anyone's guess. Kori's translation suggests some kind of "of the day" feature. As we understand it right now, it's "today's number one board", whatever the heck that means. That's also assuming that "board" is even accurate... you probably can't trust this kind of thing to someone who doesn't speak a word of Japanese, LOL. Other kanji I saw that look similar are "cup" and "slope" . :P :P :wub: :(

So we'll just have to wait and see, either from a more knowledgeable source or from what SEGA actually puts there.

Drannorean

Drannorean

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Since we're all talking about the Sega Japan website, I'd like to tell you that on the TGS page, there are now screenshots, and one of them is from a level I don't think that I've seem before.

Here is a link.
Also, a couple shots actually have the HUD and scores listed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users