Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kaze no Klonoa

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Before I had the pleasure of discovering NiGHTS into Dreams, there was a little game called Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. Though it's very short (it can be beaten in no time), and the characters are all cute, with high-pitched voices, it's one game that I absolutely love to bits, and no other game can top it for me.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with or have forgotten about the story, I'll summarize it for you:
Klonoa, a strange cabbit-like creature, has a nightmare where everything is consumed by darkness. The next day, he and his friend, Huepow, see a ship crash in the side of a hill. When they go to investigate, they witness the abduction of Lephise, a legendary diva gifted with the ability to sing the Song of Rebirth, by a dark spectre named Ghadius. They soon find out that he intends to use her as a host to revive Nahatomb, who will then release nightmares upon Phantomile, thus causing the world to decay and fall into darkness. Klonoa and Huepow set out to stop him...

It was the first game that had EVER made me cry at the end. Many people say that Aeris' death in FF7 was the saddest scene in any game, but I've always found the end of Door to Phantomile to be heart-breaking.

Klonoa is the game that always inspires me. I don't know what I would've done all these years without it.

Unfortunately, the sequels, though they were entertaining, never managed to surpass the original, and I patiently await the next installment of the series. Whenever that may be...

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
I have always wanted to try a Klonoa game but never got around to it. I should really try it out. This particular game sounds very interesting, I will be sure to investigate it.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
I have that game! ...I'm stuck in the last level >_< I really like it though, the graphics and designs are cute and the gameplay is fun.

Roam

Roam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Gaming, Music,
I've always wanted to play the first one. Sadly I've only played Lunatea's Veil and the GBA RPG.

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I have that game! ...I'm stuck in the last level >_< I really like it though, the graphics and designs are cute and the gameplay is fun.

The Moon Kingdom level? Or is it one of the last bosses?
I had a hard time with those when I first played it. D:

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests
Ah yes that was the first game I ever played dream related.
Beat it in one sitting unfortunately...
But loved it either way.
(Also unfortunate I had rented the game rather than buying it. Then again it wasn't really avalible in any of the stores around here anyhow. :S )

AirMax

AirMax

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:school-survival.net, NiD, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, anime, awesome, scoreattack.net
I remember seeing a stand and a demo about him at Toys 'R Us. Same day though, I saw the thing for Sonic Adventure, and I liked Sonic a lot back when I was like, 7. So sadly, I never played it..

Ana-mana-mate

Ana-mana-mate

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, video games, Sonic, Klonoa, art/drawing/photography, music, dreaming, anime and manga
I absolutly love Klonoa:Door to Phantomile! One of the greatest games I've ever played! :)

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition
Oh my goodness! There are other Klonoa fans on this board? I'm so glad to meet you all!
I agree with NeoKairi, though... no matter how many times I clear the Final Vision, that ending cinematic brings tears to my eyes. I was practically sobbing when I first beat the game... I was about 12 back then, and I'll never forget that moment. What an experience.
However... Neo, you mention that it's a fairly easy game to complete? Well. It may be, if you don't go the hard way-- which I did!
You know those Phantomilian "bubbles" in every level? Have you collected all of them? I managed to, but it took me forever. It was worth every second, though... it unlocks not only an incredibly fun bonus level, but also the entire version of the theme as sung by the Level Select Phantomilians. That's a gorgeous song.
Currently I'm trying to collect all the Dream Stones in each level. Now that's a challenge! I'll be sure to inform you if I ever succeed... I just need to dig out the old Playstation again sometime.
Well, that's all I have to say...otherwise I'll start rambling.
I'm glad you brought up this game! NiGHTS and Klonoa truly go hand-in-hand!

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
Ooh... I played a demo of Klonoa AWHILE back, in 'round 2002? Or something.

Anyway, I really liked playing it ^^, but I never got a chance to get the full version ><. I did hear that it was dream-themed, and I know Official Playstation Magazine did a whole special on the series. For that matter, I know a lot of the staff members like NiGHTS... I think >_>.

I need to play it sometime :3. I've been giving all these games I was slightly interested in chances (Twisted Metal, Kingdom Hearts, Guitar Hero, Okage: Shadow King) and ended up really liking them, so I really should get Klonoa sometime.

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Oh my goodness! There are other Klonoa fans on this board? I'm so glad to meet you all!
I agree with NeoKairi, though... no matter how many times I clear the Final Vision, that ending cinematic brings tears to my eyes. I was practically sobbing when I first beat the game... I was about 12 back then, and I'll never forget that moment. What an experience.
However... Neo, you mention that it's a fairly easy game to complete? Well. It may be, if you don't go the hard way-- which I did!
You know those Phantomilian "bubbles" in every level? Have you collected all of them? I managed to, but it took me forever. It was worth every second, though... it unlocks not only an incredibly fun bonus level, but also the entire version of the theme as sung by the Level Select Phantomilians. That's a gorgeous song.
Currently I'm trying to collect all the Dream Stones in each level. Now that's a challenge! I'll be sure to inform you if I ever succeed... I just need to dig out the old Playstation again sometime.
Well, that's all I have to say...otherwise I'll start rambling.
I'm glad you brought up this game! NiGHTS and Klonoa truly go hand-in-hand!

Yep, I managed to collect all the Phantomilians and Gem Stones. However, I didn't do it the first time I played. It's one of those things where I suddenly thought "Wait! I still have more stuff to do!" and then I spent the next week working on that.
But collecting all the Gem Stones in the Bonus Level was... hard. Very, very hard. -__-;;

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

The Moon Kingdom level? Or is it one of the last bosses?
I had a hard time with those when I first played it. D:

Actually, I think I'm in the level before that... the one where the light keeps disappearing.

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Oooh. I see what you're talking about. It was the Sun Temple level. D:
It took me a while to finish, because I was getting reeeally frustrated sometimes. The boss on this stage, Joka, is also a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, he's easy to defeat.

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition

Oooh. I see what you're talking about. It was the Sun Temple level. D:
It took me a while to finish, because I was getting reeeally frustrated sometimes. The boss on this stage, Joka, is also a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, he's easy to defeat.

Those flying fish things annoy the heck out of me! That and when you're trying to jump onto one of the sideways, moving platforms to reach a door in the back of the scenery... and these infernal blue parrot-ghosts start ambushing you! Does that drive anyone else mad?

Oh, but dear heavens, do I adore Joka!!! <3 <3 He was incredibly hard, though, until you got the hang of it. Still manages to smash me up good, though. ^_^ Tricky little bugger. Can you imagine him at last boss level difficulty? Holy fish! Now that would be a fight!

By the way... has anyone here played Sonic Rush? Is it just me, or do the first two bosses in Sonic's story seem uncannily similar to those of Klonoa? Gelg Bolm and Blade, to be precise?

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
I bought a shitty Ps2 specifically to play Klonoa2. but it was so hard to find a copy for many years. I ended up with Okami, Burnout 3, and Klonoa2 finally. I LOOOOVE Klonoa2. Such a cute game and so incredibly fun. Tat is so cute.

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I bought a shitty Ps2 specifically to play Klonoa2. but it was so hard to find a copy for many years. I ended up with Okami, Burnout 3, and Klonoa2 finally. I LOOOOVE Klonoa2. Such a cute game and so incredibly fun. Tat is so cute.

I'm thinking of doing the same. XD
Where'd you get your copy of the sequel-- a game store or what? I can't find any around my hometown, so for now I'm kind of stuck.

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I know you can find some used ones at places like Blockbuster. That is... if you live in the good o' YOOO ESSS AYE. If not, there's always eBay!

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />

I'm thinking of doing the same. XD
Where'd you get your copy of the sequel-- a game store or what? I can't find any around my hometown, so for now I'm kind of stuck.

I found it used at Gamestop. I never saw it there before but it was sitting next to Chulip. I neverp layed the first Klonoa I hear its similar but I DO NOT want a PSone. but the second game is probably more fun anyway (and cuter)

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I'll admit that the sequel is a bit more fun to play, however, I find that the first one has a better story.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Just saw a video. I've never heard of this game before even though I surrounded myself with many gamers as a young child.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Klonoa is to my younger sister as NiGHTS is to me! XD When we played it the first time, I got stuck in the blasted Sun Temple level. But she had a bit more free time than I did, and she plowed through it so easily!

The ending though... UWAAAAAHHHH. We both hold back tears whenever we see it... ;___;

Fantastic adorable platformer! I had to pay an arm and a leg to get a copy off eBay, but it's totally worth it. They just don't make games like Klonoa anymore. XP We need more games that are gorgeous and involve dreams! WAHOO!

(Nowadays, it only takes my sister a few days to beat the game 100%, INCLUDING all gems, INCLUDING the bonus stage. Is that sick or what?? XD)

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Never played/heard of it, but it seems like a crazy-fun game.

MYSTiCCOOKiE

MYSTiCCOOKiE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Costumes, sewing and petsites ^^
Gah I absolutely love Klonoa! I've never been able to play the games though D: A demo version of Lunatea's Veil came with my playstation when I bought it and it was so cute! But I much prefer Klonoas old look in Door to Phantomile.
I think he's so adorable I used to have pictures of him on my school bag xD
I must get hold of that game somehow...

Dark Magician

Dark Magician

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Creative writing, drawing, video games, manga/anime, and astronomy. Writing more would probably take too much time.
I've heard of Klonoa, but I never had the honor of playing the game. I'll have to search it out...

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I remember this game! I played it back on the PS1... the disk was almost cracked completely in-half when I rented it... but the game was so good I somehow managed to get the disk playing! It was the first game I played non-stop until I beat it... the game froze constantly almost 5 times per level, but each time it did so I would restart form the last save and try again until I managed to get to the next one... granted the game was too short and way too easy...

I was extremely pleased when I saw that they remade it for the Wii!!!
I just bought it and I'm enjoying it just as much as I did the last one! it got a major graphics overhaul but is still beautiful in terms of music, gameplay, and environment...

P.S. the remake is in English... which surprisingly isn't that bad... but fans of the series will want to go to the options and change the language to Phantomile...

For those of you who didn't play it back in the day now is your chance...
DON'T MISS IT!

additionally...

Hideo Yoshizawa, the executive director/producer of the Klonoa series has stated the if the series was well received, he is willing to remake Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil for the Wii, and will likely make a Klonoa 3 afterwards, to develop the character

WAHOO!

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Klonoa sounds pretty interesting, based on what you all have said. i've never even hear of it before, so now I must open Google and check it out. XD

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
ah Klonoa, so many good times, it was one of the first PS1 games
I really enjoyed that game, not too hard but not too easy, and also the way how the characters speak is so funny xD

and I must agree, the ending was quite sad, poor Klonoa ;~;

but I've heard that they're releasing a Wiimake, I cant wait to get it 8D

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Those who are wanting to play this are in luck becasue I recentyl rented a remake of the orignal (I think someone double check for me) for the wii I just the same as you described and for graphics not half bad bandai-namco did It believe.

Posted Image

I checked it is a remake with original content I think. Did they have costumes in the orignal and it is out.

SegaSaturnGal

SegaSaturnGal

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Location:Louisiana, USA (I finally got out of your Saturn's CPU)

Those who are wanting to play this are in luck becasue I recentyl rented a remake of the orignal (I think someone double check for me) for the wii I just the same as you described and for graphics not half bad bandai-namco did It believe.

Posted Image

I checked it is a remake with original content I think. Did they have costumes in the orignal and it is out.

Costumes:No.
Out: Yes.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
How do you get the other costumes? I can't find anything on the options or any other menu...

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.
...I hated the English voices in the remake... >.< Good thing you can turn them back to the original Phantomile language...

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

...I hated the English voices in the remake... >.< Good thing you can turn them back to the original Phantomile language...

yeah I mean like, why did they make Klonoa sound like a 16 years old freak? D:

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Well, knowing several guys 16 years old, I can say that that's definitely not what they sound like, but yeah, I know what you mean, Rachell. The English voice of Klonoa sounds odd to me, and I've never played a Klonoa game before this one. I thought all the other voices fit, though, and the voice acting in general isn't bad at all. I was actually surprised at how good it was (I guess 'cause I'm used to stuff like Mega Man X8 and JoD). But the Phantomile voices are even better--good expression and Klonoa's voice is more like I pictured it to be--so I choose to listen to those.

Though I've watched clips of the original game on YouTube, and it seems to me that the actual recording of the Phantomile language varies slightly in the remake (not just the dialogue in the boxes). I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it. Can someone with a good ear confirm/discount this?

SegaSaturnGal

SegaSaturnGal

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Location:Louisiana, USA (I finally got out of your Saturn's CPU)

How do you get the other costumes? I can't find anything on the options or any other menu...

1. Beat the game
2. Have a combined total of 600 dream crystals or more

Klonoa 2 "zipper shirt": 600 crystals
Japanese Summer Festival clothing: 900 crystals
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile collar outfit: 1,200 crystals

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

1. Beat the game

collecting those dream crystals has been always a nightmare for me ;_; *headdesk*

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

1. Beat the game

Y'know, right after I posted that question, I thought to myself, "You stupid idiot, that's the kind of stuff that's usually unlocked by beating the game." But thanks for answering my question.

I beat it today, finally. :P The ending was heartwrenching, and not at all what I was expecting. My eyes watered. But my brothers ruined it a bit with their comments. :blink: Oh, well.

I didn't know you had to have gotten a certain number of crystals for that, though. I grabbed so many during the game for extra lives, that I unlocked all those outfits already.

I want them to remake Klonoa 2 for the Wii, also, so I can see what happens next and play some more of this. Is Hewpoe in Klonoa 2 at all?

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

I want them to remake Klonoa 2 for the Wii, also, so I can see what happens next and play some more of this. Is Hewpoe in Klonoa 2 at all?

Did no one read my post?
1. They will remake Klonoa 2 if Klonoa for the Wii gets a good reception AND if that one gets good reception they will make Klonoa 3!
2. Hewpoe is not in Klonoa 2 you get a small... alien... mole... dog... thing... idk... here's a pic...
Posted Image

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Did no one read my post?
1. They will remake Klonoa 2 if Klonoa for the Wii gets a good reception AND if that one gets good reception they will make Klonoa 3!
2. Hewpoe is not in Klonoa 2 you get a small... alien... mole... dog... thing... idk... here's a pic...
Posted Image

1. I did read your post. I was more voicing my support for the idea. Sorry to confuse you.
2. *sigh* Well, that's a little disappointing, but it seems like an awesome game anyways, so I'd still love to play it. Thanks for answering my question, Saifer. ^_^

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
just beated the game today

GOD THE END KEEPS BEING AS HEARTWRENCHING AS THE ORIGINAL ONE!!! ;n;

but of all the things I've unlocked there's still something that I think is missing
in the PS1 version you get to unlock a secret stage and the sountrack theater, are those unavaliable on the wii version?

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

in the PS1 version you get to unlock a secret stage and the sountrack theater, are those unavaliable on the wii version?

Yes... On my first play through I unlocked everything!
You get costumes for collecting those dream shards... and other things for collecting those... symbol things... you know... when you pop the container with it a little character pops out and it fills up abit of that symbol?
Lets see you can unlock...
Movie Viewer
Data Viewer
Reverse Mode (Have yet to try it)
Time Trial (Have yet to try it)
Extra Mode (Need to beat to unlock the music player poses a nice difficulty but the fact that each room has about 9 lives at the entrance kind of ruins it... not that it matters I suppose... after the first playthrough I had 59 lives...)
and Music Player (yay!)

1. I did read your post. I was more voicing my support for the idea. Sorry to confuse you.
2. *sigh* Well, that's a little disappointing, but it seems like an awesome game anyways, so I'd still love to play it. Thanks for answering my question, Saifer. :wub:

1. It's my fault... sorry... I've been in a cruddy mood lately...
2. Don't worry, I played the second one and I remember liking him/her/it (can't remember) but he/she/it's cool...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users