Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Another NiGHTS fangame [complete]

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
That's great, Razer! I can't draw an Ideya Palace to save my life. :P

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Quick question: is anyone bothered by the low sound quality? I think I've found out how to play mp3 files, so I could use music of better quality without increasing the size, but I don't know if it's worth making the changes. (plus I've read it doesn't work if you don't have the right dll file or something).

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
It's Just fine. Will this game have Level transformations like how you could turn into a sled or a mermaid in the first game?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
May I request gameplay footage be posted online, such as YouTube? I can't run the game until I install a Windows partition thingy and I wanna see it in action.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

It's Just fine. Will this game have Level transformations like how you could turn into a sled or a mermaid in the first game?

Yes, there should be a mermaid transformation.

May I request gameplay footage be posted online, such as YouTube? I can't run the game until I install a Windows partition thingy and I wanna see it in action.

Alright, I'll try. I have no idea how to capture footage but I'll try to find out.

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
You could try recording with Fraps. It works on your Reala game!
EDIT: Never Mind, It lags like heck.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I managed to record a video with Fraps actually, thanks for the advice.
Though it's a bit slower than the game (Fraps could only record the video at about 80 fps instead of 100), and after compression, the quality is rather bad. Also, I couldn't record more than 30 seconds. And I'm not really a good player.

I've uploaded the video on megaupload because I don't have a YouTube account.
link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=USGOAAPW

The video shows the first mare of the first level. Some of the graphics are temporary.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Thanks Kentilan, I can see it now at least. I had a thought to give NiGHTS added frames so he has an animated flight like in the game, is this possible? I dunno what the limits of the software might be.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Yes, that's possible. That would be nice, thanks.

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
The Game's looking great! I just can't wait for it to be finished!

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
On the programming side, I think it's pretty much complete now. I'll just have to write the credits and set the rank requirements. I guess I'll do level design now.
Anyway, does anyone know how to determine the ranks requirements? Is there any way or formula to find out how many points you need for a A rank for example?

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
I don't know any formula, just that the number of points for any rank differ between stages. I'd say it depends how easy it is to wrack up points in the level. The more bonus stuff in there (like trick rings, easy grouping of blue chips, etc) the higher the point requirement for each grade/rank.

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I could also rip some graphics from NiD if you need anything like HUD.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Never noted specifics myself, even Score Attack doesn't list score requirements. Guess one simple way to go about it would be figuring what you need for a C rank, and then subtract from that for lower ranks (like, half or 2/3 of a C score nets a D, and less is an E). Likewise maybe scoring 50% more gets you a B, and double that gets an A. I dunno, this sounds complicated. Maybe Charlie knows, or PM Peter or someone..

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

I could also rip some graphics from NiD if you need anything like HUD.

No thanks, I've already made the HUD.

Guess one simple way to go about it would be figuring what you need for a C rank

But how should I do that?

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
I can't wait for the website to be done so i can properly showcase this!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yeh, it's partly because of things like this fangame that has given us a kick in the ass to fix up the website a bit and make it more presentable.

Keep up the good work.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
As for calculating the ranks for each mare, there isn't a calculation (as far as I know). In NiD they are all different and they really just depend on the difficulty of the level. I might have a list or a book that says what they are for all the mares in NiD, but I don't think that'll really help for your game Kentilan. It will need to be a part of the level design I guess.

By the way, I'm rrrreeeaaaalllyyy sorry for not creating any levels lately. I know I promised to help out and I did get started, but work is draining the life out of me.

I do still want to help but I can't hold you up, so please go ahead without me if that's what you think is best.

I must say that you've done an amazing job so far Kentilan! Keep it up!

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I guess I'll just put random numbers... It doesn't really matter since the ranks don't unlock anything.

charlie, can you please send me the second level you made? I think you said you had modified it afterwards...
Meanwhile I've tried to make some levels myself, but I think they suck. I'll keep on making levels but if you ever find the time to make another one I'll gladly accept it.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I'll send you a pm with my mare 1 and 2. I'll see what I can do for mare 3 and 4 so at least 1 dream is complete.

Dream 2 and 3 are gonna be fun to design with the new objects (I won't give them away in case you haven't said anything yet! :) )

But I agree with you that it's tough to design levels. It takes a lot of time and testing to get it right and I think that's why I've been procastinating...it's also hard to make each of them unique.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I still wanna try my hand at designing a Mare or two.. are there set dimensions for those? Also, if the new background has been integrated it'd be neat to see new vid.. thanku

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
This is looking fantastic Kentilan! Really shaping up well! Im loving how all the neat little touches like the stars and chips homing in on NiGHTS when you do a paraloop etc. :D

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.
i love you

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

I still wanna try my hand at designing a Mare or two.. are there set dimensions for those?

No, the mares can have the size you want, except that the height can't be more than 12 tiles.
If you need more info about level design, just send me a PM.

Also, if the new background has been integrated it'd be neat to see new vid.. thanku

Here's a new video (this one has been downscaled a bit):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=240RLPYD

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
The latest video does show a nice sense of speed, which i like. Good stuff!

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Could you make it so after NiGHTS stops, He slowly sinks to the ground like on the game?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Ah, cool. I'm currently working on the flight animation frames.. By the way nice job on the Dust effects and such. I'd be up for doing new Chip/Star graphics too, if you like.. Oh, and also we gotta tackle Nightmaren..

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Could you make it so after NiGHTS stops, He slowly sinks to the ground like on the game?

Alright. It shouldn't be difficult.

I'd be up for doing new Chip/Star graphics too, if you like..

Why, you don't like the ones I did? =p
Seriously though, I think you already have enough stuff to do. I don't want to give you too much work.

Oh, and also we gotta tackle Nightmaren..

You mean enemies? I had kinda forgotten about them. That would require some effort to implement. Which nightmarens do you want?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Adds a bit of depth to have them in there though, maybe a Shleep or two at least.. anyway this could come later, no worries

p.s. imploding rings..

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Corrected flying sprite, this should be more appropriate- Posted Image

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Great, thanks!

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Three words: THIS LOOKS AWESOME!

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
Its looking great so far :) I tried out the demo in the first page and it was having some issues on my computer, but that's to be expected being that I run on linux and wine can only do so much ;) I can't wait to see this finished, good luck with everything :)

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Thanks.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I'm really, really sorry everyone, but, this game is taking too much time to complete, and I don't have any more patience. So I have decided to release the game next week, in whatever state it is. It will be complete, though, just not as good as it could have been. Again, I'm really sorry.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
That's a shame. Still, at least you're letting us have what you have made so far. Most NiGHTS fan game projects never make it in to actual development so the fact that this is somewhat built is good enough for anybody here, i'd imagine.

Thanks for the time spent on making this ;)

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Awww man, that is a shame. And I feel partly responsible because I know I've been taking a while creating the levels.

Is there any way I can continue to create levels and you can implement them and re-release?

I've never really been given a deadline so I'm sorry if I was too slow...

Still, I'm glad that people will get to enjoy what you've created because I absolutely love it!

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Ah, nerts. I'm in the middle of the flight sprites..

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Is there any way I can continue to create levels and you can implement them and re-release?

Sorry, but there won't be any other releases; once the game is released, I'll leave.
However you can still send levels before the release. I think I'll release the game on the 7th or 8th, that should give me enough time to complete the programming, levels and graphics. (except the mermaid sprites; I don't think I can do them myself so I'll have to replace them with normal sprites...)

I've never really been given a deadline so I'm sorry if I was too slow...

Don't be sorry, it's not your fault; it's just my fault for being too impatient. Thanks for all your help.

Sorry. If you can complete them before the release I'll add them, else I'm sorry if I made you waste your time.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Viper. I'll say finish them anyway, regardless if you miss the deadline or not. It is a bit unfortunate that yet another NiGHTS fan project is being left unfinished but if you finish off those sprites then who knows when we could use them in the future.

People come in and out of this fanbase all the time. Someone else might turn up one day needing NiGHTS sprites for a project they're working on. If you can, finish them because they do really look lovely and it would be a shame if they were also left incomplete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users