Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

• Please log in to reply
1166 replies to this topic

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling

PRESS RELEASE – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RACE INTO POLE POSITION WITH SONIC & SEGA ALL-STARS RACING

Get ready for the ultimate racing showdown with Sonic and his SEGA friends!

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (May 28th, 2009) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® America, Inc., today announced Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, a fast and furious battle to the finish line in this supercharged racer. Developed for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the home video game system, Wii™ and the Nintendo DS™ system, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing will speed into stores in early 2010.

In a frantic battle to the chequered flag, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing sees Sonic and friends speed around tracks set in mediaeval castle ramparts, lush rainforests and bustling cities, all taken from the visually rich and varied universes of Sonic and SEGA. Fan favourites such as Dr. Eggman, Tails, AiAi, Amigo and many more will join Sonic in their custom built vehicles, revving their engines and jostling to stay ahead of the pack. Each character will race around the track in cars, planes, motorbikes, and in AiAi’s case – a banana mobile! Secret short cuts, swift handling and avoiding strategically placed obstacles are certainly the best way to get to the top of the podium.

“Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is no ordinary racing game. Its huge variety of characters and vehicles, plus the ability to play both online and off set it apart from other games of this type” commented Gary Knight European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe Ltd. “The team have pushed the boundaries on what you would normally expect and created a different and unique party racing title whereby you really can’t take anything for granted!”

And winning is only part of the fun in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing! Each character has a specific All Star move such as Super Sonic, Banana Blitz and Tails Tornado, allowing a quick way for competitors to get back into the race! Power ups and weapons can also be collected around the tracks and used against the opposition to ensure they don’t become a threat to that number one position… Players can battle it out in single or multiplayer mode, allowing up to four friends to race in frantic split-screen action, or up to eight players to compete online in the ultimate racing showdown.

Can Amigo scramble Dr. Eggman? Will AiAi say bye-bye to Tails? Are you gonna be faster than Sonic? The race will start in 2010… For more information please visit: www.sega.com/sonicracing.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone think NiGHTS is going to be in this?

:-)

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I am looking forward to this. I love racing games and if this is a game full up with bundles of nostalgic goodness that was in Sega Superstars Tennis then i'm sold.

Just put NiGHTS in it and i will be quite happy :P

Plus, the inclusion of online play is a good extra to have, me thinks.

And they say it's due for 2010 so they've got plenty of time to work the mechanics so it plays wonderfully. Use the time wisely, Sumo Digital. I'm expecting good things from you.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Oh man we SO have to have a website tournie! >:P

(WHICH I WILL COME LAST IN. BUT STILL!)

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I think it's a strong possibility... although it would look abit odd seeing NiGHTS driving... maybe he is a vehicle option? lol

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
:P Wow. Wasn't expecting this.

Anyone think NiGHTS is going to be in this?

He'd better! You can't have a "Sega Stars" game without NiGHTS!

Sounds fun anyway.

And they say it's due for 2010 so they've got plenty of time to work the mechanics so it plays wonderfully. Use the time wisely, Sumo Digital. I'm expecting good things from you.

Yeah, I was quite surprised to see that it's planned for 2010. I thought they usually announce games about 6 months before release.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Just seen this myself, and I'm actually looking forward to it. With enough time behind it it could be the Mario Kart many want for the 360. And of course, it'll be all the more worthwhile with NiGHTS :P. So yeah, in full support of this I am. Zero, you-me-race. Winner takes all. Whatever all is.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Imagine all the games they could use for levels too *v* So many characters can be put in.... though I'm betting its about the same amount as in SEGA Superstars Tennis. But still i loved that game. It was colorful and happy nostalgia.

NiGHTS in a car being weird, yeah.... but remember he also had a board in Sonic Riders...

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Is it just me or does sonic's car looks like the one in the sonic drift series and yes I think nights willl be in it and I'm hoping reala also like in superstar tennis

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Reala's car would be badass.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Is it just me or does sonic's car looks like the one in the sonic drift series

I noticed that too. Though his old one was red, if i remember correctly. I think Sumo Digital wanted to keep Sonic's car the same design as to pay homage to Sonic Drift.

As for what NiGHTS would drive in. I'm betting, 10 to 1, it's gonna be some kinda hover-car. Maybe futuristic stylings. I would LOVE to see him in a Lowrider, roof down, chrome wheels and a kick ass paint design. One arm hanging outside the car, the other arm on the steeringwheel. ....yes, too much to ask, i know. Plus, it's completely out of character but who cares, right? Sonic's in a car. How out of character do we need to get?? Put NiGHTS in a damn Lowrider already!! XD

And then Jof said -

Zero, you-me-race. Winner takes all. Whatever all is.

I'm gonna have to muscle in on your little one-on-one with Zero. I'm calling a free-for-all. Winner takes the piss and has bragging rights about being the hottest driver in the illegal underground Sega street racing scene. Might land a girl or two.

Ryo Hazuki needs to feature and drive a forklift!!! :P

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
LOL YES! RYO IN A FORKLIFT. NEED.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

“The team have pushed the boundaries on what you would normally expect and created a different and unique party racing title whereby you really can’t take anything for granted!”

Why do I have a feeling that this translates to
FAIL!

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I personally think NiGHTS and Reala would be awesome on motorbikes, actually - slim, agile and quick - but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what comes of this. ^-^

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
Omg I want this game! D:

And to hop on the challenge bandwagon, I challenge everyone who won't cry when they get their arse whopped by a girl. ;3

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
In terms of % how much do you guys think NiGHTS will be included?

And lol, I am DIGGING for gossip right now ;D trust me.

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

I'm %10,000 sure NiGHTS is in it. I'm pushing for Reala too. (a girl can dream!)

And SEGA needs to put NiGHTS on a motorbike. Reala too. D:

Dig TRiPPY, DIG!!!!!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I do find it a little odd that NiGHTS was not mentioned as a character in the initial line-up, though.

...they would add NiGHTS to this, won't they? I mean, they wouldn't have any reason to add someone like AiAi and not NiGHTS, surely. .. ?

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.
Amy's on it too, just look at the screenshots. which suggests to me that all of the people from Sega Superstars Tennis are on it, and then some! :P NiGHTS should most definitely be on it, if not i will be very disappointed

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
So whatsis? MarioKart bandwagon? My main request is for Sonic to be on foot, and if NiGHTS is in it, maybe he turns himself into a car, rather than giving him a car.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
Wow, I'm sorry, but this sounds like THE DUMBEST GAME EVER. Like, seriously. Dumber than Mortal Kombat vs. DC. And THAT is DUMB. The majority of "Sega All-Stars" have ways of getting around on their own without stupidly designed vehicles. Sonic runs, Tails flies, AiAi monkey-balls or whatever, NiGHTS flies, swims, what have you...vehicles are entirely un-needed. "Will Amigo scramble Eggman?" WTF?!

I tolerated my NiGHTS and Reala playing tennis, but driving stupid cars and "banana-mobiles" around is where I cross the line.

Banana-mobiles. Seriously.

Coolmatt49

Coolmatt49

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Can't wait to get this on release. I would be shocked if NiGHTS wasn't in this game.

I hope it doesn't turn out bad and actually can compete one-on-one with Mario Kart.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Anything with multicolored furries driving cars in isn't really supposed to be serious. It's fun. It's stupid and a laugh. I'd take a Sonic Racing game over a crappy serious Sonic turning into a werewolf game any day. At least i can turn it off and not feel like Sonics storyline has been mangled. The 'trying hard to be serious' games do that, but spinoff dumb funny online games KNOW that they are a gimmick, thus it's cheap and works for me.

Superstars Tennis was nice, if not a bit of a pain in the ass. I'm hoping this game will be fun to play online with you lot and a couple of beers.

Sonic R was fun back in the day, sonic drift was a bit poo, Sonic Riders was trying too hard to be serious and have a plot, give me my monkies and cars plz.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Totally agree with TRiPPY on this one. This game is just for laughs and therefore why the hell not? SUMO Digital are in tune with the whole nostalgic side of things and the stuff they included in Superstars Tennis really made me smile. Virtua Cop, for crying out loud! I havn't seen anything of it since the Saturn, lol. I bet if they had a little more time on Superstars Tennis then they really would have given us something amazing.

This racing game could honestly be a really great game. It's evident they want to feature the nostalgic stuff so i'm not worried about that. What i really want them to do is make sure it plays beautifully. Focus on making sure the controls are as best as they can be. If it plays great then this could be a really good game to own and i'm sure the reviews will be a damn sight better from the press.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
I've been reading some funny things from RAGING FANBOYS online since the announcement about 'OMG SONIC IN A CAR WTF!!!!11' like it's something NEW.

Homework plz. *sigh*

I'm really hyped about it and I'm sh!t at racing games.

In Superstars Tennis playing the HOTD level with NiGHTS made me laugh so hard. KILLING ZOMBIES. C'MON.

.... wait do you think HOTD zombies will have cars? Maybe there will be a graveyard track *lol*

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Yeah, I'm currently working through the points of Sonic in a car, myself. I can't help but feel like maybe they would be better off balancing the game using Sonic on foot. What if he has added agility, and the balance is he's just extra vulnerable? That way, he stays in character, fans have one less thing to cry about and maybe be more interested in the game, and it'll help it be less of a Mario Kart clone. Many might not realize they did this before, but that was on the Game Gear, and in the 90's, so no one really minded.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
I've been comparing it in my head to playing the Twinkle circuit bits of Sonic Adventure. That was kinda decent at times.
Sonic being on foot would be nice but technicaly there would be no race as Sonic is supposed to be insanely fast. A lot faster than a car anyway.

Remember the god awful TKTKKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTK sound effect of Sonic running in Sonic R? It made ears bleed.

If SEGA were to ever do a full out proper physics Vs game it would have to be a fighter like Brawl, otherwise Sonic would just win flat out.

NiGHTS would be better turning INTO a car though, i agree on that one, but at the same time i think it'll be laughs to see what kind of driver he is.
FURRY DICE OR NO SALE SEGA.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Hm.. in effect, the balance of a race if Sonic is involved could look something like the first part of the intro to Sonic Unleashed. I can only guess how characters' weapon systems will work in this game, but one way of looking at it would be that every character basically has some kind of homing projectile or obstacle they can use repeatedly. Whatever they have to do, it'd just be a more creative effort to keep Sonic running, I think. Every other character is reasonable in a car.

At the very least I'm feeling positive about NiGHTS and Reala making an apperance. They were in Tennis, that's practically enough evidence for me.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
So far, looking around the net at some of the responses people are making, it seems this one is looking a bit more positive than previous press releases for other Sonic related games.
There are still people nit-picking that Sonic's in a car but i think they need to take a step back and look at Superstars Tennis. Sonic was playing Tennis in that game. Does he like Tennis? Does Tennis even exist in his world? How would he be able to really hit a decent return if he's just a little taller than the net in the middle? ....nobody cares. It's just a game to play and have a little fun with. Nobody thought for one second that it was a canon add on to Sonic's ever growing smelly spider web of storylines and Werehogs and King Arthurs and shitzo's.

Same with this.

As for the fact that they're in cars. Well, it's true that Sonic would technically win in a race. It was one of the topics brought up when they announced Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. Sonic can out run anybody so it seemed really silly to have him running a race and be neck and neck with the competition. I guess the notion of it being a SEGA All-Stars gathering thus making it a out-of-canon setting and the fact that things would need to be balanced fairly they opted to put the characters into vehicles.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Reala playing Tennis is more of a stretch for me XD I mean seriously.... think about it. Oddly at the time I didn't get pissed off as a fan, i just thought 'oh man, gimmick time, whee'.

There should be a Chao/Pian mobile!

Actually that's a point, since i don't actually own M&S, how did they do the sprinting with Sonic?

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
well, NiGHTS has been in the previous two Sega Super Stars games, why wouldn't he appear in this one? besides, if the tittle says "ALL STARS" that means they're gonna include a great variety of Sega characters

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
heh, I'm not gonna even touch the logic of Mario and Sonic or anything. No matter what they've done already I'd really like it if they did something less predictable and kept Sonic on foot in this one, for a change of pace. I ain't gonna change my mind about this.

It sure would be nice to see some other characters come out of the woodwork again, like Ristar.. he could have had stretchy moves in Tennis, he'd be less useful here. But it's never too late, Sega..

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Actually that's a point, since i don't actually own M&S, how did they do the sprinting with Sonic?

I think Sega told Sonic not to try in that game. They give Sonic and Shadow tremendous speed, but in small bursts when you use the Wiimote correctly. Which I fail at, but I will not stop trying! D< lol

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFT I've just noticed that they're using the hedgehog engine in that game! lord I always wanted to play with either NiGHTS or Billy Hatcher with that engine

happy Rachell is happy c:

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
For Ryo Hazuki to make an appearance driving the forklift, lol. That would be such a sweet addition to a game like this. Maybe one of the tracks could be to race around the Harbor in Shenmue! XD

I'm trying to think of SEGA's back catalogue on old games and thinking who could appear.
The Daytona car would be awesome to have in a game like this.

Needless to say but seeing some of the Street of Rage cast turn up would be pretty sweet. I've missed those characters.
Burning Rangers would also be welcomed by me.

Hmm. Who else? ... LOL, Eternal Champions! WonderBoy! Kid Chameleon! Those old skool MegaDrive/Genesis classics.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Ristar ooooooooooh....

You know one of my all time favourite games was Fighters Megamix on the Saturn. It was so crazy and full of extra crap. Mad stuff that had no place there. I really hope SUMO add more to the nostalgia because a lot can be done... though I imagine the copyrights would be a pain in the ass.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Playing as a Daytona racer and a palm tree... in a fighting game. Good times.

I could see Axel from SoR on like, a beat up motorcycle, and he'll whack competitors with a lead pipe as you pass by, totally. (Wait, what's the target rating on this game? tee hee.)

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

I do find it a little odd that NiGHTS was not mentioned as a character in the initial line-up, though.

...they would add NiGHTS to this, won't they? I mean, they wouldn't have any reason to add someone like AiAi and not NiGHTS, surely. .. ?

If I recall correctly, NiGHTS wasn't in the initial line-up of Sega Superstars Tennis either. I'm sure he'll be announced later. There's no way they would not put him in this game.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Time for me to respond to everyone. Wheeeee!

Oh man we SO have to have a website tournie! >;)

YES. 8D!

NiGHTS in a car being weird, yeah.... but remember he also had a board in Sonic Riders...

The board wasn't as weird as the skates. NiGHTS walking is so akward.

Is it just me, or does Sonic's car looks like the one in the Sonic Drift series? And yes, I think NiGHTS willl be in it, and I'm hoping Reala also, like in Superstar Tennis

(Punctuation and capitalisation added so I can read it)

It does look Dift-y. I kind of like it's look, though.

Reala's car would be badass.

Reala in a monster truck is far to enteraining a mental image not to share.

Dig, TRiPPY! :wub:

I'd say about 90%. NiGHTS is too famous to leave out, and Sega loves NiGHTS cameos.

Wow, I'm sorry, but this sounds like THE DUMBEST GAME EVER. Like, seriously. Dumber than Mortal Kombat vs. DC. And THAT is DUMB. The majority of "Sega All-Stars" have ways of getting around on their own without stupidly designed vehicles. Sonic runs, Tails flies, AiAi monkey-balls or whatever, NiGHTS flies, swims, what have you...vehicles are entirely un-needed. "Will Amigo scramble Eggman?" WTF?!

I tolerated my NiGHTS and Reala playing tennis, but driving stupid cars and "banana-mobiles" around is where I cross the line.

Banana-mobiles. Seriously.

Banana-mobiles sound like an exotic dessert. "Will Amigo scramble Eggman?"! I get the pun, but WOW.

Anything with multicolored furries driving cars in isn't really supposed to be serious. It's fun. It's stupid and a laugh. I'd take a Sonic Racing game over a crappy serious Sonic turning into a werewolf game any day. At least i can turn it off and not feel like Sonics storyline has been mangled. The 'trying hard to be serious' games do that, but spinoff dumb funny online games KNOW that they are a gimmick, thus it's cheap and works for me.

Superstars Tennis was nice, if not a bit of a pain in the ass. I'm hoping this game will be fun to play online with you lot and a couple of beers.

Sonic R was fun back in the day, sonic drift was a bit poo, Sonic Riders was trying too hard to be serious and have a plot, give me my monkies and cars plz.

I like the racing games, and I agree with you. It's a blue rodent in a car- lighten up. :P

I've been comparing it in my head to playing the Twinkle circuit bits of Sonic Adventure. That was kinda decent at times.
Sonic being on foot would be nice but technicaly there would be no race as Sonic is supposed to be insanely fast. A lot faster than a car anyway.

Remember the god awful TKTKKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTK sound effect of Sonic running in Sonic R? It made ears bleed.

If SEGA were to ever do a full out proper physics Vs game it would have to be a fighter like Brawl, otherwise Sonic would just win flat out.

NiGHTS would be better turning INTO a car though, i agree on that one, but at the same time i think it'll be laughs to see what kind of driver he is.
FURRY DICE OR NO SALE SEGA.

I remeber the sound. It didn't bother me too much, but then again, I rarely choose Sonic.

We need rollercoaster NiGHTS with dreamers inside. 2 characters for the price of one~

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Sonic R 2?

Like seriously that's all I can think of when I look at this. As a racing junkie I'm excited for this and hope it doesn't get royally f'd up.

I would say that this is the racing game I've been waiting for from SEGA, but OutRun 3, Daytona USA 3, and R-Tuned need to come first...

Also. If this game makes my signature a possibility then my head may explode.

InTheNightlight

InTheNightlight

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, gaming, making bad puns, making comics...I think that's it...gah, my childhood sucks...
THAT...WAS...GREAT!

*crosses fingers* Please let NiGHTS be in it!

Then again, it'd be kinda odd to see NiGHTS's feet touching solid ground(the pedals). And if he's using something else, it'd be weird, seeing NiGHTS fly a plane or something.

Still, just put NiGHTS in, and it will be MAJOR EPIC.

...Now I'm tempted to draw NiGHTS driving a car...in Sonic CD form*I've been playing that ALOT, lately...*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users