Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS' Ideya

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
The crystal on NiGHTS' chest. It's not actually ever confirmed to be a Red Ideya (or a shard of one) except in the Archie Comics, is it? If it's not a shard (the American guide says that NiGHTS is attracted to bravery; the Ideya in his chest might explain why), then what is it? The source of his ability to fly? A red popsicle that tasted so good that he decided to save it for later? A decorative chest plate?

Just throwin' some ideas around.

Maki Izumii

Maki Izumii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I used to have a fanstory about how he got it; it involved NiGHTS becoming so obsessed with the red ideya (which was meant to be reala's) that he imbued the gem into himself so he could find every last uh.. drop.

I never really got around to writing it though.. kinda become busy with my studies and stuff.

T.K. The Hedgehog

T.K. The Hedgehog

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

A red popsicle that tasted so good that he decided to save it for later?

LOL!

I think you might be on to something there. it could be his link to the children, or his way to the 'real' world.

I think flying just comes naturally to him, though.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
I've always been confused on NiGHTS being in the Waking.
I'm guessing it's just a projection, because if he could go to the Waking, would Wizeman just have used him to get to it instead of trying to take over Nightopia first?

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
I had always assumed that Ideya was pure energy. If this is true, then the crystal in question can't possibly be Ideya because energy has no tangible form. Furthermore, the crystal can't be the power behind any of NiGHTS' abilities, because those abilities are shared by Reala, who has no such crystal.

I simply think that NiGHTS' crystal is for show. It's a decoration, that's it.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

I had always assumed that Ideya was pure energy. If this is true, then the crystal in question can't possibly be Ideya because energy has no tangible form. Furthermore, the crystal can't be the power behind any of NiGHTS' abilities, because those abilities are shared by Reala, who has no such crystal.

I simply think that NiGHTS' crystal is for show. It's a decoration, that's it.

So like...a popsicle?

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

So like...a popsicle?

Right. A giant, perfectly diamond-shaped popsicle without a stick. :(

T.K. The Hedgehog

T.K. The Hedgehog

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
no wonder he can fly. - to get away from the ants that are after that popsicle!

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
I always just thought it was shiny and pretty. X) lol *adores shiny things* I have wondered if it was somehow tied into the red Ideya. Like maybe that's what drew Claris and Elliot to NiGHTS in the first place.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
Shiny things are nice... *attempts to steal other Ideyas*

NiGHTS: *slap* NO!

Anyway, Curiosity has a point. Energy has no solid form. But then again, I always pictured the Ideyas as crystals (they do look a bit crystal-ish), and plus, it's a dream. Physics have no say in the matter.

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I always liked to think it was for identification or something. Like, all the other maren realise that he's connected to the red ideya and can help him or whatever without having to faff about. I like the idea that there's something on the boss maren that shows they EAT LITTLE KIDDIES or something, but obviously there probably isn't XD

It's just for show though I think... Maybe the fact he has it *is* related to the red ideya, but just for decoration.

It's pretty though XD

Oh, and also- with the energy has no form thing- it is a dream... maybe that doesn't apply there? (And I think you can turn energy into like... something solid... but I don't tend to pay attention in physics so. I dunno. o_o )

PRiNCE

PRiNCE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, singing, NiGHTS, pie, NiGHTS, singing, NiGHTS, taters, NiGHTS, singing, NiGHTS,Sonic, and did I say NiGHTS? NiGHTS!
I always thought it was a shard of a red ideya. It links him to the red ideya and those who have it. But! Without it, he would die. (I'm writing a fanfiction about it.)

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
I've thought of it as a source of his power and energy. And, a connection to him for finding Red Ideya. It's basically, to me, a Ideya Diamond/shard thing.

Also, like PRiNCE said, if it's broken, he could die D:!

Inubu

Inubu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Drawing,writing,movie making,voice acting,and sculpting.
(I'm writing a fanfiction about it.)I'd like to see that,are you gonna put it up on Fanfiction or on the NiGHTS Into Dreams Library section?

KyraWolf

KyraWolf

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I always thought it was a shard of a red ideya. It links him to the red ideya and those who have it. But! Without it, he would die. (I'm writing a fanfiction about it.)

I always thought along those lines as well. I think the shard may be from an ideya or something, but hey. :| Whatever.

AirMax

AirMax

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:school-survival.net, NiD, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, anime, awesome, scoreattack.net
Three words: Self, Destruct, Button.
I can actually see that coming in the NiGHTS game.
Reala is sort of advertised as a final boss, but then after you beat him, Wizeman comes and smashes NiGHTS self destruct button. Like, a security feature, so if he's out of control, he can still kill NiGHTS.

KyraWolf

KyraWolf

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

My gosh, I had a mental image of someone pressing that and NiGHTS just exploding in a giant fireball. :|

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime & manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3

My gosh, I had a mental image of someone pressing that and NiGHTS just exploding in a giant fireball. :|

Why do I have the premonition I'll be dreaming that later on? X3;;

Maybe the gem isn't an ideya shard per se, but I would agree with many of you that it links him to bravery. I had heard somewhere that Wizey-poo fitted NiGHTS with it to hunt red ideya down - can't remember where though. I really stink at citing sources, don't I? LOL

Whatever the reason, even if the designers just wanted a visual link between NiGHTS and the dreamers, it's still very very pretty!

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
What on Earth is wrong with thinking that it's just for decoration? I dunno about you all, but I prefer my explanations simple.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
I honestly think its just decoration. I don't think every single bitty thing has some kind of a deep meaning.. Like, I don't think the right horn symbolizes one thing and the left another. ^_^ Or even his colours. I think Archie comics just really tried too hard to make a story out of something.

Lunar

Lunar

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
And a horrible story at that.

Anyway; my thoughts are pretty much the same as those who've said it's just for decoration, and maybe a visible sign of courage. Really though, I've always just seen it has a NiGHTS thing, just like the other Nightmaren have their own thing. Jackal with his mantle, Reala with... himself, and so on so. No need for a deep meaning or anything.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
The left horn represents NiGHTS' left side, and the right horn represents...um...nachos.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

The left horn represents NiGHTS' left side, and the right horn represents...um...nachos.

L O L. Does his right leg have cheese dip? :3

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

L O L. Does his right leg have cheese dip? :3

Plenty of it.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime & manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Popsicles, nachos, cheese dip... dang, been a while since a topic made me hungry! 8D Maybe his gem is the salsa?

Ashashi

Ashashi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Internet, Computers, Anime, Video Games, Sonic, NiGHTS, Internet, Dreams, School, Drawing, Singing, DDR, 3D Video Game Modeling/Game Design
I think Wizemen somehow implanted the very first ever Red Ideya into NiGHTS' chest when he created him so that way he could find more. I mean, what's better than having a Red Ideya moving from place to place to draw other Red Ideya to it?

Or maybe, its a generic Red Ideya shard of his own design that he made to generate energy similar to that of a real Red Ideya shard. And he put it into NiGHTS so that way the energy it gave off would draw real Red Ideya to him and he'd take them and bring them back.

OR (XD) the Red Ideya in his chest IS infact a Red Ideya because Wizeman sacrificed the ability to touch Red Ideya to someone who could move faster and with the Ideya in his chest, could draw more to him and gather them alot faster than he could.

Sage

Sage

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Books: all kinds of fantasy and science fiction<br /><br />TV Shows: Star Trek (any season), CSI Las Vegas, Knight Rider, Avatar: Last Airbender, various old Disney series (Darkwing Duck and the like)<br /><br />Video games: NiGHTS into Dreams, Megaman Zero, Fatal Frame, Sonic series (including the 3D ones =P), Kingdom Hearts, Silent Hill, Sly Cooper, and still more...<br /><br />Music: Pretty much anything, though I'm definitely not big on rap.<br /><br />Other: free form roleplaying, fanfiction, getting lost in my latest obsession, and so much more... ^^
Heh heh, I've been around long enough to have heard many theories on what that red gem might be, from its origins to its functions as a part of NiGHTS' body (*watches as the gutter suddenly fills with many minds* XD )

The game, of course, offers no hint whatsoever, so like much of anything NiGHTS-related, it's up to the fans to come up with explanations, serious or silly.

The "red ideya shard" is a popular explanation, but since I can't think of something different (serious or silly), I'll go for the "just decoration" line until something else comes to mind. ^^

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I think Wizemen somehow implanted the very first ever Red Ideya into NiGHTS' chest when he created him so that way he could find more. I mean, what's better than having a Red Ideya moving from place to place to draw other Red Ideya to it?

Or maybe, its a generic Red Ideya shard of his own design that he made to generate energy similar to that of a real Red Ideya shard. And he put it into NiGHTS so that way the energy it gave off would draw real Red Ideya to him and he'd take them and bring them back.

OR (XD) the Red Ideya in his chest IS infact a Red Ideya because Wizeman sacrificed the ability to touch Red Ideya to someone who could move faster and with the Ideya in his chest, could draw more to him and gather them alot faster than he could.

These are all horrible ideas for one simple purpose: NONE OF THE NIGHTMARENS, INCLUDING WIZEMAN, CAN TOUCH RED IDEYA.

I find it extremely implausible to think that Wizeman could or would give up the ability to touch Red Ideya. Remember, he's a power-mad dictator, and those types don't give away any power for any reason.

Furthermore, if Wizeman could work with and touch Red Ideya, why was he the only one? Why is it that none of the other Nightmarens could touch Red Ideya? To say that he took away all of their Ideya-touching abilities and poured them into one Nightmaren is to say that Wizeman threw away hundreds of Red Ideya collectors and traded them for just one. That's absurd. I don't care how good that one is, it's just terrible strategy.

I should also add that Wizeman has no Ideya. How can he create Ideya if he has none of his own? Furthermore, as a power-mad dictator, why would he create Ideya for others before creating some for himself?

Finally, if Wizeman gave NiGHTS such power, why didn't he take it away when he imprisoned NiGHTS? If he put all his eggs into that one basket as you seem to suggest, then why didn't Wizeman take them back?

Folks, Wizeman has no Ideya of his own. He is therefore incapable of creating Ideya. Wizeman created NiGHTS. Therefore, no part of NiGHTS can be Ideya, let alone Red Ideya. QED.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Still, be it true to the game's physics or not, it's fun to speculate!

Although I concur, Sage, avoiding the gutter = VERY YES. XD

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Still, be it true to the game's physics or not, it's fun to speculate!

It's not physics, it's logic. What Wizeman cannot own, he cannot create. He does not own Ideya and he created NiGHTS, so no part of NiGHTS can be Ideya. I don't care what kind of dreamland logic you're using, that much has to be true.

Personally, I think that the Red Ideya connection was one of many game manual blunders made by the USA localization team. In the game, you need an Ideya orb to enter the shrine and set NiGHTS free. Elliott and Claris are the lucky few who possess Ideya orbs that cannot be taken away. Because they possessed Red Ideya, they could enter the shrine and set NiGHTS free. Thus, NiGHTS became associated with Red Ideya.

Or maybe the Red Ideya connection comes from the fact that Red Ideya represents courage. Because NiGHTS had the courage to stand up to Wizeman, he has a connection with Red Ideya. Seems less likely to me, though.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
I do believe that NiGHTS has some connection to the red ideya, and I agree that Nightmaren can't touch said red ideya, including Wizeman and Co. I wonder what it is that makes NiGHTS different? That's probably another topic altogether! XD;

Tis true that I read and kind of enjoyed the first three comics, even though they have little-to-no bearing on the game whatsoever. I guess basic color association between the ideya and NiGHTS' gem only fueled that?

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
Evidentally nobody but NiGHTS likes red. Maybe Reala, but he doesn't like the Ideya's color of red.
So maybe it's not that they CAN'T, but they don't want to?

Dark Night

Dark Night

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Location:You'll never find me alive ! &gt;:D (Pretend you care)
  • Interests:What do you even think I'm here for ?

That's some big imagination, ma' friend. I like that. :3 It would be like some NiGHTS mini-comic I found once in the internet (I'll show you people if you want to). 2 words : Firework. Oh wait, that's just one. Pity. But imagine shiny stuff exploding in the sky... *imagines exploding NiGHTS*

I thought of that before, too. But if what the Archie comics say is true, then he had no Red Ideya before and he was alive (of course -.-). That means that it would be possible for him to live without it. But I always thought that he wouldn't "self destruct" like AirMax said, but just get drastically weaker. Not that much better, actually.

But in my opinion, I always saw it as Ideya, not decoration. Well, I did for some time, but few.

Nellie Francis

Nellie Francis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
Well, hopefully Sega will come up with an explaination for the crystal when JoD comes out. All companies tend to make expainations for stuff.

But to avert the wait, the crystal could be representative of NiGHTS' interest in Red Ideya.

Well, let me explain it this way: Any Maren (like NiGHTS for example) could choose to have a crystal of sorts to represent their interest in a certain Ideya. Then we'd figure out what kind of Ideya that Maren is interested in.

However, Reala doesn't have a crystal, so he could be neutral in the whole 'Ideya interest' thing.

Sage

Sage

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Books: all kinds of fantasy and science fiction<br /><br />TV Shows: Star Trek (any season), CSI Las Vegas, Knight Rider, Avatar: Last Airbender, various old Disney series (Darkwing Duck and the like)<br /><br />Video games: NiGHTS into Dreams, Megaman Zero, Fatal Frame, Sonic series (including the 3D ones =P), Kingdom Hearts, Silent Hill, Sly Cooper, and still more...<br /><br />Music: Pretty much anything, though I'm definitely not big on rap.<br /><br />Other: free form roleplaying, fanfiction, getting lost in my latest obsession, and so much more... ^^

But to avert the wait, the crystal could be representative of NiGHTS' interest in Red Ideya.

Well, the English game manual claims that NiGHTS is attracted to red ideya, so the symbolism you're suggesting is appropriate at least.

Does the Japanese manual say the same thing? I've heard that there are many glaring differences, so could someone clarify this point for me?

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..

Well, hopefully Sega will come up with an explaination for the crystal when JoD comes out. All companies tend to make expainations for stuff.

Honestly, I don't want an explanation for the damned thing. When people try to explain every little bitty thing, it sucks the fun out of it, usually because the "explanation" they come up with is far less thrilling than anything you may have imagined and/or not satisfying to the people who didn't care anyway. Its just more senseless filler and rambling to add to a storyline. it can stay just decor, in my opinion. I hope they leave it be. it would be SOOO cheesy if they felt they had to make some stupid story about it.

"OMG Without it, NiGHTS would get CANCER!! :O"

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Honestly, I don't want an explanation for the damned thing. When people try to explain every little bitty thing, it sucks the fun out of it, usually because the "explanation" they come up with is far less thrilling than anything you may have imagined and/or not satisfying to the people who didn't care anyway. Its just more senseless filler and rambling to add to a storyline. it can stay just decor, in my opinion. I hope they leave it be. it would be SOOO cheesy if they felt they had to make some stupid story about it.

"OMG Without it, NiGHTS would get CANCER!! :)"

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I have no doubt that if the red crystal were lost in the transition to JoD, we'd still look at those eyes and those horns and think "Hey, it's NiGHTS!" There would be some scuffling among the fan base, but (s)he would still fly and still be a prankster and still unquestionably be NiGHTS.

I've said it two or three times already, but I must say it again: WHY CAN'T THE CRYSTAL JUST BE FOR DECORATION?!

Archie screwed up a lot of things in their comic series. This is one of those screw-ups. Period. End of story.

Guest_PianFairy_*

Guest_PianFairy_*
  • Guests
:3 I think its NiGHTS heart!!~<3

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
Win, Inc. . You Win.

Ew. :)

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Canon-wise, I believe it's just decoration. It's simply part of NiGHTS.

Fanon-wise? Heck, if the writer/artist can pull it off/explain it well (i.e. not Archie) I don't see any problem with thinking it's a bit of Ideya, a detector for bravery, the cure of cancer... alright, maybe not that last one.

...that would make an idea of mine very, very creepy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users