Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Was there a NiGHTS anime?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Drawing, embrodery, bead crafts, crocheting and sewing.

Fave books: Redwall series by Brian Jaques, Agatha Christie mysteries, some precise mangas and Harry Potter.

Favorite video games: NiGHTS, Sonic the Hedgehog Games, Mario Brother Games and most mystery, puzzle and RP games.

I have a DeviantART account under the name ChaotixJewels. It has both Sonic and NiGHTS FanArt and FanFics.
I was just wondering since Sonic has had animes and animatied series made of him, if NiGHTS into Dreams has ever had an anime based off of it? If so how many episodes and what was it like? I'd love to learn all that I could about it.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime & manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Ah, as far as I know, NiGHTS has never had an animé. T____T I would love to see one too, and it would have to be WELL DONE. I doubt many NiGHTS fans will accept anything less! LOL

Zero 22

Zero 22

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic, Drawing, Plushies, the list goes on ^____^
Hey might be in the future ^_^
If so: YAY!!!!!!

Wrenreele

Wrenreele

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Stars. Chickens.
I am almost 100% ceratin there is not.

And honestly, I don't WANT there to be one.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
I don't know of any NiGHTS anime either. It's tempting to call for one, but I think that would be a mistake.

Heck, it would be hard enough to do NiGHTS justice in its native Japanese. Can you imagine how screwed up it would be once 4Kids got done with it?

Of all the storytelling media, videogaming is probably the least reliant on dialogue. NiGHTS is best without dialogue, so I believe that the fewer comic books and TV shows we see -- and the less dialogue there is in JoD -- the better.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Nope, there most certainly is not. If you happen to see what seems to be two frames of old school style NiGHTS anime, they would be made by our resident amazing artist, Kichigai, and have often been mistaken for and passed around as anime frames. There was never one, unfortunately.

Zero 22

Zero 22

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic, Drawing, Plushies, the list goes on ^____^

I don't know of any NiGHTS anime either. It's tempting to call for one, but I think that would be a mistake.

Heck, it would be hard enough to do NiGHTS justice in its native Japanese. Can you imagine how screwed up it would be once 4Kids got done with it?

Of all the storytelling media, videogaming is probably the least reliant on dialogue. NiGHTS is best without dialogue, so I believe that the fewer comic books and TV shows we see -- and the less dialogue there is in JoD -- the better.

You're right, 4Kids might butcher it ^_^

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
I was gonna mention Kichigai's drawings, but Purg beat me to it. XD It's a fun thing to look at to see what a NiGHTS anime might have looked like. Here's a link to her drawing of it on Deviantart. Hopefully she won't mind me posting this. ^^

Kichigai's NiGHTS Anime

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

You're right, 4Kids might butcher it ^_^

"Might"? I've yet to hear about them doing a good or even passable dub. :lol:

That said, I'm curious about how it could be pulled off. The Japanese voices shouldn't be any problem, but the rest... yeah.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
No. And I hope there will never be one eithier.

P.S. Happy Mother's day! ^_^

Wrenreele

Wrenreele

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
My reason to not want one is that...NiD is a very personal game. Each player feels and thinks something different. They interpret the characters differently, they come up with different reasons for why the events took place, ecetera. It's a game where the imagination of the player takes control, and that, I think, is how it should be. If you add personalities, stories, ecetera, and make it seem like it's somewhat HOW it is suppose to go, that takes away the whole point of the game. Most think Archie already screwed that up, and discard the comics and crap. I'm not saying an anime will be another Archie incident, but it still takes away from the point of the game.
And that is in my honest opinion.

nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Drawing, embrodery, bead crafts, crocheting and sewing.

Fave books: Redwall series by Brian Jaques, Agatha Christie mysteries, some precise mangas and Harry Potter.

Favorite video games: NiGHTS, Sonic the Hedgehog Games, Mario Brother Games and most mystery, puzzle and RP games.

I have a DeviantART account under the name ChaotixJewels. It has both Sonic and NiGHTS FanArt and FanFics.

I guess it would be. I also guess that I'm one of the fortunate that has never seen any Japanese anime dubbed by 4Kids, from the sound of it they've been doing a rotten job. Seems as if everyone on that's posted has stated the same thing about 4Kids and that it would be hard to do make it because people have different ideas and feelings about the game itself. But it's nice to dream about one or at least a manga with a story that matches the game a little more.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
I dont want one. 4Kids would butcher it obviously.

Ashashi

Ashashi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Internet, Computers, Anime, Video Games, Sonic, NiGHTS, Internet, Dreams, School, Drawing, Singing, DDR, 3D Video Game Modeling/Game Design
I wish NiGHTS had an anime T_T That would be so awesome no real words can express it.

Sage

Sage

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Books: all kinds of fantasy and science fiction<br /><br />TV Shows: Star Trek (any season), CSI Las Vegas, Knight Rider, Avatar: Last Airbender, various old Disney series (Darkwing Duck and the like)<br /><br />Video games: NiGHTS into Dreams, Megaman Zero, Fatal Frame, Sonic series (including the 3D ones =P), Kingdom Hearts, Silent Hill, Sly Cooper, and still more...<br /><br />Music: Pretty much anything, though I'm definitely not big on rap.<br /><br />Other: free form roleplaying, fanfiction, getting lost in my latest obsession, and so much more... ^^
If a NiGHTS anime were ever made, I would download it subtitled for fear of aforementioned butchering. 4kids may not get it, but there are other companies that could destroy it.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I wish NiGHTS had an anime T_T That would be so awesome no real words can express it.

Big mistake, man. Big mistake.

I said before that of all the storytelling media, videogames are probably the least reliant on dialogue. Well, TV and movies -- anime included -- are probably the most reliant on dialogue. Hell, before they could make movies talk, they were flashing in text cards so the audience could read what the characters were saying. The medium is that dependent on dialogue. And let's be honest, TV shows -- anime series included -- are basically movies that are indefinitely long, split into 30-minute episodes.

I personally believe -- and it seems to be a consensus on this board -- that a big part of NiGHTS' spirit is in how open-ended and interpretive it is. Forcing the characters to talk, putting their thoughts and personalities into words, takes away a lot of the mystery that is so vital to this property.

Bottom line: It's tempting, but it would be a big mistake.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
I think tokyopop could make a decent NiGHTS anime/manga.

nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Mangas would be cool if there is no chance for an anime.

Angela-Marina

Angela-Marina

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

I guess it would be. I also guess that I'm one of the fortunate that has never seen any Japanese anime dubbed by 4Kids, from the sound of it they've been doing a rotten job. Seems as if everyone on that's posted has stated the same thing about 4Kids and that it would be hard to do make it because people have different ideas and feelings about the game itself. But it's nice to dream about one or at least a manga with a story that matches the game a little more.

The clue's in the name, mate. =( "4KIDS/For kids". They take out most of the interesting and/or intellectual parts of a series, as well as anything that might be vaguely offensive to Western audiences. While I don't consider their work as bad as what was done by Nelvana to CardCaptors, it's still pretty bad. They tend to re-use the same cliches about friendship, teamwork, and self-belief and while these are good messages to portray, they're done so heavy-handedly that it ends up being pretty mind-numbing. Not to mention the fact that they throw in lots of buzz words like 'awesome' and 'you'd better believe it!', which gives the anime a much more manufactured feel.

Anyway, there's never been a NiGHTS anime, and unless someone here can think of a good story format, then I don't want one.

The best idea that I can personally come up with is an episodic structure, like Kino No Tabusi (Kino's Journey) or King of Bandit Jing. In these two serieses, each location (or in NiGHTS case, each dreamscape) has its own self-contained conflict which the protagonist helps to solve. For example:
Spoiler

However, like in Kino's Journey, some of the Dreamer's problems may still go unsolved. Maybe one or two of them could remain in despair, but with a tiny flicker of hope that NiGHTS (or perhaps some other dream entity) has set off some change within them that will help them to escape their darknesses. This would give a slightly darker tone than NiGHTS has in the game, but it would add a touch of reality and would also allow for the possibility for 'wayward dreamers' who would have to continue growing and battling their inner weaknesses.

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I think an animated SHORT would be great. Like, short enough to get by without having to explicitly state anything about the characters without being vague and such, or anything like that- but still enough to get a simple story across that- like I said- wouldn't reveal any more than the game. Aside from anything else, seeing NiGHTS with (normal) expressions would be nice. Plus seeing how it looks animated...

Of course, it WOULD have to be short as there are only one or two ways to make something entertaining that would work like that.

Plus, since it would be short, the animation would hopefully be really pretty XD

KyraWolf

KyraWolf

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I think tokyopop could make a decent NiGHTS anime/manga.

I agree! x3

What ever manga company is making the Kingdom Hearts manga should do it, if one was ever a NiD. I forget what company, but they were like, RIGHT ON with the Kingdom Hearts stuff. Added jokes and stuff here and there, but HEY! 8D Its really close to the original.

As for the anime. *shivers at the 4KIDS thought*

Wrenreele

Wrenreele

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Methinks, that if there were to be a manga, that if should be a collection of peoples ideas, you know what I am saying? I mean if it were to go straight from the game, there would be no talking. If they do talk, they will more then likely bastardize the character for somebody. Kingdom Hearts is pretty much "This is how the characters are" in NiGHTS, it's of the players imagination.
So it is not just ONE persons interpritation on the story/characters...

But, A NiGHTS anime/manga is just a bad idea in general.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
how about the fans make an animated short? we have talent in here. XD just a crazy idea. but hey, if trippy can make awesome comics by herself, i dont see why alot of us cant make a few minute short, but with subtitles. or no voice or anything, if you get what i mean.

Wrenreele

Wrenreele

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

how about the fans make an animated short? we have talent in here. XD just a crazy idea. but hey, if trippy can make awesome comics by herself, i dont see why alot of us cant make a few minute short, but with subtitles. or no voice or anything, if you get what i mean.

That would be a good idea, if anything is done in that sort.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
I probably shouldn't have said "unfortunately". :)

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I could see this happening actually. I mean, since so many people here can do so many different things, one could write as others worked out other things etc. so it wouldn't take an insane amount of time. A few minutes would maybe be possible. A flash animation or something!

Hey, maybe it could even be some sort of 'thank you' or tribute or something since we're getting a sequel now?

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
No. God no. No no no no no.

Anime is torture for the senses.

NOTiC

NOTiC

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I am one who absolutely loves dreaming. It is something people do all the time but don't notice. Without dreams I'd have less life than the little I do have now ;p but yea, I'm a humorous person and I am greatly into all forms of comedy. I'll embrace anyone who wants to be a lovely internet companion of mine and YOU are automatically my friend if you had the audacity to read this whole thing.
yea along with louis, i'm of the few who think anime is garbage.
if there were a NiGHTS anime, everyone would have known about it.

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
Saying anime is the worst thing ever is a pretty big generalization... I have a classmate who thinks the same way, yet he really enjoys Studio Ghiblis works and "Akira".... buuuut let's not get into that discussion.

On topic, as cool as I think the visuals could be in a NiD cartoon/anime/animated movie/whatever you want to call it, it would be difficult to get a working storyline.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Yeah, what Ica said. There's so many interceptions that it'd be impossible to make most of the fans happy with it... unless they made a music video and left it as vague as the game. And even then it'd be difficult.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
Gotta agree with the admins there. I'm 23 and anime has been a part of my life since I was a baby, thanks to my big brother, Robert. I'm not blind to all the crappy stuff that seems to be taking over the boob-tube, of course, but it isn't all horrible.

I wouldn't look forward to a NiGHTS anime.. even if they did make one, it would likely be crap like Sonic X. When I saw the first episode, I nearly CRIED.

KyraWolf

KyraWolf

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I wouldn't look forward to a NiGHTS anime.. even if they did make one, it would likely be crap like Sonic X. When I saw the first episode, I nearly CRIED.

I agree. The adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog on Disney were much better. Sonic X is good for fans, like ZaniKenny on YouTube to make hilarious dubs off of.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
hurting, it does.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Don’t forget, Sonic X was another anime localized by 4Shame. I will never forgive them. It's like all the editors are a bunch of xenophobes. What they did to One Piece was a travesty. It makes me so mad Igrrr…moving on. Thankfully, they aren’t the only people who license anime. Now let us never speak of them again.

It’s already been said that a NiGHTS anime doesn’t exist. I’ll just say I hope to never see one. Unless it’s some kind of multimedia project, like .hack, video games rarely seem to translate into good shows. However, I do think NiGHTS could make for a nice Comic/Manga if it was taken seriously. I imagine the best way to go about it would have each chapter/issue be a self contained story about an individual dreamer’s experience in Nightopia. That way, writers wouldn’t need to worry too much about continuity and illustrators could take some artistic liberties. Now that I think about it, a NiGHTS comic like that could end up being a lot like a more whimsical version of Sandman. Not that that’s a bad thing.

Chan Kaylore

Chan Kaylore

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on the beach at sunset, stealing kisses from loved ones, terrorising small children with bees, holding hands and chatting.<br /><br />Did I mention children and bees? I meant hornets.<br /><br />Big ones.

There's so many interceptions that it'd be impossible to make most of the fans happy with it... unless they made a music video and left it as vague as the game. And even then it'd be difficult.

Seconded. Given all the ideas and concepts behind NiGHTS, it'd be about as easy as making an episode for every fan on the planet; there's simply no way to cater to everyone's tastes in terms of dealing with the NiD crew.

Although, if they were to make something along the lines of a teaser episode, it may raise even more questions than answers in terms of the NiD universe (not that there's anything wrong with that; they'd be encouraging the fanbase to use their imaginations and thinking caps a little more...than we already do).

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
An Anime wouldn't be too bad if it was dubbed by someone like Viz...or...you know...NOT 4Kids. ^_^

Plus, I wanna hear Jackle make stupid puns like "I pretended I was a bar of soap and gave them the slip."

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
EZEKiAL, you make me want to hurt things. Badly.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?

EZEKiAL, you make me want to hurt things. Badly.

Fear not. I was joking. ^^

Chan Kaylore

Chan Kaylore

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on the beach at sunset, stealing kisses from loved ones, terrorising small children with bees, holding hands and chatting.<br /><br />Did I mention children and bees? I meant hornets.<br /><br />Big ones.

Plus, I wanna hear Jackle make stupid puns like "I pretended I was a bar of soap and gave them the slip."

Thanks, I just snorted my tea across the monitor ^_^

Dark Magician

Dark Magician

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Creative writing, drawing, video games, manga/anime, and astronomy. Writing more would probably take too much time.

*Starts clapping like a trained seal*

You are so right, if the wrong company were to handle it *cough4Crapcough*, a NiGHTS anime would just make the die-hard fans start screaming angrily and chucking things around while the newbies watch in terror (Dub One Piece and Dub Sonic X would do that to you). I too thought of a NiGHTS anime... and after seeing Sonic X, I thought better of it quick.

But as mentioned by Zero-Shift, if NiGHTS wasn't created to span beyond the video game boundaries like .hack... then it should be left the way it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users