Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

E3 2009

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
I dunno...Different timelines wield different things.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
With the 'Girl Games'/'Games for Girls'/'Girl Gamer' thing, it really depends on what audience the game is aimed at.

Those Barbie Games and Nancy Drew stuff for DS, for instance. My younger relatives love that stuff. A lot of them grow out of it when they grow out of video games altogether. I don't like that sort of shovelware, but it's fun for some people and they don't realize/ignore the horrible gameplay of them. Eh, whatever floats your boat is fine with me.

'Girl Gamers' is sorta silly altogether, in all honesty. Who cares if you're a girl or a guy? Pick up the controller and play!

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Every girl I know who plays games don't play those kinds of stuff. They play Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts, Okami, etc. Well, okay, my 10-year-old cousin I think might have played a few of those "girl games" when I last saw her. And I imagine she still does. :P Of course, she's into the whole "pretty princess & pony" kind of thing and I was, if anything, interested in "princess-in-distress, adventurous, gotta beat the bad guy" thing. :P Do the virtual cheerleading, pony-riding, fashion, etc. games count as "girl games", too? Those seem to be aimed at girls in their (early) teens.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

With the 'Girl Games'/'Games for Girls'/'Girl Gamer' thing, it really depends on what audience the game is aimed at.

Those Barbie Games and Nancy Drew stuff for DS, for instance. My younger relatives love that stuff. A lot of them grow out of it when they grow out of video games altogether. I don't like that sort of shovelware, but it's fun for some people and they don't realize/ignore the horrible gameplay of them. Eh, whatever floats your boat is fine with me.

'Girl Gamers' is sorta silly altogether, in all honesty. Who cares if you're a girl or a guy? Pick up the controller and play!

The Nancy Drew PC games are definately worth playing for their cool stories, fun challenges, and actual feeling of peril. The DS ones, however, are totally different and rather odd.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
I'm very sad. Every one picks on Nintendo here.

But, beside that, E3 seemed very promising. NEW ZELDA WII GAME! *gasp*

Prof. Layton...

But, I wish I could figure out if they announced anyting about Tales of... I love Tales of...

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Every girl I know who plays games don't play those kinds of stuff. They play Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts, Okami, etc. Well, okay, my 10-year-old cousin I think might have played a few of those "girl games" when I last saw her. And I imagine she still does. :lol: Of course, she's into the whole "pretty princess & pony" kind of thing and I was, if anything, interested in "princess-in-distress, adventurous, gotta beat the bad guy" thing. :lol: Do the virtual cheerleading, pony-riding, fashion, etc. games count as "girl games", too? Those seem to be aimed at girls in their (early) teens.

Most of the girls I know that play games play the same sorta stuff. Okami and Pokemon especially; I hear those 2 a lot >>.

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of pre-13. Those are games aimed at girls; girl games. Truth is, girls who play video games as a hobby will pick out what they want to play without the companies rubbing in their face a 'girl game'.
I don't really know of any other games aimed at girls in the West besides those sorta games (keywork: West).

Mr.Me

Mr.Me

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Most sega games, older games (N64 and back), music, internet. . .something else. . .
most girls i know don't play videogames. . .then again. . .i don't talk to a lot of girls (5 total out of my entire life, still only talk to about. . .2-3 of them)(that i can remember)
anyway, they usually played pokemon and megaman

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

I'm very sad. Every one picks on Nintendo here.

But, beside that, E3 seemed very promising. NEW ZELDA WII GAME! *gasp*

Prof. Layton...

But, I wish I could figure out if they announced anyting about Tales of... I love Tales of...

Honestly, Nintendo derserves to be picked on, considering how they treat their old fans. Ever since I read an interview with the director of Star Fox Command about the StarFox series in general I'm incredibly mad at Shigeru Miyamoto, since he almost literally showed the hardcore fans his middle finger.

Quote: “I think that’s all Miyamoto…he says it’s not meant to be just a flying, sci-fi shooting game. It’s meant to be anything we want to think up. But the core fans don’t want that, but Miyamoto doesn’t really care about that. He wants to make what he wants to make, so he just goes ahead and gets it done.”

So yeah, he gives a hell about what fans want. What an great attitude.*rolls eyes*

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

Quote: “I think that’s all Miyamoto…he says it’s not meant to be just a flying, sci-fi shooting game. It’s meant to be anything we want to think up. But the core fans don’t want that, but Miyamoto doesn’t really care about that. He wants to make what he wants to make, so he just goes ahead and gets it done.”

So yeah, he gives a hell about what fans want. What an great attitude.*rolls eyes*

I have a slightly different interpretation of that. If every Star Fox game was identical, it would have the risk of becoming stale. Of course, that is not the case, because their attempt to change that and try something new backfired. Now, if Star Fox Adventures was the model for all games to come, ignoring the criticism, that would be foolish, but it is not.

Of course, I totally respect you and your views, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Well that's okay. Normally I wouldn't judge this the way I do now anyways, but seeing what Nintendo's doing overall, it feels this way to me.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
I want a female Link.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
Making Link a woman would ruin him in my opinion. The Wii also ruins Link- he's no longer a southpaw (a lefty) so sad...

I'm not saying I like Mr.Nintedo (Miyamoto), I'm just saying the people at Nintendo work hard and get flack for producing "kid games." If they didn't, who would? Certainly not the "All Powerful" Microsoft. I own my 360 for Vesperia- that's all.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
I like Miyamoto and Nintendo, but I seriously think that both Nintendo and Sony are not being level-headed about their situation. They need to listen to what's around them: Wii customers want(ed) HD Graphics, Sony customers want a price cut. Fact of the matter is, the Wii is as far as a lot of people will go for the current-gen; please don't ask people to spend more or less half-$1k on a machine that they feel is useless.

I personally see so much wasted potential in the PS3 and Wii. There's so much that you could do with it that I just fail to see. At least Nintendo is open-minded and creative about things; I'm delighted to hear that Cave Story will be available for WiiWare.

But don't get me started on Xbox Live subscriptions >>. If the PS3 got its price cut to the 360's, plenty of people would purchase the PS3 simply to avoid Xbox Live fees.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

The Wii also ruins Link- he's no longer a southpaw (a lefty) so sad...

Maybe they'll make a lefty mode, like they did with Phantom Hourglass.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Maybe they'll make a lefty mode, like they did with Phantom Hourglass

One can only hope.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

Making Link a woman would ruin him in my opinion.

How so?

Link could be easily made into a girl and nothing at all would change.

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hmmm, I wonder... If Link was a girl, would that mean that Ganondorf would become a girl as well and Zelda would be a guy? An instresting thought indeed XD Nah, but I think Link being a female character definately wouldn't actually hurt the series, since it would be fresh(especially for Nintendo, since they don't have many female characters...) and many people out there wonder what Link would look like as a girl.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
I'd welcome Link as a female, except for how some might react to it.

Strong feelings of hate and affection, in-particular.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
I'm so used to Link being a guy. I'd freak out. I can't picture it. I wouldn't start pounding a female Link with hate, but it'd take a while for me to get used to it. I know it sounds weird from someone who's a fan of an androgynous jester. I'm just used to NiGHTS being a gender-bender, I guess. :P

My brothers, however, would have very...explosive reactions...

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

Hmmm, I wonder... If Link was a girl, would that mean that Ganondorf would become a girl as well and Zelda would be a guy? An instresting thought indeed XD Nah, but I think Link being a female character definately wouldn't actually hurt the series, since it would be fresh(especially for Nintendo, since they don't have many female characters...) and many people out there wonder what Link would look like as a girl.

Ganondorf/Ganon is always the same person since he is immortal so he'd stay male. I'd rather have Zelda stay female too or else I'd see it like "We have a prince now only because Link is female" kind of thing.

Anyway...Tons of people hated WindWaker Link for no reason. If they hated a female Link they'd once again not have a reason.

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Ganondorf/Ganon is always the same person since he is immortal so he'd stay male. I'd rather have Zelda stay female too or else I'd see it like "We have a prince now only because Link is female" kind of thing.

Anyway...Tons of people hated WindWaker Link for no reason. If they hated a female Link they'd once again not have a reason.

Ganon is NOT immortal, period! The whole point of the Oracle games is that Twinrova wants to ressurect Ganon, but you can't ressurect someone who's still alive :3

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
Fine.

But it still doesn't change the fact that he is always the same person.

=P

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Female Link would be...odd. Would her name be Linka? That would be me think of the Russian girl from Captain Planet everytime I played Zelda. :P

Like Jax said, Link could become a woman with very few changes. He manages to personify masculinity and prissiness all at the same time. Female Gannon, though, is REALLY scary mental image. :P

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
A name change wouldn't be necessary either. :lol:

They NEED to make Link female AT LEAST once!

And if they ever do they better not pull some kind of "Daughter of the Hero" crap.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
Sorry, I still disagree, and that's only because I think that Link is so much better as a man. Women generally don't save the world- I'm just saying. There aren't that many compeling female characters in video games. Making Link a woman wouldn't make a majority of fans happy, just like Windwaker didn't (not that I don't like Windwaker, it's actually my 2nd fave Zelda next to Link to the Past. Ocirina is WAY WAY WAY over rated). It wouldn't sell well, and Nintendo knows that, that's why they haven't done it.

You can't even call me a sexist, because I'm female.

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
That comment is still pretty sexist, ESPECIALLY if you're a girl yourself. I don't see why a woman can't save the world as a man could, it just depends on the individual character. And it wouldn't definately get worse sales than the other games, since most people don't really mind female leads, as you can see with Tomb Raider, as long they don't turn the game itself all fluffy and stuff.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
Tomb raider gives the impression that all females should be busty, athletic women who are scantily clad. And, no, it's NOT sexist. Females are not built for carrying vast amounts of heavy equipment- if you make a Zelda game that way you give the impression that they can, and they can't. Men, no matter what you say, would NOT want to play as a woman who isn't a chesty one, and this female Link couldn't be, realistically. It's the same principal as in Tales of Symphonia- men like Sheena better than Colette.

And what exactly would Link being female add to the Zelda experience?- if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Another thing, Samus Aran of Metroid is THE premiere female video game hero. She is, in every way, better than Lara Croft, and many men in the Video Game worlds. She could take almost anyone (as prooven in the smash bros games), and she doesn't need anyone's help to do it. Take it from a Nintendo veteran- Samus is a better role model to women than a female Link could ever be. And, fyi, Samus can save the world because she had an ability enhancing Power Suit. The female body is far too weak to equip all of Link's equipment with out SERIOUSLY modifying the Zelda system. A girl swinging around a Ball and Chain or traipsing abount in Iron Boots? Seriously.....

Lara only did so well because men like scantily clad women with a big bust doing gymnastics. Have you ever even PLAYED a Tomb raider game? I have, and they have a history of crappy camera angles and choppy controls, why would you buy that?

If you're really so upset, make a petition to get Nintendo to make a female Link.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
So...Little boys (WindWaker (He has Iron Boots too), Link to the Past, OoT/MM, Minish Cap, Four Swords/Adventures) can carry around tons of items but a woman wouldn't be able too?

Explain please.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
So, back to the world of relevency, E3 was funny- it just kind of happened. There was no real build up of follow up. I'm still sad that I can't find a good nickname for Sony's Wiimote. -_-

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
TORiAS I would recommend you play Beyond Good & Evil for THE female protagonist (Jade) IMO.
The problem with Samus is that she's basically a robot and being female was really just a "twist ending" for the character. Although I haven't played any of the recent Metroid games -- do they actually character development now? I'll certainly agree that Laura Croft is pretty lame...

Anyways, I think it would make sense to give players a choice for Link's gender. Because it has been stated that the reason he is called "Link" is because he is the link between the game-world and real-world. Even the first Zelda encouraged you to choose your own name instead of using Link. The character-player link would possibly be stronger if you could choose gender, as has been done in Pokemon for example. The Link character is hardly ULTIMATE MANLY MUSCLES and I don't think it's a stretch to imagine a female character doing all the same things. After all, it's a game. Stringy little Link probably couldn't go far in iron boots if this was the real world.

Although Nintendo will probably never make Link female because A) Zelda is a female name so they couldn't turn her into a man without changing the title of the series, which would hurt sales B) they wouldn't leave Zelda a female because of the potential backlash for having possible lesbian themes in a game.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I'm going to recommend somebody start a topic about the Zelda franchise if you want to continue talking about that. I really don't think there is much more to talk about E3 but I'll leave the thread open just in case somebody can come up with something.

As for the Zelda series, I think at this point it just needs to do something fresh. Nintendo has been getting really lazy with the series. It's still good, but it's refusal to change coupled with its overexposure as of late has put the franchise in something of a decline.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
I was really impressed by the PS3 motion controls. That's WAY better than the Wii's. I don't have a PS3, and probably won't anytime soon, but this development still makes me happy because now that the Wii doesn't have that exclusive motion-sensing appeal, Nintendo is presented with a challenge: up the quality or risk losing to Sony. If Sony starts making more money because of this, the people at Nintendo are probably going to reconsider their refusal to upgrade to HD graphics, among other things. :huh:

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />

Honestly, Nintendo derserves to be picked on, considering how they treat their old fans. Ever since I read an interview with the director of Star Fox Command about the StarFox series in general I'm incredibly mad at Shigeru Miyamoto, since he almost literally showed the hardcore fans his middle finger.

Starfox was played out.
I enjoyed the SNES and N64 ones, but the gamecube one didnt feel right. I definitely dont think Nintendo has turned its back oon the hardcore, but the hardcore turned their backs on Nintendo and that is the problem today. Nintendo tried to keep them, but they mostly want shooters now and frankly, I look out at the other systems with mostly blank bored stares because as a NiGHTS fan, I sort of like a lot of color and adventure in my gaming. I dont think Ive played any non platforming next gen HD game for more than a few hours. The last one to really hook me was Portal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users