Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I've noticed that, for both NiGHTS into dreams and Journey of Dreams, we don't know much about Nightmare. We just know that it was created by Wizeman, and it's the place where Visitors go when they have nightmares.

But we don't know, for example, how it is structured. See, each second-level maren (and Reala) creates his own world. But how are they linked?
Are they all in the same space, so one could just fly from one place to another?
Or are they like parallel dimensions, in separate spaces? But then how do Nightmarens travel between these worlds? Assuming they can, but surely they should be able to visit each other and say hello? Do they have a special ability to travel between worlds? Or do they use portals or something? Am I asking too many questions?
Or maybe Nightmare is always changing, and its appearance at a given time is just the nightmare of that night, for one Visitor?

So, what do you think? What are your views on Nightmare? Your theories and speculations? Come on, it's fun to speculate :rolleyes:

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
It is fun to sepculate! Plus, "speculate" is fun to say.

Are they all in the same space, so one could just fly from one place to another? I've always thought that, like Nightopia, the are "spokes" coming off of a central hub. Nightopia has the Dream gate, and I think Wizeman's throneroom is the "Hub" of Nightmare.

Or are they like parallel dimensions, in separate spaces? I think they're equal to the sections of nightopia- not a seoreate reality, but a different themed area, like Disneyland's Lands.

But then how do Nightmarens travel between these worlds? The leave their world and choose another at the hub

Assuming they can, but surely they should be able to visit each other and say hello? Nightmaren don't say hello. They sat DIIIIIE!

Do they have a special ability to travel between worlds? Or do they use portals or something? Perhaps portals similar to Nightopias doors

Am I asking too many questions? no

Or maybe Nightmare is always changing, and its appearance at a given time is just the nightmare of that night, for one Visitor? Hmmm....good idea. It probably is not too unique, for example, Queen Bella. Ponder this- do all suffering from a fear of spiders have nightmares of her?

Lady Spritzy

Lady Spritzy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Games. On WoW, I'm Yetalis on Malfurion, with a full stable o' pets. On Skype, I'm lady_spritzy. Look for me on Gaia as Lady Spritzy. I'm a Sonic fan first, but NiGHTS is a close second. But then again, is there really any difference between the two?
I've always thought of Nightmare as something that adapts to the dreamer, ie school nightmares when finals are near, evil monsters/cursed video tapes after watching horror movies, or simply whatever the person's scared of. Like silly puddy for the mind, meant to mold to and scare the dreamer into submission, so they're unprepared when the Maren come to steal their Ideya. And, when the dreamer's in Nightopia, the Maren's got the ability to change the surrounding area to scare the dreamer to, once more, steal their Ideya.

But the hub idea has also crossed my mind before, kinda like Wizeman figured the idea already worked, so why not just copy it?

TheOrangeNightmare

TheOrangeNightmare

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:video games, NiGHTS (duh), drawing, writing (fanfics ^^), bike riding, cats, mythical creatures
While I'm on this topic, why not drop in and add to this confusion? X3
So are each of the second-level nightmaren in Nightopia or not? It seems you don't have to go very far to get from Nightopia to the bosses, who could be in Nightmare...

As for those questions you asked....I'm hopelessly lost there. XD

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

So are each of the second-level nightmaren in Nightopia or not? It seems you don't have to go very far to get from Nightopia to the bosses, who could be in Nightmare...

The boss battles are supposed to take place in Nightmare. How you travel from Nightopia to Nightmare is another question :P
But in Journey of Dreams, you can usually see the Nightmaren in Nightopia just before the fight (5th mission). So, this is even weirder XD

Well, you don't have to answer every question. I'd just like to know how you think Nightmare is structured.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

Well, the boundaries between nightmares and dreams seem to be hazy in the first place. It could be that the location of Nightmare and Nightopia depends on the dreamers. Wherever a dreamer has a good dream and peaceful dreamscape, that is Nightopia. And wherever the dreamer's inner demons emerge is Nightmare. So the borders constantly shift, is what I'm saying.

Lady Spritzy

Lady Spritzy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Games. On WoW, I'm Yetalis on Malfurion, with a full stable o' pets. On Skype, I'm lady_spritzy. Look for me on Gaia as Lady Spritzy. I'm a Sonic fan first, but NiGHTS is a close second. But then again, is there really any difference between the two?

Well, the boundaries between nightmares and dreams seem to be hazy in the first place. It could be that the location of Nightmare and Nightopia depends on the dreamers. Wherever a dreamer has a good dream and peaceful dreamscape, that is Nightopia. And wherever the dreamer's inner demons emerge is Nightmare. So the borders constantly shift, is what I'm saying.

That makes a lot of sense. But then, what's the purpose of the Dream Gate? Obviously, Maren can go there, but from what I've seen, you don't encounter Pians there. Why? And in JoD (not real sure about NiD) you see the kids dashing out of their nightmares and straight into the Dream Gate, so maybe the borders are a bit stranger than we thought. Maybe the Dream Gate acts as a bridge between Nightmare and Nightopia?
Just some thoughts...

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

That makes a lot of sense. But then, what's the purpose of the Dream Gate? Obviously, Maren can go there, but from what I've seen, you don't encounter Pians there. Why?

Technically, Nightopians are created by Ideya, just like Nightopia, so I think they can't leave Nightopia. Nightmarens on the other hand, are created by Wizeman (independently of the Visitor), so they have more independence. At least that's what I think.

Yes, that makes sense. When you look at the intro of each kid (in both games), first they're having a nice dream and then it turns into a nightmare.
I once had a theory that the borders between Nightopia and Nightmare become more apparent once the dreamer gets lucid...

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I like to think that dreamers are responsible for creating Nightmare (even if Wizeman thinks it was him).

Basically, enough people have negative urges and repressed desires. This gets released into the creaton of Nightmare. However Nightmare is a pooling of the negativity of everyone on earth. And it is reaching a tipping point until the Dreamers of the game can undo some stuff. Wizeman too is a creaton of the sleeping masses although it is not from any conscious part so he might as well be considered an independent being.
If that makes sense.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I thought of nightmares as more of an "infection" when the dreamer or visitor has a nightmare a certain plain of his/her dream world is taken over by nightmare till the nightmares leave...
I would also think that Wiseman, being as powerful (If you still consider him to be so after JoD) as he is... sits somewhere outside of this plain of dream... where he can easily monitor each place and move to and from where he resides and there... I would also think that there are multiple hubs for different visitors (Will and Helen being the exception) as Owl was notably surprised when they interacted with each other...
I'm done for now...
and no... your not asking too many questions... although I would think that that was your goal correct? :P

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Wiseman, being as powerful (If you still consider him to be so after JoD)

Well, why would you not?

and no... your not asking too many questions... although I would think that that was your goal correct? :P

Nah, I was just trying to list as many hypothesis as possible :P But there have been some nice theories posted here.

SiLVER

SiLVER

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:I love video games, writing, and Artwork. And NiGHTS. I looooooove making OCs too.
Are they all in the same space, so one could just fly from one place to another?
In my opinion, it is more like their homes, but since we don't really have an idea about Nightmare works, we'll never know. Hmmmmm... *Gets idea for new fanfiction*

Or are they like parallel dimensions, in separate spaces? But then how do Nightmarens travel between these worlds? Assuming they can, but surely they should be able to visit each other and say hello? Do they have a special ability to travel between worlds? Or do they use portals or something?
However, they may be in seperate dimensions, wherein only they and others they invite in can enter it. Portals would be awesome, though...

Or maybe Nightmare is always changing, and its appearance at a given time is just the nightmare of that night, for one Visitor?
No, the nightmares of the 2nd-levels are probably set apart in a different part of Nightmare. Oh, the possibilities.

InTheNightlight

InTheNightlight

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, gaming, making bad puns, making comics...I think that's it...gah, my childhood sucks...
Forgive me for being so bland, but it's probably just some psychadelic castle on the inside. In fact, I usually picture it as some kind of demented, twisted version of Hogwarts. I mean, there's gotta be floors in Wizeman's throne SOMEWHERE! How else could Puffy stay in there to chat*notice how she can ONLY bounce*? Unless of course he uses Zero-G...*brick'd*

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

Forgive me for being so bland, but it's probably just some psychadelic castle on the inside. In fact, I usually picture it as some kind of demented, twisted version of Hogwarts. I mean, there's gotta be floors in Wizeman's throne SOMEWHERE! How else could Puffy stay in there to chat*notice how she can ONLY bounce*? Unless of course he uses Zero-G...*brick'd*

I honestly can't see Wizeman and Puffy chatting, but perhaps maren have abilities not seen in their battles. For example, Puffy might have toatl control over how she moves, but only bounces to squash NiGHTS.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
I think nightmare is nightopia's next door neighbor, then when wizeman wants to take over he bitchslaps reala over the picketfence dividing them, and is all YOU BETTA TAKE OVER NIGHTOPIA OR ELSE, FOO'.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

I think nightmare is nightopia's next door neighbor, then when wizeman wants to take over he bitchslaps reala over the picketfence dividing them, and is all YOU BETTA TAKE OVER NIGHTOPIA OR ELSE, FOO'.

That image will never leave my head! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users