Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tales of Woe

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Have you ever had a system you played seemingly endlessly only to try to play it again the next day and find the driver is no longer reading disc? Well I have just suffered from the BROD(Blu Ray of Death lol)and I am sad :) I was expecting to play MGO this morning but things didn't go as planned. I kept hearing "tink, tink" from the driver and the disc icon wasn't popping up on the XMB. Glad I have a warranty.

So what about you guys? Any Wiis, 360s, PS3s, and previous game systems that you've had that died on you?

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
I've said this in other topics, I'll say it again.

My NES f@(%!^& exploded.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
My old PS2. Disc Read Error.

I have a Slim one now.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

I've said this in other topics, I'll say it again.

My NES f@(%!^& exploded.

Exploded? WTF?

I have a Slim one now.

Never had the Fat but I did hear it had many problems with the disc drive. I think Playstations have always had those disc drive issues. My PS1 never had that issue though.

TheOrangeNightmare

TheOrangeNightmare

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:video games, NiGHTS (duh), drawing, writing (fanfics ^^), bike riding, cats, mythical creatures
My trusty old gamecube I got when I was a wee lass...*sniff*.....
Good thing I have a Wii now!! The games shall not go to waste!

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
We had a PS2 that was still relatively new to the family (not exactly bought new, I think we got it from a pawn shop or somewhere along those lines). It took a mild dive after someone tripped over one of the cables sticking out. It was a little less than 2 feet.. but being so fragile, it was enough to screw up the system.
It would read CDs, old PS games, but no DVDs. There were a few remedies we tried, though they weren't very helpful.

My Xbox hasn't necessarily died yet, although it doesn't seem to want to function properly. It's been a little while, but the last time I tried to shut it down after my nephew-in-law was playing and had to leave, the bloody thing wouldn't turn off, wouldn't eject discs, nothing. I had to unplug the power cable to get it to shut off. It now sits dormant, waiting for my return.. kind of banking on the fact it was probably slightly overheated and not responding to commands. I'm sure I'll get it working again. If not, I'll keep you posted.. heh.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling

My NES f@(%!^& exploded.

Hahahahahaha! XD My friends PS2 burst into flames...

As for me, I had my Saturn repaired by SEGA once and since then (many years ago) it's been fine.

DREAMCASTS HOWEVER.

*counts* I had 4. It was cheaper to buy a new one than to pay for postage to have it repaired. Plus the cases went that yucky yellow color after a while and i don't even smoke. I own one of the first generation Gameboys (the giant grey brick) and it still works like a charm. Never had a problem with my GC or Wii (other than that annoying power out for 5 mins breaker thing it does).

My brother is legendary for breaking consoles. EVERY console he has owned has broken for no reason. Damn we borrowed my old friends PS2 and after a day it broke in his room. Perhaps there was some kind of dampness or bugs or something in his room that messed up his electronical equipment because his TV went on fire twice and his HiFi fused. Poor Derek lol. Jinx.

That reminds me, he bought a brand new Wii online and after a DAY it broke. He's still not had it repaired and that was back when they came out.

I hear so many problems with PS3 firmware eating the machines.

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
Nothing has died on me,not even my dreamcast *squee*

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
Things that have died me/I've killed:
1. The first GameBoy color. Didn't really /die/, but I left it at a thrift store.
2. My SECOND GBC, which I threw to the ground in rage and thus broke the speaker a bit[DAMN YOU MEWTWO]. A few months later, I dropped the damn thing and that killed the speaker for good.
3. My Sega Saturn[which i'm fixing later today] had it's damn tiny battery thing that ran the memory thingy die, effectively erasing all of my NiGHTS saves. ;;
4. Dunno if this counts, but I've had to reformat my laptop's hard-drive twice, and even get a new one.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
....half the stuff I touch that has a computer chip in it dies in my hands.

- I'm on my third 360. The first two both went with the RRoD, but the second one I re-heated back to life for a month before sending in for a refurb.
- I lost my first gamecube the third day I had it when it fell off the shelf during a Smash Bros round.
- My Game Boy Advance just died randomly on me one day. Right after I bought my DS too...
- I've had to fix my own PS2's laser (old model) twice, and many more for my friends
- My Saturn is on its last legs; the VDP1 chip is definitely dying with more polygon flicker and slowdown than should be healthy for the eyes
- My Genesis boots once every 10th attempt
- My first SNES died last year and only boots Mario World with a blue screen
- I've lost a bunch of computers...an old 486 (power supply), a Pentium-II laptop (hard drive), a Pentium-II desktop (motherboard), a Pentium III desktop (foreign metallic object caused a short), and my current laptop (hard drive, since repaired).

I'm surprised that the most "fragile" systems I own haven't given me any problems yet. If I go downstairs now and find my Dreamcast spewing grey smoke I'll consider it karma.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
My Game Gear seems to have gone silent forever <_<

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Why do they ALWAYS break a few days after the warranty expires? Do they have self destruct timers in them or something?

Actualy you reminded me, my Gamegear didn't work the last time i turned it on..... after giving my brother a loan of it :/ suprise suprise. Oddly nothing in his new room breaks since we moved. Maybe there was something wrong with the power or something afterall.

Cerulean Lee

Cerulean Lee

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I've never had a system itself break down on me, unless you count PCs. This goes as far back as NES. I gave my NES to Spynmaster a couple weeks ago and he says it still works. But the accessories stop working.

This was especially true with Game Gear. That stupid AC adapter kept breaking and we had to order new ones. The last one we got says it's specifically for Game Gear on the back of it. The part that connects with the Game Gear is too big!

Guest_Purachina_*

Guest_Purachina_*
  • Guests
I guess these things broke cause they were my fault o__o

-I OR my brother left an icecream cone on our SNES. ((Lol, srsly, who does that? XD; ))
-I dropped my Gamecube on the hard wood floor D:
-RRoD for the 360 ;_;

Also. I've had 6 copies of Final Fantasy 8. We either lots the third disc, or they broke somehow. The third disc was the one I was stuck on for years D:

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~

Exploded? WTF?

It involves a duck, a screwdriver, and a rubber chicken. You don't wanna know.

So I'm not the only one then! Woohoo! I can stop feeling like a loser!

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

ya I know this problem... happened to someone I once knew the problem was dust buildup, we simply disassembled the ps2 and blew out the dust... unfortunately it was in my eyes... he wasted no time in cleaning the system so he could play his GTA again...

I hear this one ALL the time but I hear it more commonly with the X-box 360...
ppl either keep the consoles in a closed environment thus building up heat and fwoosh! master chief just joined the barbecue!
I even heard of a REALLY dumb move done by someone my friend knew... get this he put a SOAKING WET RAGE OVER THE FAN OF HIS X-BOX 360! and why you may ask? To prevent the dust from ruining the X-box's lens... needless to say that brilliant idea went up in flames...
My Sega Genisus was fried by lighting one Night...
And My dreamcast mysteriously broke over night... (slot one no longer detects controllers) I was gonna pull it apart but the screw got warn down by the previous user... I may end up cracking it open with a hammer...

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
My first DC was killed by a giant wooden pencil the size of my arm falling from about 8 feet onto the lid on the floor. Uhuh.

The problem with the PS2 was it had this papery tape stuff inside it for some reason and it fried.

I loved the old non laser consoles, they were indestructable BRICKS. I doubt any kids from today are going to have a working PS2 sitting around in 11 years time XD

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
The only system that ever died on me was my Gamecube. Understandable since I played the hell out of that thing. It broke down on me a little over a year ago. I was playing Baten Kaitos, trying too fill the recipe book when the game froze. When I restarted the system, it wouldn't read discs anymore.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
My old PS2 suddenly refused to play any sound. At first I thought it was just one of the cables not being jacked properly, but nope. Fortunately my warranty was still valid.

I'm surprised the Mega Drive (Genesis for you Americans) hasn't broke yet, considering how much my sister and I played it. It is showing its age though, sometimes the games starts up in weird colours or plain black and white.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Nothing's actually died yet, but our XBox has a habit of scratching discs. We lost...*thinking*...one...two Mechassaults and after the third time Dad gave up and said we weren't getting a new one. Not a biggy for me because I didn't like that game much in the first place. :P

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
My old Dreamcast is pretty much dead. Last time I tried to play it, I had to knock it to make it work. Then it would reset itself every two minutes or less. That was really infuriating.

Also, once my brother broke the screen of a GBA. I think he walked on it. That's what happens when you don't clean your room.

Roam

Roam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Gaming, Music,
My Dreamcast died on me soon after trying to get online through AOL.

Coincidence? I think not.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I had a Genesis fail me once. Twice in a way as the replacement, for reasons unknown, wouldn't play Knuckles Chaotix for 32X. Other Genesis and 32X games worked fine though. I ended up buying an old original model Genesis from eBay and am keeping the other one as an emergency backup. I've lately been having trouble getting Sonic 3 to work with Sonic & Knuckles but I am pretty sure the problem is with the cartridge.
My 32X has failed numerous times however it is a very easy repair job (basically opening it up and pressing against part of it) so I count it as reliable.
My first Sega CD's drive died.
My Game Gear suddenly stopped working.
One day my (original) Xbox wouldn't work. I would press the power button and nothing happened. I had to send it in and pay $80 for repair. They gave me a "free" game for my trouble (Grabbed By the Ghoulies which I haven't even bothered to play yet, actually) but never gave me the game that was stuck in the system when it happened (DDR Ultramix) so I had to buy another copy of that. I was not pleased!

All of my other systems (Saturn, Dreamcast, Master, Gamecube, PS2, Gameboy Color, DS) have served me well. It is possibly worth noting that I bought the PS2 used fairly recently so it hasn't yet had a chance to break but it might in time? I was surprised to read on another forum that the Dreamcast is apparently very poorly manufactured; mine has never given me trouble.

And yeah, the reliability of older systems, especially my Master System (which I bought less than a decade ago but still counts). The thing seems like it was made to last a million years! Now I hear people complaining about systems breaking down less than a year after they are purchased. My Xbox was the only system of mine to die after less than 8 years.

Wow, I feel like I own quite a large number of consoles now!

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Why do they ALWAYS break a few days after the warranty expires? Do they have self destruct timers in them or something?

Actualy you reminded me, my Gamegear didn't work the last time i turned it on..... after giving my brother a loan of it :/ suprise suprise. Oddly nothing in his new room breaks since we moved. Maybe there was something wrong with the power or something afterall.

Some arcade games do, although this was to prevent Pirates from producing and selling the games for less. Yes, there were Pirates making arcade boards.

lets see, my Genesis's power adapters no longer make reliable contact, making the system all but unusable, to get my 32X working again I had to open it up and re seat a pair of ribbon cables, my PSX once lost one of the plastic tabs that holds the disk, making it unusable, now it's almost worn out. My PS2 can only read DVD's at this point (games and movies), and my DC Twin Stick seems to have a hard time making contact with the controller port.

MidgitLD

MidgitLD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I can safely say that all the consoles I've purchased/been given work just fine. My DC hasn't even yellowed. But I do tend to clean the machines twice in a blue moon. Most of my controllers are default because (if I can *GLARES at GC controller*) I open them up and give them a thorough cleaning. I'd crack open the actual consoles if I wasn't so scared of not being able to put it back together safely. XD

My fat PS2 still works fine. And if I find wherever I put my Gamegear at, I'm sure it still works, too, despite missing a battery cover.

Feniiku

Feniiku

iMAGNi SPY!

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Drawing<br />Gaming<br />Reading
My Saturn refuses to play any games other than Panzer Dragoon, and I'm sick of that game. I just don't have the time to be getting a new one and stuff.

Never EVER had a problem with my PSXs (that's right, the original greystation and not the PSone) or PS2s. My NES didn't work for a while a year or so back, but works fine now. Hell, even the ataris in my loft work.

I'm just waiting for my 360 to go BOOM after its' first year (second 360, it's a free replacement for my first one which had a dodgy disk tray XD)

Diogothedreamer

Diogothedreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid gamer but also enjoy all kinds of other hobbies such as going out to museums,events and such. As it is currently Winter it means hibernating in house rather than going out a lot. <br /><br /> I should also mention that growing up playing on SEGa systems it is now my favorite game company in the whole world. The games developed by it always inspire me a lot and remind me of all those games many years ago such as Nights that I have many fond memories of. <br /><br />I also am really creative and tend to do all kinds of art such as drawings,painting and such. However, lately I have focused more on my computing course so have not done much. :)
I am very proud of my sega saturn as it has been with me for over half of my life without any problems.

Now I had a few problems with my dreamcasts such as the first one being sold off by my evil cousin, then he was forced to get me one and got me a 2nd hand one that broke down with the laser error. On the next dreamcast I bought the laser started malfunctioning so I opened it and fixed it and then soon after the same happened to the power box but swapped the part.

I got a fault on my xbox 360 in Feburary where I had no video so Microsoft staff was very nice and replaced the motherboard for free. :blink:

Maki Izumii

Maki Izumii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
My housemate's Wii is on its last legs - it's reeeeally struggling to load brawl, wheras my darling is perfectly fine (and we both got 'em on launch day). I've generally been pretty luck with my consoles working. Hopefully that'll continue when I buy an xbox 360..

InTheNightlight

InTheNightlight

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, gaming, making bad puns, making comics...I think that's it...gah, my childhood sucks...
Only my PS3 froze and I had to restart it. It was Spider-Man 3 for the PS2. Spidey talked to some odd-ball and he froze saying, "Sumpasumpasumpasumpa..."............I can't believe my brother and I made a video of that...I need a life!

Also our Ultimate Spider-Man game froze when I was swinging and a girl started yelling. I was stuck and the screams wouldn't end! I wake up every night, SCREAMING! SCREAMING! ........screeeeeeaaaaaaming....................

So far, the only other system that crashed was my family's PC but we fixed it. So far my GC, GBA and Saturn are relativley fine.

My Brother: I found the sumpa glitch. He was supposed to say "something". When my brother was playing Chicken Little he was stuck in the theater and could only move the camera.(PS2 Red cartridge) We were stupid enough to play SMCP on the same cartridge... Apparently Sonic froze in the air above a fan near the end of Sonic2. Some of my gba games freeze.(mostly PMDRRT) When I was playing Sonic2 on Super Sonic Golden it froze when I tried to become Ashura.

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
why is everyone's dreamcast dead except mine *well i have 3,but i dont even need the back ups* i have a lucky one that plays the scratchiest of discs :P , so far my dreamcasts work perfectly,i guess im lucky :D

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
Mine works fine. With the exception of the Genesis add ons, they seldom break down, considering that Sega also makes arcade machines.

But recently, I pulled my genesis + 32X out of storage, and found that the power adapters no longer make consistent contact with with the console. Also, I had to open up my 32X and re seat a pair of ribbon cable to get it to work right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users