Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Super Street Fighter IV Discussion

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
/\
Agree completely.

Sagat is great again? How completely unexpected. ;)

Hopefully things will be tweaked a bit on the console release for the sake of balance.

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

/\
Agree completely.

Sagat is great again? How completely unexpected. ^_^

Hopefully things will be tweaked a bit on the console release for the sake of balance.

T-T-T-TIGER!!!!
O. Sagat shot Tiger Shots faster than bullets. xD

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
SF4 Arcade Locator: <a href="http://www.eventhubs.com/articles/2008/aug...achine-tracker/" target="_blank">http://www.eventhubs.com/articles/2008/aug...achine-tracker/</a>

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I know that FFA and two new arcades from two people who worked at FFA are getting SFIV cabs, for anyone in Cali.
Sagat and Dictator ftw.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Bump: I have now played Street Fighter IV (English version, to boot). There's some features I didn't get to really learn about, there's a counter move that has an inky swipe which is interesting. Plus when you parry you lose health in the hit but you slowly gain back whatever you lost. There's also Beginner and Trial modes, besides regular Arcade mode. I think Trial mode lets you play a round which each character.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

SF4 Arcade Locator: <a href="http://www.eventhubs.com/articles/2008/aug...achine-tracker/" target="_blank">http://www.eventhubs.com/articles/2008/aug...achine-tracker/</a>

Oh great. I'd have to go to either New York or Penn. in order to play this game. Damn you Maryland and you're lack of arcades!! Anyway, how was the game? Was it awesome? Did it feel like the Street Fighter?

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
So, Viper. Overall what would you say about SFIV? Good game and worth buying when it hits home consoles, yeah? I'd imagine the home version having loads more features that would keep us playing.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
It does indeed feel like SF. For one, Chun's Kikoken is back to how it was in SF2 Turbo. And I'm definitely excited for the console release, even though I still need said console [in my case, a PS3].

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
It's coming out to PC, so I can throw out those Tiger shots there.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Anyone see these yet? I just learned about these.

<a href="http://kotaku.com/5049022/mad-catz-street-...cks-under-glass" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5049022/mad-catz-street-...cks-under-glass</a>

And about MadCatz..
<a href="http://kotaku.com/5049110/mad-catz-+-give-...hange-your-mind" target="_blank">http://kotaku.com/5049110/mad-catz-+-give-...hange-your-mind</a>

And I didn't know you can't use PS2 controllers on a PS3. That sucks.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Oh man...

Why did it have to be Madcatz? If it was almost anybody else I'd pick up that premium stick in a heartbeat, but now there is that little seed of doubt in my mind.

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
It's madcatz, no way I am ever going to trust them, ever.
I'm just going to use my Yellow and Black Namco Stick. It's cheap, and it's great, and it plays well enough so that I don't have to Sanwa mod it.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Like C&C Music Factory --> things that make you go HMMmm!

So....there goes the storyline, most probably.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Peter - Uncle Ben?
Ben - Hey Peter, funny story. That guy didn't actually shoot me and I haven't actually been dead all these years. Surprise!

I just hope his presence is non canon and that he's not your typical shotoclone. If he is, than than means SF4 will essentially have five fundamentally similar characters.

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Gouken gets an anti-air Fireball, great idea, a shoto has always needed one.

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
...So no Cammy? D:

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Who wanted Sakura? Was it Ty? Check this out if you wanted Sakura (same goes for anybody else in here who wanted Sakura) --> read

YAY! Her theme music was one of my favourites from SFA2 so hopefully that's going to get remixed! This is nice news. :(

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Yay!

Gratuitous panty shots for everyone! Cross your fingers for Cammy.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
Well... seeing how I just recently got into fighter games (thanks to soul caliber 4) I haven't payed this game much mind... BUT now I'm intrigued... I haven't seen Street Fighter since I saw a few kids playing 1 and spamming that guys long range attack which name now and forever will elude me whenever I have the need to bring it up (Ryo was his name? I think?). Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to this one now so I'm gonna look up all the info I can... any tips you'd tell a newbi?

Madcatz is making the arcade sticks eh?... and I was starting to think that I was the only one who thought they sold cheep crap (thanks to you Madcatz my controller for both the x-box and Dreamcast no longer function and I lost a crud load of memory for my ps1... R.I.P. Tomb Raider 2...) BUT, I'm fine since I'm more comfortable with a controller anyways :(
I'll be seein your fist in my face most likely, online, when this comes out! (they'll have online right?)

-EDiT- btw from my breif search on the net I caught info that says that Cammy is confirmed for the "home-version"... although I cannot say how reliable this info is... so here's the link... Click for wedgie girl info (NO PIC 4 U!)

-MORE EDiT- just found a report from someone named Kevin Gifford from 1up.com that's dated today... er *checks clock (1:29 a.m.)* yesterday... saying that Cammy won a popularity poll for 'which character do you want back in SFIV' (gee... I wonder why?). Anyhoo, Mr. Ono (if you know him... I don't) stated it's still a tba... personally... I think he's jus tryin ta spook us... Capcom's a good company and I HIGHLY doubt Cammy will get the boot... she supposedly has a pic on the official site... but it's all blank and I can't see anything for some reason...

-LAST EDiT i SWEAR!- found the vid. Some anime promotional trailer thing.... with Cammy... doesn't confirm anything thou...

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Well... seeing how I just recently got into fighter games (thanks to soul caliber 4) I haven't payed this game much mind... BUT now I'm intrigued... I haven't seen Street Fighter since I saw a few kids playing 1 and spamming that guys long range attack which name now and forever will elude me whenever I have the need to bring it up (Ryo was his name? I think?). Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to this one now so I'm gonna look up all the info I can... any tips you'd tell a newbi?

O_O *ubergasp*

It's Ryu! Ryu! The attack is called the Hadouken! Ryu!

You want newbie advice? Go out and buy a Street Fighter game! Any game, somehow! Get the Anniversary Collection or the Alpha Anthology or download Street Fighter II off Xbox live, I don't care! Just somehow find a way to play Street Fighter... do it now!!

Yafugga gafuggov!!!

*head asplodes*

No but seriously, my best advice is play a decent 2D fighter because they play nothing like their 3D counterparts. A Street Fighter game is obviously preferred if you want to get into the series, but a copy of King of Fighters XI, Guilty Gear XX or Neo Geo Battle Colosseum will do fine to break you in since they can be found with relative ease. Also, if you want to get serious, Shoryuken is THE place for serious Street Fighter talk as well as casual chat about fighters in general.

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Sakura is in.
/sad

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
From what I've seen of this game it looks pretty dang good... but I'm too broke to afford any street fighter games for my x-box or wii right now... of coures I'm getting this for the ps3 seeing as I don't have the time to invest in an x-box live membership... *sigh* can someone here plz get a ps3? So the only side scrolling fighter exp I have is with ssb ^_^ I like fast characters... I think I'll try Sakura first... (seen vid... she looks fast...)

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If you like speed, my advice is to try Vega. He's one of the fastest guys ever in a Street Fighter game. I doubt that will change in this iteration.

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Sakura probably is going to rely of a mixup game, combo into EX huricane, into Shoryuken.
As of right now, the faster characters have a really hard time fighting any of the more normal/bulkier sized characters.
Like El Fuerte and C. Viper are fast characters, but they have a really low damage output and take a lot of damage, but sure about Vega, but I'm pretty sure he's around average right now, I'm pretty sure that there isn't any thing really special about him or something.

Abel, Sagat, and Dictator look to good right now, can't wait for PC release.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
The thing I like about fast characters is that if the opponent makes one mistake or (for more advanced players) misses a single attack, they can typically jump in quickly before they have time to recover and counter with a flurry of hurt of their own... not sure if this applies to Street Fighter but it worked for me in SSB and Soul Caliber IV so I suspect it works here.
(I love how they mixed up the names for Vega, M.Bison, and Balrog in the American version to me it' just hilarity
Who would take a dictator with a last name of Bison seriously?)

-EDiT- Oh, btw, I heard something about alternate costumes and item collecting in Street Fighter 4 anyone have any further info on that? like how customizable it will be? (I love creating custom characters...)

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
As far as i'm aware, there is no custom-design feature in this game. They just decided to give their characters actual alternative costumes rather than having different colours of their one costume. It would be cool kitting out the street fighters in mix and match clothing but it doesn't seem like it'll be happening in this game. I think they're considering for the future though, it's a subject that's come up quite a bit considering how many other fighting games are using this nifty feature.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Now now Snugs, if this is going to be Saifer's first Street Fighter, the last thing we should be doing is discouraging him from playing certain characters based on their (currently) highly debatable placement on a tier list. From the sound of it, he's not really Evo material at the moment so tiers shouldn't be an issue. Besides, tier whoring is tragic. I can't tell you how sick I am of fighting noob Cervantes players online in Soul Calibur IV.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
http://kotaku.com/50...hter-iv-screens

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Now now Snugs, if this is going to be Saifer's first Street Fighter, the last thing we should be doing is discouraging him from playing certain characters based on their (currently) highly debatable placement on a tier list. From the sound of it, he's not really Evo material at the moment so tiers shouldn't be an issue. Besides, tier whoring is tragic. I can't tell you how sick I am of fighting noob Cervantes players online in Soul Calibur IV.

Going to stick this out there,
Play your favorite character all you want, if there cool and all, that's great.
But I would also play the character that your best with, if that's your favorite character also, that's great also.
Like if my favorite character in SFIV right now is someone who just isn't that good, and if I played Rufus well, I would play Rufus, even if he stupid character design.
Not I'm not trying to discourage anyone from playing Claw, but he is usually one of the characters everyone thinks is just annoying to play against. I have no idea if this applies to SFIV, but that's just something that Capcom likes to keep on Claw for some reason.
But Vega generally isn't a combo character, he is a poke and run kind of character. He can jump around a lot, punish any missed moves, and has a pretty good rush down. Great reach on his punches. Crouching fierce has a REALLY long range.
But that's off of CvS2, so he could be completely different.
Btw, since Capcom was able to mix up names Vega, Bison, and Balrog, most people refer to them as Dictator, Claw, and Boxer to avoid confusion.

And I read on SRK that there is suppose to be costumes on the console versions that you can download.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
I don't play based on appearance, I play based on performance.
looks are nice but they don't mean much if your opponent is going to give you a face lift with a few backflip kicks...
I'll probably play as Vega first but what I can interpret from this phrase

Vega generally isn't a combo character

You either mean he has long recovery time or most ppl who play as him simply don't wanna attempt a combo out of fear of being combo'ed
and if the prior is the case I will probably choose another character (speed doesn't mean much to me if I have to wait for another opening after every attack I execute it's safe but not fun)

I can't tell you how sick I am of fighting noob Cervantes players online in Soul Calibur IV.

I always played as a custom Talim character (thats the kinda speed I like... giving the opponent no time to rest)... buuut I never actually had a chance to use Cerantes so...

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

You either mean he has long recovery time or most ppl who play as him simply don't wanna attempt a combo out of fear of being combo'ed
and if the prior is the case I will probably choose another character (speed doesn't mean much to me if I have to wait for another opening after every attack I execute it's safe but not fun)

You're just not going to find a Talim style character in Street Fighter. This is mostly because of the fundamental differences between 2D and 3D fighters. 3D fighters have heavy emphasis on attack properties and using mid/low mind games in order to out-maneuver your opponents. 2D fighters on the other hand put much more emphasis on positioning and space control since most character attacks move at comparatively similar speeds. The action is more stop and go.

Because of this different emphasis, you don't get long strings of attacks that flow into one another and as such, you get a different criteria for what defines a fast character, namely movement speed. That's why people consider Vega fast, he moves like nuts. I can only name two characters in all Street Fighters off the top of my head who get around the screen as quick as he does.

Snugs is absolutely right about him by the way. Vega isn't really a combo character and it's not because he slow (he's no worse than anyone else) or people are to scared to try. It's because he just isn't well suited to that kind of style. The combination of his quick movement combined with the tremendous reach afforded to him by his claw simply makes him better suited to hit-and-run tactics. Hell, in past games about half of his specials actually take him out of the action for a split second just so he can jump off the wall to hit his opponent at a different angle.

Saifer, if you play SC4 online, PM me. I'd like to go a few rounds with you.

Wow, long post.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Because of this different emphasis, you don't get long strings of attacks that flow into one another and as such, you get a different criteria for what defines a fast character, namely movement speed. That's why people consider Vega fast, he moves like nuts. I can only name two characters in all Street Fighters off the top of my head who get around the screen as quick as he does.

I kinda figured as much... I know evasion will have a much smaller use in street fighter 4, but I want a character that, put simply, can throw a punch at the exact same moment as the opponent and still hit first... can pull his/her arm back after that punch and start with another before the other person can... can string together a series of quick blows and combos without letting the opponent so get so much the chance to inhale a breath...
I'm not speaking literal terms here but I think you get the basic gist of it...

btw I only rented sc4... and I don't have x-box live gold... srry

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

I kinda figured as much... I know evasion will have a much smaller use in street fighter 4, but I want a character that, put simply, can throw a punch at the exact same moment as the opponent and still hit first... can pull his/her arm back after that punch and start with another before the other person can... can string together a series of quick blows and combos without letting the opponent so get so much the chance to inhale a breath...
I'm not speaking literal terms here but I think you get the basic gist of it...

*sigh* I'm trying to tell you that specific kind of character doesn't exist in Street Fighter, metaphorically or otherwise. Everybody attacks at almost the exact...same...speed and everyone can string together a series of quick blows and combos. The thing that really sets apart characters is their ability to control space. Watch these following videos. Maybe they can better illustrate what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoILSEQL9jE...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCapuhsOMcg&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8dD3K2_Pz4...feature=related

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

*sigh* I'm trying to tell you that specific kind of character doesn't exist in Street Fighter, metaphorically or otherwise. Everybody attacks at almost the exact...same...speed and everyone can string together a series of quick blows and combos. The thing that really sets apart characters is their ability to control space. Watch these following videos. Maybe they can better illustrate what I mean.

Ahhhh, I see... I'm sorry I didn't see what you meant earlier but I get the picture now... Seems the best way for me to go is to find a character that controls the "spaces" that I want to prioritize and that I am most comfortable in controlling... I don't think I can truly "locate" my character of choice any other way than playing the game, unlike in some games... sorry for being a headache, and thank you very much for finding these vids... they helped alot in more ways than one.

I'm gonna have fun with this one, I can already tell...

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
No problem.

Just to keep things on topic, anybody who hasn't seen some of the trailers from TGS needs to look. They are sexay. ^_^

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Here is some general things
Be where your want to be, try not to let the other player force you into some where you don't like to be, like the corner.

Know the priority of your moves, some moves will beat others out.

Know your character, know what your character can do to get out of certain problems.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
They're making a Street Fighter anime feature film that ties the stories together and explains what has happened between the end of Street Fighter 2 and the beginning of Street Fighter 4. The animation company who made the animated trailers that we've been seeing are going to make the short film as well.

Sounds wicked, man! XD

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
OMG CHARACTER EXPLOSION UPDATE!!!! OMFG SO MANY WONDERFUL CHARACTERS IN 3D!!!! T_T Fei Long, Cammy, Gen, Dan!!

check out the screencaps ---> HERE

Cammy. It's so good to see you again.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
f*!*ing sweet! Gen is here!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine