Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

About this delay

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

And I thought the date with Smash Bros Brawl was causing problems! The only reason I can understand it coming out sooner for the US (where I am) is because it's being made by Sega Team USA.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. That's a highly logical answer. Then again Japan is making the music but that can just be sent to America via internet.

Alurker

Alurker

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Seeing as how it is already the second of december, and no delay has been announced, I'm guessing that Sega of Europe got some weird information regarding the delay or something. It doesn't look like it will be delayed, but then again, will it need to be delayed? From what I've seen of the recent videos, the game looks like it is almost completed, if not truely complete.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
The only thing that sucks is that we all won't get to play in equally until a little later. I have to wait until January to kick some European putooty :D

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Seeing as how it is already the second of december, and no delay has been announced, I'm guessing that Sega of Europe got some weird information regarding the delay or something. It doesn't look like it will be delayed, but then again, will it need to be delayed? From what I've seen of the recent videos, the game looks like it is almost completed, if not truely complete.

I think the fact that the entire internet is giving out different dates is kinda proof that something is not quite right. Japan was getting it Dec 13th but we've started hearing that they'll get it end of December. Iizuka himself has been saying the game is coming out in Jan 2008 but the websites still say Dec 2007.
The whole thing is kinda messed up right now.

As i said, people. Watch for Dec 13th and see what happens in Japan. If the game slips then they may announce the delay then.
*sigh*

Central Dogma

Central Dogma

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I only hope that the delay is true of 2008. Some of the things I have seen look a little messy mainly the "My Dream" place. It looks a little better when you see it in video but the thing still looks rather bland, oh well, I have hope or Sega in the end and then there's December 13th which at least proves something in japan.

CrazyInABottle

CrazyInABottle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
If the game does come out on Dec 18th (or 19th whatever), I should get a call from my local GameStop since I preordered it. If I get the call, I'll let you all know.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
I'll be hounding my local Toys R' Us from the 15th through the 18th in the hope they break the street date like they've done in the past for other high-profile titles (BioShock, Mario Galaxy).

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

If the game does come out on Dec 18th (or 19th whatever), I should get a call from my local GameStop since I preordered it. If I get the call, I'll let you all know.

Same here. The receipt is on my wall as I type.

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Same here. The receipt is on my wall as I type.

Man, I should have pre-ordered the game. I was scared off by the disaster that occurred when I last pre-ordered. I suppose that sort of situation could not happen again, though.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Man, I should have pre-ordered the game. I was scared off by the disaster that occurred when I last pre-ordered. I suppose that sort of situation could not happen again, though.

Exactly what was this issue I should worry about?

wocko

wocko

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Sonic the Hedgehog for the Xbox 360? :D :D :D

Ronnie

Ronnie

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
I'm gonna go with the official high up source, and go with the date Iizuka-san has given us. Jan 08 is fine with me, what I do worry about is sales of the game.

Right after Christmas and just before Brawl is released, it's like SEGA picked an awkward time to release there game when we just got Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl isn't to far off.

Remember this is a family orientated game and i'm not to sure if mum and dad are happy buying more games right after Christmas has been and gone.

Sure thie game has the fans to back it up but its cruicial that SEGA makes top sales on this game!

Lets face it, Mario and Sonic and the bastard olympics aint gonna make much of an impact. ¬_¬

petebrolly

petebrolly

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I beg to differ. I believe that while undeserved, Sonic and Mario at the Olympics will outsell NiGHTS Journey of Dreams. I really would rather it didn't but its being heavily marketed and is probably Sega's most important game (at the GC in Leipzig, it was the only stand they had, everything was Mario & Sonic at the Olympics with barely a mention of anything else) due to "mini games" being so popular now, that's the state of the industry I'm afraid. :D

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Well, I had pre-ordered a PC game, and they were going to deliver it to me. The problem is, the game never actually got delivered until about two weeks later. This would not happen if you wanted to pick it up in the store, but I figured that they would be able to get the package to me without shipping it to sixteen places in Chicago first. I was wrong.

Oh, well, I guess I could just pick the game up this time. I just had to be lazy the first time.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Noticed Toys R Us labels the release date as 12/20 for their website.

http://www.toysrus.c...oductId=2856977

Hope they get it in on release day, since I plan/hope to buy a Wii with the game there. Got a mess of coupons. But I'd be using them all on the console anyway, probably. So as long as I can find a Wii there.. I could go to Gamestop if need be.

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Noticed Toys R Us labels the release date as 12/20 for their website.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2856977

Hope they get it in on release day, since I plan/hope to buy a Wii with the game there. Got a mess of coupons. But I'd be using them all on the console anyway, probably. So as long as I can find a Wii there.. I could go to Gamestop if need be.

Where do you live? Lol I wish I could find a Wii without first having to be on a list for months to get one. @_@

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Where do you live?

Look below my avatar, it should be there..
My main concern for JoD coming in December, after the quality of the game, is whether I can find a Wii.. I do have quite a few options here though (I work in midtown Manhattan)

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Well, it's now officially one week away from it's Japanese release. There has been more magazine articles, adverts, gaming website previews, within these last three weeks then there has been so far ...and i'm thinking there is no longer a so called 'delay'.

Next Thursday, JoD is supposed to release in Japan. I think it will.
If it does, the new question will probably be "does that mean the UK version will be less glitchy or have Sega managed to iron out those bugs before this Japanese release?"

....gonna be a long week. :/

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Yeah, there are now commercials on some sites and everything, so it looks like the release is coming soon in Japan, which nixes any hope for delays elsewhere if it is true. That is, unless they feel like they need to get revenge on the Japanese for something, so they give them the buggy version and then delay the game elsewhere.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I seriously doubt the developers are going to ditz their customers like that - maybe they feel more strongly that they'll be ready on time than when DiGi and TRiPPY went to visit them. Why delay for the rest of the world, though? I understand that dubbing comes into play, but how hard is that? ..... *smacks herself* Yeah, I just remembered some of the terrible things that've been done to anime in the transition from Japanese to English - it's one of those things that's harder than it looks, and it would require a lot of scripting time to say as close to the same thing as possible while at the same time keeping the mouth-movements as much in synch with the voice-acting as possible. If the script was finalized during development, though, couldn't they have forwarded it to Sega Europe early so they can get a head start on it? ..... Well, the time that would take would depend on how many languages, I guess, and I've forgotten how many are being translated... *counts possible ones off in her head* German... Spanish... French...

-SpikyBlueHero-

-SpikyBlueHero-

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Why am I here? I know not. Perhaps it's because of all of the up-to-date information, the hilarious Dreamcast &quot;radio&quot; show, my own curiosity, or all of the above. What I DO know is that I'm an avid Sonic freak, jester dreamer, and Samba de Amigo maraca addict. Some things never change...<br /><br />If you're looking for a new NiGHTS hub to visit, please consider checking out The NiGHTS Union, GameSpot's unofficial NiGHTS community. (Link provided in my personal statement above.) Much of the inspiration for this establishment came from NiD.com, and without it, TNU might never have existed. Thank you DiGi, TRiPPY, and everyone else who continues the NiGHTS legacy. I salute you all with maraca in hand!
Some of you might know about yesterday's On the Spot GameSpot episode, with JoD being one of the featured games. (Awesome new level!) A host of the show, Ricardo Torres, said that "[JoD] is obviously coming out this year", but then a few seconds later he concludes the conversation with the Sega representative by stating "January 2nd". (This occurs at around 54 minutes into the show.) I also heard that GameStop had the game listed with a January 2nd release recently. Perhaps JoD is getting launched in Japan on Dec. 13th, in America on Jan. 2nd, and in Europe on Jan. 25th?

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Some of you might know about yesterday's On the Spot GameSpot episode, with JoD being one of the featured games. (Awesome new level!) A host of the show, Ricardo Torres, said that "[JoD] is obviously coming out this year", but then a few seconds later he concludes the conversation with the Sega representative by stating "January 2nd". (This occurs at around 54 minutes into the show.) I also heard that GameStop had the game listed with a January 2nd release recently. Perhaps JoD is getting launched in Japan on Dec. 13th, in America on Jan. 2nd, and in Europe on Jan. 25th?

I thought the same thing about that episode too but then I had thought about his question for the NiD remake on the PS2. The SEGA guy said ask him later and right after that "On The Spot" guy just said "January 2nd." Maybe they'll have him back and he'll ask him then? I don't know. Also gamestop.com still says Dec. 18.

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition
All this insanity about delay times makes Spinnys brain hurt. XD

I'm holding true to DiGi's point, though... and waiting patiently to see what happens in Japan come the 13th.
I think we should all wait until then before jumping to conclusions; it will give us a more definite idea of what's to come concerning this delay business.

Personally, I hope this new possibility of "Japan on Dec. 13th, in America on Jan. 2nd, and in Europe on Jan. 25th" is more on the accurate side. It sure sounds probable.

Either way, at least JoD has a little more time to improve. I'm sure we all know the game's not perfect yet, and may not be even by the time it hits shelves, but it'll sure be a heck of a lot better than if it had been released in October! XD

I'm looking forward to it unconditionally, though. I can easily wait a little longer.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
No, what he meant by 'Jan 2nd' answer was people have been asking if the PS2 remake is coming out global and not just Japan. The Sega guy on the left says "there's no plans at the moment for a global release but check back next year and we'll see what we can do" and the other guy with the glasses says 'Jan 2nd' meaning he's going to ask about it on Jan 2nd since he told him to ask again next year. I think he wasy trying to be funny, perhaps.

But back on topic, as i said, i'm highly doubting a delay now. But, being honest, maybe it doesn't need. We've been shown some pretty fancy stuff lately, plus people are saying that it plays quite well too and the framerate issue has gone. Perhaps there's not a lot to worry about anymore.
We havn't heard from any of our inside contacts in a while now so maybe all those so called 'problems' have been fixed.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
I'm nibbling my nails about it still saying its coming out next week. My copy is already paid out in full, so YAY, I can get it, but if its as buggy as we previously thought, I would like it to be delayed.. However, if they went into overdrive and fixed the sh!t up, filled out the baron wasteland looking 'Pian areas that freaked me out some much and made the graphics as slick and pretty as we'd been hoping, then hey.. Make me a believer. Put it out next week and make me think you gave a sh!t. XD

-SpikyBlueHero-

-SpikyBlueHero-

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Why am I here? I know not. Perhaps it's because of all of the up-to-date information, the hilarious Dreamcast &quot;radio&quot; show, my own curiosity, or all of the above. What I DO know is that I'm an avid Sonic freak, jester dreamer, and Samba de Amigo maraca addict. Some things never change...<br /><br />If you're looking for a new NiGHTS hub to visit, please consider checking out The NiGHTS Union, GameSpot's unofficial NiGHTS community. (Link provided in my personal statement above.) Much of the inspiration for this establishment came from NiD.com, and without it, TNU might never have existed. Thank you DiGi, TRiPPY, and everyone else who continues the NiGHTS legacy. I salute you all with maraca in hand!
iLLVAiLLiN - That's why I said "recently". I looked at GameStop's game page beforehand and noticed that it must've switched back to the 18th. Anyway, this 10-20-second On the Spot conversation is really controversial. Thanks for the response. :-)

Spinningcannon - I hope that those three release dates are valid as well. I'm really wishing for some concrete release dates I can look forward to. Whatever they may be, you're right. Thank goodness JoD wasn't released in October! Sheesh!

DiGi - Hi, Mr. DiGi. This is entirely foreign to the topic, but I really enjoyed the latest Dreamcast episode you and TRiPPY made. I simply could not contain my laughter. :-D Anyway, as a result of this feedback you guys are giving me, I'm not too sure of what to think about this On the Spot episode now. Were they really discussing the PS2 remake? After almost every game that On the Spot plays, someone always mentions when that certain game is arriving in stores, whether it be "TBA", "Q1 2008", etc. If Ricardo Torres was aiming to be funny, he missed the target. NiGHTS fanatics like us want a straight answer!

Purgatory - You're wishing for a delay, too, huh? I agree that some areas of JoD look very unflattering. Here's hoping that the final product looks better than what we've been seeing. (Although that's a slim chance.) :-|

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
Just a quick question. Does anyone know how long it actually takes to polish up the graphics for a game and just remove a very small dose of minor bugs? I've always wondered this.

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Just a quick question. Does anyone know how long it actually takes to polish up the graphics for a game and just remove a very small dose of minor bugs? I've always wondered this.

It depends on the project and how big it is, as well as the pressure to meet a certain date. Even if the game was coming out in February of next year, not much more could be done. If you want something that looks like Mario Galaxy, you are going to need something like a year and a half delay. I doubt that the game will even slip to next year, though.

But, as for your question, I am really not sure how much time in terms of actual time measurements.

Blue Fantasy

Blue Fantasy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, video games, comics, reading, writing, drawing, anime
Er, a little help to those confused about Gamestop... As my local GS employee told me, the release date is the date it ships, and they usually recieve it the next day. So... yeah.

kidninja

kidninja

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:video games, imports, marksmenship, samurai, ninjas, monkeys,technical misc stuff, NiGHTS, sonic, megaman, diffrent anime, and Gintama.
I hope a fixed version comes out on the 19 because alot of people are waiting for that day and if the delay is true there hearts would break

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
Mario and sonic @v Olympics is the #1 top selling game in the UK right now. I think it will be a sizeable success.
As for niGHTS JOD, whenever it releases doesnt matter much to me. Ive had it paid off since May :P

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
You know, i just realized something. It's the 11th December right now in the UK but over in Japan, the 11th December is just finishing because their time zones are ahead of us. Most people in Japan will be going to right about now and by the time our 11th December is finished in the UK, it will the morning of the 12th Dec in Japan.

So, what i'm getting at is, by tonight for us in the UK, the Japanese will only have one more day until the release of JoD in their country.
...lucky gits.

I think it's fair to say that this delay was never in place to begin with but that the Sega PR got things HORRIBLY twisted.
I would like to appologize for all the confusion that's happened in terms of this release date. It just goes to show you can't even trust the PR's sometimes.
Not my bad, i was merely the messenger...but i'll appologize anyway.

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition

You know, i just realized something. It's the 11th December right now in the UK but over in Japan, the 11th December is just finishing because their time zones are ahead of us. Most people in Japan will be going to right about now and by the time our 11th December is finished in the UK, it will the morning of the 12th Dec in Japan.

So, what i'm getting at is, by tonight for us in the UK, the Japanese will only have one more day until the release of JoD in their country.
...lucky gits.

I think it's fair to say that this delay was never in place to begin with but that the Sega PR got things HORRIBLY twisted.
I would like to appologize for all the confusion that's happened in terms of this release date. It just goes to show you can't even trust the PR's sometimes.
Not my bad, i was merely the messenger...but i'll appologize anyway.

No need to apologize, DiGi, but I appreciate the clarification regardless. <3 We were all confused; it's nobodys fault!

One more day until everything's proven, though. I was wondering about the whole Japanese time-discrepancy myself... thank goodness you realized it too. I'm a lot more confident hearing it from you! ^^;

...I've had JoD reserved since SEPTEMBER though. XD I do hope my claim's still valid!!

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
For those in the U.S., NiGHTS will be coming out in Japan on 10:00 AM tomorrow. Of course this is for those who live in the East Coast. Times may differ in other parts of the country.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
As Ive said before though..

Maybe the demos, screenshots, and videos shown to the public were of earlier builds (since they do require some lead time to prepare) and not indicative of the development up to that specific date. I think its possible that early level design for every stage in the game might have been in place as early as May or June but not finished enough to show. but I highly doubt that they were just now finishing up level designs as various demos went to press. I also think that My DREAM starts out simple and ugly on purpose. Any customizable level starts off barren, empty, and ugly. Thats why you build it up. The platforming sections are obviously complete, as are the stages. The graphics have been polished to a beautiful shine as seen in the latest videos. The framerate has been tweaked. The bosses have been unveiled. I think the game is ready to go.

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Running (Cross Country), video games (especially NiGHTS, of course), and other various things.
People over on the Gamefaqs board have, apparantly, imported it already. They have positive first impressions, but they've said nothing you guys havent covered months ago. =p

But yeah, NiGHTS is officially out in Japan, I think.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I can't be out in Japan yet, at least, not to the point it can be imported. When you import a game, don't you have to wait a week until it's delivered?

kidninja

kidninja

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:video games, imports, marksmenship, samurai, ninjas, monkeys,technical misc stuff, NiGHTS, sonic, megaman, diffrent anime, and Gintama.
^_^ Wait so like is the game out on the 18th/19th :huh:
Cause Im a bit confused or do we still have to wait till jan/feb

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Running (Cross Country), video games (especially NiGHTS, of course), and other various things.
That's what I thought, Mach. >_> I sense shady stuff going on, undoubtedly. The question is whether two/three people are lying at once or if they pulled a fast one. Meh.

kidninja

kidninja

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
yeah man its a cospiracy man get our hopes up man the man tryin to Manhandle us man erm Kraken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users