Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Deep Loner's Content

There have been 74 items by Deep Loner (Search limited from 28-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#18468 Greetings one and All

Posted by Deep Loner on 27 September 2007 - 03:47 PM in Introduce Yourself

Welcome. You came at just the right time!

#18467 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 27 September 2007 - 03:43 PM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Yeah! Beat the crap out of that window! ...er... ;)

#18254 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 26 September 2007 - 12:50 AM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Posted Image!

P.S. Get well, DiGi.

#18252 What are you listening to right now?

Posted by Deep Loner on 26 September 2007 - 12:35 AM in Community Corner

DiGi back in his heyday. Private lols i'm afraid ^^;

;) Oh, I thought you were talking about me. ^_^

#18239 What are you listening to right now?

Posted by Deep Loner on 25 September 2007 - 10:48 PM in Community Corner

A very funny rant by a very funny person.

Oh, please, do tell us more. ;)

#18212 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 25 September 2007 - 09:02 PM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Send everybody an e-mail when the show is finished and online.

I need to create a "How Loud Did You LOL" topic about my segment; not that I don't stand by my predictions (I'm being absolutely serious), but I know that at least some people are going to ROTFL for hours on end, and they'll need an outlet here. ^_^

But don't you DARE give out any spoilers before then, DiGi! ^_^

Edit: Or TRiPPY!

#18133 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 25 September 2007 - 01:25 AM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Don't quote me on it, but I THINK you have almost 2 weeks.

Yes. DiGi said the same thing to me in a private message, which was three days ago at the time of this writing.

That doesn't mean that you should wait two weeks if you want to be in the show, however...

#18127 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 24 September 2007 - 11:14 PM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Status update:

I was wrong about not being home over the weekend, so I'll have my clip in tomorrow.

#18125 Hi everyone! ^_^

Posted by Deep Loner on 24 September 2007 - 10:42 PM in Introduce Yourself

Welcome! And if I may say so myself, you joined us at exactly, precisely the right time! :(

(Inside joke, sorry. But still, you're welcome.)

#18080 Ideya Quick Quiz

Posted by Deep Loner on 24 September 2007 - 05:24 PM in Poll Area

Wisdom is praticaly born with the knowledge they have.
And Intelligence is learned by studying and hardwork.
(Thats how I view it.)

I respect your opinion, Ekairi. :) But I disagree substantially.

I think that it's more accurate to say that knowledge and skill are learned by studying and hard work, since these attributes are hardly inborn but must be accquired and trained.

At the risk of oversimplifying, intelligence would be more like a clock speed measurement of the brain, specifically, of the brain's ability to learn and process information. Take two children in a classroom. One of them might learn and solve problems quickly, the other might need to take a little more time. While both are studying toward the same knowledge and skill, intelligence is responsible for the ability to do mental work quicker and more efficiently. Researchers speak of "multiple intelligences", or different measurements of intelligence for different cognitive functions, and this is probably accurate. Overall intelligence is believed to remain fairly constant throughout one's life, although I personally believe that intelligence can be voluntarily increased, albiet only with very hard work, and only marginally.

I've always view wisdom as knowledge and intelligence applied towards practical value and towards the greater good. The difference isn't particularly clear, because, for example, a person who does something wise is often (perhaps incorrectly) said to be acting "intelligently". But there are plenty of examples of intelligent persons committing foolishness, which is the opposite of wisdom. For example, a person might have knowledge of what could happen if the bills are not paid, and with intelligence may even be able to reckon how difficult life would become under those circumstances. Yet if this knowledgable, intelligent person decides to stay at home playing NiGHTS into Dreams all day, he's acting very foolishly. This is still an intelligent person, but one who is making stupid choices, and is certainly not wise.

Perhaps a better example: emotional intelligence is the ability to infer another's thoughts and feelings in interpersonal situations, much as rational intelligence applies to learning and problem solving (and I must admit to not being very emotionally intelligent). Someone who uses emotional intelligence (along with knowledge) to help another person and save a friendship is acting with wisdom.

This is why I believe that wisdom synergizes knowledge and intelligence, and is also a step above either of the other two.

It's a neat quiz, and I like the discussion it produces. :)

I always saw wisdom as knowledge about things you couldn't study in books, if that makes sense. "Lessons of life" and all that...

Indeed. One cannot go to school to study wisdom (so-called "wisdom literature" is NOT the same thing), and life lessons are both the primary and most effective means of aquiring it.

green
hmmm.....

My intelligence tells me that you were expecting blue. :D

Try my other color quiz.
(In my sig)

Jonathan is red, Deep Loner is green. Interesting...

By the way, did you want us to try to crack the name color quiz? It's probably not that difficult... B)

#18014 Reala's new design?

Posted by Deep Loner on 24 September 2007 - 03:03 AM in Poll Area

Just wanted to comment on Reala's coloration. The outfit will have much better color saturation and contrast than is shown. IGN's video was either recorded or encoded with too much brightness and not enough contrast, resulting in a muted, washed out look uncharacteristic of the original material.

We should probably withhold final final judgement until we have better source material.

Besides, all of the discussion so far ignores the far more important question: how effective is Reala as a character? That in itself is another good reason to withhold judgement. :lol:

#18011 Hewo~ ^_^

Posted by Deep Loner on 24 September 2007 - 02:46 AM in Introduce Yourself

Welcome, you came at the right time.

I think he says that to everybody.

But still, welcome! :lol:

#18009 NiGHTS JoD Offscreen video from TGS!

Posted by Deep Loner on 24 September 2007 - 02:40 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

I would have to say yeah they do, seeing as it is Sonic team, lead by Iizuka, lead programmer from the original game and the same art designer and music directior from the original.

I remember reading quotes of Naka saying that he would be extra careful making another NiGHTS game because he valued the franchise so much. From what we've seen, the development team seems to be following that philosophy. Sonic Team is being smart enough to expand the game universe little bits at a time instead of reinventing everything all at once – a very strong temptation for imaginative game designers, but an idea that Sonic Team rightly recognizes would prove quite disastrous indeed.

#17988 Ideya Quick Quiz

Posted by Deep Loner on 23 September 2007 - 09:54 PM in Poll Area

I got GREEN. I know that I'm quite the contender for blue, intelligence, but I'm flattered to receive green instead. Wisdom is a synergy of knowledge and intelligence, elevated above both.

#17956 NiGHTS JoD Offscreen video from TGS!

Posted by Deep Loner on 23 September 2007 - 04:26 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

How can NiGHTS fly under water?

I've observed in my own dreams that I'm always able to breathe underwater.

On the other hand, it is possible that NiGHTS' "Mermaren" form from the first game is returning, but that that detail simply hadn't been implemented yet.

#17891 Doop de doo...

Posted by Deep Loner on 23 September 2007 - 02:18 AM in Introduce Yourself

Welcome, you came at just the right time.

Indeed. Journey of Dreams is looking to be a high-quality game of the same premise as the original, but with slight enhancements and modifications that I think will serve well to expand the universe. Welcome.

#17887 Sorry, forgot to introduce myself...

Posted by Deep Loner on 23 September 2007 - 02:13 AM in Introduce Yourself

...after thirty-two posts. I'm so sorry! :lol:

Anyway, my online name is Deep Loner and my real name is Jonathan. I'm twenty-four years old and will soon begin studying for an Associate of Specialized Business Degree in Computer Science and Programming.

I like to be silly sometimes, but everybody tells me that I have a dry sense of humor, that I'm too serious, and that I need to lighten up. Besides the aforementioned silliness, I try to post only when I think I have something important to offer, which means that I will probably post less frequently than others. Sometimes I'll make a long, rambling post that nobody pays attention to anyway. <_< My thinking is very logical and pragmatic. My precision with spelling, grammar, and accuracy at times tends toward pedantry, which means that I might make dozens of minor edits to even the simplest posts.

I remember when NiGHTS into Dreams came out, but did not actually play the game until 2002. My fascination with NiGHTS was centered around its fictional universe per se rather than the actual game; as a result, I finished the game very quickly and did not spend much time looking for replay value. At the time I was not the kind of person who would spend time perfecting aerial maneuvers or running up high scores. I like to think that my gaming tastes have matured since then.

My nickname "Deep Loner" is anachronistic; I was certainly a deep loner during childhood and adolescence, but am so no longer.

#17881 NiGHTS JoD Offscreen video from TGS!

Posted by Deep Loner on 22 September 2007 - 11:44 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

So..now its the fish bosses turn to get a name. Since he reminds us of Gulpo yet his movement patterns seem to represent that of Gilwing we have dubbed the new fish boss GulWing. ...do you see what we did there? <_<

Yup. Welcome to portmanteaupia! :lol:

The problem with making a word out of Gilwing and Gulpo is that it sounds a lot like one of the original names no matter what you do. Still, I prefer the alternate name Gilpo. Edit: I just thought of this. What about Gulpwing?

Also... uh, I joined the community a bit late. What was the etymology of the name Phuckle?

Also, has the boss level changed at all? It seems different somehow. o.o?

I think it has, although I don't feel like doing an in-depth analysis.

#17844 NiGHTS JoD Offscreen video from TGS!

Posted by Deep Loner on 22 September 2007 - 02:43 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

I'm practically looping the movie over and over again and watching it while I work on the computer, watch TV, and sleep. :D

Multitasking is bad for productivity. Just focus on the videos, and forget about work and sleep. ^_^

I also have to comment about how clueless the players look playing this game. Game developers use affordances and metaphors to implicitly teach players what to do in their games, e.g. how someone playing a first-person shooter who sees barrels automatically knows that shooting the barrels will make them explode. Or if a door is locked, one probably needs to backtrack and find a key somewhere. If a menacing NPC starts attacking the player, nobody wonders if that character is somehow an ally. And with very few exceptions (like Call of Duty), there are always going to me more bad guys in the game than good guys. These kind of things often come across as cliché, but it's the reason why developers don't have to put huge text boxes on the screen saying, "That white box with the first-aid symbol on it can be used to replenish your health," or in multiplayer games, "Those players who spawn right next to you and who are wearing the same colors as you are also on the same team as you are!"

My point is that floating rings in flying games aren't anything new. They've been around probably as long as flying games themselves have been around. It's a common metaphor: if one is playing a flying game and sees rings suspended in the air, it's probably the objective of the game to fly through the rings. Most games will reward you for flying through multiple floating rings in a row. Not only that, but the floating rings probably serve as an affordance as well, leading the players in the direction that they're supposed to go in the game. It's not like NiGHTS is the first game to do this.

Things like the trick ribbon, paraloops, and catching the giant flying bird will probably need explanation from the game's developers to those unfamilar with NiGHTS, but even the giant bird uses a convienant affordance: there's an NPC flying through the exact same path that I'm supposed to fly through, except he's flying a little bit faster than I am. I bet it's my goal to overtake him somehow! Yet there was this big dialog box on screen that probably said something like, Hey! Moron! That bird's flying through the same path you're supposed to fly through! You're supposed to catch up to him, dimwit!

Struggling with the game controls is one thing, but I can't believe that these players couldn't even figure out what they're supposed to be doing.

#17789 NiGHTS JoD Offscreen video from TGS!

Posted by Deep Loner on 22 September 2007 - 02:48 AM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

LOL!!! It almost looks like the boss was trying to manifest sex appeal... :lol:

#17780 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 22 September 2007 - 01:57 AM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

I'll post this here just in case somebody has this problem.

If you're using Windows and your microphone is otherwise working correctly, except that your recorded voice is just too soft to be able to hear, try this:
  • Open the Control Panel
  • Select Sounds and Audio Devices
  • Select the tab labeled Voice
  • In the section labeled Voice recording, make sure that your microphone is selected, then click the button labeled Volume
  • In the Recording Control window that appears, open the Options menu and make sure that the Advanced Controls option is selected
  • Click the button at the bottom of the window labeled Advanced
  • In the Advanced Controls for Microphone window that appears, look for a section labeled Other Controls and make sure that the option labeled Microphone Boost is selected
If you're slapping your forehead at this point, don't fret. Microsoft did a good job of burying that necessary option under many mouse clicks. People have actually sent in software bug reports for not knowing how to configure their microphones, so don't worry about it. :lol:

Anyway, enjoy your recording, and feel free to post here or PM me if you need any help! B)

#17740 Dreams Dreams

Posted by Deep Loner on 21 September 2007 - 09:29 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

The vocals are different, way different.

I knew they sounded different in some parts, but I thought that was just because of the remix (e.g. reverb that was added, or the differences in the accompaniment exposing vocal nuances we didn't hear the first time, stuff like that). They really do sound like the first vocalists. Am I tone deaf or something?

Anyway, I'd also like to see Helen and her mother play the opening strings part.

#17713 Dreams Dreams

Posted by Deep Loner on 21 September 2007 - 07:54 PM in [ARCHiVED] JOD Discussion

My first impression was disappointment that they are using the same music and vocals from eleven years ago, but the mix is of very high quality and outshines the older version in several ways. And I can imagine FMV of NiGHTS playing the (air?) flute solo.

Anyway, hands up if you want to see TRiPPY and DiGi sing the duet in DreamCast 04! *raises hand*

#17710 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 21 September 2007 - 07:10 PM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Reason for edit: because i'm a busy bunny man
Reason for edit: because i'm a very busy bunny man
Reason for edit: because i am a VERY busy bunny man
Reason for edit: because i am a VEEEEEERY busy bunny man
Reason for edit: because i am a VERY bloody busy bunny man
Reason for edit: because i am a VERY BLOODY busy bunny man
Reason for edit: because i am a very bloody stupidly busy bunny man
Reason for edit: because i am a very bloody stupidly impossibly busy bunny man
Reason for edit: because i am... *dies from being busy*
Reason for edit: *is dead*
Reason for edit: *died 5 minutes ago*

You know, "bloody busy" sounds to an American like two adjectives (e.g. I'm a very bloody, busy bunny man.), rather than one adjective preceeded by an adverb. I was a bit worried there for a second.

Anyway, DiGi's not dead. He has merely collapsed from dehydration, exhaustion, and low blood sugar. :o

#17161 Wanna Be On Show 04?

Posted by Deep Loner on 16 September 2007 - 04:39 PM in [ARCHiVED] Misc

Yes.

Edit: I think sending private messages would work better than editing posts; that way we can also be notified by e-mail.

--EDiT--
DiGi - You're in. You'll get a PM from me shortly. Sit tight. :huh: