Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Sonic Colors" announced!

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Ozcrash

Ozcrash

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
I opened a wikia page for it. Read it rather than I copying it here.

http://sonic.wikia.c...ki/Sonic_Colors

I personally think the idea is very creative and they are not going to divide their focus to Sonic 4 and this. It will be a great game if SEGA knows how to use this idea. :)

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Wow. The internet sure moves fast. Already a wiki lol...

Anyway, I'm remaining cautious. The last time I got too excited about a 3D Sonic game a wild Werehog appeared. The game's description sounds promising but all SEGA has to do is show one ridiculous gimmick, just one, and the hype train derails leaving dozens dead.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Well the Wii version is supposedly part 3D and part 2D, but the DS version is entirely 2D. And since I have a DS and no Wii, it's obvious which version I'll be getting. IMO, the only seriously bad 2D Sonic game was Sonic Blast for Game Gear; I feel like this will be a game worthy of my playing/buying.

I'm not really going to get excited about it until I know more, but a combination of Sonic the Hedgehog and crazy neon rainbow-ness is a *thumbs-up* in my book.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Posted Image

I knew this looked familiar!

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting
Issit just me, or do thouse things remind you of the new London olympics mascots?

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.
Oooh... colorful! :)

If it plays like Unleashed day levels, it'll be fun! I'm just not gonna get too excited yet...

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
LOL Jof. Needed that.

Anyway, so he chases after these colorful aliens while collecting their wisp to go even faster and such. Doesn't sound like an acid trip. No sir, not at all...

Seriously starting to miss Black Doom all of a sudden. Not that I won't give this game a chance. But it certainly is overwhelming to believe. Especially considering most of the directions Sonic games of late have gone. If I had seen a concept like this over a decade ago I probably wouldn't have questioned it. This just caught me off guard.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Issit just me, or do thouse things remind you of the new London olympics mascots?

I just have to say that those are the creepiest mascots imaginable.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Hm.. the idea of this game working off crazy theme park colorful stuff has me really excited

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

Ain't that the truth. *cringe*

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
This looks intriguing. There are distinct shades of "Flicky" in there. (No pun intended)

Posted Image

Sonic: What's Octopaw doing here?

They look like happy protozoa, but it's beyond me what they have to do with London or the Olympics. At least it's not what Vancouver had...Posted Image
Posted Image

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted Image

At first I didn't know what you were talking about even though it was in plain sight the whole time...

Sonic: What's Octopaw doing here?

...but now I completely understand and I just chuckled a bit.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
First bit of standoffishness concerning this game- hearing about a 'kid friendly' focus, which has me concerned since Sonic has always been kid friendly. I'm a-sacred they're gonna dumb things down and ruin it. Tell me it'll be okay, mommy..

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I have my standard reaction of "Don't give a crap until I see some footage". Now I love my rainbows as much as the next Appletini drinking straight man, but without even seeing or hearing how the game plays I can already smell a shitty gimmick.

*Puts on a jeweled turban*

I'm going to make a prediction and say this is going to be like Kirby Canvas Curse but with Sonic.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I'm going to make a prediction and say this is going to be like Kirby Canvas Curse but with Sonic.

That's the first thing I though of when I read the title. ;)

As for Sonic always being kid friendly, he isn't when you have deformed monsters, angry aliens, and the D*&!% fourth chaos emerald!

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Ah, stuff like the Werehog is fairly kid friendly, I'd say. Kid friendliest form of Kratos you'll find. (and as for the Shadow thing, they were trying too hard there to make the game ''mature''.)

Otherwise compared to other shenanigans the premise for this game sounds practically downright brilliant. For once they're at least focusing on something that works with actual Sonic gameplay, I think. Of course assuming skepticism until proof is still a rather sensible approach to take.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Ah, stuff like the Werehog is fairly kid friendly, I'd say. Kid friendliest form of Kratos you'll find. (and as for the Shadow thing, they were trying too hard there to make the game ''mature''.)

True, but that doesn't men six year olds weren't playing it anyway. :)

Otherwise compared to other shenanigans the premise for this game sounds practically downright brilliant. For once they're at least focusing on something that works with actual Sonic gameplay, I think. Of course assuming skepticism until proof is still a rather sensible approach to take.

It will susposedly be playable at E3, so we'll find out how it is then. I have a feeling that you break badniks and the protozoa/octopus things pop out, then follow you. Once you have enough, you can do snazzy attacks. Like Sonic 3-D Blast, but better.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
http://gonintendo.co...y.php?id=125335

with unconfirmed but reported Cheeseburger Zone

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Wahoo, Shadow returns. Sonic Re-Colours, anyone?

Jell-O? Really? The game sounds hilariously over the top. The Lady Gaga of Sonic games, if you will. :)

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Some scans from Nintendo Power:

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

JELLO CONFIRMED.

Feniiku

Feniiku

iMAGNi SPY!

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Drawing<br />Gaming<br />Reading
It looks colourful, insane, and like it might be a lot of fun XD to echo my post elsewhere: MANY COLOURS AND ROLLERCOASTERS. What's not to love XD

Also, the top right photo of the DS version has an Orbinaut in it :)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Interview with Iizuka- http://www.tssznews....takashi-iizuka/

Sounds good, except this:

"Iizuka also said in the interview he would like to “evolve” the Sonic franchise into something that can be enjoyed by gamers of all ages. He believes both Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors will be “a good demonstration” of his vision."

Aren't Sonic games generally rated E, for everyone? Duh duh duh.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Aren't Sonic games generally rated E, for everyone? Duh duh duh.

I really want to blame this on TSSZ. Maybe Iizuka means the Sonic will appeal to both yound and old? Sega tends to have an either-or method when it comes to games- either it's fluffy a plotless fpr little kids, or it's "mature" and plotless for "adults." Perhaps this will be like the Genesis games and bridge the gap?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I think Iizuka is just being dense; he need not pander to a specific age group. To appeal to an older crowd the game just needs to be good (meaning creative, solid, fun, enjoyable, with a nice normal level of difficulty), since kids are a less discerning audience and appealing to only them more likely means you just didn't make a very good game. It's like with cartoons, the good ones are those written well enough that adults can watch, rather than being so dumb that only kids will sit down and enjoy it.

A Sonic game should always have that universal appeal. It's a no brainer.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
I think this game pretty much wont' be pretending to be anything it's not. A lot of the modern Sonic games have been incredibly convoluted in terms of insane storylines, gigantic casts, non-traditional platforming forms of gameplay, etc. I haven't played Sonic 2006 yet but from everything I've heard, it was a desperately-trying-to-be-mature MESS.

I assume this will be like "Sonic and Tails were running around and ran into some colorful alien guys. Eggman is probably also trying to get the chaos emeralds. It's up to Sonic to save the day or something! With those weird colorful alien dudes!?"

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
Well I'm gonna wait a little while to see if I even wanna get interested in it at all. A lot of Sonic games just bore me these days or just make me face palm.

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Concerning what Iizuka stated about making this game for "everyone"... I feel that that will be more along the lines of Sonic 4. I can imagine adult non-Sonic fans buying Sonic 4, just because it's Sonic 4, being similar to the classic games. I'm not so sure those same people would go out and buy Colors. It just seems a little too appealing to children, and may seem a little like all the other 3D Sonic games that "killed the franchise" in their eyes. Who knows, though. I would buy it if I were an adult. But hey, I'm a huge Sonic fan. Of course I'm gonna buy it.

And I'm also REALLY pumped for the DS version. It looks EXACTLY like Sonic Rush 3 would. :)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
New screens http://www.computera...e.php?id=251008
Posted Image

The site also has a preview up.. on rails sections are limited to mini games; sounds good to me

Full act gameplay http://www.sonicstad...ain-act-2-video

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Game site http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicColors/#

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
It's shiny and looks easy enough to get into; seems like a good game to me. It's very "Sonic-y."

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
If I still had a Wii, I'd seriously think about picking this up. From everything I've seen so far, it looks like a lot more of the Unleashed style gameplay, which is fine by me, as I thought that game was one of best Sonic games in a long while.

However, what strikes me as odd, is that the Unleashed style gameplay is that of the 360/PS3 version, and not the Dimps Wii version. Just to be sure, I compared videos of Unleashed Wii with Colours, and then with Unleashed 360, and it's definately the 360/PS3 style this game is using (the Wii version was pretty different, felt alot more like a racing game of sorts). It's noticable with Sonic's boosting in this game, his jump, and the general look of the game. It's a very curious thing, almost as if someone at SEGA realised that the Wii version didn't quite stand up to it's counterparts, so they decided to almost port over the other games engine or something.

That being said, this is a beautiful looking Wii game. I'm almost fooled into thinking it's running on the 360 or something.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

If I still had a Wii, I'd seriously think about picking this up. From everything I've seen so far, it looks like a lot more of the Unleashed style gameplay, which is fine by me, as I thought that game was one of best Sonic games in a long while.

However, what strikes me as odd, is that the Unleashed style gameplay is that of the 360/PS3 version, and not the Dimps Wii version. Just to be sure, I compared videos of Unleashed Wii with Colours, and then with Unleashed 360, and it's definately the 360/PS3 style this game is using (the Wii version was pretty different, felt alot more like a racing game of sorts). It's noticable with Sonic's boosting in this game, his jump, and the general look of the game. It's a very curious thing, almost as if someone at SEGA realised that the Wii version didn't quite stand up to it's counterparts, so they decided to almost port over the other games engine or something.

That being said, this is a beautiful looking Wii game. I'm almost fooled into thinking it's running on the 360 or something.

I hope it isn't as fast as Unleashed was on Wii; Sonic was impossible to control. :)

Also, it shows that the Wii can do good things. It's not an NES that wandered into 2010.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
I was pre-determining that I was going to buy the DS version but from comparison I might go Wii because DS version is really just like Sonic Rush and I already abused both of those games. It looks great and I don't really mind that its on the Sonic Unleashed engine because Unleashed was not that bad and it looks like this game holds its own uniqueness even running on it (New abilities and objectives...I hope.) I could also get a Wii Motion Plus to make my life easier. The only thing that I can't help and the one thing Sonic Teams gonna have to fix is the CAMERA ANGLES, please do make this game fun and not annoyingly aggravating dude to falling off obstacles at speeds sonic couldn't even fathom. It looks like it will mainly have a past pace aspect and they should be careful where Sonic is just going to end up one sequence after the next. the abilities look fun but I want to see game play before its got a solid vote from me.

Two questions I raise from reading the plot on Sega's website:
(1) Why is Eggman obsessed with amusement parks?
(2) How did Sonic discover Eggmans "mysterious theme park IN SPACE?"
Lol

TCT

TCT

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Games, comics, anime

He wants to have fun^^

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

He wants to have fun^^

♫ Oh woho Nerds just wanna have fuuuun! do do do do do do do do do ♫

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

The only thing that I can't help and the one thing Sonic Teams gonna have to fix is the CAMERA ANGLES, please do make this game fun and not annoyingly aggravating dude to falling off obstacles at speeds sonic couldn't even fathom.

What's a Sonic game without evil camera angles? I really don't think such a thing exsists. :)

Two questions I raise from reading the plot on Sega's website:
(2) How did Sonic discover Eggmans "mysterious theme park IN SPACE?"
Lol

The plot says so?

♫ Oh woho Nerds just wanna have fuuuun! do do do do do do do do do ♫

♫ I get home in the morning light,
Scratch and Grounder yell "What you gonna do with your life?"
Oh, slow-mo dears,
You know you're still number one,
But nerds,
They wanna have fu-un,
Oh, nerds,just wanna have
That's all they really want.....
Some fun....

When the world-dominating day is done,
Oh, nerds,
They wanna have fu-un,
Oh, nerds,
Just wanna have fun....♫

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.

What's a Sonic game without evil camera angles? I really don't think such a thing exsists. :P

The plot says so?

Oh, slow-mo dears,
But nerds,
They wanna have fu-un,
Some fun....

Oh, nerds,
They wanna have fu-un,
Oh, nerds,
Just wanna have fun....♫

you had a perfectly good song there, until scratch and grounder were involved. at that point the song became legendary, not just good XD

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music

The plot says so?

Oh, slow-mo dears,
But nerds,
They wanna have fu-un,
Some fun....

Oh, nerds,
They wanna have fu-un,
Oh, nerds,
Just wanna have fun....♫

I demand an explanation for sonic's unbound sight into SPACE you see? Haha and those lyrics are a nice touch, now make a video and sing for us please :P

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

you had a perfectly good song there, until scratch and grounder were involved. at that point the song became legendary, not just good XD

I demand an explanation for sonic's unbound sight into SPACE you see? Haha and those lyrics are a nice touch, now make a video and sing for us please :P

My Cyndi Lauper impression is scary, but you asked for it. :P

Sonic goes into space regularly. You see, the games take place in the year 2001, when spaceflights will be normal, and we can all go to round swirly space stations. ;D

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

My Cyndi Lauper impression is scary, but you asked for it. :P

Sonic goes into space regularly. You see, the games take place in the year 2001, when spaceflights will be normal, and we can all go to round swirly space stations. ;D

That is a more realistic way of putting it. I forgot to factor how much he actually does travel to space. I was actually thinking more like he was standing on Earth and looked up or like needing not to breath in space floating about and just coming across it, silly me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users