Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dreams could be watched on computer screens

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

A Japanese research team has revealed it had created a technology that could eventually display on a computer screen what people have on their minds, such as dreams.

Researchers at the ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories succeeded in processing and displaying images directly from the human brain, they said in a study unveiled ahead of publication in the US magazine Neuron.

While the team for now has managed to reproduce only simple images from the brain, they said the technology could eventually be used to figure out dreams and other secrets inside people's minds.

"It was the first time in the world that it was possible to visualise what people see directly from the brain activity," the private institute said in a statement.

"By applying this technology, it may become possible to record and replay subjective images that people perceive like dreams."

When people look at an object, the eye's retina recognises an image that is converted into electrical signals which go into the brain's visual cortex.

The team, led by chief researcher Yukiyasu Kamitani, succeeded in catching the signals and then reconstructing what people see.

In their experiment, the researchers showed people the six letters in the word "neuron" and then succeeded in reconstructing the letters on a computer screen by measuring their brain activity.

The team said that it first figured out people's individual brain patterns by showing them some 400 different still images.

Source

There are also similar articles with pictures, here and here.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Hopefully folks won't forget that it is what is felt by dreams that is more important than what is specifically seen. At least that is what I think.

Also, fusing a human brain with a computer and translating thoughts into digital data? It is officially the future, apparently! I didn't think that could actually be done.

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
*starts working wildly on this device and hopes on finishing it before the japanese,but device explodes* japanese always make futuristic stuff first *perhaps because they have small hands,lol,jk* anyways,probably the time i will actually aford it when it comes out is probably when im 60,LOL,because think of it,it takes a few years for prices to go down enough for regular people,good news though.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
This is actually abit of a scary device in my point of view, if it succeeds...
Reminds me of an antagonists plot in a story I read... or show I watched... I don't remember which :/

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
^The City of Lost Children, perhaps?

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I've always thought about concepts like this. I'd be interested to give it a try some day.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

^The City of Lost Children, perhaps?

I don't think so...
I recall the antagonist mentioning something about invading ppls minds and...
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!!
that's it!
Irina Spalko mentioned a weapon that was capable of putting their thoughts into others minds "invading their dreams"
maybe it's not the same concept but it's not far off...
not to mention that when science begins to understand something they end up trying to control it...

NeoScriptor

NeoScriptor

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Programming, Gaming, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, and misc. geeky stuff.
Anybody seen the movie Brainstorm? It reminds me of that.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
On one hand, I've always wanted to somehow show my friends what my dreams are like so they can see why I take them so seriously. On the other hand, I'm nervous about that kind of technology being around. I don't want anyone peeking into my mind who I don't want to. What if the government decides to use this? 1984 (book) comes to mind...

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
That's what I'm talking about!
Now I'm not paranoid or anything... but there's many ways this can be used as a weapon or spy tool...

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Yeah i can see it being used for bad reasons other than dreams. Subconscious warfare and instant crime trials... sort of like Minority report, lol.

HOWEVER if it was used for good it would create many more creative people and ideas that would be completely forgotten upon waking up. It would then lead to being able to chose and program your dreams... but that makes me a bit sad.

I'd buy popcorn and hook my brain up to a cinema screen XD Seriously, my dreams are nuts.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
This is f*!*ing fantastic! I have been asking for something like this and wondered if it's even possible for such a long time.
I have so much trouble keeping track of my dreams and i forget them half the time. It really irritates me. Being able to record and see visually what i was dreaming would be awesome.

Drawbacks, yeah, it could totally be missued and if the wrong people have their hands on it then that could be a big problem. But for people like me who just want to be able to see what their dreams look like, this is fantastic.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I wonder if they'd call it the Alpha Catch *real life Cowboy Bebop tech FTW*

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
That's cool, but also really creepy. Like DiGi said, it would be great for us dream diarists. On the other hand, it sounds like the plot of a bad Sci-fi flick. Not everyone wants their subconscious announced to the world. It has it's pros and cons. ;)

Lost in Dream

Lost in Dream

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:The Panzer Dragoon Series, Legend of Zelda, NiGHTS, running around as a pirate on the beach
I am split on this idea.

I more enjoy the full depth and emotion from the dream itself and exploring what I remember to piece it all together.
But it could be useful on those days that I blank almost as soon as I wake up.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Yeah, I'd like it for helping dream recall, too. It would also help me keep my memory of the dream clearer. Sometimes I read the entries of dreams that stuck out in my mind and I'll find that there was a whole scene that had faded out of memory. I still can't decide whether all the pros are worth the cons, though. I guess if there were laws prohibiting its use on a person without their consent, even by law enforcement, then it might be okay...

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Reminds me of the part in Wall E where the captain sticks that thingamajig onto Eve's head...

Ditto Digi's post without the foul language.

Oh, and hi peoples! I haven't been active in a looooong time.

MagicPickleFairy

MagicPickleFairy

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Video Games, Anime, Musical Theater.
The whole concept reminds me of an anime movie called Paprika. I have never seen the movie, but it's about watching dreams through a computer screen.

It would be cool to see other people's dreams, but I am also split. I find dreams very personal to other people. They should have a right to share them if they want to, but if they have a dream that they don't want others to know about, they should also have the right not to share it. Hopefully this will not come to a 1984 like use. They already have video cameras for city streets in some cities.

tinfoil

tinfoil

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
This is a little creepy.
My subconscious should STAY subconscious. I don't need my dreams broadcast for all to see. (Says the person with one of those online dream diaries that people actually read.)

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
Well if it were for private and personal use it would be kinda fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users