Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Surrealism

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I just got finished watching one of thee most coolest and the most awkward animated films in the history of animated films. It's called "Fantastic Planet" or "La Planet Sauvage"

While watching it I got the idea in my head that it'd be cool if a NiGHTS game was as surreal as this movie. Some say the movie was "creepy" but I didn't think so. I think it would be an interesting take on the Nightmare part of the dream world. I've always loved the surrealistic features in NiGHTS games and that's what I love about the series but this movie just seemed to have stepped up my view of surrealism on a whole new level.

To see what I'm talking about if you have never heard of this film I've provided a few links:

The trailer:

The entire movie:
http://youtube.com/w...re=related(Part 1)
http://youtube.com/w...re=related(Part 2)
(Part 3)
http://youtube.com/w...re=related(Part 4)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ASv3gtTh8ik&feature=related (Part 5)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=x9R1qyr5y_Q&feature=related (Part 6)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a8pJlmOVfQA&feature=related (Part 7)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lwLNhOzr_ts&feature=related (Part 8)

Envy

Envy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I just got finished watching one of thee most coolest and the most awkward animated films in the history of animated films. It's called "Fantastic Planet" or "La Planet Sauvage"

While watching it I got the idea in my head that it'd be cool if a NiGHTS game was as surreal as this movie. Some say the movie was "creepy" but I didn't think so. I think it would be an interesting take on the Nightmare part of the dream world. I've always loved the surrealistic features in NiGHTS games and that's what I love about the series but this movie just seemed to have stepped up my view of surrealism on a whole new level.

To see what I'm talking about if you have never heard of this film I've provided a few links:

Ugh, how could you watch that creepy strange movie... I'll bet it was my fault for posting it in the archive of WEIRD thread. D:

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

Ugh, how could you watch that creepy strange movie... I'll bet it was my fault for posting it in the archive of WEIRD thread. D:

Yeah that's how I saw the trailer from your link. At first I was just confused but not afraid. I'm not as scared of things as I used to be. Akira scared me and that was the last animated movie that ever scared me.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
Yeah, I've seen that. WEIRD, man. WEIRD. And this is from MY standards. Damn, that movie scared the bejeezus out of me and I've no idea WHY.

Envy

Envy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Yeah that's how I saw the trailer from your link. At first I was just confused but not afraid. I'm not as scared of things as I used to be. Akira scared me and that was the last animated movie that ever scared me.

I'm sure Fantastic Planet wouldn't scare me now like it did when I was a little girl. I mean, everything scared me when I was little, but one of my worst fears was aliens. Hence why that particular movie creeps me out.

But I see Nightmare as more of a different sort of surreal place... Idk...

But if I happened to wander into Nightmare I may just find a gigantic blue alien there anyways...

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Music, Designing, Writing, NiGHTS, Zelda, Tennis (as of latey i haven't played it but I have wii sports and Sega Superstar Tennis), chasing busses to get around town, scaring off neighbors by showing my teeth and growling.
2 words, ******* messed! ******* messed! When teletoon 1st aired in canada it was a pure cartoon channel (i was about 10 maybe). For SOME reason at a reasonable hour they played that movie! I watched, i was confsued, i cried, i ate pizza, i cried more and i went to bed. Don't know why I cried, i wasn't sad, more disturbed and stunned it was all i could do. And why did i keep watching it? I dunno.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
Hmm... I've never actually seen this movie just the trailer at first I thought it was some kinda weird messed up movie from a messed up mind but I suppose I can't judge till I've seen it... I'll watch it when I have time and I'll post my response to it...

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
hmmm, I've just watched the trailer, and I don't think that that's right for NiGHTS. If you really want to increase the weirdness of NiGHTS, I think it would be better to take insparation from Rez, but you could've guessed that based on my avatar.

Gun6

Gun6

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Pokemon? (Also, spriting)
I laugh in the face of semi-poor animation quality. This is nothing compared to Giygas.

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
Ok, now that I've seen the whole think, I find the ending somewhat disappointing. Kinda like a Gianax ending without the ambiguity. But now I know where the plot from Battlefield Earth comes from.

And the whole movie is a major downer, with it's muted colors and massive body count. And as for being surreal, there wasn't really that much surreal stuff, at least not since Star Trek. NiGHTS seems way to light hearted for this brand of surrealism. My favorite kind?

<----over here (Rez)

E: come to think of it, NiGHTS into Dreams... (NOT JoD) was pretty surreal already. The 3D stuff was meant to blend strait into the background, making it hard to keep your barrings. Very dreamlike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users