Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Saphira

Saphira

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Her Music:<br />Boys like Girls, Secondhand Serenade, Flyleaf, Silverstien, All time low, CASCADA, Rihanna, Paramore, Linkin Park, Evanescence, M.I.A, Anberlin, Family Force 5<br /><br />Her Hobbies:<br />Drawing, Wii, music, hanging with friends, texting, IMing, writing songs, sewing<br /><br />Random:<br />I really love the smell of gasoline, vanilla, new cars, model homes, pickles, and plastic. <br />I'm really random.
Hey, I'm making a NiGHTS plushie, but I need some patterns to look at so I get the right ideya.
If you don't have patterns, do you have tips?
I also have a few questions:

1. How long does it take to make one?
2. What materials are best, and where can I buy it?
3. How do you get the head and the jester hat to keep it's shape?

Thankies to all who help! :)
~ Saphira :P

Nyx

Nyx

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I'm still working out the kinks on my own patterns, but as for your questions:

- Time spent will vary depending on how much time you have to work on it, and how dedicated you are to completing it. The majority of work on Spectre (my plush doll) took about a weeks worth of work -- but it was spread over about a month.

- All of the materials depend on your budget -- how much are you willing to spend to make your doll exactly how you want it?

My materials were bought randomly. All of what I used for Spectre was actually what I already had lying around, but many different stores exist that sell fabric for exactly this type of project. That being said, you're mostly looking at craft stores.

Plushies can be made out of felts (easy to work with), old shirts (if you've got ripped up shirts that don't fit, you've got scrap fabric), or costume fabrics (which could be a little bit more expensive, but the result is fantastic.) Spectre was made mostly with costume fabrics that I had bought a long time ago, but had never used for anything.

If you're looking at putting beads, sequins, or feathers on your doll, craft shops are still the way to go. However, for both fabric and decoration, the selection can be a little too small, and not have what you want. Online, you have a better chance of finding something, but it could cost you a bit more. Again, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend.

- Assuming I'm thinking of the right thing, in order to keep the shape of the head and hat, you have to stuff them.

Going off of the anatomy of NiGHTS, the head is a perfect circle, and is supposed to float in place. We can't accomplish the floating aspect, but the circle is easy. :blink:

I'm going to attempt to explain how I've done it. There are other ways, I'm sure, but I've yet to try them.

I'll warn you now that I'm not very good with explaining things, so if you're afraid that I might just confuse you more, read no further.

(This is for NiGHTS's hat, you might have to adjust for other characters.)

(Small note, white colored pencils are good for drawing on dark fabric -- regular graphite pencils are good for light colored fabric.)

You cut two circles of your 'skin colored' fabric (could be cream/tan, could be white, it depends on your character). The circles have to be the same size, and they have to be slightly larger than your final head should be.

You sew the two circles together around the edge of the circle, but DON'T sew around completely. When you're about a little over half way, turn it inside out. You want to use doll stuffing -- this, too, you can get at a craft store. It's basically the white stuffing that you would find in a pillow. Stuff the circle, and continue sewing -- the stitches that are on the 'outside' may look a bit messy, but the hat's going over those. Now you're finished the 'orb' of the head.

Now, get the colored fabric for your hat. Draw the profile (side) of NiGHTS's head, but leave out the orb of the head (the part you just made) and pull the horns on the hat out straight. This means that, when you cut the fabric, they won't be 'L' shaped, they'll be '--' shaped.

Make the same shape four times, then cut them out. Sew them together around the edges, like you did the circle for the head, but leave the wide part that attaches to the head open. Flip them inside out, stuff them, and sew them to the orb of the head in whatever position looks most like the character you're making.

Once both of them are done, use your fingers to create the bend in the hat, then sew the bend in the fabric so that it stays that way.

Finally, use small pieces of fabric to finish the detail, and neaten it up a bit. This means the little dip on the front of the hat that separates the eyes, and the part that goes between the horns in the back.

As for details like the eyes and mouth, there are several different ways. Spectre's were embroidered by hand onto her face.

If that makes any sense at all, I hope it helped! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users