Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How much do you think 4kids has gone down hill?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

PsYCHE

PsYCHE

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I personally think because of their dubbings of SonicX , Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece that every anime fan hates them to the point of bashing them with flames in an annoying manner. D: My sister is annoyed by the rants due to the fact there is so many of them. I don't "flame" 4kids, however they've made a horrible mistake when they pushed off Pokemon like that, Pokemon was the only good dubbing they did... before they've become corrupted with money ><;;;

anyone else agree with me?

Mythic

Mythic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy critters, comics and animation, retro things, videogames, the 80's
I think they're so far down hill that hell is 200,000 feet above them. I don't like their new shows, and is it just me or are they just replaying the first series of Sonic X and claiming that it's the "second season"? I'm trying not to flame them, it's just I think they've made a lot of mistakes. Yu-Gi-Oh was an awsome show, but...ya know, 4-Kids kinda messed it up. Poor One Piece...*sniff* Yes, I know I sound flamey. Gimme a break, I haven't had milk yet.

PsYCHE

PsYCHE

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I think they're so far down hill that hell is 200,000 feet above them. I don't like their new shows, and is it just me or are they just replaying the first series of Sonic X and claiming that it's the "second season"? I'm trying not to flame them, it's just I think they've made a lot of mistakes. Yu-Gi-Oh was an awsome show, but...ya know, 4-Kids kinda messed it up. Poor One Piece...*sniff* Yes, I know I sound flamey. Gimme a break, I haven't had milk yet.

naw you did fine in not flaming ^^;;; ah yeah they're getting close D: won't be long now... hopefully Avd films will fix sonicX :3

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
i always thought you had to be up the hill to go down-hill. i've never liked 4kids, ever since the first time i saw their logo.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Down hill? I never knew they were anywhere other than rock bottom. Pokemon was okay but virtually everything else they've touched is almost irrevocably destroyed. Most of their voice actors have no talent, the censorship in their dubs in excessive to the point of being xenophobic, and they change the subject material for the sole purpose of marketing to kids even if they aren't the most appropriate demographic for the show to begin with.

The only show they were involved with that didn't suck was the revived Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show and that's mostly because the show was produced and partly owned by Mirage. 4Shame didn't have nearly as much say in production of TMNT as their other properties.

PsYCHE

PsYCHE

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Down hill? I never knew they were anywhere other than rock bottom. Pokemon was okay but virtually everything else they've touched is almost irrevocably destroyed. Most of their voice actors have no talent, the censorship in their dubs in excessive to the point of being xenophobic, and they change the subject material for the sole purpose of marketing to kids even if they aren't the most appropriate demographic for the show to begin with.

The only show they were involved with that didn't suck was the revived Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show and that's mostly because the show was produced and partly owned by Mirage. 4Shame didn't have nearly as much say in production of TMNT as their other properties.

I am extremely disappoined in they're dubbing of Hoshi no Kaabii. (Kirby of the stars) they screwed it up, the only other thing recent they've done good is viva pinata. that's it... they've totally died in Anime. Hope they're happy ripping kids off with their new goal, "GET MONEYZ." >>;;;

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
of course you can't just get mad at 4kids for bad dubs, viz media is just as bad.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
The only good things they ever did was the original Pokemon dub, and the new TMNT (except for the new theme song). Everything else they do is the worst thing ever and Susan Blu should not be directing anybody's voice to do anything, because she is terrible.

Central Dogma

Central Dogma

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I personally never liked 'em. After they license a show it's so different that it's almost a whole new show. They know how to ruin Japanese-anime. There also good and not giving you choices.... (No subtitle DVD...)

There ruining of Sonic was the last straw for me and I haven't seen any new licensed shows from them sense. I also heard from a source that any show Nintendo makes they automatically have first dibs on it. o_O

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I flame them for fun. It's like a sport to me now. They suck super monkey balls anywayz.

Empa

Empa

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Robots, Megaman, Rocky Horror, Shadowcasts, Costumes/Costuming, Art, Cartoons, Pokemon, Videogames, Music, ect.
I have never been a big fan of 4kids. I DID enjoy Pokemon, though I have to say I think the newer dubbing company is doing a better job. 4Kids atleast got most of Pokemon dubbed decently.

As for anything else they've done, I can't say I've enjoyed much or at all. :/

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
</3 4Kids

Their dubbing makes my ears bleed.

Xenophobic censorship is xenophobic. (pirates drink rum, damnit! NOT FRUIT PUNCH! *rawrs*)

They just generally seem to ruin the anime they try to 'adapt for children'.

There are others who make mistakes, too. I dunno who did the dubbing for the Death Note anime, but it SUCKS. Ryuuk sounds like a normal human! DX

Deraj

Deraj

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Location:Some little spot of nowhere. No, not that spot. Some other spot.
You have to be on top of a hill to go down it. They started at the bottom and began to dig a ditch. American Voice Acting is a necesarry evil, and if it comes to it, I will actually become part of that evil. However, if it comes down to working for 4Kids and working at Walmart for the rest of my life, I have to say, Walmart has the upper hand.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

There are others who make mistakes, too. I dunno who did the dubbing for the Death Note anime, but it SUCKS. Ryuuk sounds like a normal human! DX

Those would be the Vancouver guys, maybe Ocean. I like the dub :rolleyes:

Dark Magician

Dark Magician

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Creative writing, drawing, video games, manga/anime, and astronomy. Writing more would probably take too much time.
If I were to put it into words, 4Kids (4Crap now) started off by coming up off of the ground, but now are even lower than the lowest stage of hell in Dante's Inferno. I think that I started hating them when they got to the Battle City Saga of Yu-Gi-Oh, where all scenes of pain and death such as having legs sawed off, plummeting from very high buildings, etc, were changed to "sending to the Shadow Realm." I even was willing to forgive the "deadly finger" dubs until they did that. However, it was all over after they butchered the Sonic Adventure 2 arc and One Piece, acts that I deem unforgivable.

So how did they go down hill in my opinion:

1. Even with a guideline showing them how to do it, 4Kids couldn't get it right (yes Sonic Adventure 2 reference).
2. Most (if not all) of the dubbing they do makes absolutely no sense (either the raw, any uncut website of a 4Kids anime, or Youtube's 4Kids' Worst Moments will show you what I mean).
3. The voice actors rarely have any life in their performances.
4. More often than not, the writing of the scripts alters the characters and the story... and not in a good way (e.g. Shaman King, Sonic X (yes I'm still mad over the "Maria was taken away" thing), and One Piece).
5. Their dubbing is so obvious that even someone who's completely new to the series can spot differences.

In my opinion, Pokemon was the only one that was dubbed in a decent manner... TMNT only came out correctly because Mirage had guns to the back of their heads.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
There's also things like thinking they know how today's kids act and what they like. Example: The way they make characters do puns and or rhymes all the time. Even when the scene's supposed to be serious. Argh!

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
The only thing that 4kids have done that I honestly like is Pokemon. They've really messed a lot up with other animes D8. I don't really like them a whole lot now... I use to not really think they're as bad as everyone says they are, but, they are pretty bad after looking over their stuff O_O.

Nellie Francis

Nellie Francis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
Just to let any and all One Piece fans know, FUNimation now has the reigns to the series.

I'm sure the same type of damage that 4Sissies has done won't be existant. I've seen a couple of episodes of Full Moon, an episode of Jigoku Shoujo, and they haven't edited the japanese text from the original Jap. version. Heck, practically the entirety of those said episodes were left without 4CensorPwns' unnecessary touching.* Save for voice acting.

*Then again, I haven't seen said original dubs either.. ^.^;;

-edit- Oh, yeah.. and me-thinks that any dub with at least one western-accented female with no cow-girl hint whatsoever is doomed to be horrible dub :)

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
I was willing to forgive 4Kids, even after Sonic X. Their success with Pokemon gave me many happy memories from a younger, more innocent stage of my life, and out of fond nostalgia, I was willing to let anything slide!

Then... this happened.

Now I take them about as seriously as a whoopee cushion.

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
Being a somewhat rabid One Piece fan, 4kids is to me....well, what can I say. That name is now considered one of the foulest curses in my household.

I seriously thought that they had damaged OP for good with that horrible excuse for a dub, but after watching some clips of FUNimation episodes I can let out a sigh of relief. Huzzah, it could be saved!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Now if only Funimation would do us the pleasure of dubbing the other hundred something episodes 4Shame ruined. To this day I still have no idea why the hell they would completely omit the Little Garden arc but leave Dragon Island arc in.That makes no sense at all.

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
From what I've heard they will, as soon as 4kids rights to the episodes they've already dubbed expires. Here's hoping, anyway.

Another thing I just couldn't handle apart from the extreeemeee censoring (rubber hammer gun, wtf?!) is the fact that they refused to release the original voices on the DVD release. Just the 4kids hackjob of a dub. *death*

Eternal

Eternal

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
4kids just has to like.... die.

No, seriously..

.....I'm not joking.

Edit: Ok I am. :D

Super edit: Ok, for my real opinion. 4kids should die.

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*
  • Guests
4Kids Entertainment should be named 4Crap Target Practice. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need my bazooka...

At least they did well enough for Yubel's dub voice... I'm so glad her card wasn't censored too badly. She's my favorite character, right up there with Dark Magician Girl.

Nyclone

Nyclone

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Interests:If I'm on a NiGHTS themed forum, than what do you think my interests are!? Aside from that: Video games, drawing, writing songs, acting like an idiot, listening to the same bloody songs over and over, My fanmaren, and dreams are about it. :D
Also sonicunderground was a huge rip off of sonic...

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*
  • Guests

Also sonicunderground was a huge rip off of sonic...

Actually, that I kind of liked. However, it was never finished, and that's what bothers me.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
I loved Sonic Underground. I thought it was one of the only things that 4Kids did right. I loved that series. I wish I had it. Does anyone have the DVD that they'd be willing to part with for $20?

Nyclone

Nyclone

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Interests:If I'm on a NiGHTS themed forum, than what do you think my interests are!? Aside from that: Video games, drawing, writing songs, acting like an idiot, listening to the same bloody songs over and over, My fanmaren, and dreams are about it. :D
I hated it because Sonic was in a band, Amy was his sister,There's a green dude,and It's just a spin-off of Sonic. By the way, does that mean, If Amy is in love with Sonic, Doesn't that mean she's in love with her brother?

Zoe

Zoe

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Dude, that wasn't Amy and "a green dude" - it was his sister and brother, Sonia and Manic. Granted, they're not canon to the SEGA Sonic storyline, but I still liked Sonic Underground. :) *makes a mental note to buy the rest of the series*

Anyway...back on topic, 4Kids = crap. I liked the original Pokemon dub and I like the TMNT dub, and I didn't mind the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub but they messed everything else up, in my opinion. D:

Nyclone

Nyclone

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
*Not to self: Watch series longer than five episodes before critizing* Got it! I barely even watch it anymore though,so my opinion shouldn't effect anyone...

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*
  • Guests
Well, if you're going to have an opinion about anything, at least know your facts first.

Nyclone

Nyclone

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
I really need to make "Got it!" My sigi...

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
No flames without reason, huh? *sucks in air* That's gonna be hard, for me, considering that 4Kids ruined all my hopes and dreams. I loved the Yu-Gi-Oh! series in the original Japanese, and even the uncut version.... But 4Kids ruined it. Ruined it. Ren't it to shreds and then fed it to rabid weasels, who would later regurgitate it into the filthy sewers where diseased rats could further soil it before it was flushed out to sea with the rest of the 4Kids filth.
*eye twitches spastically* YA HEAR THAT 4KIDS?! YA HEAR THAT? HOW DO YA LIKE THEM APPLES?! </spastic ranting>

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
I'm honestly neutral with 4Kids, probably dislike them more than I'm neutral, though. I feel sometimes people say they're so horrible just because everyone else does.

I don't watch a lot of their animes they dub, though, because they tackle stuff that doesn't interest me. I only saw Sonic X and Pokemon, and Sonic X wasn't that bad until they got to Season 2 (or is it 3? The one where they leave Earth and Cosmo is in it. ). And Pokemon was awesome until they started adding a lot more characters.

Lucky Star fandubs are worse, anyway, despite what some may claim.

Dark Magician

Dark Magician

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Creative writing, drawing, video games, manga/anime, and astronomy. Writing more would probably take too much time.

I loved Sonic Underground. I thought it was one of the only things that 4Kids did right. I loved that series. I wish I had it. Does anyone have the DVD that they'd be willing to part with for $20?

Actually, 4Kids can't really lay claim to doing the dubbing for Sonic Underground, literally meaning that Pokemon was one of the few good things they produced. The dubbing was actually done by DiC, who also covered Sonic Sat AM and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Back on topic, 4Kids started doing okay when they began with Pokemon, but the second that they saw that a popular cartoon= rapid fans= merchandise- $$$ and focused on quantity rather than quality, Light Yagami got his hands on the Death Note and the Pluto's Kiss event took place.

Ventro

Ventro

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, Role playing, Gaming, Writting, and Comic maker

I personally think because of their dubbings of SonicX , Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece that every anime fan hates them to the point of bashing them with flames in an annoying manner. D: My sister is annoyed by the rants due to the fact there is so many of them. I don't "flame" 4kids, however they've made a horrible mistake when they pushed off Pokemon like that, Pokemon was the only good dubbing they did... before they've become corrupted with money ><;;;

Actually I believe that they did some things wrong even during the time of pokemon. Even though it's not as evident as it is now back then. 4 kids had cut out some pokemon episodes due to what they think is the problem. Overall I believe 4 kids with the later anime made me want to hate anime, but there are other companies that did a really good job. Sometimes, I wish they worked on some of the anime instead of 4 kids especially sonic X.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
My biggest problem with 4Kids is the fact that they don't release the shows in their original format on DVD.

I used to complain about how Funimation censored Dragonball Z and how Dic censored Sailor Moon. However both of those shows have been released on DVD uncut with the Japanese soundtrack restored as an option. I doubt that will ever happen to Sonic X. I'll admit that Sonic X was not such an amazing show to begin with but 4Kids made it really painful. I'll assume everyone is familiar with the interview in which the 4Kids writer for Sonic X talks about having never played any of the games, read any of the comics, or seen any of the previous cartoon shows? PAIN!

I think they do a good job with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because that show is American to begin with and TMNT co-creator Peter Laird has been using his control to make sure they don't let things get too bad.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Down hill? When did they get up the hill? Its always been terrible. (Other animes to mention are Cardcaptors and Kirby)

There name says it all. They are making it to suit the needs of what America thinks is 'for kids'. So yeah.....its going to suck. That and they don't even put forth any effort into their voice actors. Then again...that tends to be a problem with most anime dubs.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

Actually, if what I've heard is right, 4kids didn't drop Pokemon (after all, who'd give up something that made that much money?), it was Pokemon Company USA that decided to take the show into their own hands now that they're established enough. I did like the 4kids voices more, probably it was because I was used to them. 8 seasons of the same voice actors, and then BOOM! suddenly they switch. Of course it's going to sound odd.

@ Ventro: I was annoyed by some of the cut-outs, too. It could get ridiculous at times. I mean, come on, an episode taken out just because Team Rocket purposely made Brock sick? Bad guys are supposed to do immoral things and be an example of what not to do. Kids aren't going to start trying to give people pneumonia because of that. Sometimes, though, it was best to take them out like in the Safari Zone episode's case. Guns were not appropriate for the 5-10 year old audience that was watching back then, even if plot-holes resulted from the cut.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Guns were not appropriate for the 5-10 year old audience that was watching back then, even if plot-holes resulted from the cut.

Oh yeah but the Bazookas and rocket launching machines are so much better....There logic is wonderful.

Speaking of cutting out episodes...didn't they cut out a lot of the Cardcaptor episodes due to certain couples or did I just miss a hell of a lot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users