Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How much do you think 4kids has gone down hill?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.

Speaking of cutting out episodes...didn't they cut out a lot of the Cardcaptor episodes due to certain couples or did I just miss a hell of a lot?

First of all, the Canadian company Nelvana was responsible for Cardcaptors, not 4kids. Other than that though, yeah, Cardcaptors eliminated any romantic subtext and tried to downplay the fact that Sakura was the star. The series started on the eighth episode just to immediately introduce Shaoron and the by the end of it, Cardcaptors was so heavily edited it wad only ran for 39 or so episodes as opposed to the 70 episodes of Cardaptor Sakura. An abomination to be sure, but not one of 4kids'.

As editing because something may not be "appropriate" for kids, like guns in Safari Zone, I think that's a total crock of s***. Let parents decide what's appropriate for their kids, not companies. To all companies who localise anime, I say please don't insult people's intelligence and maturity by assuming you know what's appropriate for them.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Oh gee I am brilliant. Sorry for the confusion. Its been a long time since I have seen it.

Well see they edit it because they don't want parents suing them. What the Japanese thinks is appropriate for their kids shows is very different from what the American parents think. (Though I have seen some pretty bad things in some of our American Kids shows. ) If they want to keep the stuff acceptable for kids then they have to edit it down quite a bit.

Though you are right. Parents should decide what they want to let their kids watch. Its called getting off your ass and seeing what your kids watch once in awhile. Try it parents. (Not like it matters. Kids will be influenced by far worse things at school.)

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Though you are right. Parents should decide what they want to let their kids watch. Its called getting off your ass and seeing what your kids watch once in awhile. Try it parents. (Not like it matters. Kids will be influenced by far worse things at school.)

EXACTLY. It's like:

Mom: You aren't allowed to listen to this CD! There are swears in it!
Kid: But mom! I hear more swears in 15 minutes at school!
Mom: I don't want to listen to your bullshit!
Kid: Uh... >_>

It's hilarious really. There are parents who want to shelter their kids like no tomorrow (my aunt wouldn't let her son play T rated games even when he was 16 years old) and they don't even analyze WHAT they're sheltering their kids from. It might not even be that bad!

But that's me speaking. My parents didn't shelter a single thing from me.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.

Well see they edit it because they don't want parents suing them. What the Japanese thinks is appropriate for their kids shows is very different from what the American parents think. (Though I have seen some pretty bad things in some of our American Kids shows. ) If they want to keep the stuff acceptable for kids then they have to edit it down quite a bit.

I'm of the mind that if something really needs to be edited that heavily just to be aired on TV, they shouldn't even be trying to put it on the air in the first place. A snip and a cut here and there is fine (Big O for example), but it shouldn't be so heavy handed to the point the subject material is changed. That's what 4kids does and that's why we hate them after all.

Agreed on all the sheltering stuff though. The hypocrisy is kind of depressing. When you think about it, language is kind of like a communicable disease in that once something new gets into the mix it has an uncanny knack of getting around before people realize it. Problem is, language is something everybody's got and it's always changing.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
4Kids started out fine (Earlt Pokemon was magnificent), but I believe that the many controversies surrounding the series (Who here REALLY thinks Jynx makes fun of African Americans? honestlt..) opened their eyes to the dark, cruel world of Political Correctness.

Originally, they only omitted episodess due to saftey concerns (the seizure-inducing "Electric Solider Porygon") but soon they went quite cut-crazy. Jumping ahesd to now, we have Hoshi no Kaabii (Kirby of the Stars), based on the videogame series of the same name. If you've ever played Kirby, you know that it's about a pik puffball's experiences in a kingdom ruled by a giant blue penguin. 4Kids has dubbed this series terribly (random accents and name changes abound), and even deleted an episode because, in one scene, a weird robot-looking guy whips a chibi elephant. Ridiculous. Read more about the changes at kirby's rainbow resort.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users