Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS, Reala, and Jackle cosplay.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
Well! Me, VERTiGO, and Emi(friend of mine who's joining the forums soon) have decided that we're going to cosplay as some NiD characters at AFO next year! >w<

iNSOMNiAC - Reala
VERTiGO - Jackle
Emi - NiGHTS(maybe)

My mom's gunna help me find a good tailor to help me with my Reala cosplay, hopefully. What I need are suggestions for what fabrics I outta use and stuff. Not only for Reala, but for NiGHTS and Jackle as well. ^^ Please and thank you~!

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
I suggest taking a first look here. It's mostly basic stuff (not everything's up) but it's a start :3

LUMiNATiON

LUMiNATiON

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
And Emi, a friend who just joined the forums. XP

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
*revives dead thread* Ok guys, me and LUMi need to get started on this!

What we need:

Material Suggestions

Patterns

Sewing tips

LUMi's browsing the Cosplay section and taking notes right now. Help us out guys, we've never hand-made costumes before! XD

LadyTwinkle

LadyTwinkle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Designing, theatrical makeup, painting, costume creation, sewing, 80's animation, comic books, Traveling abroad. And of course NiGHTS!
What we need:

Material Suggestions

Patterns

Sewing tips

I suggest a cotton blend stretch nylon. It drapes better comes in a variety of shades and runs through most machines like butter. Use a ball point needle when sewing stretch nylon. I suggest stretchhouse.com for the fabric, they have consistent colors, great quality, and will be happy to send "swatches" or samples of the fabrics so you can see them up close before you commit to buy.

As for patterns, if you are new to sewing, I suggest altering an existing simplicity pattern. if not then may I recommend this pattern:

Posted Image

it is a green pepper racing suit pattern you can easily find it at any Jo-anns fabric store or fabric outlet.http://www.thegreenpepper.com/adults.html

Sewing tips:

My first and always tip is this. MAKE a mockup costume first! get some cheap fabric, and make the entire costume simplified first. try it on, see what trouble you come across, and make notes. This sample costume will a) save you tearing your hair out when you make mistakes, :D help you figure out how to tackle your project. c) help you know EXACTLy how much fabric you will need.

as for a tailor, don't. try to do it yourself. tailors are very expensive, and not very relaible for cos-play. besides there is a pride and joy associated with the creation of your own work. you will see. :P

if you run into any problems, please PM me, or post questions online. I as well as others will be happy to help.

:blink:\

have fun!

Xenon

Xenon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Automotive, Anime, Video Games in general, Drawing, Driving, Bowling, Snowboarding, other such funstuffs ^.^
If you're looking for material suggestions, may I suggest using a relatively inexpensive form of velvet for the vests/tailcoats? That's what I'm using currently, and It's working phenomenally. My only caution to you is that if you're going to use velvet of any kind, make SURE you sew correctly the first time, because removing stitches from velvet ruins the fabric, unless you're very proficient. The wrist cuffs for all three costumes can be made using a fine felt, if that's any help.

If you need anything else, just PM me or ask me on my cosplay thread. I'll be more than happy to help as much as I can.

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
After you've made a mockup if you're doing it, sometimes it can be best to avoid really shiny fabric unless it's explicitly like that in the design. It's not very flattering. Also, if you're actually making the full on body suit and you're doing it in a stretchy fabric (which I assume you would else you're going to have to get zips in somewhere) make sure it's sewn really well else it might pull on the stitches.

For N+R, I don't what your figures are like, but it might be a good excuse to work out as well, cause the better shape you're on, the better those costumes will look.

I'm not sure how you'd like to do Jackle, what with the whole invisible body thing, but I would make the cape big and wire it to give it shape and support (You should be able to buy long rolls of stiff wire from a hardware store), and then make the clothes for the body out of the same material as the side of the cape closest to the body. If you give the cape a lot of shape and weight, like have it stick up from the shoulders or whatever, or 'float' above the ground, you may need to build it into a harness to keep it up (Which isn't really very hard to do) but if you get the length right or don't mind it getting on the floor it'll be fine. You're gonna wanna make it BIG though. I'd advise making out of panels sewn together rather than trying to find a single piece that's big enough.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Always always giving your costume a lining if you're using thin material. It makes it hang with the proper weight.

Also thimbles are your friends.

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have such an urge to create some cosplay stuff... I can't do a full costumes but I can certainly do peices such as NiGHTS gems or pewter works.

If anyone has any questions relating to non-sewing stuff feel free to ask away~

LadyTwinkle

LadyTwinkle

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Designing, theatrical makeup, painting, costume creation, sewing, 80's animation, comic books, Traveling abroad. And of course NiGHTS!

If you're looking for material suggestions, may I suggest using a relatively inexpensive form of velvet for the vests/tailcoats? That's what I'm using currently, and It's working phenomenally. My only caution to you is that if you're going to use velvet of any kind, make SURE you sew correctly the first time, because removing stitches from velvet ruins the fabric, unless you're very proficient. The wrist cuffs for all three costumes can be made using a fine felt, if that's any help.

* Also with Velvet, check the napp and grain,
the napp of velvet changes color when contrasting nap is against it! Velvet is very hot and heavy, so avoid using it in the bodysuit part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users