Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

howl's moving castle and castle in the air

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
most of you have probably seen miyazaki's howl's moving castle, but have you read the book? or it's loose sequal castle in the air?

i was surprised to find that many fans of the movie didn't know it was based on a book, sad isn't it. anyways, the book is totally completely, eight thousand times better than the movie. there's no war in it, and instead of not really having a villain, the witch of the waste is the villain. there is no mrs. sulliman, but there is a wizard sulliman. i think miyazaki kind of fused wizard sulliman and another character in the book, mrs. pentstemmon, together to make mrs. sulliman. sophie also has a second sister named martha(whom i like better than lettie) and her sisters play a more important role in the book. i can't really tell much more without spoiling it for those who haven't read it.

castle in the air is also extremely good. i'm still reading it, so i'm not sure how it's a sequal but i'm sure it'll be cleared up in no time. this one is about a boy named abdullah from a country far south of ingary(where howl's moving castle takes place). abdullah is a carpet trader and he gets a magic carpet very early on in the story. the magic carpet takes him(in his sleep) to a palace where he falls in love with a princess, and she falls in love with him. they plan to elope, but a djinn comes and steals her away. then abdullah goes to rescue her and that's the story. my sister read this before me and insists that the cover which says "sequal to howl's moving castle" is correct and that howl and sophie are indeed in the story. as i'm about halfway through and they are nowhere to be seen, i am saddened.

and don't expect these to be literary masterpieces, they're just good stories.

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
THANK YOU! It's nice to see people who have read the book. And yes, it IS much better than the film version.
I also have the sequel, but I have yet to read it...

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
and calcifer is so much cooler in the book than he is in the movie "may all your bacon burn!" , wait, that's in the movie too. oh well it's my favourite quote. and i love the "*name* expresses his/her feelings with *item*" chapters. so wonderfully wonderful. i finished castle in the air today and was relieved to find howl and sophie in it, along with lettie, sulliman, and calcifer. micheal's not actually in it, but howl mentions where he is on one occasion.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime & manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Aaagh! Color me one of the under-educated... I had no ideya about the book! >_< Is it easily found in stores? Or would I be better off searching online? I looooove the movie, but to read the book would be fantastic!

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
i got them online, i couldn't find them in any local bookstores. including books a million and barnes and nobles.

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I actually bought my copy at Barnes & Noble, but my friend sold me her copy of Castle in the Air.

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I read the book not long after I saw the film, I'd always known it was based on a book. I did actually slightly prefer the film but I adore the book as well, it's different but still similar. I keep meaning to read Castle in the Air as well (I accidentally spoiled parts of it including the end for myself though, argh). I love the description of calcifer in the book and for some reason I prefer book!Micheal. And I liked the subplot thing with her sisters. It's shame they didn't put that in =\

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
i actually prefer calcifer's design in the movie better, though he looks more like he's supposed to when they change the castle. i like how at the end of howl's moving castle, everyone just kind of shows up. howl says he invited them, but it's still mighty coincidental that the fire demon lady and the whole ordeal with the witch happened at the same time.

Lupilha

Lupilha

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I had a hard time finding the book for my sister, I had to order it on Amazon before Borders brought just two copies, but I also got the sequel, yet to read that one. While I love Miyazaki's works, the book is so entirely different from the movie, quite possibly better. Though I don't remember it entirely right now but that just means I must re-read it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users