Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"The Pan and the Night" - NiGHTS and Beyond the Dream fanart

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ashashi

Ashashi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Internet, Computers, Anime, Video Games, Sonic, NiGHTS, Internet, Dreams, School, Drawing, Singing, DDR, 3D Video Game Modeling/Game Design
Posted Image

NiGHTS © to you know know XD
' Pan ', as I call him © Marissa Delbressine

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2949 posts
That's nice, I think they'd be good friends :P

Ashashi

Ashashi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Internet, Computers, Anime, Video Games, Sonic, NiGHTS, Internet, Dreams, School, Drawing, Singing, DDR, 3D Video Game Modeling/Game Design

That's nice, I think they'd be good friends :P

Yeah, I think so too ^^

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
Oooo what a beautiful drawing. :P <3's~~ You did a great job.~

KittyWhiggles

KittyWhiggles

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
This is Nice. I love Marissa's character design. I really like "glowy in the dark" things ^^

Ashashi

Ashashi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Oooo what a beautiful drawing. ^_^ <3's~~ You did a great job.~

Thank you ^^

This is Nice. I love Marissa's character design. I really like "glowy in the dark" things ^^

Thank you~

Ealynn

Ealynn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:I'm a freelance comic book artist and animator with a passion for storytelling. I love myths and legends and have a fondness of old animated children's tv shows and retro & indie games.
Waiii! My first fan-art of BtW ^_^ *hugs you*

Jester looks so nice and I like his pose and the way he holds the moon umbrella (but feel free to indulge more on the glowing effect! I like him shiny!) - I still call him jester, as I hadn't thought of a name for him (I called the boy Jonathan in the beginning as the movie would have featured dialogue at first), but Pan's actually a nice one! I think it's really fitting with the interpretation of Peter Pan being the spirit guide to neverland/land of the dead because he comes to fly the children who have been left alone in the park for seven days to the neverlands, Pan's symbol being a star shooting to the heavens. Also with Pan's labyrinth and the Pan in classical myths, the pan creature is neither really good or bad, he just is.
In my first designs, Jester/Pan would have been more 'fairy'/changeling like in the interpretation of not really good or evil, but playful and filled with trickery by actually luring the boy out of the window to make him see the falling star he so desperately wants to see, where the boy became the falling star himself. Then he moved to being an interpretation of death, then he became the embodiment of the boys imagination, which takes on a more gentle and caring form. ^_^

Yeah.. NiGHTS and him would definately be best friends!

Ashashi

Ashashi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Waiii! My first fan-art of BtW ^_^ *hugs you*

Jester looks so nice and I like his pose and the way he holds the moon umbrella (but feel free to indulge more on the glowing effect! I like him shiny!) - I still call him jester, as I hadn't thought of a name for him (I called the boy Jonathan in the beginning as the movie would have featured dialogue at first), but Pan's actually a nice one! I think it's really fitting with the interpretation of Peter Pan being the spirit guide to neverland/land of the dead because he comes to fly the children who have been left alone in the park for seven days to the neverlands, Pan's symbol being a star shooting to the heavens. Also with Pan's labyrinth and the Pan in classical myths, the pan creature is neither really good or bad, he just is.
In my first designs, Jester/Pan would have been more 'fairy'/changeling like in the interpretation of not really good or evil, but playful and filled with trickery by actually luring the boy out of the window to make him see the falling star he so desperately wants to see, where the boy became the falling star himself. Then he moved to being an interpretation of death, then he became the embodiment of the boys imagination, which takes on a more gentle and caring form. ^_^

Yeah.. NiGHTS and him would definately be best friends!

*hugs back* ^^ I sorta thought at the end it was an interpretation of Jonathan dying 'cause he wasn't in his wheelchair in the end and the big bright flash of white light with his silhouette smiling real happily. :3 glad you like the nickname I gave him and I never knew Peter Pan was like... a version of the Angel of Death o.o That's a real new one, and I think the idea is really interesting :3 I felt sorta sad though 'cause of how they lost connection, Pan and Jonathan I mean ;.; Poor thing was left to fall all on his own, but he still seemed happy so its okay ^^ A friend of mine sees Pan and NiGHTS as the same being, just seen in two totally different ways which I thought was a nice way of looking at it, but I myself see the two as totally separate beings: One intended for guidance through dreams and nightmares, the other perhaps to grant a person's wish or to guide them peacefully to rest.

And I have a feeling if NiGHTS and Pan ever met up they'd have too much fun together XD lol

Ealynn

Ealynn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:I'm a freelance comic book artist and animator with a passion for storytelling. I love myths and legends and have a fondness of old animated children's tv shows and retro & indie games.
You should read Peter Pan and / or some articles about it then, it's a really interesting concept and a new way of looking at the peter pan story. I own Peter Pan on dvd, the recent liveaction movie from 2004 and it's magical and follows the original book very closely. Though not ephasizing on an angel of death interpretation, they take the it's all your imagination/dreamlike perspective on the tale, which is very interesting to watch in a cinematographic way. Everywhere when they go to the neverlands you see hints of the children's room around them. The room has clouds painted on the ceiling and when they start flying for the first time, it seems like it stretches out to infinity. When flying in Neverland, you see the same clouds! When seeing Wendy lie on the ground, it feels as if she could just have been lying in her bed with the way the leaves are scattered and more things like that. Perhaps the children never even left the room.

I think I see Pan as the embodiment of longing and imagination, he forms from an intense desire and comes only to those who can believe in miracles. In that way he is perhaps a personification of a shooting star, granting the desire of the wisher. When believe fades, he fades as what happened with Jonathan. That makes Pan parallel to the flying principle of peter pan, think happy thoughts to lift you up in the air, when they're gone, you fall. Jonathan however realized it was only his imagination and when falling chose to die with that flash of freedom instead of having to return to a life of restriction. Once he tasted the freedom, he just couldn't go back anymore.
You could interpret that everything happened inside his mind and that afterwards he has thrown himself out of the window, or that in his dreamlike make believe he did all the actions in reality, making him fall out of the window by accident not knowing that it was only imagination until he hit the ground, or you can see the Pan as a real character that manifested before him because of Jonathan's belief and longing. When the link of that belief faded, they lost the connection and reality set in, causing Jonathan to fall in the real world. Realising what has happened Jonathan finds peace with having experienced his dearest wish granted. Maybe all of these are true.
I do think that Pan and NiGHTS could be related to eachother, though myself I don't see them being the same person. NiGHTS comes from the realm of dreams (good and bad), Pan would come from a different but linked realm of imagination, make-believe, desires, wishes and longing. These are principles connected very closely to a different interpretation of the word 'dream'. But it's really interesting to go think up the entire world behind all of this :blink:

But even I'm not always sure what I believe about this story :P it's very hard to point my finger on storypoints and say, that happened, because it shapes to what I believe, it may sound a bit strange, as I created it, but it feels like it came from very far when I was making it. I've heard many interpretations of my story, and I like it that it enables people to really see in it what they want to see. That's pan's magic, afteral ^_^

Ashashi

Ashashi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
I've seen some Peter Pan things, like the Disney version and "Hook" with Robin Williams but the live action one sounds awesome, I shall have to look at that sometime and research sommore info on the Pan itself :3

So Pan is an embodiment of longing and imagination and comes to those who believe in miracles? I like that ^^ moreso than the Angel of Death concept because even though death can be a very peaceful closure, I don't like it very much XD; And learning that Jonathan realized Pan was his imagination lets me understand why Pan rippled away. Though I understand why Jonathan chose to die. I've seen how people in wheelchairs look when they know they can't walk anymore, its really sad and as you said, he didn't want to go back to a life of restriction.

I dunno how I imagine what happens to Jonathan in the end. Everything you said is entirely possible, but when I saw the end I thought that after the flash of light, he died after finding peace and while doing so he fell out of his chair alerting someone from the noise of him hitting the ground. They came in and took his body away, leaving his wheelchair in place and his shooting star falling from the sky.

As for Pan and NiGHTS~ I think that the world they live in are parallel to each other, as they are. NiGHTS' world being for actual dreams of people imagining their futures or their own little worlds and dreamscapes while Pan's world is for those who make wishes on stars, birthday candles, dandelion puffballs and so on and so forth. But if someone wished to have a certain dream~ that would perhaps draw both NiGHTS and Pan to that person, Pan granting the wish and NiGHTS letting the dream happen ^^

And I don't think its weird that you yourself don't have a solid interpretation for BtW, :3 just shows your imagination can go far. And it shows that Pan's magic works with you too :3

Ealynn

Ealynn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hahaha, true indeed :blink: I like that concept of Pan being of the world that grants wishes - wishing upon a star, dandelion puffs and all, that's exactly how I would put it!

Ah, I was making a sketch for a dual drawing of them :P I'll go open a thread! (don't want to hijack yours ^_^ )

Ashashi

Ashashi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Hahaha, true indeed :D I like that concept of Pan being of the world that grants wishes - wishing upon a star, dandelion puffs and all, that's exactly how I would put it!

Ah, I was making a sketch for a dual drawing of them ^_^ I'll go open a thread! (don't want to hijack yours :P )

I saw :3 I love the pic so far! I cant wait till its done ^^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users