Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Saturn Talk

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Hey. Because the Saturn has been a pivotal part of all our lives (NiGHTS came out on the Saturn, duh), I thought it might be cool to give the console a little love on the forums.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
When I had my Saturn 11 years ago all I had were samplers. I was very poor. However I do remember Bug and I really liked it. There was also this Robot fighting game but I can't remember what it was called. It was really fun too. Oh and I loved playing Vitural Fighter 2 and Virtural Fighter 2 Kids. Those were really fun. Back in the day I didn't care about graphics, just what I could play and what was fun.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

When I had my Saturn 11 years ago all I had were samplers. I was very poor. However I do remember Bug and I really liked it. There was also this Robot fighting game but I can't remember what it was called. It was really fun too. Oh and I loved playing Vitural Fighter 2 and Virtural Fighter 2 Kids. Those were really fun. Back in the day I didn't care about graphics, just what I could play and what was fun.

Same here. I got my Saturn a bit later, so I acutally got real games included, like Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, and Virtua Cop. Poor Sega. It was such a good console, but stupid PSX and N64 ruined it. Plus, Sega's retarded advertising and the whole release date fiasco just messed it all up. Can you imagine what today would be like if Sega hadn't had a lapse in judgement?

AirMax

AirMax

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:school-survival.net, NiD, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, anime, awesome, scoreattack.net
I only got mine last year, I had to get NiGHTS seperatly. In fact, I took my cousin's Saturn, but he ended up not minding. Only other game I got is Blazing Dragons, which is really fun.
"For Camelhot!"
"Who?"

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
As a kid no one told me what ugly graphics was so I seriously thought ALL graphics were amazing. My cousin had a Saturn well he still does and I used to love playing it. One odd thing though is that I played Christmas NiGHTS over a persons house I thought I could trust back around 99 or 2000 when I was like 10 or something (can't remember the year) Just found out dude was a child molester last year and I'm just glad he never touched me. But I give props to that child molester just because he had NiGHTS. Then again maybe he had games to lure kids into his house. Well screw it he's in jail now for murder.

Well anyway I just wish the Saturn lived longer and more people knew about it.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.

There was also this Robot fighting game but I can't remember what it was called. It was really fun too.

I'd bet cash that you're talking about Virtual On: Operation Moongate. I love that game and it's sequel. They were especially awesome with the twinsticks. By the way, if you still have the disc, you can stick it in a CD player and listen to that super happy music.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

I'd bet cash that you're talking about Virtual On: Operation Moongate. I love that game and it's sequel. They were especially awesome with the twinsticks. By the way, if you still have the disc, you can stick it in a CD player and listen to that super happy music.

Never played it, but it sounds good. Whats it all about?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
NiGHTS, Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon, the Capcom fighting games.. the Saturn was definitely a console for me. I hate how Sega messed up with the hardware.. they could have fixed the issue so developers would be more attracted to it.. and the Saturn lasted so much longer in Japan than in the states. I hate how X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Street Fighter never ported domestically. I bought the import versions and an ST key to play them, and recently I couldn't get it to work right again.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Don't you sometimes wish you could just go back in time and fix all the mistakes Sega made with the Saturn? Imagine where Sega would be today if that happened.

But, then again, it wouldn't feel like a Sega if someone went and did that.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Don't you sometimes wish you could just go back in time and fix all the mistakes Sega made with the Saturn? Imagine where Sega would be today if that happened.

But, then again, it wouldn't feel like a Sega if someone went and did that.

Then we might have 4 systems to try and buy and NiGHTS wouldn't be on the Wii. I kinda like it the way it is. Truthfully I wish there was only one or two systems...but then that would be a monapoly and we are not allowed to have that.

Also, the game I was talking about was Virtual On. Submas13 that is a Robot fighting game. Basically you got a choice between several different types of robots and you had them fight. It had a lot more elements to it than what I just said though. Being the little girl I was I always picked the pink robot and thought it was fun shooting lazer hearts at the enemy. But I always did better with the main Robot character there. (Kinda like how I always kicked everyone's butt with Scorpion more than with Katana. I get mad when they make the female characters weaker. But hey are usually really fast.)

Wait...was Mortal Combat 3 on the Sega Saturn? I could have sworn I had that game.

I also forgot Daytona USA and it was then I found out that I stink at racing game. lol

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
So its almost like those Godzilla video games where he fights monsters, except its with giant robots....

KICKASS!!!!! Finally a good robot fighting game! I can't believe I haven't heard of it till now! :huh:

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

So its almost like those Godzilla video games where he fights monsters, except its with giant robots....

KICKASS!!!!! Finally a good robot fighting game! I can't believe I haven't heard of it till now! :huh:

Yes it was pretty good. Its worth a pretty penny even now actually. Thats the only reason I haven't bought it yet.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
You'd think with how bad the Saturn did, the prices for Saturn games would be cheaper....

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

You'd think with how bad the Saturn did, the prices for Saturn games would be cheaper....

Its about suppy, demand, and rarity. Anyone who has a Saturn usually want to buy that game. So I guess that is why its so expensive. But its not super expensive. It was a long time ago when I check. But I remember it being more expensive than NiGHTS. Also...am I the only one that remembers Bug? It was a really weird game but for some reason I really enjoyed it. I guess thats also why I like NiGHTS. I'm not narrowminded.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
I'm actually looking into getting Bug.

I checked a little while ago on Ebay and saw a factory-sealed copy of NiGHTS with 3D controller, and it was selling at around $100. So NiGHTS is still pretty famous for a Saturn game.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

I'm actually looking into getting Bug.

I checked a little while ago on Ebay and saw a factory-sealed copy of NiGHTS with 3D controller, and it was selling at around $100. So NiGHTS is still pretty famous for a Saturn game.

Thats just someone really overpricing it. I got the game alone for $12. YOu can get it with the controller for $20.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

Thats just someone really overpricing it. I got the game alone for $12. YOu can get it with the controller for $20.

Its not overpricing because its an auction...

Anyone a Clockwork Knights fan?

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

... I got the game alone for $12. ...

I got the game alone with the booklet for $5 at a local game store that is now out of business... (Had I gone way earlier I could of gotten the paddle and game for $15.)

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
You should never have to pay more than 40 dollars for NiGHTS, unless it's factory sealed. Honestly, the only Saturn games that should ever get into the triple digits are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun, and Dragon Force.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Its not overpricing because its an auction...

OMG! I just now remembered that game. I played it on a Sampler and yes I loved it. Actually most games I played were samplers, even NiGHTS. When I had my Saturn 11 years ago the only normal games I had were Virtual Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Sonic 3D Blast, and I think Mortal Combat 3. Oh and Christmas NiGHTS which is always a sampler anyway but still counts as the real game. (I am still mad that my Aunts husband took it and sold it to get drugs. >.< )

There were so many games I wanted back in the day and that was one of them. This is the game where your a little toy character right?

Also, Panzer shift...all the games you just said I never heard of. I guess they must have been rare, or I was too young to know everygame that was out at the Saturn at the time. The only games I knew about were the ones that came on my samplers. :)

Also, I think I know what Auction your talking about. I saw it too and it was for the "Not For Resale" version of NiGHTS. Evidently thats worth money...however I could care less sense it still plays the same either way.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
I have Clockwork knight on my Saturn. It doesn't work though, it was scratched and I think I scratched it up even more trying to clean it. So it doesn't work at all!

I love that game so much though i've only played a sample of it on my cousin's Saturn when I was six. I also want the sequel.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
I had a Saturn since around the time it came out. Parents got it for us as a gift x3.

I had 'Virtua Fighter 2', 'Virtual Cop', and 'Daytona USA' because they came for free. I also happened to get a Sampler of NiGHTS Into Dreams, and we liked it, so we got the full version later. I also have a lot of over awesome games for it.

If you get a Saturn, it's MANDATORY to pick up.:

-NiGHTS Into Dreams
-Christmas NiGHTS
-Clockwork Knight
-Clockwork Knight 2

THOSE GAMES ARE AWESOME 8D! And very much a part of mah childhood :3.

OH

MY

f*!*ing

GOD

YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!

I love Clockword Knight ^________^! Major part of mah childhood. Imma still scared of the Game Over screen XDDDDDDD;; . >_> I still can't remember the main character's name though >_<. I don't know any of their's, because A.) It's been a long time since I've played and B.) I was real young anyway.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Now that I think about it, I used to have nightmares of the gameover screen from Clockwork Knight. I could always imagine the knight getting turned into scrap metal....

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

Now that I think about it, I used to have nightmares of the gameover screen from Clockwork Knight. I could always imagine the knight getting turned into scrap metal....

Well, the problem with me was, I didn't realize the game over icon was a picture of the knight upside-down. I thought it was something else... so... I was horribly scared of it D8!

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I got my Saturn 10 years ago on my birthday. It came with sample discs for Christmas NiGHTS, Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Cop. We loved Christmas NiGHTS so much my friends and I would draw a bunch of pictures of NiGHTS and tack them on my walls. We didn't even know there was a full version of NiGHTS until I saw it at Blockbuster. Just image playing only Spring Valley months on end until you found out there was a full version with levels you never seen or bosses you never met. I had to know what I was missing! Eventually my parents bought the game for me and the rest is history. Monumental history.

Later on I got Sonic R for Christmas. I liked it as a kid but only for the novelty that it was a Sonic racing game. The best part was unlocking the hidden characters: Robotnik, Metal Sonic, Tails Doll, Metal Knuckles, Egg-Robo and Super Sonic. I kept playing the game hoping there was more characters, but alas. I kept exploring the courses until I put the game away. Then the Dreamcast came out along with Sonic Adventure and I was done with the Saturn.

Fast forward to 2005. Out of the depression of Sonic Team's recent failures (Billy Hatcher, Astro Boy, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog), I became nostalgic for the Sonic Team of time's past. My Saturn was long defunct due to a lack of care and it was time I got a new one. So one day I took a visit to the flea market and bought one. It was used, but it looked very clean and functional so I took it home. I hooked it up, put in my old NiGHTS disc and, eureka, it worked! I finally got to play NiGHTS again. I had forgotten the sweet sensation of flying around as NiGHTS, flying through loops, scoring link combos, drill dashing, paralooping, and exploring the world of Nightopia. This sensation was heightened by understanding how the flight and control mechanics worked.

So I've had my new Saturn for two years now and I've enjoyed NiGHTS ever since. I even bought Astal for it early this year. Just a few days ago I revisited the flea market and bought the 3D control pad and it came with a brand new copy of NiGHTS. My old NiGHTS disc was scratched up so that was a major bonus. I'm enjoying my 3D controller but the analog stick seems a little loose. I wonder if I can fix that. Nonetheless, I still play my Saturn even today thanks to NiGHTS and that nifty controller. My anticipation for JoD also helps.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
I got my Saturn when I was around 7 or 8. I was a Christmas present from my parents, who thought it was about time I had my own game console. Secretly, until Christmas Eve, my dad would play every night with it while the rest of us slept. :lol: When I first got it, I played pretty much for a week straight. It came with the bonus cd's, plus the full versions of Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2, and Daytona USA. It also came with a small sampler disc of my favorite Saturn game, NiGHTS into Dreams. After playing NiGHTS for god knows how long, I finally convinced my dad to let me buy it.

Ever since I got my Saturn, it has been the most sentimental object to me in my whole house. I've had the same one for over a decade, and I can remember some great memories around it, especially ones that include a purple dream creature that could fly....

sharky

sharky

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:SEGA Games/Consoles.
Panzer Dragoon Series.. what godly games..

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
PEPPEROUCHAU!! That's the Clockwork Knight's name! 8D Dear lord, how I adored it.. now I've gotta find it!

Saturn wasn't the first system I owned, but NiGHTS made it the first system I absolutely adored and still do today! Sure, maybe they will figure a way to upload Saturn games to the Wii VC, but it wouldn't be the same. NiGHTS and Bug! were early favorites - poor little Bug'd get skooshed so often when I played.. XD

Then came Panzer Dragoon, Clockwork Knight 1 and 2, Astal (GORGEOUS MUCH LOVE YES), Sonic Jam, Sonic R, Guardian Heroes, and a few others I can't really remember... oh, Blazing Dragons was hilarious fun! And has anyone played mr. Bones besides me? Challenging platformer, but so much fun, and such awesome music!

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

PEPPEROUCHAU!! That's the Clockwork Knight's name! 8D Dear lord, how I adored it.. now I've gotta find it!

Saturn wasn't the first system I owned, but NiGHTS made it the first system I absolutely adored and still do today! Sure, maybe they will figure a way to upload Saturn games to the Wii VC, but it wouldn't be the same. NiGHTS and Bug! were early favorites - poor little Bug'd get skooshed so often when I played.. XD

Then came Panzer Dragoon, Clockwork Knight 1 and 2, Astal (GORGEOUS MUCH LOVE YES), Sonic Jam, Sonic R, Guardian Heroes, and a few others I can't really remember... oh, Blazing Dragons was hilarious fun! And has anyone played mr. Bones besides me? Challenging platformer, but so much fun, and such awesome music!

I'm trying to get Mr. Bones.

Tango

Tango

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
I haven't had a Saturn for long, though Guardian Heroes is probably my favorite game ever. Street Fighter Alpha games and Capcom+Marvel fighting games are awesome too.

Ren_the_Rose

Ren_the_Rose

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
NiGHTS and Astal were my favorite games. Bug! was always so hard! >__<

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

NiGHTS and Astal were my favorite games. Bug! was always so hard! >__<

I heard Astal got good reviews. I'll have to check it out.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
I have Astal. Beautiful game but it's rather difficult. I have bad memories of the Sea of Clouds and I only played the game just recently. >_< Other than that, a delight for retro SEGA platformer fans alike.

Ealynn

Ealynn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:I'm a freelance comic book artist and animator with a passion for storytelling. I love myths and legends and have a fondness of old animated children's tv shows and retro & indie games.
My most loved Saturn games are:
Panzer Dragoon Saga, NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, and Shining Force 3 - I played those over and over again. I recently managed to get Christmas NiGHTS, so I enjoyed that one, too! I really hope now for a sequel to Burning Rangers. It was a unique game with an original concept, fab gameplay, cool characters, good music and short anime scenes in between.

I enjoyed Clockwork Knight in the beginning, but other games came that were more up my alley. It was with Bug I think the two first games I had on the system and Bug frustrated me because it was one of the few games I never got completed. I never got passed some point in the final level. Argh.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
I'm pretty good at Virtua Cop and Virtua Cop 2. Usually I can get at least 90% accuracy with maybe only one citizen hit in each level.

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Running (Cross Country), video games (especially NiGHTS, of course), and other various things.
Clockwork Knight, Blazing Dragons, and (here's one nobody seems to know of) Blazing Heroes.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
I wonder. Do a lot of you have Japanese versions of any Saturn game? If so, did anyone ever get Silhouette Mirage on the Saturn? I didn't, but I wonder if anyone else did.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Import games are hard to find around where I live. Besides, I prolly wouldn't understand anything in them.

Dead Pixel

Dead Pixel

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
DOOT DO DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DO DOOT DOOOOO!!!!!! DAAAAAYTOOONAAAA! LET'S GO AWAY! (let's go away)

worst soundtrack ever.

...Also, I have Silhouette Mirage for the PSX, and it's a great game. If you like Gunstar Heroes, or Megaman, or good platformers in general, it's worthwhile.

Back to the Saturn games, Dark Savior is good if you liked Landstalker on the Genesis, and if you didn't then you have bad taste. Legend of Oasis rocks, again, if you liked Beyond Oasis on the Genesis, because it's basically an improved version. And the Panzer Dragoon series is wonderful.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

DOOT DO DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DO DOOT DOOOOO!!!!!! DAAAAAYTOOONAAAA! LET'S GO AWAY! (let's go away)

worst soundtrack ever.

...Also, I have Silhouette Mirage for the PSX, and it's a great game. If you like Gunstar Heroes, or Megaman, or good platformers in general, it's worthwhile.

Back to the Saturn games, Dark Savior is good if you liked Landstalker on the Genesis, and if you didn't then you have bad taste. Legend of Oasis rocks, again, if you liked Beyond Oasis on the Genesis, because it's basically an improved version. And the Panzer Dragoon series is wonderful.

HAHAHAHA! Yes it has bad music. :)

Nice to see someone with Silhouette Mirage. I just got my boyfriend to beat all five paths so now I can put it on a mode I can actually play on. However, for some strange reason which I think involves beating Edo, I can no longer have any continues. ;_; I really want the Sega Saturn version of Silhouette Mirage just for collection purposes. But its a bit expensive. Maybe one day...maybe....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users