Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tomb Raider 9

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...
When I got my Saturn (around 2000-ish), two of the games that came with it were NiGHTS and the first TR game (which is amazing). I've become a fan of the two franchises. Well... to some extent.
Allow me to explain...

The first 4 TR games are amazing. Bloody great gameplay - challenging, non-linear, scary moments, not enough medipacks...
And then it started to slip.

Underworld and Legend represent one of the most pitiful excuses at making money off a successful game series.

Now, Crystal Dynamics has decided to reboot the series, and from what I've been gathering for the past couple years or so, it's finally going to be good, again. They're putting a lot more attention to details and trying to make the fans happy again (M for Mature shows something cool).

They launched a trailer, too. It's pretty.

The game is a prequel to the original game. 21 year-old Lara Croft has finished college. Basically she has to survive on her own, without fancy tech or anything like that.

It looks to be a raw back-to-roots kind of thing. Everything seems to point in that direction, and CD has finally got me excited. Once more.

Thoughts?

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I've never been a Tomb Raider fan, to be honest. I've only played the original game on the Saturn, but it left me unsatisfied. I remember slogging through levels, having an awkward time climbing through weird mazes with no music. When there was music, it was exciting and effectively psyched me up for whatever was going to happen, but there wasn't enough to keep me interested. Furthermore, some of the jumping/climbing puzzles were REALLY tough... I remember dying from falls quite regularly. And the enemies were way tougher than I would have liked; I remember cheating to get all guns and to skip levels and being amazed at how much ammo the Atlantean enemies could absorb.

Maybe I didn't like it because I wasn't very good at it, but I think the farthest I got in the game without cheating was Greece. Also, looking back at the art for the first game... Lara Croft looks REALLY WEIRD. I mean, those proportions barely even RESEMBLE human.

But I'm always intrigued when I hear about reboots of Tomb Raider; I know it's happened a couple times before, but usually to bad reviews. I'm curious if TR9 fairs better for someone who didn't like the "classic" series.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I remember enjoying what little time I spent with a few of the Tomb Raider games on the PlayStation. I borrowed the first one from an old friend and even though I was completely lost I still liked exploring the environments. A few years back I would watch people play the most recent Tomb Raider titles and despite their nice graphics I never got all that attached. They seemed to have become more shooter oriented than focusing on adventure and exploration.

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...
Everyone check the E3 XBox Coverage. A lot of stuff in there. Tune in at about 45 minutes to check out stuff on the new TR9.

EDIT: Ok, I'm really disengaged. Gameplay looks easy and linear like the three previous titles. And I'm not getting the need of newer games to have camera effects. Specially if they're solo adventure games. It's like Survivor... like, I like it on MotorStorm Apocalypse, they're fantastic. In a solo adventure game, it just seems there's a whole crew of people following the 'supposedly-lost-person' around with all their gear. Screw that.

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
Bump & double post, sorry.

Upon further examination and sinking-in time, I've come to let that thing with the camera go, and actually accept it.
This is officially the game I've been more excited about since ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users