Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Its still around

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting
I was browsing around my freindly neighborhood Target this evening and saw something that half broke my heart yet half cheered me up:
The good news: NiGHTS: Journey of dreams was still on sale and waiting for new dreamers to pick it up
The bad news: The bin (or whatever the display is called) was full, implying that no one had bought it

So I got thinking: Is JOD still on sale in your neighborhood over a full year later?

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Yup, I still see copies in the game stores and they are regularly priced at $15.

I wonder how many copies they originally planned on selling if they are so overstocked to mark it down that much.

There are very few games that are that cheap, especially when they are brand new.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Yeah, the game's still on sale around here. It's disappointing more than anything else.

I suppose the high number of copies produced were kind of akin to expecting it to sell like a Sonic game (if only it were still 1996...). Which obviously most 7-10 year old brats expected and didn't want some flying game. So Sonic and the Secret Rings probably outsold it along with other licensed games like Sonic Riders (and let us not forget Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games).

HEY SEGA, PSN OR XBLA THE ORIGINAL PLS KTHXBAI

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Yes, the game is still on sale where I live. Except the price is 20 euros.

vincentdante

vincentdante

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Yup it's still on sale wherever I go.

I haven't been here since the JOD hype, I thought I would pop in for a visit ;)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Unfortunately it's still hard for me to imagine JoD attracting all that many new NiGHTS gamers. If people generally return the game after trying it, it really doesn't surprise me, knowing a lot of what they put into it. Honestly, there's a lot in there that could easily turn off older gamers. You all know what I'm referring to.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

Honestly, there's a lot in there that could easily turn off older gamers. You all know what I'm referring to.

*sigh* Yeah, I know. But it irks me that people don't even give it a chance. I've seen people bash this game without trying it first or even watching anyone else. I've lent JoD to two of my friends. One liked it, though not nearly as much as me, but won't buy it, probably because of her brother who hates it without reason. The other hated it because of frustrating levels like Labyrinth Guide and the fake British accents.

I've also seen a lot of people give on it just because they don't do well at first. A friend of a friend tried my JoD at a party, and she had fun at first. She'd heard of NiGHTS and been really eager to try it. But then...I think I kinda spoiled it for her when I played and totally breezed through. I asked if she wanted to play after that, and she just kinda looked at it and said "Uhm...Nah." ;) I didn't mean to discourage her. Watching other people do well on a game shows me what I can do to improve and inspires me to try harder, but I guess it's not that way for everyone. It really disappoints me that people expect to be good at any game right away just because they're good at traditional platformers, and then don't have the resolve to work at it when they're proven wrong.

Just to stay somewhat on-subject: I still see JoD stacked up in the game-only stores like EBX and GameStop, but last time I went to Target, I didn't see it. Not even on the "reject" shelves in the back. So either they all got bought up after all, or Target has some other way of getting rid of unsold merchandise that I'm not aware of.

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting

*sigh* Yeah, I know. But it irks me that people don't even give it a chance.

I'm in the same boat as you. my sister screams everytime I play Dreams Dreams and I sometimes have to tackle her to prevent her from forcefully shutting the Wii off mid-session. And apparently everyone I know cannot play through the tutorial on the simplest control scheme without having them flying in circles until I gently take the controller from there hands.

I forget to note: the JOD copies I had seen were on the 'reject shelfs' and had been $10.99 a week earlier.

MagicPickleFairy

MagicPickleFairy

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Video Games, Anime, Musical Theater.
I find it so sad that a decent game with beautiful graphics is being sold for such an inexpensive price. My prediction of the reason is the same as most people. Which is: No one would give it a try.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I find it so sad that a decent game with beautiful graphics is being sold for such an inexpensive price. My prediction of the reason is the same as most people. Which is: No one would give it a try.

Agreed, sadly. I was telling a riend about my NiGHTS cosplay, and he said, "Oh? NiGHTS? Like that Journey of Dreams game?" So naturally I go into my rabid fan mode, asking if he's played it. His answer? "No! NiGHTS is GAY!" ;)

So, I respond by explaining that NiGHTS has no gender and, as such, cannot be gay. And how, you ask, does he reply? "But...he's purple!"

Honestly? JoD is a great game, but no one will give such a crazy, unusual, gorgeous game a chance. However, it does come in handy- Journey of Dreams is a great example of supply and demand. :blink:

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
The time for games such as NiGHTS has passed. We've got a new generation of gamers who are all either into their shooters or their rpgs or sports or whatever. No one is willing to try anything different. They're all set in their ways pretty much. Plus, it's a game from Sega that isn't Sonic.

vincentdante

vincentdante

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
I never bother explaining what NiGHTS is about personally, if people ask what I'm playing I just say it's a game of skill, flying past obstacles at fast speeds trying to get a better score. It goes over well.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Even though we all know its sooo much more than just that...

Sk8teland85

Sk8teland85

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
I still see it around and when someone ask me to suggest a fun Wii game it is usually one of the first ones I will mention.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I never bother explaining what NiGHTS is about personally, if people ask what I'm playing I just say it's a game of skill, flying past obstacles at fast speeds trying to get a better score. It goes over well.

Can I have you follow me around and explain things to people? I always over-explain things, and often badly. I do try to say things simply, but I got weird looks describing Reala Day as celebrating an evil flying mime. ;)

EternalFluffy

EternalFluffy

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:writing, playing games, reading manga, weirdo dance-acting, lurking online...
I subtly introduced my roommate via 2-player mode, which I think was better than just shoving her into the tutorial by herself. She's not a fan or anything, but she got that "this isn't like anything I've ever played before" feel. ^^

I was recently thinking about just the sorts of things in this discussion when I also saw a new copy of JoD at GameStop for $15. =( Disgusting. I can understand lowering the price to $30 or even $25, because we know it's not the ultimate best game in the world, but $15?! I paid $50 when it first came out! And PROUD of it!! ^^;;;;

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

I subtly introduced my roommate via 2-player mode, which I think was better than just shoving her into the tutorial by herself. She's not a fan or anything, but she got that "this isn't like anything I've ever played before" feel. ^^

I was recently thinking about just the sorts of things in this discussion when I also saw a new copy of JoD at GameStop for $15. =( Disgusting. I can understand lowering the price to $30 or even $25, because we know it's not the ultimate best game in the world, but $15?! I paid $50 when it first came out! And PROUD of it!! ^^;;;;

Hell, not only did I pay the full $50, I had it pre-ordered as soon as I got the chance!

vincentdante

vincentdante

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Hell, not only did I pay the full $50, I had it pre-ordered as soon as I got the chance!

Likewise. Come to think of it, it was the JOD hype that got me into NiGHTS actually. In fact it was you whom recommended that I buy a saturn with the old NiGHTS on ebay during that time, back at the nights union on gamespot :) (I was deathscythe2000 if you remember me at all lol)

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Well I was wrong: I went to my local game store today, and the price is actually 30 euros, not 20. And the full price before was 60 euros here :)
Anyway, I also went to two other game stores and they didn't have it. I don't know what that means...

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I saw JoD for sale in a drug store while searching for cheap Easter candy with some friends. It was pretty strange?

Hoban

Hoban

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
NiGHTS is still for sale here for $40 :) I'm pleasantly surprised. My mom paid full price for it and I love it

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.
it's 4 pounds in my local gamestation, it makes it seem cheap and pathetic, i really don't like it being so judged...

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

I saw JoD for sale in a drug store while searching for cheap Easter candy with some friends. It was pretty strange?

I've heard NiGHTS called the Easter Bunny, so who knows... :)

CrashMan

CrashMan

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
it seems like you guys are trying to figure out the success of the game based on its current standing on game shelves.

check out vgchartz.com ....

http://www.vgchartz....=...&region=All

so right now, just counting the US & Japan, the game sold about 250,000 copies.

from what I'm told, if a game sells 400k-500k it is a genuine success. so let's assume that the game has sold at least 100k in Europe & Australia, etc.... that brings the total up to a very respectable 350,000 sold.

now, obviously, if SEGA really blew the budget to make this game, then they would need to sell a lot more copies to make a true profit.

also, if there are a lot of copies around, it could just mean that they over estimated what the demand for this game would be.... which makes sense since there was such a rabid following of the Saturn game(s).

however, as one poster said above, gaming has changed..... right now it's all about Halo/GTA clones. no offense if you are into those games, there's nothing "wrong" with them, but I'll take a game like NiGHTS or Mario Kart or Zak & Wiki any day.

but here's the good news: most cultural trends are cyclical. even though it's all about shooters and the HD-illusion right now, you already see games like A Boy and his Blob and MegaMan9 bringing back 2D goodness and a de-emphasis on graphics.

I think the only thing that could have been done differently would be to not wait a decade for a full sequel. but what's done is done, and I'm very happy with all the NiGHTS that have been given to us.... and who knows, it looks like it sold well enough for another installment. let's hope.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
I checked GameStop today and it was $20 new and $18 used. Quite a cut from the original price, but I was actually relieved. With what everyone's been saying, I was afraid it'd be $10.

NiGHTS is still for sale here for $40 :P I'm pleasantly surprised. My mom paid full price for it and I love it

I am SO happy to hear that! :D

http://www.vgchartz....=...&region=All

Wow. I didn't expect Japan to reject JoD like that. And why are all the rest of the countries' sales missing? That's probably nearly half the sales omitted right there. The total can't be considered even close to accurate without them.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Likewise. Come to think of it, it was the JOD hype that got me into NiGHTS actually. In fact it was you whom recommended that I buy a saturn with the old NiGHTS on ebay during that time, back at the nights union on gamespot :P (I was deathscythe2000 if you remember me at all lol)

Oh I remember you!!! I always recommend that to people. Its an amazing game. :D

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Ponder this- I saw NiD at a store, thirteen years later, for $95.99.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
It does really break my heart to see this game on the pre-owned shelves for 5 queens heads. It's no where near that bad a game. It's a real shame it never sold more - though at prices like that I've been more than tempted to snap up a few extra copies out of pure support lol.

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

It does really break my heart to see this game on the pre-owned shelves for 5 queens heads. It's no where near that bad a game. It's a real shame it never sold more - though at prices like that I've been more than tempted to snap up a few extra copies out of pure support lol.

I'm seriously considering buying every one of my friends a copy of the game and giving it to them for their birthday. XD

NiGHTS was originally about $50 here, and now I see it for $20 at Gamestop and I don't even see it at WalMart anymore. It's a bit depressing, but I always manage to go: "NiGHTS!" in the Gamestop so as to direct attention to it.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
My buddy Kurosen saw it in the store for 10 bucks, he took a picture. I let him know about this thread. Sigh..

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Toys R' Us in Times Square, NYC.... No words...

Posted Image

vincentdante

vincentdante

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Oh I remember you!!! I always recommend that to people. Its an amazing game. :lol:

I occasionally still check out the old union although its all but dead now :(

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
3 Pounds 99 pee at Gamestation now : (

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

3 Pounds 99 pee at Gamestation now : (

It's all the government's plot as revenge for the bad accents! :lol:

At least it's still on sale. :P

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yeah it's still around I gonna get it at a wal-mart for 10 bucks compare that to the 20 bucks for the Hell's Kitchen game there

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Yeah it's still around I gonna get it at a wal-mart for 10 bucks compare that to the 20 bucks for the Hell's Kitchen game there

Wow. That's horrid.

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I know it is depressing

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

I saw that too... and there were like a handful there for $10. I'll be nice and bite my lip, though.

renegade_sanzo

renegade_sanzo

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, sleeping, digital art, video games, singing, tattoos/piercings, anime, manga, tegaki blog, cosplay (mostly crossplay), conventions, horror movies, ball-joint dolls, Pinky St. figures, resin figures.<br /><br />Xbox Live gamertag: Renegade Sanzo<br />Gaia Online: Ice Prince Yuki<br />FF.net: Renegade Sanzo<br />AIM: Renegade Sanzo<br />Tegaki blog: Renegade Sanzo<br />Cosplay.com: Renegade Sanzo
I recently got a Wii for my birthday for the hell of it.

I had prepared myself mentally for over a year to play JoD because I knew it was going to feel different than NiD. I picked up an uber cheap copy of JoD. Cheap games make me happy.

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
I didn't see the game in my Walmart today. Made me wonder...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users