Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=FAKE=Sega Japan updates official Dreamcast site=FAKE=

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Shadz01

Shadz01

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, I'm just going to butt in here in case the site goes back up and people register before reading the topic. This site was proven to be a fake site, not hosted by SEGA. It's some sort of phishing scam, so guys, don't give out details. Kthnx. - Jof

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sega Japan have updated their official Dreamcast site and are asking the world "Do you still own a Dreamcast?" Why? There doesn't seem to be any answer at the moment. They have opened up a new sub-site where Dreamcast owners can register, using their Dreamcast’s serial numbers, allowing them access to their own “@user.dreamcast.com” account.

I think something big is being planned although I don't know what to think it could be yet. What are your oppinions on this?

Looking at the link ad for the "Do you still own a Dreamcast?" banner you see this -
http://www.dreamcast.com/dc_promo_2008_rc.jpg

So, definitely something happening this 2008.

Link -
http://www.dreamcast.com/

Sega Nerds article -
http://www.seganerds.com/2008/03/08/sega-j...2008/#more-3816

I've had a new e-mail from them which links me to a new Google Mail account with my serial number in it. The Dreamcast logo can be seen at the top left of the page too. I wonder what their plotting? With Google's help they should be fine financially whatever it is.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
NiGHTS INTO DREAMCAST, YES? It's never too late!

lol, one can dream..

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Whoa! This might be bigger than I thought. Upon going to register, I received this message:

Due the high volume of account requests, the service will be temporally suspended.

:blink:

If NiGHTS alone had enough of a following to warrant a sequel, then this could mean something BIG is in the works...speculation time!

My guesses, with what I feel are reasonable estimates for how likely they are:
1. Sega's going back into the hardware biz. Likelihood: 10%. Sega's already losing money, taking one final risk would be a bad decision (although I'd support it 100%).
2. Dreamcast games to Wii virtual console. Likelihood: 20%. Given we don't even have Saturn, SCD, or 32x yet, along with the small on-console storage space, this probably won't happen.
3. Dreamcast library gets added to XBOX360 "classic" titles lineup alongside XBOX games. Likelihood: 70%. Both XBOX1 and Dreamcast ran on a Windows shell, porting a game from one wouldn't be too difficult.

That is, of course, if anything becomes of this at all...(Edit:) if it isn't a hoax or scam. Possible, but highly doubtful, since the whois checks out (Sega of Japan).

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
WAAA! This is exciting!

I would wager that whatever is being planned is not going to be related to making Dreamcast games playable on other systems. This would in no way be profitable for Sega as it would require the gamer to already own the game disc for Xbox and the games are too large for virtual console.

I think it is going to involve making something new for the Dreamcast console itself. Supporting it once more. This could be many things, such as new budget-priced games (either new ones or re-releases of older Sega games ported to DC or else just the pre-existing DC games themselves), a reopening of online servers so folks could play Phantasy Star Online or Chu Chu Rocket again (I doubt this), or making available downloadable .iso files that users can burn onto discs and run on their Dreamcasts officially. These are all kind of "out there" possibilities but whatever Sega is planning, it does not seem to be something conventional...

SOMETHING MYSTERIOUS AND POSSIBLY WONDERFUL IS AFOOT! I would love the return of Dreamcast support. It really was a great console and a shame it did not do as well as it deserved.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Wow. Well this is certainly interesting.

I can't imagine what they're actually doing here! XD Maybe they're going to release an XNA type thing for the Dreamcast? XD
In all likelyhood nothing will come of this... considering the console almost killed SEGA and it's almost a decade old, I doubt they're going to do anything that requires much of a monetary input on their part.

Mythic

Mythic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Fantasy critters, comics and animation, retro things, videogames, the 80's
Well now! I wonder what Sega could be planning? Mentioning the Dreamcast after all these years....Hopefully this won't be anything so "extreme" that it'll put Sega even higher on the risk meter.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Rumours are rife that this is fake. The website is hosted in Florida, not on any official SEGA servers, amongst other things. Don't give out any e-mail addresses or passwords folk, this is very shifty.

Nyclone

Nyclone

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Interests:If I'm on a NiGHTS themed forum, than what do you think my interests are!? Aside from that: Video games, drawing, writing songs, acting like an idiot, listening to the same bloody songs over and over, My fanmaren, and dreams are about it. :D
It's part of Google.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.

It's part of Google.

No it's not. The e-mail accounts that they are outsourcing are, not the website itself. They're probably getting money for helping set up so many e-mail accounts, as a buisiness user or whatnot.

Nyclone

Nyclone

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Interests:If I'm on a NiGHTS themed forum, than what do you think my interests are!? Aside from that: Video games, drawing, writing songs, acting like an idiot, listening to the same bloody songs over and over, My fanmaren, and dreams are about it. :D
I just saw the word "Google" showing across the bottom when loading.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

NiGHTS INTO DREAMCAST, YES? It's never too late!

lol, one can dream..

Never too late? It's waaaaaaaaay too late lmao

TRAViS

TRAViS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Well I just got inundated with spam MSN messages left and right on the account connected to the email I used to register with this dreamcast.com.

Dammit...

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Dammit

glad I didn't have a chance to set up an account -.-'

Golden Charm

Golden Charm

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I was wondering why the Japanese Dreamcast website had a -.com address.

Usually all Sega Japanese accounts run as -.jp don't they.

At least Sega.jp and sonic-team.jp are the main cases I think of.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Dang, my hopes were raised.

Good thing I did not actually register?

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic the hedgehog, anime, manga, drawing, books, photoshop, j-pop and rock, reading and writing fanfiction, cooking and lots of other stuff....... ^_^
I f something seems too good to be true, it usually is..........
Shame it wasn't anything good :D

TRAViS

TRAViS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Here's just hoping that SEGA noticed how much interest the site generated for past and present Dreamcast owners and sees just how many fans are still out there...

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Surely the buzz around it must not have gone unnoticed by them.. if only some good could come out of it. It adds a layer of dickery that the people who made it exploited Dreamcast owners for spam mail, of all people and things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users