Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2007 Nintendo Power Awards

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*
  • Guests
OK. I'm officially pissed at all readers of Nintendo Power now. If you check the March 2008 issue, you'll notice that NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams was nominated for several awards, but won none, even though the NP Crew chose it for Best Music. I sent the following as an email to Nintendo Power's mailbag, known as the Player's Pulse, in response.

In the March 2008 issue (Vol. 226), you revealed the winners of the 2007 Nintendo Power Awards. I noticed that NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams was a nominee for Wii Game of the Year, Best Wii Graphics, Best Music, Best Shooter/Action Game, and Best Overall Game of the Year. It won NONE of these, even though the NP Crew choose it for Best Music. It didn't even place third in most of them.

I must say that I am extremely ashamed of the readers who dare call themselves Nintendo fans. They didn't even give this game a chance at all! Honestly, what the hell is the population thinking?! Just because a game as "Mario" or "Metroid" in the title doesn't make it great. You need to actually play the game to be able to judge it, not just give your vote to something you've only seen played on YouTube. Not only that, but you should be playing as many games as you possibly can, so you can actually be truly prepared for the next year's Nintendo Power Awards. If you can't afford them yourself, then get friends who have the game and will let you play it.

Honestly, people do not use their brains here. I honestly would put NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams in first place for Best Music, for example. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass would be second, then Final Fantasy XII: Revenent Wings, then Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, then Luminous Arc, and Super Mario Galaxy would be in LAST place, where it rightfully belongs. I'm honestly sick of hearing the same score over and over again. NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams has a truly beautiful soundtrack, and being able to finally hear the familiar tune played by an orchestra rather than a MIDI synchronizer is truly breathtaking.

But nobody even gave this game a chance. No one but me, at least. So shame on you, NP readers. Shame on you for not getting this game, not giving it a true chance at glory, and just giving your vote blindly to games that don't deserve it. It's people like you that are the reason why the XBox 360 (AKA piece of worthless crap) is so damn popular.

Feel free to post your own angst here.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Well.. NiGHTS will always be a Sega game to me, not a Nintendo game, even though this one's on the Wii.. So I wouldn't really give to shits about "Nintendo fans" calling themselves so for not voting for NiGHTS.

Also, its not really that big of a shock, is it? Sure, NiGHTS is great. Especially to all of us. But we have a tendency around here to hold anything NiGHTS related up on a pedestal and not look at the flaws. I'm sure that if JoD came up in that whole awards thing, they must have noted the unpolished graphics and the fact that it isn't that widely known of a game, compared to most others.

So there's my piece. :( Do continue, people, but don't riot about or get ridiculous, like demanding do-overs and sh!t, it or we'll have to close the "angst" topic.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
I think GI, sadly I must admit, said it best. Hmm... don't have the issue in-front of me, but they were basically saying "this is a treat for the fanboys and girls; this isn't really innovative anymore, SEGA." They then went on and basically explained that you'll love JoD... if you liked NiGHTS. Otherwise, look away.

Although I still think JoD was pretty good... it's not THE BEST GAME EVER. Not surprised it didn't win any awards, honestly. I've mostly seen reviews hailing it for being true to the original and its music... and that's about it. Controls = X_X, and some were disappointed that not much new was added >_>!

Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing and cosplaying characters from the NiD universe. Sometimes I like to make plushies (i'm not too good at large plushies).
Are you sure you got the correct info? I just got the march issue of Nintendo Power, and it clearly says under best music of 2007 "NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams". I can scan it up if you wish.

EDIT: And Super Mario Galaxy got second place. The staff at NP said NiGHTS had "a special place in their hearts" and they couldn't give up the title of best music to phantom hourglass or mario galaxy, as much as they wanted to. SMG got best overall game of the year, and PH got best adventure game of the year.

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*
  • Guests

Are you sure you got the correct info? I just got the march issue of Nintendo Power, and it clearly says under best music of 2007 "NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams". I can scan it up if you wish.

EDIT: And Super Mario Galaxy got second place. The staff at NP said NiGHTS had "a special place in their hearts" and they couldn't give up the title of best music to phantom hourglass or mario galaxy, as much as they wanted to. SMG got best overall game of the year, and PH got best adventure game of the year.

I'm aware of this, but look at how the readers voted. That's why the angst.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I agree with you on the Mario music part. How many times can you listen to the same piece over and over again. Sure it's catchy and everyone knows it but that's because we've been forced to listen to it for over 20 freakin years.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
JoD wasn't a very good game. Simple as.

The game exactly garner critical praise and most outside of this forum seem incredibly disappointed in the game. The controls were awful, graphics abysmal, gitiches plentiful, story painful ad side-missions game-breaking. The only saving grace was the music.

I agree with you on the Mario music part. How many times can you listen to the same piece over and over again. Sure it's catchy and everyone knows it but that's because we've been forced to listen to it for over 20 freakin years.

Did you not play Galaxy? The music was used sparingly, making way for wonderful new compositions such as gusty garden, which was absolutely wonderful. While part of me prefers the JoD music to the weaker moments in the Galaxy soundtrack, JoD seems more fitting to your criticisms. Just replace the timber 20 with 10.

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*

Guest_Unlimited NiGHTS_*
  • Guests

The game exactly garner critical praise and most outside of this forum seem incredibly disappointed in the game. The controls were awful, graphics abysmal, gitiches plentiful, story painful ad side-missions game-breaking. The only saving grace was the music.

<quote>

Did you not play Galaxy? The music was used sparingly, making way for wonderful new compositions such as gusty garden, which was absolutely wonderful. While part of me prefers the JoD music to the weaker moments in the Galaxy soundtrack, JoD seems more fitting to your criticisms. Just replace the timber 20 with 10.

What are you doing here if you hate NiGHTS so much?

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

Galaxy's music was sweet. Seriously, the music in the main hub gets slowly more complex as you add power to it. Starts out with one or two instruments, and ends with nearly a whole orchestra. That was pretty awesome >>.

Never completed Galaxy, though D8.

Gotta admit, JoD and Galaxy both had good music.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

What are you doing here if you hate NiGHTS so much?

I don't hate the first one at all. JoD however, was utter tripe.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

I'm glad someone said it. NiGHTS 1 was amazing. The new NiGHTS game on the Wii wasn't very well recieved. Had they kept the original formula without experimenting with voice acting, various cutscenes, and platforming levels then I think it would've gotten better reviews.

I've played SMG I just can't really remember any of the other tracks besides the ones I've heard over the years. I didn't say all the tracks were the same I'm just saying people shouldn't keep praising the game's music for the same repetitive tracks.

Nyclone

Nyclone

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Interests:If I'm on a NiGHTS themed forum, than what do you think my interests are!? Aside from that: Video games, drawing, writing songs, acting like an idiot, listening to the same bloody songs over and over, My fanmaren, and dreams are about it. :D
I love JoD as much as everyone else on this board, but it really didn't have very workable controls. I never really played NiD, and don't have very many games for my Wii, so that was the only thing that I can criticize.

trueBLUE

trueBLUE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Super Mario Galaxy and NiGHTS: JoD might have started a very interesting arguement, but people, please, it's obvious the more superior game was Mario Galaxy. Galaxy took the Mario series to new heights and was developed by a proven studio. NiGHTS, on the other hand, was developed by a studio that dragged Sonic down to new lows on his 15th birthday.

As for being poorly received, it wasn't received that bad. Here's the rankings for the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users