Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mai Numba' 1 Fear with the New Release...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Murder's Last Crow

Murder's Last Crow

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Do any of you guys share this same overwhelming fear of doom and fandom destruction? I mean, it'll be nice to reshape and build on the fanbase, but there's a very distinct flaw with newbies- they are very assumptuous and careless, at times, and they don't know anything yet.

I hope they all have the time to get the original on PS2 sometime so we don't have to suffer the ignorance for too long. Then again, there are many fans who still haven't played the game on the Saturn *tears up*.

It's funny, I got Christmas NiGHTS before the actual game, so I wasn't as disappointed when my brother shattered it for me playing it on his Saturn without his permission...

Two years later when I bought the original, I cried.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Nope. At least, not because of the newbies. I think they should play the original, but it's easy enough to find info and ask others even if they can't find the game. If they get something wrong older fans can usually correct them or link them to correct info. Seeing how other fandoms are I doubt clueless newbies would destroy this one on their own, everyone starts out as a newbie after all. No, I think any danger would be more in fans wanting to decide what is and isn't canon and get everyone else to follow - just look at the Harry Potter fandom.

And damn, what your brother did sucks D: I'd cry too. How did he manage to shatter it?

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
By noobs, do you mean "proffesional reviewers"?
They're unstoppable. Just ignore them.

Murder's Last Crow

Murder's Last Crow

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
With his hands. But I didn't care since it was just a "sample" or whatever it says on the disc.

Once I realized how rare the disc actually was, I wanted to impale myself on a pogo stick for the sheer purpose of amusement... oh yeah, and because it drove me absolutely insane. Playing as Sonic was one of my fondest childhood memories.

The funniest thing is, the internal memory on my Saturn never worked, so to beat the original, I always just got all A's each time I played for around an hour and half to get the perfect ending with revised singing at the end, and whenever I played Christmas NiGHTS, I had to play for many hours to get Sonic again. XD

It was awesome. Arcade-style NiGHTS, yo!

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

By noobs, do you mean "proffesional reviewers"?
They're unstoppable. Just ignore them.

This fan speaks the truth in all it's entirety. They are like monsters ready to destroy any game they get their hands on. The only way to defeat them is to play the game yourself and judge which is the right thing to do.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
The fanbase has had people join it over the last decade, most of them starting off not knowing much about NiGHTS and getting a lot of things wrong. Hell, i got a shedload of things wrong when i first became a full active member of this community. Because the UK instruction manuals explained the story rather differently to the Japanese manual, i was lead to believe that NiGHTS was a Nightopian but after hanging around online at this place, i was corrected and learnt a whole lot more about the game that i had previously gotten twisted.

As i said, new fans are always coming in and we're always pointing them in the right direction if they get something wrong.
It'll just be another day at the office, for us. XD

....that, and the fact that the Reala fanclub is probably gonna go through the roof. But what else is new? XD

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

This fan speaks the truth in all it's entirety. They are like monsters ready to destroy any game they get their hands on. The only way to defeat them is to play the game yourself and judge which is the right thing to do.

Its not reviewers that destroys the game but the people that chose to listen to the reviewer.
Just because a particular reviewer doesn't like a particular game doesn't mean that its actually a game you would hate.

Anyhow I'm not worried about fan destruction of the game.
However there are many things in the game already that has many of the things that I feared would happen.
(For one instance inexperienced voice actors/ actress)

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
What the hell is with the reviewer hate on here? They're not 'monsters', it doesn't destroy a game if some person says they don't like it, and some reviews are POSITIVE. I mean, come on. What on earth are you talking about?

Reviews are great, you just have to make sure to look at quite a few of them so you can get a better, more balanced sense of things. Professional reviewers are paid to play lots and lots of games, they have an idea of what they're talking about and can give you a good sense of a game before you buy. If EVERYONE gives the game a lacklustre review, it's not because reviewers are some coalition of bad evil game haters. It's because the game probably ISN'T THAT GREAT and they're doing their duty as journalists to report that. Also not many have given it dire results anyway, from what I've seen it's been pretty much average.

If you don't agree with the reviews, write your own reviews. Take part in the user ratings. Do something. There is NOTHING wrong with reviews.

Anyway, back on topic, isn't it a bit ironic to be all worried about newbies and kids, when your topic is spelt 'MAI NUMBA' 1 FEAR'...? ;)

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs

Professional reviewers are paid to play lots and lots of games, they have an idea of what they're talking about and can give you a good sense of a game before you buy.

Even if some companies pay them to give their games good reviews, right?

Drannore

Drannore

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I have no fear of new people, not even reviewers. The reason that Metacritc exists is to give you a summary of what every single reviewer has said, as well as giving you access to the written reviews. That is why sites like Metacritic are so important when making a purchasing decision.

Oh, and as one of the newbies, I must say that at least some of the new players did their research before joining this forum. I know that I did.

AirMax

AirMax

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:school-survival.net, NiD, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, anime, awesome, scoreattack.net

Oh, and as one of the newbies, I must say that at least some of the new players did their research before joining this forum. I know that I did.

I'll say, I was looking around like, a year ago, just looking at all the stuff on the site. Absorbing, absorbing! "And now that the new forum's up, and I know these things," I told myself, "I shall garner the courage to join the forums!"

I see these reviews, and I think, "I know this guy that laughs at all the low scored games and disses them." But hey, he'll probably lose the experience of playing a decent game.

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Even if some companies pay them to give their games good reviews, right?

That's why you read a bunch of different reviews so you get a more balanced view. And sometimes even when they're paid to promote a game they won't ignore all the faults. Just look at what happened with Gamespot and 'Kane and Lynch' recently. Yeah, they edited the harsh review to tone it down a but they did still keep a lot of criticisms, just phrased them a little more softly. The actual text of reviews, or at least the break down of the marks, are a lot more worth paying attention to than the final numerical score anyway, and if you read a whole bunch of reviews you'll get a good picture of the reactions people have to it.

Sure there's some mark fixing in some cases, but not all of them, and reviewers are definitely not worth demonising just because some of them don't like some games that other people do like. A reviewer is just one guy and their opinions should be taken as such. It's just often that guy has had a lot of experience playing different games and might have a little more of an informed opinion. They're shouldn't be taken as gospel, but they're hardly evil.

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
The only thing I fear are the trolls..Simply because if we start getting a lot of them(which i think we may)...You guys will have to see my...'Darker' side.

And NO ONE wants to see that.

(just ask the asshole from my school bus the other day. i don't think i've ever seen someone that scared up close before.)

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Well it's been three days now and it doesn't look like too many new people have come up. But then again it has only been three days so only time will tell. I'm guessing after Christmas it will be the time to raise some alarm.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
I could care less about the n00bs not understanding or knowing about the orginal. I will be happy to correct them. This new game will bring them and I will correct them.

The only thing I fear is n00b fans coming and bringing their annoying form of interent lingo with them. As long as you don't squee all over the place and repeat the same word 20 times, then I am good. I also fear of any new people coming and acting very harsh and stubborn.

Get ready guys, you never know what this game will bring. We may soon meet the most annoying person on the net. BUt dont' worry. It brings fun and life to the board.

Tai

Tai

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:I love anime and games! I collect manga more than I do anime 'cause it's cheaper, though, and cosplay from time to time. Hopefully I'll have a decent Jackle costume done in time for Nan Desu Kan this year XD. I also like yaoi, DDR, um...pandas...and yaoi. I don't like mainstream anime much though; most of it isn't very good anyway....

The only thing I fear is n00b fans coming and bringing their annoying form of interent lingo with them. As long as you don't squee all over the place and repeat the same word 20 times, then I am good.

*suddenly nervous about my tendency to use rp jargon and asterisks* *yikes!*

It would really suck if n00blets started 1337ing all over the place. I'm a n00b to the forums, but I know the game well enough. And I don't squee online as much as I do in real life. I think. *sweatdrop*

If n00bs try to destroy the joy that is this community I vow to chuck bricks at them until my arms fall off! BWUAHAHA!

*cough* ...Then again, from what I've seen, this place is unique in that you can't tell lurkers from dreamers by how they post. Everyone just...acts like themselves. Even the dreamer-status ppls sound like they're eight at times (no offense). It's nice. Gaia and such all have this thing where you don't ever ask questions and just try to sound like you've been on the site forever. It sucks to ask a question and everyone starts ignoring you 'cause you've been auto-n00bed for it. This site is very open and welcoming in comparison.

The n00bs probably won't be too much of an issue anyway. Just a few jerks, maybe.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
New people, old people, people who get lost on the way to Halo3.com, whatever, everyone who has a genuine interest in NiGHTS and can talk about it in a civil friendly manner is welcome here.

Everyone starts off completely n00bish, i know i certainly did. One page websites with flashing fire animations, embedded midis and no idea what iRC was or how to use it. The majority of us start off annoying in some shape or form.

My first day on the int0rnets was spent on my friend Blu's PC trolling ICQ chatrooms and trying to be as obnoxious as possible for laughs.

Learning curve lol.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
The first time I ever encountered the NiGHTS fanbase, I was convinced (as in NO ONE COULD SQUASH IT OUT OF ME) that the Archie comics were canon. *is shot by fans* I know better now.... I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users