Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da Fishy's Name

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
-ahem- The fish boss's name is Girania. -bow- Thank you. Also, he is the boss of the Dream of Desert stage. But, you probably already knew that...that is all.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I didn't know any of that. Thanks. The name reminds me of Darunia from OoT o.0

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Nope, didn't know that... thanks for sharing with us! ^^

I noticed it had one of those Egyptian style fake beards on its chin, so it being the boss of the desert stage makes sense.

Girania... hmm... doesn't it have a moustache? That's kind of a feminine name for something with facial hair XD
Maybe in Nightmare they give all their boys girl names, hence Reala :lol:

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Girania, huh? Interesting.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Is that the Japanese translation of the name? Cause I can't seem to find any info on that word or name. In the last game, all the bosses had names that described them or seemed to fit who their were a bit. I wonder what Girania means. (So far the closest thing I have got is a place in Spain....) If that is the direct Japanese name, does that mean the American one will be different? Or is that the official name no matter what?

I'm sorry, I know I am weird. I like to know the meanings behind names. Also, the name is only feminine sounding cause it has an a at the end. So unless you speak Spanish or some other language that associates words to be feminine when then end in 'a' , then I think is a non gender type name. But thats just me....

wocko

wocko

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Girania? Gulpo's sibling maybe? :lol: From what I could tell in the video, the fight seemed a bit Gilwing like to me and then exploded into coloured balls.

Have they yet named the new "Puffy" boss yet?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I see..

wocko

wocko

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I see..

Sorry I'm a bit weird sometimes. :lol:

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Hmmmm.... I like it, but it sounds like a Japanese name....

^_^ Go Dreamer

^_^ Go Dreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of NiGHTS, Reala, And Jackle! I love to play video games, mostly (SEGA & Nintendo). Love Anime. I Love talking about NiGHTS!!! Also I like surfing the internet! ^_^
Wow! Thanks for posting this! I've been waiting to hear Gillpo's real name ^_^....... Girania.....Hmm, thats a pretty cool name!

But I wonder if it going to be a little difficult battling him?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Sorry I'm a bit weird sometimes. :lol:

Me too! I wasn't replying to you, just a general reaction to this news ;)

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Someone here on the forums said that the lettering for the Puffy-boss's name that they saw looked like it read 'Donbalon' or 'Donpalon'. Donbalon sounds cool. XD Girainia, hm...I'm hoping that's the Japanese name, it does sound a tad bit too femmy for our fishy.

^_^ Go Dreamer

^_^ Go Dreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of NiGHTS, Reala, And Jackle! I love to play video games, mostly (SEGA & Nintendo). Love Anime. I Love talking about NiGHTS!!! Also I like surfing the internet! ^_^

I'm hoping that's the Japanese name

Yeh I hope they give us the original Japanese names for these bosses instead of changing them, like what the did to William (Kevin)! ^_^

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
It's probably pronounced Jur-AHNIA.

Camittles

Camittles

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:animating, modeling, video production, tattoos, piercings, dyed hair, body modification, art, cartoons, comics, video games, 1980's, action figures, my little ponies, live music/shows, mac computers, bright colors, makeup, neil gaiman, dave mckean, david mack, taco bell, woodchuck cider, amaretto sours, mythology, alternate subcultures
Or if you're going by the Engrish version, then after "translation" it would be Gilainia

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Did abit of googling...

Girania is a mis-spelling of Giranio. The only thing I could come across that relates to the name Girania is a few words in google books from India.

It could be anything. IMO it doesn't sound Japanese. @_@;

Edit: Loo! I typed girania in katakana (since it's a name) in Google and came across Brave Story! There's a Gekirin (Touch/wrath?) of Girania in the psp game which you can get from weird fish like monsters. My japanese is weak so I don't know how accurate that is. ;3;

Artemis

Artemis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Brazillian dancing, NiD (duh), drawing, swimming, music, debate, taiko drumming, and making people laugh.
I like that name! And I think depending on how someone pronounces it the name sounds like it has different origins. I dunno, I'm just guessing.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Did abit of googling...

Girania is a mis-spelling of Giranio. The only thing I could come across that relates to the name Girania is a few words in google books from India.

It could be anything. IMO it doesn't sound Japanese. @_@;

Edit: Loo! I typed girania in katakana (since it's a name) in Google and came across Brave Story! There's a Gekirin (Touch/wrath?) of Girania in the psp game which you can get from weird fish like monsters. My japanese is weak so I don't know how accurate that is. ;3;

OH so it seems to have something to do with fish then? I guess we won't know for awhile, but thanks for trying. It makes me happy to know I am not the only one here that is so interested in finding the meaning of the name. The root could have a meaning and then another part of it is just added to make is sound like a name or something. Maybe its a sound effect? I mean, Gulpo's root word comes from a sound. Lordy knows...

You may be on to something though. It may not be Japanese. Maybe the root word comes from another language. I keep finding a lot of German and Italian stuff. hmmmm

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Meh. I come back and I get this.

I'm prolly not gonna get any support on this, but I might as well give my opinion.

I truly dislike the names. Going with names like 'Girana' and 'Donbalon' makes it seem to me like Sega is trying too hard to invent cool names for characters that really don't fit the names well. Looking back at the old names, we get 'Puffy' and 'Gulpo'. While they aren't original, they convey the nature of the boss, and sound fun and simple, which most players who enjoy NiGHTS really like. These new names don't convey the meaning of the boss, don't sound fun, and certainly isn't as easy to say. Just try saying Giriana, then compare it with Gulpo. It really makes me feel as if Sonic Team isn't living up to the joy and dreaminess of the original.

But, these are just my opinions. Now, let my beating begin. :blink:

DARiA

DARiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:I love well-made fanart, drawings and well-written fanfics. I adore people who can be creative in a beautiful way (good artists, writers, singers etc). I like various anime shows, mostly shoujo and maho-shoujo. I also like reading books of fantasy-writers (Andre Norton, Phillip Pullman, Gart Nix etc). I like listening to rock or folk-rock music. I also love various pretty shiny things. I myself write and draw various fan things from time to time. And yes, I also love sleeping, dreaming and being lazy.
To me, "Girania" sounds similar to "piranha" (that's probably because russian "piranha" is spoken like "pee-rah-nee-ah"). So, to me, that explains the fish form and all those spikes and blades...

TCT

TCT

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Games, comics, anime

To me, "Girania" sounds similar to "piranha" (that's probably because russian "piranha" is spoken like "pee-rah-nee-ah"). So, to me, that explains the fish form and all those spikes and blades...

You're right, Girania sounds really piranha (especially in russian like you said). And the boss is fish so it can be very possible.

Guest_DreamWeaver_*

Guest_DreamWeaver_*
  • Guests

Girania? Gulpo's sibling maybe? :lol: From what I could tell in the video, the fight seemed a bit Gilwing like to me and then exploded into coloured balls.

I think it's called 'Donbalon'.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Donbalon makes me think of the Mafia XD;

Inubu

Inubu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Drawing,writing,movie making,voice acting,and sculpting.
Well,that's a nice name.I like it,how on earth did you know that? :lol:

Avenrir

Avenrir

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, monsters & beasties, insects & spiders ( but not moths. KEEP THEM AWAY! ), art, comics, cartoons, dinosaurs, mythical creatures, fonts, dreams & nightmares, swords, retro videogames, the Discworld, and last but not least: Cadbury's chocolate. O.O
Girania sounds almost like the name of a plant to me. Like a Geranium. It's a nice name, though, just doesn't conjure up any sorta fish-like images in my mind.

Donbalon is much better than the current nickname for the 'patches' boss, imo. Though my mind keeps pronouncing it 'Donbaron" for some obscure reason. o_O

A quick google of "balon" brought up images of footballs. It does seem like they're using different languages as basis for these names...

...On the whole, though, I like these. Though as an earlier post said, they're not quite with the same naming theme that Sonic Team used for the previous game. Which is something I do think I'll miss.

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
The fish's name isn't really sticking with me. I'm not sure what it is.. it doesn't connect to anything -- same basis as was mentioned above. 'Puffy' and 'Gulpo' and 'Clawz' were accessible. They described a trait.

Girania sounds more like yelling "Geronimo!" *shrug*

Donbalon has a very Frenchy feeling to me. I've got a horrible image of the movie "The Red Balloon" gone horribly and hideously wrong..

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Donbalon makes me think of the Mafia XD;

Donbalon: You want I should break your face?

NiGHTS: No no! I promise I'll have the money! I just need more time!!!

Donbalon: -mows NiGHTS down-

catchan2007

catchan2007

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Drawing<br />Writing<br />Anime/manga (Fav titles include D. Gray-man, Buso Renkin, Gurren Lagann and a few more but if I typed it all out, there'd be no space left!!)
LOL XD

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests
Girania: If thats the Japanese name then it makes sense
(Gilled Piranha not to be confused with Grilled Piranha. XD)

Donbalon: Does sound like a he is part of the mafia.
(Don Balloon? X_X)
This one is apparently not in the Japanese form.
(Japanese has no L so they use this R that sounds much like an L. Then again this can be more direct as in already translated.)

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Argh, the scanner conveniently broke. >.< But yeah, it's in the Nov 2007 issue of Nintendo Power. I can post the text if you want.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Yes please ;) Too bad about the scanner, hope it'll work soon.

DARiA

DARiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:I love well-made fanart, drawings and well-written fanfics. I adore people who can be creative in a beautiful way (good artists, writers, singers etc). I like various anime shows, mostly shoujo and maho-shoujo. I also like reading books of fantasy-writers (Andre Norton, Phillip Pullman, Gart Nix etc). I like listening to rock or folk-rock music. I also love various pretty shiny things. I myself write and draw various fan things from time to time. And yes, I also love sleeping, dreaming and being lazy.
A little thing about Girania: thinking again about what we've said, we get a supasushi piranha yelling "Geronimooooo!"

And Donbalon is, hm... Weird at some point, but another second you look at this name and you find nothing strange about it... Though it makes me think about some bird-type pokemon of the 4th generation... Same for Girania, btw

I would agree with people - names of previous bosses were great. They weren't too overdone, they were nice and simple, kind of what a kid would name his under-bed monster... Nice, simple and describing.
New bosses names, on the other hand, is quite complicated now - look at previous discussion and you'll see how much of an accociation it triggers. Sushi, piranha, geronimo, spain, mafia... Is it for good or bad, that one name gives you a few hints and then you began to wonder what is a creature named like that would be?

I wonder what would developter call new bosses...

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks, Josse. I'll see if I can borrow my mom's scanner over the weekend.

Dream Escapes
> NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
Platform: Wii - Publisher: Sega
Developer: Sega - Release: December 2007

Sega has finally pulled back the curtain a little more on NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, revealing a new stage as well as detailing some of the backstory for the game's two new characters, giving us an excuse to cover the high-flying adventure yet again. (Can you tell we're looking forward to this one?)

Both of the game's young protagonists -- Will Taylor and Helen Cartwright -- live in the city of Bellbridge, and have recently been experiencing nightmares stemming from changes in their family lives. Will's father, who every day after work would come home and practice soccer with his son, was recently transferred to a different city by his employer, leaving Will feeling very alone. Similarly, Helen was once very close with her mother, but as she's grown up and begun spending more time with her friends, she and her mother have drifted apart, leaving Helen with subconscious feelings of guilt. One night, a warm light appears in both children's dreams, banishing their nightmares and beckoning them to the idyllic world of Nightopia. There they meet a mysterious flying jester named NiGHTS, and thus begin a whimsical journey that has you soaring, swooping, and performing all manner of aerial acrobatics through seven themed dreamscapes.

According to Sega, the new desert stage pictured here represents Will's feelings of solitude. The amusement park buried in the sand reflects happy memories of Will's father, and the giant beanstalk that rises through the clouds serves as "a subconscious symbol of Will's inner desire to grow up and escape the desolation he feels." It's all in step with the psychology of Carl Jung, upon which the stage designs are based. Things get even more surreal from there, however. By touching TV sets floating throughout the area, you can transform the entire level into a lush oasis filled with rings and other helpful items. If you miss one of the televisions, though, the level will eventually revert back to a desert, where sinister Nightmarens attack en masse. As the setting changes, so does NiGHTS' flight path through the level.

At the end of the stage, you'll encounter a giant fish named Girania. As the boss leaps out of the water and tries to devour our heroic jester, you must loop around it, causing the fish to explode into dozens of tiny particles. You must then loop around as many of the particles as you can before they come together and reconstruct your foe.

The more we see of Journey of Dreams, the more optimistic we are it will recapture the magic that made its Sega Saturn predecessor a cult favorite. We'll see if that dream comes true this December.

-- Steve T.

There's three pictures to the side: the first has NiGHTS in a dark blue-green landscape that looks kind of like the Roman colloseum, drill dashing towards Girania's open mouth. He's, uh... Gira's a big boy. NiGHTS looks like he's the size of Girania's eye. The second picture has the jester flying down the side of a roller coaster track in the desert, lots of red and sunset colors all around, with what I assume is an Ideya Palace far in the background. Kinda reminds me of a mix between Stick Canyon and Arches National Park. The last one is more flying in the desert, but now NiGHTS is very high up with clouds covering the landscape, and there are blimps following him around. Apparently the beanstalk is really huge, because it's sprawling all over this level. There's a house in the background too, and yellow rings a la the first game.

Eeee. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users