Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Music Creation Tools

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
I'm not sure if this fits here... but *shrugs*.

What Programs do you use for Electronic Music Creation? I'm interested in creating some songs sometime soon, and I'm kinda looking around to see what would work or not >>.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
If you want to make some fairly simple music you can try programs like Fruity Loops or maybe Reason.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Can you make music without the need for instruments with these programs?

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Can you make music without the need for instruments with these programs?

Not really, no >_<. Don't have the equipment. Besides, the music I'm talking about is Digital and Electronic music, not really guitars or Pianos (unless they are, of course, 'digital guitars and pianos' ).

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

Not really, no >_<. Don't have the equipment. Besides, the music I'm talking about is Digital and Electronic music, not really guitars or Pianos (unless they are, of course, 'digital guitars and pianos' ).

I mean like synthesizers and stuff.
What I'm saying is can you make all the sounds off the computer, or is something outside the computer required to make the sounds.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

I mean like synthesizers and stuff.
What I'm saying is can you make all the sounds off the computer, or is something outside the computer required to make the sounds.

Ah.

I can make all the sounds with the computer :3.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

Ah.

I can make all the sounds with the computer :3.

So what programs do you use? I'm interested in making some musik too.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

So what programs do you use? I'm interested in making some musik too.

That's what I wanna know XD; .

Music 2000 is good, but it's shareware. That's all I can think of.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

That's what I wanna know XD; .

Music 2000 is good, but it's shareware. That's all I can think of.

I meant for making sounds. Unless thats all you looking for. :P

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
If you're stuck for sounds, keep an eye out in your newsagent for music magazines with cover DVDs, as they'll have a load of free samples and plugins for you to use in your tracks, which is a lot cheaper than buying full sample packs for yourself. And saves you from 'I'm using the default sounds that came with my program' feel.

And remember that a sample doesn't have to sound like it does in it's 'natural' state in your track. Plugins and filters can give you a pretty big range of sounds from a single sample if you play around enough.

(If you're on a Mac, there's always garage band if you wanna have a play about.)

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests
Oi...
All the stuff I used in the past were stuff like Fruity Loops, Anvil Studio (For more instrumental sound but mind you this is a really crappy program easy to use though. Fruity Loops would instrumental stuff too I just always found it hard to use that program for some reason... :S), and then sound editing software like Gold Wave and Audacity to make some odd music.
(All these programs combined depending on what I was trying to make.)

Gold Wave is not a free software but you can use it for a very lengthy period of time. (It will just start bugging you to buy the soft ware after so many clicks of editing. So I would save often then when it starts to do that just reset the program. Would be a long time before it starts bugging though, usually finish all my editing before it starts to bug me.)

Fruity Loops: last time I knew it wasn't free. (I didn't use it often so I can't remember how it acted.)

Anvil Studio is free forever but if you want added stuff you would have to pay for those. (Last time I knew.)

Audacity: I don't remember if this is free or not but I'm not having anything thats bugging that I can't use it any more or something. (Probably free.)
This program can be used to rip music off of other sites or background sound. Just don't make any other sounds while it is playing other wise it will pick that up too. The volume of your computer also effects it.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Oi...
All the stuff I used in the past were stuff like Fruity Loops, Anvil Studio (For more instrumental sound but mind you this is a really crappy program easy to use though. Fruity Loops would instrumental stuff too I just always found it hard to use that program for some reason... :S), and then sound editing software like Gold Wave and Audacity to make some odd music.
(All these programs combined depending on what I was trying to make.)

Gold Wave is not a free software but you can use it for a very lengthy period of time. (It will just start bugging you to buy the soft ware after so many clicks of editing. So I would save often then when it starts to do that just reset the program. Would be a long time before it starts bugging though, usually finish all my editing before it starts to bug me.)

Fruity Loops: last time I knew it wasn't free. (I didn't use it often so I can't remember how it acted.)

Anvil Studio is free forever but if you want added stuff you would have to pay for those. (Last time I knew.)

Audacity: I don't remember if this is free or not but I'm not having anything thats bugging that I can't use it any more or something. (Probably free.)
This program can be used to rip music off of other sites or background sound. Just don't make any other sounds while it is playing other wise it will pick that up too. The volume of your computer also effects it.

Thank you very much ^____^! This helped me a lot x3.

I've used Goldwave before. I needed it for some batch converting, and I used it to edit out some words from the Pink Floyd song 'Money' so I could bring it into school for a project :3.

Fruity Loops isn't free, sadly D8!

I'm trying Anvil Studio now :3.

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

I'm trying Anvil Studio now :3.

Like I said before though its crappy and more instrumental. (Like Flutes ect. ect.)
But it was a program I used with digital music creating. I manipulated it to sound a lot different than it does on that program.
There is still a lot that even I don't know about that program even though I have used it for a few years.
If you want a sample on a song I made, with a friend's help, with it I can link you. (Just the program alone)
Then I have some experimental stuff that I can also link you that involves that program with manipulation. (Scary sounds)

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition
I'm currently trying out FruityLoops, but it's baffling me. XD If anyone can offer tips on that program I'd be quite grateful.
However... I'm looking for a program that can generate more realistic orchestral sounds, not just synthesizers. Does anyone know of any programs that can do this? Preferably one that doesn't take days to learn? If so, do they offer trial software?
Thanks for any help you can give.
NNR07, sorry I can't help you with this, but it looks like we're in the same boat! I'll at least wish you the absolute best of luck with your melodic endeavors. :D

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

I'm currently trying out FruityLoops, but it's baffling me. XD If anyone can offer tips on that program I'd be quite grateful.
However... I'm looking for a program that can generate more realistic orchestral sounds, not just synthesizers. Does anyone know of any programs that can do this? Preferably one that doesn't take days to learn? If so, do they offer trial software?
Thanks for any help you can give.
NNR07, sorry I can't help you with this, but it looks like we're in the same boat! I'll at least wish you the absolute best of luck with your melodic endeavors. :D

I wouldn't say Anvil Studio produces exact orchestral sounds but its possible can be manipulated to be closer to it. (It is more orchestral but it sounds synthesized. Much worse than Fruity Loops does.)
Either way I doubt you would be able to find something that doesn't take days to learn.
I think that this is a decent program to start with until you either find a better one or something like that.
(Anvil Studio to Fruity Loops. Fruity Loops being the best you can get right now.)

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

NNR07, sorry I can't help you with this, but it looks like we're in the same boat! I'll at least wish you the absolute best of luck with your melodic endeavors. :)

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, and want something quick and easy without note-making, Music 2000 might be a nice step. However, I don't think TRiPPY allows music that uses samples for NiD.com's fan music section...

I'm interested in something more like Music 2000. Don't get me wrong, I know music notes well, but... just... well... not well enough D8!

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Music 2000 sounds a but like EJay.

If you want something like that, that can become decent if you want it to, Garage Band would probably suit, and comes with a great range of samples. Unfortunately I think it might be mac only: http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

Unfortunately, in terms of free software, a lot of the time what you pay for is what you get, and a lot of stuff takes quite a bit of time to learn. If you're not going to pirate, I recommend keeping an eye on the music production magazines. Sometimes they offer free versions of older software on their coverdiscs as well as samples, and you might just find what you need for only a few quid that way.

PS, I can't hear the phrase Music 2000 without thinking of this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q8utXy5_q6Q

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
Alright.

Mixcraft is similar to GarageBand and Music2000, and it's for Windows. It's shareware, but it's worth the money x3.:

I did a Sample Song. I'll upload it later.

Maki Izumii

Maki Izumii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, and want something quick and easy without note-making, Music 2000 might be a nice step. However, I don't think TRiPPY allows music that uses samples for NiD.com's fan music section...

I'm interested in something more like Music 2000. Don't get me wrong, I know music notes well, but... just... well... not well enough D8!

Are you kidding? Most of the beats to DiGi's songs are beats he got off Ejay, IIRC. I dunno if they're still up, but also IIRC, TRiPPY's music is also done with samples. Either way though, considering how hard/expensive it is to produce your own high quality samples, I'm pretty sure it'd be fine.

FL Studio/Fruityloops is one of the better music packages I've worked with for sure, but it has a pretty steep learnig curve to those who are relatively new. I dunno if it's still around, but if you can get your hands on a program called Acid music, that might be a help. I remember having loads of fun with that in high school music.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Are you kidding? Most of the beats to DiGi's songs are beats he got off Ejay, IIRC. I dunno if they're still up, but also IIRC, TRiPPY's music is also done with samples. Either way though, considering how hard/expensive it is to produce your own high quality samples, I'm pretty sure it'd be fine.

FL Studio/Fruityloops is one of the better music packages I've worked with for sure, but it has a pretty steep learnig curve to those who are relatively new. I dunno if it's still around, but if you can get your hands on a program called Acid music, that might be a help. I remember having loads of fun with that in high school music.

Ah. Did not know that at all >>.

Anyway, ACID 8D! I got that from a friend awhile ago... I really should try it sometime...

Edit: Song.: http://uploadfile.org/download.php?id=g7dCe8vh6hGXLLVhBClt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users