Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Music recommendations

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
I think a lot of us has been in the situation where we find an awesome song or band, and would really love to hear more like it but have no idea where to look. I know I end up there more than I'd like.

That's what this thread is for. State what kind of music you're looking for, recommend music to others that are looking, or both.

I'll go first then, shall I?

Recently I got really into late 70's punk. Sex Pistols and the Clash are among my favourites, while Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees aren't really the kind of sound I'm looking for.
I'm generally looking for music that resembles Sex Pistols and the Clash, be it old or new.

Any recommendations? :3

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
70's punk huh? Well, since you said Sex Pistols, the first guy to almost immediately come to my mind was Billy Idol. Many of his well known songs were a little more poppy than Sex Pistols but then again so was some of The Clash's later stuff (Rock the Casbah anyone?). A group I highly recommend checking out is Dead Kennedys. They're virtually essential to any punk fan's collection. Be sure to give their stuff a glance and decide for yourself if you like it.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
I seem to really be into My Chemical Romance. If you like some hard rock then you would love "This Is How I Dissapear", "The Sharpest Lives", and "Mama."

Also, I am not a big fan of No Doubt, but I do love their songs SpiderWeb and Don't Speak Both make me think of NiGHTS into dreams but for different reasons. When I was little and I heard SpiderWeb I always thoguht of Clairs running in a giant Spiderweb. Then Don't speak makes me think of NiGHTS X Reala for some reason. (I know, why isn't info like this in the playlist secton. Because I don't have 10 songs that all pertain to the same exact topic.)

Also...a really good band is Heart. One of there most well know songs is Crazy On You. When you hear the song though you need to fast forward about 38 seconds because the beginning of the song sounds really weird.

Oh, does anyone know a good place for me to upload my music files besides putfile? I can't keep these songs up there much longer because they will take it down pretty quick.

foxboy39

foxboy39

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
My favorite artists right now are Gorillaz, Coldplay and Timbaland.

Gorillaz are unique. They cover so many genres of music on their albums, from Alternative to Pop to Rap, etc. I recommend listening to "Feel Good Inc.", "Kids With Guns" (Weird title, VERY GOOD song), "19-2000" (One of their older works, but still good), "Dare", "Dirty Harry", and "19-2000 (Soul Child Mix)".

Coldplay is an Alternative band from England. They've created hits songs, including "Clocks", "Speed of Sound", "Yellow", "Fix You", and "The Scientist." I really like their second album, "X&Y"; the songs are really good and catchy, although some are faster than others, it is a great listen if you have spare time.

Timbaland is a producer/rapper who has some legal disputes with cpoyright issues (He doesn't give credit for sampling). Even though of these disputes, he has produced really great songs, like "The Way I Are", "Give It To Me", and lots of other songs for other people, the most noticeable out of those people being Justin Timberlake. I really like his album "Shock Value"; IMO, I think it's gonna win the Best Hip-Hop/Rap Album Grammy next year.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Try listening to some of these:

Coldplay: I know it was already mentioned, but it deserves a second praising session. :lol: They are an awesome alternative Brit band, maker of many popular songs like 'Clocks' and 'Speed of Sound'. They have a great sound to them, especially their guitar, which is ghostly and eerie, yet has a comforting feel to it. Suprisingly, I seem to enjoy the less popular songs they put out.

Incubus: They take hard rock, mix in some alternative, and soup it up with great lyrics, and hand you a delicious meal of music greatness. I haven't kept up with their latest album, but the music I do have is all good.

Fischerspooner: A great electronica group, which takes modern synth and mixes it with rock and classical. Their albums are a little over-priced though, from my experience. :lol:

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
I listen to a lot of oldies rock stuff.

A lot of stuff probably won't stick out to most people, except one band.:

Pink Floyd.

Very awesome psychedelic band. Nice music. Awesome albums. Good to listen to at night with no lights on when you're lonely. Or listen to it while looking into a kyledescope. Especially "Dark Side of the Moon" 83. Always reminds me of the NiD OST cover XD!

DREAMiNF

DREAMiNF

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Location:British Columbia, Otherwise known as Hell Recreated
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Final Fantasy, Guitar, and thats about it XD
Oh Me Turn!

Children of Bodom: Their a really good Metal band, lots of sync from the guitars and piano, but I wont really suggest it to anyone who hates screaming vocals (because theres alot). I Recommend listening to; Children of Decadence, Bodom After Midnight, Needled 24/7.

Rage Against The Machine: One of my all time favorite bands :D, the sound of their music came from Rap and scary sounding guitar effects. I recommend listening to; Testify, Killing in the name, Bulls on parade.

Edit: So NNR07, if we play "The Dark Side of the Moon" over NiGHTS into Dreams as a soundtrack, it will snyc up?

Maki Izumii

Maki Izumii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
XD Whee Music!
-I recently got back into my favourite band from high school, Reel Big Fish. They're a ska/punk band that don't take themselves too seriously. I love em, probably one of my favourite bands full stop.
-A good group of dudes to listen to late at night (or right on dusk, for some reason), Porcupine Tree is a really hard band to categorize. Kind progressive rock (think Pink Floyd) but not. Really mellow, kinda melancholy, and really bittersweet. My favourite track has to be 'Trains'. Won't be to everyone's tastes, but to those who are, check out Steven Wilson's other major music project, Blackfield- it's a lot more melody-focused than Porcupine Tree, and has the same kind of feeling to it.
-Alex (Louis) got me into The Go! Team and they've cemented a firm place in my itunes. Lots of really FUN music that reminds me of a cheesy american high school movie.
-IRON MAIDEN *snort* classic metal band. I've been listening to them a lot over the past few days mainly because they're touring here and I couldn't afford tickets (cry). Anyone who likes metal shouldn't be without this lot in their playlist!
-Rhapsody. Epic metal. Pretty much, Geeks rocking out about marching to war and other metal things. Awesome if you don't take it seriously XD Also has orchestra in it :D
-Dragonforce: Again, one of those bands you SHOULD NOT EVER TAKE SERIOUSLY. Again, a bunch of geeks rocking out about slaying dragons, except this time, it's backed by so much guitar wankery it isn't funny XD HAVE NO FEAR, SWORDS ARE MADE OF STEEL! *snorts* these guys crack me up.
-Genki Rockets!! They only have two singles out at the moment (heavenly star and breeze) but they're both lovely. There's also a story behind them which rocks and when they performed at live earth, they used HOLOGRAMS and LASERBEAMS and I would have paid to see that D:

Can't think of anything else at the moment, though there's heaps more stuff (muse, tool, nightwish, foo fighters various game soundtracks, etc) but yeah XD I'm in a more metal mood at the moment. <.<

(edit: Most of these bands have a myspace page so GO LISTEN TO THEIR STUFF!)

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
Not entirely sure what other bands similar to the Sex Pistols and The Clash or other 70's punk that are recommendable. As Zero noted, the Dead Kennedys aren't bad. Had a friend back in high school that was an absolute nut for The Misfits - but I'm not too familiar with their sound or if that's in the same area as you're looking for.

Random thing that came to mind today while drawing:

- If you like Fear Factory, chances are In Flames will fit right into your collection without being too out of place. Most of their songs are pretty good, though their newer stuff seems to have taken on a bit of a nu-metal sound. I haven't followed them all too closely to really justify that statement, so take it with a grain of salt. In Flames' "Clayman" is probably one of the more Fear Factory-sounding albums I'm familiar with, or at least based on the sound FF had throughout Obsolete and in their prior albums (I wasn't terribly thrilled with Digimortal and the proceeding albums they've released.. Archetype wasn't horrible, but .. ).
Noteworthy and recommended songs: 'Dialogue with the Stars,' 'Colony,' 'Pinball Map,' 'Swim,' and 'Man Made God.'

MidgitLD

MidgitLD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Call me crazy (or just dirt poor), but I'm a big video game music fan. Granted, I like "actual" music as well, but everyone seems to cover them before me anyway. XD So I shall cover that which is not covered!

Raiding Galbadia Hotel is a nice hot spot for some official and not so official soundtracks of games and anime alike. However, if you're into taking a new look at that which is old, I HIGHLY recommend OverClockedRemix.org.

...and if you don't know about OCR, then you NEED to go there NOW. A fan album remixing various FFVII songs called "Voices of the Lifesteam" was recently released about a week or so ago. They have links on the mainpage. A few artists who are the utter BOMB to look up are pixietricks, bLiNd, sgx, Harmony (don't let the name fool you, it's a guy), and the guy who started the whole OCR mess - djpretzel himself!

For the anime remixing scene, check out OCR's "sister site" - AnimeRemix.org. It's also run by djpretzel and you're sure to see some familiar names from OCR there as well.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
I knew about OCR, but haven't been there since... forever? ._. AnimeRemix on the other hand was news to me. Thank you!

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Actually, I love video game soundtracks too. I especially love love the Homeworld Soundtrack, Half-Life 2 soundtrack, and the NiD soundtrack. (duh)

Maki Izumii

Maki Izumii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
;) I have a lot of zelda soundtracks, as well as rhythm game soundtracks (such as ouendan, lumines and gitaroo man). Also, the Katamari soundtracks are always worth a listen :D

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I love game soundtracks myself. Here are some of mine.

All the Tekken soundtracks
Killer 7
God Hand
Several Castlevania CDs
Soul Calibur 2 & 3
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
Devil May Cry 3
Phoenix Wright (all)

I just recently picked up the first season of Metalocalypse. Can anybody think of other Metal bands with a similar sound to Dethklok?

kidninja

kidninja

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:video games, imports, marksmenship, samurai, ninjas, monkeys,technical misc stuff, NiGHTS, sonic, megaman, diffrent anime, and Gintama.
The gorillaz rock!!!! and foxboy u forgot to mention "Clint Eastwood" and "El Manana" (favorite band)
Also for some reason i never really got into sum 41 but there songs "Makes no Diffrence" and "Hell song rock"
"Me vs the world" by madina lake I think and Hoobstanks "Without a fight" are also good rock songs

The wise Kitsune

The wise Kitsune

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, music, yeah
Learn to Fly, Everlong, Monkey Wrench, Big me - Foo Fighters

Yyz - Rush

Less talk, more rokk (Thats how its spelled) - Freezepop

Hime Blue

Hime Blue

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just...<br /><br />don't ask and it might be better for you. Might be better not to know...
I have a couple reccomendations.

-Within Temptation. Seems to be a band that is quite unknown to most people, the members are Dutch and the music they put out is excellent. (I seem to like "Hand of Sorrow" and "Blue Eyes" right now...) Their sound is much like something you'd hear in a fantasy/adventure movie with that definite dark feel to some of the songs. Their era from The Silent Force on seems to be the best (personal opinion), Mother Earth is alright but not the best CD I've ever heard, then again it was their first CD.
-BlutEngel. German darkwave/gothic band with some amazing (if at times a bit suggestive) songs. (I reccomend "The Oxidising Angel" and "Go to Hell?".) I'd definitely say to steer clear of the last song on Child of Glass--sounds a bit like the band members were having, uh, a hard time deciding on a song to pick, and put together the most disturbing, wrong thing they could think of.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

Edit: So NNR07, if we play "The Dark Side of the Moon" over NiGHTS into Dreams as a soundtrack, it will snyc up?

... maybe... ;3.

xD; The 'Dark Side of the Rainbow' is really cool 8D! I love synchronicity ^_____^!

ViSiON

ViSiON

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computers, lucid dreaming.
I'm a big fan of European speed metal. The kind of bands whose music is very melodic, and "epic" if you will. Here are my favorites, in no particular order...

Dragonforce
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody of Fire
Nocturnal Rites
Nightwish
Manowar

I also love video game soundtracks too! Here are some of my favorite series, again in no particular order...

Legend of Zelda
Jet Set Radio
Ys
Panzer Dragoon
NiGHTS (of course)
Yggdra Union
Riviera the Promised Land
Castlevania
Sonic the Hedgehog
Dragon Force

Xay

Xay

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Location:Scenic Chavland, United Kindom. Just passed the Burned Cars...
  • Interests:Composing/Writing/Getting Inspired by/Listening AND Criticising music, drawing, reading, comics, cartoon, playing video ga... You get the idea.
AHA! I am a HUGE Videogame Music Buff, from the Early Days to the Preasent Time. I shall reccomend a few of ym Personal Favorites-

The Splatterhouse Games- Dated, Maybe, but these games have a Soundtrack that SCREAMS 80's B-Movie, witch was Namco's Intent... The Final Boss theme from the First Game Ranks up in Place No. 3 on my Top 30 Final Boss Themes of all time.

Daytona USA 2- Battle on the Edge- Much, much, MUCH Better then D USA 1's soundtrack by Far... This Soundtracks music is Light-Key Rock (Think the musical style of Sonic's theme in SA1, And Tails theme is SA 1/2 nd you've hit the Nail on the Head!)... The Kind you'd expect to hear from Sega back in the Day. Sling Shot and I Can Do It are absolutly ESSENTAIL To not just a Videogame Music Nut like me, but ANYONE's Music Collection!

The House of the Dead Series- This one is gonna be long, so get ready for it...

Let me set the rocord Straight- i LOVE the THOTD Games. I ALWAYS Look out for them at Arcades. And all 4 of them have Varied, but wonderful Music Styles.

THOTD 1/2- They Both have similer Styles of music in Retrospect. But it's hard to put a Name on it... The best way i can find to Describe it is Typical Creepy Music with Rock Influences. The Opening Theme from the first game is really the only Diferent Example from the others, witch is Similer to THOTD 3's style... Horror-Movie Orchestral Music. It's also noted that this Opening Theme is pretty much A Classic by this point to those that remember the game Fondly... Like myself =P. The Second Games Opening, while Less Memerable, also had a Certain Own-Style to it that didn't fit with most of the soundtrack, but it's still fairly nice.

THOTD 3- Very Different this time around the Bend... The music here is Very Orchestral, for the most part. There are a few Exceptions, and some have more Electronica-Styled Percussion to go along with the Usual Melody. Not the Best Soundtrack in the Series, but once again, it has a Nice Opening theme =D

THOTD 4- Now here is where Sega went All-Out. VERY Different Music here, much, much, Much different. It's mostly All Electronica Music, ranging From Trance to Garage to Grunge, And is the first in the series to have Official NAMES for the song's Since THOTD 2. A lot of it is Fairly Mediocre, but their are a Few Exceptions... Namely, "He's Still Alive", The Opening Theme (Witch is just plain Crazy and has to be Heard to be Belived), "Dawn (ReMix of Year Seventh)", a ReMix of "Dawn", Chapter 5's Music from THOTD 2, and one of my Personal Favorite Videogame songs Ever, "Bullet of Death (Gauge)", and "Give it All Ya Got!!", The absolutly Stunning Final Battle Theme.

Vampire Night- Another Sega Shooter, but THIS Time they teamed up with Namco, the Other King of Shooters. The Combo works very, very nicely, and the Game is a Marvel. Sure, the Graphics of THOTD 4 are more recent, but they do not looks as Beutiful as ANY of the levels or Enemies in Vampire Night... But what of the Music, you ask? I'll put it bluntly... There is only ONE SINGLE PEICE OF MUSIC on the Whole Soundtrack with I don't like, but that's from a Personal Veiw... The Music is friggin' Awesome. A Combo of Techno, Dance, Orchestral, Choir, Organ and Stunning Piano work... And no, i do NOT Mean a different stlye Each song, i acctualy mean that pretty much Every song on this Soundtrack has at least 3 of those Styles/Genres mixed together, and it's Genius! My personal Favorites are, Chapter 4's theme (witch only gets heard for a Short Time, sadly...), Chapter 5's Theme, Chapter 5's Boss, Diane (AKA, as the Opening calls her, "The Queen Of Ice", AKA Again, Half Mermaid, Half Vampire) Chapter 6's Short-Pre Scene Music... And the remarkable, Unbeatable Second Form of the Final Boss, Aguste's (AKA, As the Opening Calls him, "The Vampire") Music... Witch just Plain Rules and is GAURENTED to pump your Adrenaline!

I'll have More Eventualy! You can dowload pretty much All of the THOTD Music of Galbadia Hotel, and the Splatterhouse Music of of The West Mansion... but as for the Vampire Night Music, no dice =( I DO have some recordings from the Game, with Most Recordings Having Multiple Songs, but they aren't very Clear. I shall send them to anyone willing to give them a listen regardless, Just PM Me.

foxboy39

foxboy39

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Call me crazy (or just dirt poor), but I'm a big video game music fan. Granted, I like "actual" music as well, but everyone seems to cover them before me anyway. XD So I shall cover that which is not covered!

Raiding Galbadia Hotel is a nice hot spot for some official and not so official soundtracks of games and anime alike. However, if you're into taking a new look at that which is old, I HIGHLY recommend OverClockedRemix.org.

...and if you don't know about OCR, then you NEED to go there NOW. A fan album remixing various FFVII songs called "Voices of the Lifesteam" was recently released about a week or so ago. They have links on the mainpage. A few artists who are the utter BOMB to look up are pixietricks, bLiNd, sgx, Harmony (don't let the name fool you, it's a guy), and the guy who started the whole OCR mess - djpretzel himself!

For the anime remixing scene, check out OCR's "sister site" - AnimeRemix.org. It's also run by djpretzel and you're sure to see some familiar names from OCR there as well.

Whoa. I finally found another person who goes to OCR! I love OCR; it has the greatest remixes of all my favorite games, like Sonic 2 and 3, and others. From OCR, I recommend "Green Hill Euroclub '95 Mix" by Rayza (Sonic the Hedgehog), "A New Ray of Light" by S|r NuTs and Sadorf (from Sonic Triple Trouble) and "The Outer Space Machine" by Rellik (Doomsday Zone from Sonic 3). BTW, if you didn't notice, those examples are all from Sonic games. =P

I've been listening to more RnB/Soul and Alternative music, and I have to say, out of the two categories, modern (recent; when i say modern/recent, I mean as recent as one year ago) songs that stood out from are "Misery Business" by Paramore, "Circle" by Marques Houston, and "Call to Arms" by Angels and Airwaves (AVA), "Wall to Wall" and "Kiss Kiss", both of them are by Chris Brown (awesome beat in both songs!). Definitely check these songs out, they are definitely songs that you should give a listen to.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
I've been getting steadilly more obsessed with Hardcore Punk over the last few years and have mainly been listening to the Distillers, F-Minus and Leftover Crack. I've been meaning to try out the Dead Kennedys and Misfits, but does anyone have any more similar recommendations?
Generally I like fast, heavy songs with strong vocals.
Thanks for any assistance!

Also, on the note of awesome game soundtracks, y'all should try out Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection's OST. Surprisingly great soundtrack.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Also, on the note of awesome game soundtracks, y'all should try out Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection's OST. Surprisingly great soundtrack.

Haha. Scroll up a few posts mate. I have it in my collection already, along with every other Tekken soundtrack in existence. I've heard them all and I'd go so far as to say Tekken 5 on the whole has the best soundtrack in the series period. I especially love Ground Zero Funk.

Xay

Xay

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Location:Scenic Chavland, United Kindom. Just passed the Burned Cars...
  • Interests:Composing/Writing/Getting Inspired by/Listening AND Criticising music, drawing, reading, comics, cartoon, playing video ga... You get the idea.

Haha. Scroll up a few posts mate. I have it in my collection already, along with every other Tekken soundtrack in existence. I've heard them all and I'd go so far as to say Tekken 5 on the whole has the best soundtrack in the series period. I especially love Ground Zero Funk.

Im going to go out on s Limb and Disagree. After being a Loyal Tekken Player for years, i have to admit my personal Favorite would be the Tekken 2 Soundtrack... BOTH The Original and PSOne Arrange OST's. Especialy "Be in the Mirror"... AKA, Devils Music.*

How anyone can NOT love that i can't understand. It's one of the cases where a "Not-Overly-Epic" Song works best for the Final Confrontation.

Kraken

Kraken

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Running (Cross Country), video games (especially NiGHTS, of course), and other various things.
Nightwish makes up about half my Ipod (the other half are songs from various other artists or games)...I cant really seem to find any bands I like. Aside from Nightwish, I only regularly listen to Crush 40 (good running music, really, even though most of the songs were designed specifically for Sonic. ...I guess that works, though, on second thought) and Dragonforce (fast paced). I cant seem to find anyone that can quite compare to Nightwish though. Wonderful lyrics, melodies, everything.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I'll make a recommendation or 2. Or maybe even 3.

Guns N' Roses: Good hard rock band from the late 80's and early 90's. Although these days they are making an awesome comeback with their new line up. A good bit of their stuff contains a bit of foul language, but the songs are still awesome.

Led Zeppelin: Great band that started in the 60's. They had one of the greatest drummers of all time, by the name of John Bonham. Unfortunately, alcohol did him in. Also, they too broke up. Last December though, they did a reunion show in London.

Nickelback: A good modern rock band. They're pretty popular right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users