Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Doctor Who

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime & manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Okie doke, I've just started to come down from a particularly strong Doctor fandom-high, and I'm wondering if there are any fellow Who-ligans here. :3 My parents watched Doctor Who as I went to bed as a child, so I've kinda grown up with it. But after following the adventures of Nine and Ten, I'm getting more and more interested! What'd I miss out on?? (Jelly babies, for one... LOL)

So I put it out to you guys now! Anyone enjoy/despise the newer series? The show in general? Looking forward to the next season? Favorite Doctors? Companions? Storylines? Have fun!

DylanJohn

DylanJohn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm a big fan of the Doctor.

Six is my favourite, but Tennant was really good this year. Really like what I've seen of Tom Baker's stuff, liked Sylvester McCoy, and didn't mind what I've seen of the first Doctor. As a general rule, I like all of it (despite having seen nothing of 2, 3, or 5). Peri's my favourite companion (can't imagine why <.<).

Can't wait 'til December. But then there's the wait between the Christmas special and the season proper next year! They really should just make it all year round...

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I'm actually new to the series. Yes. Shame on me. I just never had the CHANCE to watch the older stuff, but now I'm interested.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
All is forgiven, NeoKairi. ;3 I actually have a link to some of the older shows if you're interested and have the time! My dad just discovered this site - all I need is a free weekend and lousy weather...!

I'm a fairly new fan myself, with Chris Eccleston piquing my interest first, and David Tennant's wild personality on-screen roping me in. Not to mention all the history I've missed! Davros, the Eternals, other Time Wars, where the original Cybermen came from, and all of the Doctors and their personalities and companions! To keep a show running for so flipping long is amazing. It's gotta be good!

And no, I can't wait for Christmas either, nor for the actual season to kick into gear. *pout* Still, there's always that CG-ish little series to peek at, that's on TV Links as well..

(Did I mention that my younger sister's initials spell "Ace"? No mistake. X3)

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

I'm a fairly new fan myself, with Chris Eccleston piquing my interest first, and David Tennant's wild personality on-screen roping me in.

Lol :lol:

MYSTiCCOOKiE

MYSTiCCOOKiE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Costumes, sewing and petsites ^^
Yay!
I'm totally Who crazed ^^" I never watched the classic series because we were living in Germany then and they didn't show it, but my parents used to watch it as kids (the whole hiding behind the sofa, dalek thing).
So I started watching when Chris Eccleston started. I'm totally addicted. I always have to watch Doctor Who confidential and the rerun the next day.
I even watched that stupid kiddies "Totally Doctor Who" when they were showing The Infinite Quest :3

The new season was awesome especially the last 3 eps. Martha was a really good new companion ^^ Kori have you seen it yet? I don't want to spoil anything.

I dunno if you get Torchwood? I watched that when it was on and it was soo bad D: There were a few ok eps but the rest was junk. I'll be watching it again this year though because I don't want to miss out on anything that might have to do with the new season of DW, like last year with the Doctors hand D:

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Doctor Who is like my biggest obsession ever =D I got into it after nine's debut (I wasn't alive for the classic series. I was born in the wrong decade! XD) And I've been completely hooked ever since. I absolutely love the new series, and the classic series is good as well, houghnot -as- good I don't think.

I'm not too keen on Torchwood though D= It's OK but it's just so 'Look! We have a post watershed timeslot! WOO!' ¬_¬ I lovd the Sarah Jane special thingie though, can't wait for the series, hehe.

MYSTiCCOOKiE

MYSTiCCOOKiE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I'm not too keen on Torchwood though D= It's OK but it's just so 'Look! We have a post watershed timeslot! WOO!' ¬_¬

Yeah it's like "it's for adults, so we have to throw a lot of blood around and have a load of sex scenes even if it doesn't fit in at all!" D: I'm an adult and I'd prefer not to have to watch that ._."

Who has seen the Blink episode in the new season? That was so scary but a really really really good episode! Definatley one of my favourites!

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Martha's a great companion! She put up with so much to help the Doctor, and terrifically clever to boot! She was awesome during Season 3's final episodes! Say, that reminds me, I heard that Kylie Minogue is slated to be his next companion, is that true? XD And I wonder if we'll ever see Rose again..?

Blink was GREAT! Interesting, clever wraparound plot, and full of suspense! There are plenty of statues downtown though, so now I can't help wondering... luckily, none of them are weeping angels. ^^;

I haven't seen much/any of Torchwood, precisely because of how adult it is. Who'd'a thunk a Doctor Who spin-off would turn out that way? Yeah, Jack's a bit promiscuous, but still! LOL At least they explained a few tie-ins during Season 3, like the hand and Jack's state of being. (His poster boy nickname! I just about died laughing!!)

What I love is watching all these new shows with my parents. "Dalek" and "School Reunion" were particularly exciting eps to watch with them - my mom feels that Sarah Jane has seen justice now! :P And my dad went snake when the Cybermen AND the Daleks showed up at the same time! They pick up and point out all the little things that we new fans might miss. It's fantastic!

MYSTiCCOOKiE

MYSTiCCOOKiE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Martha's a great companion! She put up with so much to help the Doctor, and terrifically clever to boot! She was awesome during Season 3's final episodes! Say, that reminds me, I heard that Kylie Minogue is slated to be his next companion, is that true? XD And I wonder if we'll ever see Rose again..?

I know I really liked Martha ^^ It's a shame she didn't stay around, but I can understand it. I heard she's going to be joining Torchwood now D:
Yessss Kylie is going to be in the Christmas Special xD That so awesome! But next season Donna is back again. I didn't really like Donna (not being a fan of Cathrine Tate anyway, she's always shouting) but I hope they'll flesh out her part a bit more and she wont "try" to be funny. bah. Oh and Martha's supposed to be back for the second part of the season. But she's in a relationship then or something...
I doubt Rose will come back, Billie Piper seems to be so busy now, she's popping up in programs all over the place. Plus it wouldn't work in the story...kinda...would it? It was an accident they even got into the parallel London, so he can't get back again.

BUT the Master must return!! x3

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Yeah it's like "it's for adults, so we have to throw a lot of blood around and have a load of sex scenes even if it doesn't fit in at all!" D: I'm an adult and I'd prefer not to have to watch that ._."

Who has seen the Blink episode in the new season? That was so scary but a really really really good episode! Definatley one of my favourites!

God, I know! It was so fake most of the time.

As for Blink, I have a gargoyle on my house. -fear- That was an amazing story, Sally would've made a great great companion. And on companions- Martha was awesome and win. She'll hopefuly not get screwed up in
Spoiler

Can't wait for
Spoiler
(s4 spoiler) either!

Personally, I loved the last 2 episodes of series 3- though most people seem to hate them =p

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Why are you spoilering those? The BBC went so far as to talk about them on the news, they're very much out in the open.

A real spoiler would be
Spoiler
or
Spoiler
oh and
Spoiler
. Now THOSE are spoilers.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Better safe than sorry, just in case someone hasn't seen it all yet. :3 Still, it has been a while...

The Master always returns. HE MUST. Or he wouldn't be the Master, now would he? Of course, I also wonder if the Doctor will find other Time Lords/Ladies. Maybe Susan's still kicking around? Heh, "impossible" just isn't possible in the Doctor's world!

As for Rose, I can only imagine her as the type to not give up so easily. If she's working with Torchwood in parallel London, then there's a chance (albeit ridiculously slim) that she'll find a way back. Or hey! What about parallel Gallifrey? X3 But myeh, Donna... she was okaaaaaay-ish, if she's gonna be a more regular character, I hope she's got a less abrasive personality.. I'm not familiar with Catherine, so I'll hafta wait and see and hope for the best!

ROTFL!! Louis, if
Spoiler
really is gonna show, I'm gonna laugh so freakin' hard! I always associate him with
Spoiler

AYRiES.. whatever you do, DON'T LOOK AWAY. Don't even blink. These creatures are fast, faster than fast..! 8D

catchan2007

catchan2007

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Drawing<br />Writing<br />Anime/manga (Fav titles include D. Gray-man, Buso Renkin, Gurren Lagann and a few more but if I typed it all out, there'd be no space left!!)
I sometimes watch Doctor Who but i'm not a massive fan of it. One of my friends on the other hand is a MASSIVE fangirl and she adores Rose (and the latest Doctor). She and another girl completely blasted me when i said that i prefered Martha over Rose and i'm too scared to talk about Doctor Who with her around ^-^;

MYSTiCCOOKiE

MYSTiCCOOKiE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Really Louis? I didn't know that. That's kinda cool that
Spoiler
...maybe we'll actually get to see more of the inside of the tardis. I've always wondered what it looks like ^_^
And
Spoiler
? Seems like everybody is a secret Who fan xD

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Want a few more spoilers while I'm at it, only the first two of these are confirmed, the rest are just from various sources out there (sometimes the cast).

1)
Spoiler

2)
Spoiler

3)
Spoiler

4)
Spoiler

5)
Spoiler

EDIT - Also confirmed just a few minutes ago, there will be no series for 2009, rather three tv specials through the year, then the full 5th season will air in 2010. Tenant and RTD are on board, one can speculate that this has been done to keep Tennant while he starts in Hamlet and Loves Labour Lost in the theater through the second half of 2008 and the first half of 2009.

Shame RTD is till on board though, I wanted Moffat. He's the talented writer. :(

Also, internet sez "more at midnight", so god knows what they'll be announcing then.

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting
my English teacher forced it upon us :P
Of couse, living in America, I have to watch it on the BBC america. anyways, I only recently fell in love with this stuff

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I own a number of DVDs of the old series and like them quite much. I intend to knit myself a Tom Baker-era scarf at some point.

I shamefully have not yet seen the new series or Torchwood. T_T

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic the hedgehog, anime, manga, drawing, books, photoshop, j-pop and rock, reading and writing fanfiction, cooking and lots of other stuff....... ^_^
My husband and I are big Doctor Who fans. My husband prefers the new series and I prefer the classic ones (Old style cybermen FTW!) David Tennant likes to show his teeth far too much for my liking. He reminds me of a mechanic or plumber who is drawing in a breath before they tell you how expensive something's going to be "Oooooooh, s'gonna cost 'ya!" <_<
My husband also likes Torchwood, while I think it's a bit crap. Too much gratuitous sex and swearing. It's like they're saying "Look at us! We're grown up!"

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
uh, I gotta get around to seeing the classics. I have really no intrest in watching torchwood. last saturday I was watching Dr. Who and my Dad comes in, watchs it for awhile, then says: "okkkkk what is this?" he was too weirded out

And,uh, *cough*IhaveAcrushOntheCurrentDr.*cough*

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
I was curious.. how big IS Doctor Who in America?

Also, I think Torchwood is kinda funny though a lot of it is completely naff. I actualy watch it more that Doctor Who >_> (probably because thats around the same time we all sit down to eat dinner lol)

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

I was curious.. how big IS Doctor Who in America?

not very big. Whenever I ask someone about it, they just say "You mean, Dr. Phil?" So far I've found only one adult I know who reconizes Dr. Who (my Grandpa :) )

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Doctor Who isn't big in America at all, but I watch it sometimes with my dad who watched it as a kid.

Is Torchwood supposed to be a rearranging of Doctor Who, or was it just coincidence, I've never watched it by the way because I get scared easily and the commercials are freaky.

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic the hedgehog, anime, manga, drawing, books, photoshop, j-pop and rock, reading and writing fanfiction, cooking and lots of other stuff....... ^_^
Torchwood is a direct spin off from Doctor Who, sharing some of the characters (so far Jack Harkness and Martha Jones) and the two series often mention each other.

The only thing I would be afraid of Mitsuu, is the crappy acting!

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
I would have replied earlier to this thread if I wasn't so busy...

Anyway, I'm a pretty diehard but new fan of Doctor Who. Most of the time, I'm reluctant to share my obsession of the new Doctor Who to those who live in the UK, because I'm usually responded to with, "It's okay, but the old series is better."

Apparently Torchwood has been...viewed by UK critics as...well...horrible. It should, by no means, be compared to Doctor Who. It is NOTHING like Doctor Who. It doesn't ATTEMPT to be like Doctor Who. I'm even cautious to call it a "spin-off". I like to refer to it as "another show that happens in the same reality." It's grungier, dirtier, and sexier than Doctor Who, which tries to be "family friendly" and still gets kids to hide behind their couches*. Torchwood, on the other hand, has NO boundaries.

Doctor Who isn't popular at all in the US. I attend a pretty large school (1200+ students) and earlier this year, during Spirit Week, the junior class was given "Dress Up As Your Favourite TV Show Day". I made a mini-Tardis out of a milk carton and wore it on my head. Only one person knew who what it was, and that was my US History teacher. Ironic, no?

*Doctor Who is not "family friendly" by American standards, however. We're just too Victorian to find British humor funny. I'm one of the exceptions, though...you'll notice that I even spell some words in British fashion, by mere habit.

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Apparently Torchwood has been...viewed by UK critics as...well...horrible. It should, by no means, be compared to Doctor Who. It is NOTHING like Doctor Who. It doesn't ATTEMPT to be like Doctor Who. I'm even cautious to call it a "spin-off". I like to refer to it as "another show that happens in the same reality." It's grungier, dirtier, and sexier than Doctor Who, which tries to be "family friendly" and still gets kids to hide behind their couches*. Torchwood, on the other hand, has NO boundaries.

Pretty much. It shouldn't be compared to Doctor Who directly.
Doctor Who is a very innocent, family oriented show (even though some of the episodes are a bit scary for kids by my standards) Whereas Torchwood goes out of it's way to try to be raunchy and appeal to an adult audience.
It's still very popular here in the U.K though, despite being hated by the critics.
It's not too, bad I suppose, there are just a lot of shows that do the same genre a lot better than Torchwood does...

I made a mini-Tardis out of a milk carton and wore it on my head. Only one person knew who what it was, and that was my US History teacher. Ironic, no?

Soooo cuttte! I want one too! :)

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

(even though some of the episodes are a bit scary for kids by my standards)

I'm particularly disturbed by The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, while my friend is scared of the demon in The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit....I think he's cool stuff though. xD

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I didn't find the demon scary at all.
However, the Empty Child......*shudders*
"Are you my Mummy?" scared the living crap out of me.
The scarecrows in Human Nature were a bit much as well....

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

I didn't find the demon scary at all.
However, the Empty Child......*shudders*
"Are you my Mummy?" scared the living crap out of me.
The scarecrows in Human Nature were a bit much as well....

Yeah, the one where the docter says "burn with me, Martha..." creeped me out.

On the british humor: My english teacher played a paticurly funny clip from the show and I was the ONLY kid in my class who laughed and got the joke :)

MidgitLD

MidgitLD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Oh God, 48 Minutes was just pure gold to me. XD Though I do have to agree that the Doc saying that line made me frikin' shudder and have a feeling of pure dread. One of those uber "OH SH**" moments.

I've only been able to catch it on Saturday evenings and it angers me when I have to work closing shifts.

I am very glad to see that there ARE fans of Doctor Who around here, though. Now, I don't feel too much like a little geek in my fandom of it.

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
The new series starts in April (in the U.K)
Apparently, Rose is coming back at some point....

MidgitLD

MidgitLD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
She better! Season 2's ending made me rather cross.

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
COME BACK FROM THE DEAD, O NOBLE* THREAD!

I have a question. Of the 2.5 channels** we receive Doctor Who on, none of them come in HD...that is, any higher than 480. So I wanted to know if Doctor Who comes in 720 and, oh goodness, 1080 varieties on UK broadcasting?

*lolpun

**SciFi, SciFiHD, and BBCA (which doesn't have a HD twin...as far as I know)

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
I'm mad at BBC America for not playing the rest of the fourth Season. Oh well, I'll satisfy my thirst with the old series on Surfthechannel.

Edit- I don't like Donna at all. She's not smart and she isn't an interesting character. She could've been left at the Library for all I care. I thought Martha was cool though. I think Rose should've left after the first season and Martha be in the second and third seasons. She deserved two seasons more than Rose did. I'm glad she's going to be in the season 4 finale.

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

I'm mad at BBC America for not playing the rest of the fourth Season. Oh well, I'll satisfy my thirst with the old series on Surfthechannel.

Edit- I don't like Donna at all. She's not smart and she isn't an interesting character. She could've been left at the Library for all I care. I thought Martha was cool though. I think Rose should've left after the first season and Martha be in the second and third seasons. She deserved two seasons more than Rose did. I'm glad she's going to be in the season 4 finale.

I think Donna is a refreshing change. At first (The Runaway Bride) I pretty much hated her, but I've found myself growing on her. She isn't smart, yeah, but after having two very intellectual companions, we needed a girl that was snappy and relied on her brute strength. Donna provides. I also find the "Dating? Us?! Oh, no no no!" situations very amusing.

Jenny on the other hand...*drools*

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

I think Donna is a refreshing change. At first (The Runaway Bride) I pretty much hated her, but I've found myself growing on her. She isn't smart, yeah, but after having two very intellectual companions, we needed a girl that was snappy and relied on her brute strength. Donna provides. I also find the "Dating? Us?! Oh, no no no!" situations very amusing.

Jenny on the other hand...*drools*

Rose was intelligent? Hmm, maybe it's the Rose-hate bleeding through. And whatever happened to the love interest taboo from the old series? I need to hit someone, where's my garden gnome.

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Me and my brother are obsessed with it ever since it came on the Scifi channel. Although are mom thinks it kinda cheesy

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
The finale for season 4 was depressingly bad.

LUCiD-STUDENT

LUCiD-STUDENT

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

The finale for season 4 was depressingly bad.

That seems a little harsh. To be honest, it really seemed like Davies was doing his best to wrap everything up before Moffat moves in, although it did get a little bad fanfic-y at the end. And dear god, Stephen Moffat is moving in for season five. Everything he's done so far has been absolutely spot on, here's hoping the man continues to write genius works like Empty Child, Girl in the Fireplace, and Blink (OK, yes, I do have a little bit of a man crush going on here, GitF was beautiful and Blink is by far one of the best New Doctor Who eps ever, only matched by Midnight in my opinion)

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

That seems a little harsh. To be honest, it really seemed like Davies was doing his best to wrap everything up before Moffat moves in, although it did get a little bad fanfic-y at the end. And dear god, Stephen Moffat is moving in for season five. Everything he's done so far has been absolutely spot on, here's hoping the man continues to write genius works like Empty Child, Girl in the Fireplace, and Blink (OK, yes, I do have a little bit of a man crush going on here, GitF was beautiful and Blink is by far one of the best New Doctor Who eps ever, only matched by Midnight in my opinion)

Blink is my all-time favourite episode. As for Midnight, I think it's okay and definitely well written, but it seemed kind of silly to me 'cause really there wasn't much to be afraid of. The people freaked out 'cause that chick was mimicking them and it just seemed really silly. The only legitimate thing to be scared of in that episode is the Doctor being thrown out the hatch. As for the season finale, it seemed like it was trying very hard to be epic... with Daleks... again... Did anyone else think it was odd that the mighty Daleks could be destroyed by Rose's puny gun? I did, however, like the part with the second Doctor and Rose at the end. 'Cause now there's no more reason to bring Rose back into the series!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Also, Donna's grandfather is one of my favourite characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users