Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GunStar Series

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
What does everyone think of these games?

I really wanna play the Japan only gameGear version of GunStar Heroes.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Never played it but it looks pimp ^_^

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
The Gunstar games are fun, but they're also short. Treasure has made better games but all of them are hard to find/uber expensive unfortunately. Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Gradius V, and Astro Boy all come to mind

I'd rather play a Megaman game than Gunstar.

Exploding-Man

Exploding-Man

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Dance, Theatre, Video Games, Hawtness, Random Shiz
Gunstar Super Heroes was kind of disappointing considering the wait. The original was truly badass in every way tho.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Oooh! I LOVE Gunstar Heroes! You just made me get to thinking about playing it with my brother again! (It hasn't been THAT long, though, we played together a couple months ago. XD) I was always Blue. We were a crazy team.. I don't know what I think of Gunstar Super Heroes, though.. Granted, I never really played it, but I watched a friend play it and I don't know if I like it. Or the character changes.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
The big problem with Gunstar Super Heroes is that the weapon customization from the Genesis game was completely removed. This kind of annoyed me because the custom weapons were a big part of what made the original gunstar good in the first place.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
The original Gunstar Heroes is one of my favorite games ever and it begun the legacy of one of my favorite developers, Treasure. If not for this game we wouldn't have had other classics such as Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier, Mischief Makers, Silhouette Mirage, and others. This obviously includes Gunstar Super Heroes, but I'll get to that in a moment. Basically Gunstar Heroes took the winning formula of the Contra series and gave it a kick in the pants with the ability to combine weapons and throw enemies. The characters and bosses were memorable too, especially Green and his Seven Force. My favorite part was the last level where you're outside the The Empire's spaceship and the bosses are watching you from a monitor screen. It's really amusing seeing how they interact with each other.

I'm mixed about Gunstar Super Heroes. Don't get me wrong, I love it and it's a really solid game, but if you are expecting the same gameplay you enjoyed from the first Gunstar then you're probably in for some disappointment. BUT... what this game lacks in the original formula, it has in offering a brand new formula that's just as fun to play. You are provided with a new melee combat system which can be very intuitive: you can punch and kick in any of the eight directions. You can do an uppercut, a slide kick, and there's even a laser sword which can be used by tapping B. Instead of combining weapons you are given three default weapons and the Super Gauge (hence the title of the game). Once the gauge is filled up you can use one of your three weapon for a super charged blast by tapping R twice. Once your gauge is down you can no longer use the super charge, but you can refill the gauge by destroying more enemies.

All in all, good games. I wonder if Treasure will produce another Gunstar game. We can hope.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

I wonder if Treasure will produce another Gunstar game. We can hope.

They better! I wanna know what "Outside Space" is!

sharky

sharky

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:SEGA Games/Consoles.
I love both GunStar games, The new one had some awesome throw backs to old SEGA games like Flicky and After Burner too. very nice.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Treasure and SEGA should make a new Gunstar game for the Wii on the WiiWare game channel and call it Gunstar Ultra Heroes. It should combine the gameplay of the original and GSH and have Green playable. Maybe Yellow too. In that case, make it a kick ass high-res, four-player run-and-gun.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

Treasure and SEGA should make a new Gunstar game for the Wii on the WiiWare game channel and call it Gunstar Ultra Heroes. It should combine the gameplay of the original and GSH and have Green playable. Maybe Yellow too. In that case, make it a kick ass high-res, four-player run-and-gun.

But if you get to play as all of them...Who would be that badass boss you get to fight? Maybe Seven Force would go crazy or something.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Smash Daisaku. He never dies!!

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

Smash Daisaku. He never dies!!

Well..Okay I guess.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

Well..Okay I guess.

lol

Tango

Tango

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
Oh man, Gunstar Heroes is awesome. I used to play it with one of my friends all of the time.

Machenstein: Not very likely at all. Treasure hates making sequels. I believe one of the reasons that some of the guys at Treasure quit Konami initially is that they were tired of having to make the same game over an over again (Contra for example).

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
That was the whole point in the change of gameplay in Gunstar Super Heroes. Instead of simply reusing the original formula they created what was essentially a whole new game with Gunstar painted on it. That's why I'm mixed about GSH as a sequel to the original Gunstar Heroes. GSH is a great game and it really should be its own game despite the obvious throwbacks.

HOWEVER, the gameplay of GSH and the original Gunstar are compatible and that's why Treasure has the perfect opportunity to combine the two and create the perfect run-and-gun formula. Just use your imagination and you can see how endless the possibilities truly are. It would be a travesty for Treasure to waste such potential.

Also I remember from a magazine that someone from Treasure actually was interested in doing another Gunstar but I forgot who and which magazine. =P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users