Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Beyond The Window

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Xay

Xay

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Location:Scenic Chavland, United Kindom. Just passed the Burned Cars...
  • Interests:Composing/Writing/Getting Inspired by/Listening AND Criticising music, drawing, reading, comics, cartoon, playing video ga... You get the idea.
I realise i am about to throw away every inch of my Masculinity (not that was a Huge ammount to begin with anwho) but...
I think i need a Tissue...
That wasn't Beutiful... That was a God Damn Masterpeice beyond Beutiful.

Ealynn

Ealynn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:I'm a freelance comic book artist and animator with a passion for storytelling. I love myths and legends and have a fondness of old animated children's tv shows and retro & indie games.
*hands you a very masculine tissue* ;)

Thanks :D it's so nice to hear how everyone is appreciating BtW. Makes up for the lack of sleep, social life and cruel rsi I had to suffer for it.

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, cosplay, linguistics, music, art, baking, cooking, sciences
I really liked the animation style you used once they were in the sky. The glowy lines was really appealing to the eye and kept me nicely focused on the characters. The character design for the jester made me smile, just with how he expressed sentiment through just his eyes and his body movements. Music added a sort of mysterious/happy atmosphere to it, too. So, on a technical scale, this was really good, in my opinion.

Moving away from technical... I really have to admit, I was in awe when it was done. Maybe I'm just an emotional sucker? I dunno. But there's one thing I'm still trying to figure out: the ending. I watch it once and it's the boy waking up, the jester letting him fall. I watch it again and it's the jester sending him back. I watch it again and it's the jester trying to keep the boy with him, but things just don't work out. Did you have any intentions of a set ending or is it set to be up to interpretation?

Ealynn

Ealynn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:I'm a freelance comic book artist and animator with a passion for storytelling. I love myths and legends and have a fondness of old animated children's tv shows and retro & indie games.
There is the set ending that the boy falls and dies, as the wheelchair is empty and the window is open at the ending, but because everything is done in the shadows and we focus only on the fantasy and make believe, it's not solid and people mostly end up not catching that bit of the empty wheelchair (also probably due to the messy youtube compression) - but the nice thing is that indeed it remains open to much interpretation and own feeling, which indeed may different each time you watch it. I really like to hear eveybody having their own version of it, so I rather not spoil that freedom of thought with any 'official' ending. To me, it's what you make of it. And I have indeed heard people say he woke up, or that fell or even that after it was over he hurled himself out of the window after realising that he didn't want any restrictions anymore. It's all in there.

But read on if you want to hear my version (and even that one varies from time to time).

There were many versions of the story before I had to finalize it, and they all sound on in the end result somehow - the jester at first was a creature with a fairy nature, not good or bad, but mischievous at best and tricked the boy into leaning out of the window to see the falling star he so wished to see. The boy fell because of this, but because of the jester he was changed into a falling star himself - the jester had fulfilled his wish, but there was a cost to it, or he did this himself, realising he was dying but also flying and free at his last moment became at peace and his pureness transformed him into the star he wished to see so died being his wish.
In another version the jester was evil and lured him out of the window and then dropped him in midflight, but as the boy fell, with reality kicking back in, he realised the jester had only been his imagination, instead of falling to the ground in this reality, he chose for fantasy and transformed himself into a shooting star (meaning he would eventually hit the ground and die anyway) but in doing so he gave hope to all the children of the hospital that night who saw him.
In the extended version, afterwards you see a girl who saw the star make a wish on it. And then the jester reappeared to her and we were left with the impression that things might not end up well with her, too.
Lastly we have as it is now that the boy and the jester lose their connection as the jester starts to fade away, leaving the boy to plummet down, but you see him take control of his flight and become a falling star. You see, the jester appears from the boys imagination, his tears make the imagined lines on the window flow and curl and out of it, his heart set on wishing a way out he creates his own miracle. From that moment on his imagination takes hold of everything, so in fact, all the actions he does, opening the window, stretching out his hand, losing his balance or perhaps even throwing himself out of the window are all taking place in the real world parallel to his imagined vision of the jester taking him for a ride.
On the other hand, there's the believing part. The jester becomes real because the boy believes in him, but going higher and higher his belief fades as in reality the tears that indulge his fantasy vision have faded because of the wind while his body falls down. Thus their connection is lost and the boy falls seing the jester fade back into the moon and stars from which he had made him up. Falling he realises that is one wish was indeed granted, being free, and he chooses to fade away into this fantasy of flight by becoming a falling star. It may end, but he will never have to go back to the other side of the window.
There's so many angles to take on this story that I keep on thinking about what really happened. Even I don't know at times. Guess that's the magic of the jester (or Pan) at work on myself :)

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Such magic from such an illustrious character. Thine creativity shines from every inch of animation. :lol:

Guest_DreamWeaver_*

Guest_DreamWeaver_*
  • Guests

The touched, warm and magical feeling you all get when watching Beyond the Window is the same for me when I read all of your comments. I'm really glad I contacted TRiPPY and DiGi to let it reach the NiGHTS fanbase. This is where it belongs, really. It feels so wonderful to hear how everyone appreciates the story and the characters. Thank you for sharing this with me ^_^ it motivates me beyond my dreams.

Argh... and now I'm all psyched up to do NiGHTS, and I really don't have time at my hands to animate at the moment :)><; conflict! I'll try and see if I can score schoolpoints for a possible animation.

~Marissa/Ealynn

@ayamemaiden: the file is .mov - usually quicktime should play it with no trouble, do you have that on your comp somewhere?

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!! lol. Just kidding, but it would be amazing if you ever did get time to do it. Beyond the Window is the best animation short I've ever seen.

Guest_Katana_*

Guest_Katana_*
  • Guests
shy but of crying it makes. sister cries with us. journey in the stars is wish of everyone so not only child of window.

Zoe

Zoe

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Well, I've just watched this for the first time, and like pretty much everyone else here who's commented I had tears in my eyes. XD; But I was smiling! :P It's a very beautiful piece and I do hope we'll see more from you in the future.

LiGHTS

LiGHTS

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
"Beyond the Window" and "Kiwi!" were both amazing short films. A sad sobering reminder of the bliss of dreams and the damnation of reality, the persistent illusion that it is. Give alot of perspectives.

captain boombatty

captain boombatty

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I know that i am more than several months behind everyone else at the moment (Only just got internet again after about 4 months without) but I had to add to this. - That was AWESOME!! I knew nothing about this - just stumbled across it on the main site but WOW! I know a lot of things have been raised here about the story (and maybe im just in the xmas mood at the mo) but in many ways it reminded me of how i felt when i first saw the snowman - it was both beautiful and emotional. Have watched beyond the window twice now and it will stay on my hard drive for quite some time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users