Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Recommended movies

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Weeellll, I'm bored. And the thing is, I need to watch more movies rather than the ones that are sitting on the shelf in my room. JUST BECAUSE.
So, I wanna hear what some of you're favorite films are. Be sure to describe them a bit.

Here are some of mine:

- A Clockwork Orange: A Kubrick film based on Anthony Burgess' novel of the same name. It basically talks about this 15-year-old, Alex, who stalks the streets at night with his three 'droogs' just for a bit of 'in-out-in-out' and 'ultraviolence'. But then the unexpected happens: his droogs turn on him, and after he accidentally murders someone, he's caught by the police. When he's offered a chance at parole if he submits to the Ludovico technique, he jumps at this chance of once again being free, but by doing this he will no longer be able to commit any acts of violence even if it's in self-defense. What is he to do when he's exposed to those he's harmed in the past? You'll just have to watch and find out. I must warn you though that it does have A LOT of nudity and some sex in it, so if that kind of stuff really bothers you then just skip this film.

- Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn: The second film in the Evil Dead trilogy, and probably the best. A guy named Ash goes off to some cabin in the woods with his girlfriend, Linda. When he plays a recording he finds there of an archeologist translating a passage from his latest discovery, the Nercominicon, Linda becomes possessed and he's forced to kill her by decapitating her. But that's not the end of his worries. With the help of some other people, he must now destroy the Deadites who have taken control of the area. But it's not all that easy with everyone being killed off one by one. :<

That's all for now.

So what are some things you enjoy watching?

GarnetPrincess

GarnetPrincess

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Cardcaptor Sakura, Dungeons &amp; Dragons, Evanescence, Final Fantasy, Linkin Park, NiGHTS, Resident Evil (movie trilogy), Sailor Moon, The Lord of the Rings (movie trilogy), Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, Transformers (movie), Valkyrie Profile, xxxHolic
My personal favourite is Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. This one beats all other movies in my mind. The stop-animation is very smooth and I love the music. Jack Skellington and Oogie Boogie, the main protagonist and antagonist respectively, really make this movie worthwhile. The characters tend to break into song and dance at various points, but it's a children's movie, so that's expected.

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Yesss. The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favorite films, and has been since I was 4-years-old. <3
Anyway, here's another Burton film I recommend:

Ed Wood: Johnny Depp plays as Edward D. Wood Jr., a man who has often been called the "Worst Director of All Time". The film follows him as he tries to make several movies (all very bad), and find a girl who will accept him even though he's a transvestite with an angora fetish. XD

I'm a MASSIVE Tim Burton fan, and I have to say that Ed Wood is probably one of his best films. Then again, that's just me and I find Ed Wood to be a fascinating director to hear about. >>

GarnetPrincess

GarnetPrincess

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Cardcaptor Sakura, Dungeons &amp; Dragons, Evanescence, Final Fantasy, Linkin Park, NiGHTS, Resident Evil (movie trilogy), Sailor Moon, The Lord of the Rings (movie trilogy), Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, Transformers (movie), Valkyrie Profile, xxxHolic
I'm not so much a fan of Tim Burton specifically, but I do like Johnny Depp in some of the roles he's played (like Jack Sparrow). I also like Alan Rickman. He's the main reason why I like to watch Die Hard so much. What do you think of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I like that movie too (yay for Sean Connery).

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I sort of enjoyed it, though I thought it could've been MUCH better, actually.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to watch Barry Lyndon sometime this week.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Alright, I'll add my two cents.

The Usual Suspects - Good movie with one of the best plot twists I've ever seen.

The Thing - My argument as to why animatronics are better than CGI 90% of the time.

Interstella 5555 - Anime set to Daft Punk music. It's fun and has style to spare.

Dr. Strangelove - The best political satire ever.

Sin City - A faithful comic adaption that's bleeds style. It's like hyperactive film noir.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I sort of enjoyed it, though I thought it could've been MUCH better, actually.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to watch Barry Lyndon sometime this week.

Saw that one about a week ago. Very well-acted, beautifully filmed, though there's no real plot to it. Kubrick never could figure out how to end his films, it seems.

My favorite movies? Well, let's see:

Dogma -- Strange as it sounds, this is probably one of my favorite films of all time. Any film that could make me think so much about religion while making me laugh about it is an outstanding movie. Alan Rickman is his usual wonderful self, and Ben Affleck delivers one of the greatest monologues I have ever heard on film. There's also a scene where Matt Damon shoots up a corporate boardroom with help from Affleck. Great scene. Seriously, watch the movie.

Thank You For Smoking -- Another intellectual comedy. Every actor in the ensemble (except for that Goddamn, no-talent Katie Holmes!) is a gem, with lead Aaron Eckhardt outshining them all. This is a movie that could make you care about a tobacco lobbyist. Highest recommendation.

Serenity -- If you are unfamiliar with Firefly, the short-lived TV series that spawned Serenity, get off your ass. This is a sci-fi/western with outstanding characterization and a futuristic universe created with dazzling detail. There's no chance of a sequel or a franchise, go get out there and enjoy what we've got!

Pan's Labyrinth -- A true masterpiece. A foreign film that balances the bleak dystopia of Civil War-era Spain with the magic of a fantasy underground that would put Lewis Carrol to shame. Every performance is phenomenal, every effect is eye-popping, every frame is a work of art.

Dark City -- An intellectual sci-fi movie that asks what role our memories play in who we are. If our memories are fake, is our personality similarly a lie? The film is very underrated, with a wonderfully realized world, gorgeous special effects and a plot that keeps you guessing. For extra fun, watch this as a double feature with the original Matrix.

Those are my picks. Find them and enjoy.

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
More kudos for Dark City is that is was done by the guy who did the Crow. I really feel it was only the horrible timing of coming out at the same time as The Matrix that made it not be really well known. Someone has already mentioned Dr Strangelove, a great film, and Pan's Labyrinth is amazing.

Some from me then.
Brazil- Funny, dark as hell and very clever. Imagine 1984, but with capitalism and humour. It is the story of a guy named Sam, trying to find a woman he has seen in his dreams, and of a single typo that causes a mistake that spirals tragically out of control. It's Terry Gilliam. Oh, and I love the sets and props for this.

Fight Club- If you've not seen it, and don't know much about it, watch it knowing as little as you can. It's stylish, it's clever and both brutal and funny. Seriously, watch it.

The Big Lebowski- The story of THE DUDE and his quest to get back his rug (which really tied the room together.) It's a Cohen Brothers movie, and like all their stuff is fantastically directed, and very, very funny. Remember, the Dude abides.

The Godfather parts 1 and 2- I don't REALLY have to tell you what this is about, do I?

sharky

sharky

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:SEGA Games/Consoles.
Hmm lots of good movies being named here! Ive seen and loved almost all of them.. and I'm a very picky person when it comes to movies.

You should also see: (listed in no order)

Children of Men

Train Spotting

The shawshank redemption (love it)

Lock Stock and two smoking barrels

Song of the South

28 Days later

My Neighbour Totoro

My Girl

Shaun of the Dead

Snatch

American Beauty

Amelie

Grave of the FireFlies

Hotel Ruanda

American History X

The Postman

Leon

Terminator 2 Judgement Day

Taxi Driver

The Green Mile

AlienS

Saving Private Ryan

Groundhog Day

Twelve Monkeys

Magnolia.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
The Neverending Story 1 & 2- I think everyone knows this one, but still, its about a boy who reads a magical book that he turns out haveing an affect on it's world and his. In the second movie he actually goes into the book to try and save it's world. Wow...it been so long since I have seen these movies that I can't exactly remember the plot. lol Anyway, any NiGHTS fan would love this movie.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I have to quote wiki because I don't know how to explain it well. King Arthur is recruiting his Knights of the Round Table throughout England. He is frustrated at every turn by anarcho-syndicalist peasants, a Black Knight that refuses to die, and guards that are more concerned with the flight patterns of swallows than their lord and master. It generally spoofs the legends of King Arthur's quest to find the Holy Grail. Its a very funny movie and many people know about it and quote it.

The Last Unicorn- I have only seen this once and so have a million others. I will quote Wiki again because I can't summerize something well when I have only seen it once in my life. "Although officially produced by an American company, the film is an important transitional work in the development of Japanese anime, since most of its animation was subcontracted to the Japanese company Topcraft. In an enchanted forest, a unicorn realizes that she is the last of her kind and decides she must embark on a quest to learn what has become of the other unicorns. The Unicorn discovers from the addled dialogue of a butterfly that something known as the Red Bull has herded all of her kind to the ends of the earth. Venturing into unfamiliar territory beyond the safety of her forest home, she begins a journey to find them and bring them back." Many anime fans have loved this movie. They sing a lot though... I find it funny though that I saw it when I was so young and it was one of the first catoons I had ever seen use the word damn in it.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Undercover Brother

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Mirrormask - Neil Gaiman wrote the script, what more do you need to know?

Super Bon Bon

Super Bon Bon

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Mindgame Studio 4C are amazing.
Twelve Angry Men 1957 one (i've never seen the remake.)
And Now the Screaming Starts I actually watched just because I loved the title, turned out to be a really good movie though (:
Cat Soup I thought this movie was really beautiful. it always makes me cry.
Tank Girl AWESOME!!!111
Full Metal Jacket and basically anything else Stanley Kubrick every touched x:
Dead Leaves super violent/funny/stylish/awesome/gross/fast etc animated movie. the style is wonderful and cartoony, the designs are great and it's just really fun to watch.

annndddd a lot of movies already said, especially Mirrormask and Thank You For Smoking.

foxboy39

foxboy39

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
I'll give some movie recommendations. My ratings are out of 10 and 5 stars.

Princess Mononoke: This movie is my favorite animated movie, hands down. Great plot, all the characters are fully developed, and the voice-acting is great. I highly recommend watching this movie. My rating: 9.7/10, 5 stars.

The Return of the King: I've seen this movie over 20 times, and I never get old of it. It is a great movie, but I recommend watching the first 2 before watching this one. My rating: 9.5/10, 5 stars.

Shrek 2: This is my #2 favorite animated movie. It is a perfect blend of satire and witty remarks that will make everyone laguh at least once. My rating: 9.6/10, 5 stars.

The Last Samurai: I really think this movie is underrated. Tom Cruise gives a great performance as a English general who is taken in by a hospitable Samurai. I can't really remember the plot right now, but I know that it is a great movie. It's a little slow though... My rating: 8.5/10, 4 stars.

Crash: Everyone needs to see this movie, and I'm serious. This movie is PURE genius. It's about how people deal with racism in their lives. I think the whole timeframe of the movie takes place in about 24-36 hours. This movie also won the Best Picture Academy Award. This movie is GREAT. Top 5 favorites, definitely. My rating: 9.9/10, 5 stars.

Other recommended movies:
Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. My rating: 9.5/10, 5 stars.
Talladega NiGHTS: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. 8.9/10, 4.5 stars.
Rush Hour. 9.4/10, 5 stars.

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Dead Leaves super violent/funny/stylish/awesome/gross/fast etc animated movie. the style is wonderful and cartoony, the designs are great and it's just really fun to watch.

YEEEEESSSS. I'm glad that someone else has heard of it.
Dead Leaves: What the Tank Girl movie should have been.

foxboy39

foxboy39

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Since this IS the "Recommended Movies" topic, can anyone suggest some good, family-friendly anime movies for me please?

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Since this IS the "Recommended Movies" topic, can anyone suggest some good, family-friendly anime movies for me please?

If you want good, family-friendly anime, you simply can't top Miyazaki-san. Give Spirited Away a spin and I promise you won't regret it.

Ealynn

Ealynn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:I'm a freelance comic book artist and animator with a passion for storytelling. I love myths and legends and have a fondness of old animated children's tv shows and retro & indie games.
Miyazaki movies! :P very family friendly indeed!
-Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Whisper of the Heart (very, very gentle movie) and the Cat Returns (definately a family movie, and sort of a sequal to Wishper of the Heart). My Neigbour Totoro is also quite family oriented. If you don't mind crying your eyes out and being depressed for the remainder of the evening try Grave of the Fireflies.

-Interstellar 5555 if the family's into music.
-the Girl who lept through time has some very nice things.
-Steamboy, which features amazying backgrounds and technology.
-I'd recommend Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust and Cowboy Bebop the Movie for a bit more mature audience. They are very nice and well animated.

Other movies I'd like to recommend:

Strings [2004] - it's a marionette film, handcrafted, a masterpiece in the line of Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal and is sadly not wellknown. It features very touching harp music and tells the political troubles of two warring factions of marionette puppets in a fairytale like setting. The good thing about this movie is the world it plays in as the marionettes really are living and breathing marionettes receiving their life force from their threads which disappear in the clouds above. No one knows what's up there, and where they end. Their whole world is accumstomed to the strings (houses have no roofs, when your head string is cut you die etc) - there's very deep thinking in there... do yourself a favour and watch the trailer! You'll be hooked!

Peter Pan [2003] - I already mentioned that movie somewhere else, but really, NiGHTS loving people should definately see that movie! Great music, very true to the book storyline, a captain Hook who is quite appealing to the eye, the children are really played by children and the cinematographic elements are the greatest! Sadly this movie is also not wellknown! Change it!
Finding Neverland (but many people already have ^_^) The best thing is that like original plays, the play features a young female actress that portrays Peter Pan. It's a great movie.

AI - artificial intelligence. My favorite movie of all time. It incorporates the Pinokkio story in a modern era where lifelike robots have become an important part of human life, adding to comfort and pleasure. For a first a child robot has been made that should be able to develop a conciousness in due time and is programmed to have undying love for the parents that switch him on. It's a very deep story. Go watch.

Edward Scissorhands. A very fairylike tale about a man who was build by a scientist who sadly died before he could complete his masterpiece. Edward has because of that scissors instead of hands. It's beauty and the beast like story where the beast is the rest of the society and the helpless beauty is the very young Johnny Depp.

I'll probably remember more stuff later ^_^ so many of my favorites are already listed!

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Donnie Darko-Its a really messed up movie but really makes you think. Wiki response: "The story occurs in the town of Middlesex, Virginia, during the time of 1988 presidential election campaign. Donnie Darko is an emotionally troubled teenager who sleepwalks, and in the medical care of a psychiatrist with whom he discusses his deepest thoughts. One morning, a jet engine from a commercial Boeing 747 falls into Donnie's bedroom; he avoids death by obeying a voice in his head causing him to sleepwalk outside from his room and avoiding death, corrupting space and time. The voice is that of Frank, an (apparently) imaginary friend dressed in a man-sized rabbit costume. Frank prophesies to Donnie that the end of the world will occur in 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 12 seconds." All and all, the kid living screwed up space and time and he needs to learn of this and fix it quick before everything is doomed.

Ana-mana-mate

Ana-mana-mate

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, video games, Sonic, Klonoa, art/drawing/photography, music, dreaming, anime and manga
Alot of good movies already recommended :P , I recently saw both Death Note movies, Death Note and Death Note:Last Name, and I highly recommend those if your alright about reading subs; also if you enjoy Japanese films you can't go past Battle Royal. If your looking for comedy at the moment the two films that come to mind are Anchorman and Talladega NiGHTS both of which star Will Ferrell. For anime films I'd recommend every Miyazaki film there is! And if you haven't seen Akira you should check that out sometime too. Maybe I'll come back later to name some more films :o

DREAMiNF

DREAMiNF

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Location:British Columbia, Otherwise known as Hell Recreated
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Final Fantasy, Guitar, and thats about it XD

AI - artificial intelligence. My favorite movie of all time. It incorporates the Pinokkio story in a modern era where lifelike robots have become an important part of human life, adding to comfort and pleasure. For a first a child robot has been made that should be able to develop a conciousness in due time and is programmed to have undying love for the parents that switch him on. It's a very deep story. Go watch.

T_T AI's ending made me cry when I saw it for the first time >.<

Anywho

Hard Core Logo: This is one of those Punk Rock Inspired movies, its really good and anyone who likes punk rock would love it.

Sonic OVA?: Eh? I saw it when I was a little kid, I dident know why but I liked it even now I still love it, anyone who loves Sonic will eh? Maybe like it Maybe won't, but my personal option is to buy it :angry:

foxboy39

foxboy39

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
I've seen all of Miyazaki's movies, I was kinda hoping for other ones...

Another movie to add to my recommended list:

Gladiator: Definitely in my top 3. This movie is great. Russell Crowe gives a great performance as a Roman General who loses his family and is put in the Gladiator Games. It won the 2000 or 2001 Best Picture Academy Award. Everyone's gonna love this movie. My rating: 9.9/10, 5 stars.

Ealynn

Ealynn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:I'm a freelance comic book artist and animator with a passion for storytelling. I love myths and legends and have a fondness of old animated children's tv shows and retro & indie games.

T_T AI's ending made me cry when I saw it for the first time >.<

Anywho

Hard Core Logo: This is one of those Punk Rock Inspired movies, its really good and anyone who likes punk rock would love it.

Sonic OVA?: Eh? I saw it when I was a little kid, I dident know why but I liked it even now I still love it, anyone who loves Sonic will eh? Maybe like it Maybe won't, but my personal option is to buy it :D

Yeah! The first time I saw it, I couldn't stop crying for like 5 or 10 minutes and then I called a friend at 1 am because I was all shaken up. Love that movie.

I know the Sonic OVA, got it on dvd. I like the ending scene met metal sonic so much, and the music there... ahhh.

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
...I really need to watch more movies. .____.

My recommendations:

Frida. Movie based on the life of mexican surrealist painter Frida Kahlo. Stunning visuals and very accurate story from what I've gathered. If I could only watch one movie for the rest of my life, this would be it.

Lost in Translation. Mellow, soft movie with a great subtle plot. Bill Murray is excellent playing...well, him self pretty much. XD Wonderful visuals, especially if you like Japan. If you're into Sophia Copolla who directed this movie, I'll throw in an extra recommendation in the form of The Virgin Suicides.

Lost and Delirious. A story about three girls who share a room at an all girls boarding school. Heartbreaking story, wonderful acting and the soundtrack is just simply amazing imo.

Sword in the Moon Korean war movie set in the early 1900's. Think Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with less wire-fu and you got a pretty good idea of how this movie is.

Chocolat
My personal feel-good movie of all times. Set in a small French village in the late 1950's, it's a story about change and the fear of it. Alfred Molina is excellent in this one, and Johnny Depp fans will not be disappointed. Make sure you got some chocolate close by though, if you're anything like me you'll crave it about halfway through the movie!

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Miyazaki movies! :o very family friendly indeed!
-Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Whisper of the Heart (very, very gentle movie) and the Cat Returns (definately a family movie, and sort of a sequal to Wishper of the Heart). My Neigbour Totoro is also quite family oriented. If you don't mind crying your eyes out and being depressed for the remainder of the evening try Grave of the Fireflies.

i think you mean "studio ghibli films" seeing as miyazaki did not make either the cat returns or grave of the fireflies. i'm sorry if i offended you with this correction but it's something that ticks me off incredibly every time i see it.

i reccomend seeing the illusionist and the prestige(gotta love magical movies lol). also robin hood: men in tights, blazing saddles, and the history of the world. and everyone absolutely has to watch the the pretender movies, but watch the four seasons of the show first.

NeoKairi

NeoKairi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
- Dawn of the Dead: The ORIGINAL. Not the stupid remake they did. Basically, you all should know the story: A few people try to hide from the zombies, but they end up in a mall that's just FILLED with them.
The effects are dated, and I feel like smacking some of the people in it, but I love it to BITS. <3

- Click: I've heard SO MANY people say that this was a bad film, but I enjoyed it. A father, who focuses more on his work than spending time with his family, receives a remote that enables him to control time. Though it's fun for him at first, he soon realizes how much he's missed out, and decides to change things. And the ending almost made me cry. ;__:

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
the ending almost made me cry, ALMOST!!

ah, you reminded me of mouse hunt, wonderfully wonderful movie.

Nellie Francis

Nellie Francis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
Here are my recommendations that aren't mentioned yet:

One Stormy Night - A story of a friendship between a goat and a wolf, in spite of how much adversity there is back home. It almost made me cry toward the ending ;-; Also has great backround and character shading. Recommended if you don't mind subtitles.

Thief and the Cobbler - Now who would of missed this! Starts off a bit slow, but then turns into a quest to save the kingdom and destroy an evil army. Had awesome effects back when I watched it. It also has a musical interlude or two as far as I know ^.^ Still, it's a must.

Exploding-Man

Exploding-Man

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Crank - A Hitman is poisoned with a drug that forces him to keep his adrenaline level at a constant high. Superb action and a bit of humor follows. May be my current fav.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico - The thrid in the El Mariachi series. Most people didn't like this one apart from the other two for whatever reason, but to me it was easily the best of the three. Course I saw it before the other two. Anywho, very nice action flick.

And well, that is all I got for the moment. Maybe if I give it some thought I will list more.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

One Stormy Night - A story of a friendship between a goat and a wolf, in spite of how much adversity there is back home. It almost made me cry toward the ending ;-; Also has great backround and character shading. Recommended if you don't mind subtitles.

I second this recommendation! A real tearjerker with some lovely animation.

I also recommend Kakurenbo: Hide & Seek. It's a horror story about a group of children entering the game of "Otokyo", a version of hide and seek in an uninhabited city were there's no light. It's only 25 minutes, but it's chilling and well-animated.

Xeno

Xeno

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Perfect Blue

WATCH IT, but bring some asprin

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.

Perfect Blue

WATCH IT, but bring some asprin

I second this. Perfect Blue was what made me discover the more adult sides to anime. If I hadn't seen it...I doubt I'd still be watching japanese animation.

NiGHTSfan

NiGHTSfan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Most of these have probably already been recommended, but I'm going to post them again. These are some of my personal favorite movies:

1. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas My favorite all-time movie. 'Nuff said.

2. Pan's Labyrinth Beautiful movie, beautiful soundtrack, beautiful story. Go see it. I was crushed when Letters from Iwo Jima beat it at the Golden Globes for "Best Foreign Film." (Clint Eastwood is.......American. It's an American film. It came out in America first.)

3. Ratatouille I don't care if it looks like a kid's film, you NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE. It's family-friendly, (Obviously!) it's got the most beautiful animation, (It reminds you that Pixar is always at the cutting edge!) and it's one of the only movies I've clapped at the end of.

4. Kill Bill Awesome movie, Quentin Tarantino is a genius!

5. Little Miss Sunshine Great actors, great performances. (The only movies/games that have ever made me cry were Metal Gear Solid, {the sad ending!} Edward Scissorhands, and Little Miss Sunshine.)

Also, I loved Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, and Evil Dead II.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

3. Ratatouille I don't care if it looks like a kid's film, you NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE. It's family-friendly, (Obviously!) it's got the most beautiful animation, (It reminds you that Pixar is always at the cutting edge!) and it's one of the only movies I've clapped at the end of.

I would really love to see Pixar come out with a more mature film. It would be great to such great animation with a mature storyline.

NiGHTSfan

NiGHTSfan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

I would really love to see Pixar come out with a more mature film. It would be great to such great animation with a mature storyline.

Well, I wouldn't want to see them make Beowulf, or even a PG-13 movie. Pixar films have a certain charm to them, a genre-breaking quality that you don't see often in CGI animated films. I've seen all of their films, and not one of them, (Except Cars) failed to interest and entertain me. WALL-E looks like it's going to be great! Apparently, there's not going to be any dialog for the greater part of the film, so that's a great opportunity to break new ground.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

Well, I wouldn't want to see them make Beowulf, or even a PG-13 movie. Pixar films have a certain charm to them, a genre-breaking quality that you don't see often in CGI animated films. I've seen all of their films, and not one of them, (Except Cars) failed to interest and entertain me. WALL-E looks like it's going to be great! Apparently, there's not going to be any dialog for the greater part of the film, so that's a great opportunity to break new ground.

I do enjoy their movies, but it just seems like the movies are all the same in the kind of feeling they transmit.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

V for Vendetta

Spider-Man 3

Edward Scissorhands

The Lord of the Rings series

Taledega NiGHTS

Zeitgeist

Fearless

The Simpsons Movie

Dead Leaves

Akira

CB4

Bad Santa

The Basketball Diaries

Xeno

Xeno

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I second this. Perfect Blue was what made me discover the more adult sides to anime. If I hadn't seen it...I doubt I'd still be watching japanese animation.

that is *sniff* one of the most... beautiful stories *sniff* I've ever heard! And i'm actually surprised to find someone who has actually seen it XD

Ealynn

Ealynn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

i think you mean "studio ghibli films" seeing as miyazaki did not make either the cat returns or grave of the fireflies. i'm sorry if i offended you with this correction but it's something that ticks me off incredibly every time i see it.

i reccomend seeing the illusionist and the prestige(gotta love magical movies lol). also robin hood: men in tights, blazing saddles, and the history of the world. and everyone absolutely has to watch the the pretender movies, but watch the four seasons of the show first.

NP ^_^ I believe the person above me said Ghibli already, so I thought, let's say Miyazaki, as that name is most known and some may not have heard about Ghibli, but may have heard about Miyazaki - I know he didn't direct all of them, but indeed, I never quite remember the name name of the other director, it was something with Ta... I think. (looked it up, it's Takahaka) - and wasn't Earthsea directed by the son of Miyazaki? (looked it up, it was indeed Goro, Hayao Miyazaki's son)

Dead Pixel

Dead Pixel

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Waking Life.

You'll either love this movie or hate it...or it might make you dizzy. It doesn't really have a coherent plot, it's just sort of...existentialist ramblings, I guess. Some of it will make you think, some of it might weird you out. The actual picture itself though is what really stood out about this movie, for me. The entire movie was done up using rotoscoping, they take regular camera footage and then apply this strange technique to it, and artists do it up to the point where it looks like a living painting. It's quite beautiful.

...And lucid dreaming plays a nice role in it too, so that's a bonus for us oddball NiGHTS people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users