Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS' Gender..?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
More..Female..? No...This..Isn't what...I wanted...I'm really upset about this. The voice actor doesn't bug me, Edward from FMA has a female voice actor and he's a dude, but..."...portrayed much more as a female in the game."? >< NO! Bad Sega, BAD! *beats Sega with a rolled-up newpaper* WRONG MOVE! ^_^

I'll wait until we get some English-speaking NiGHTS goodness until I /really/ start to rant...But...What do all of you think about NiGHTS' gender possibly becoming defined?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I doubt he has a defined gender.. they're just going for an androgynous voice, which will inevitably sound more feminine than masculine. That's just my take. Heh, the informant should know how much scrutiny each word he/she types will bring. I think NiGHTS's overall persona is staying the same. Then again, I wasn't there, but still.. it's hard to see Sega giving NiGHTS a gender.

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
I'm not worried about the voice. The new info says NiGHTS' actual personality is leaning towards the female side. x.X' I don't seem to like that, not sure why. O.o'

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Dunno, if anything, NiGHTS may seem to be more feminine to distinguish himself from Reala even more; but I still say they're keeping him andro.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Well if NiGHTS was a 100% girl they wouldn't go out of their way to call him androgynous. It's just a female voice actor like in the original. S/he probably has its very masculine moments too that will piss off all the people who see NiGHTS as fully female.

It's best of both really.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Especially if he presents himself a bit differently respectively to Helen and William.. (we can't know for sure yet if they're planning it or not.. but it sure'd be cool)

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Just cause they are using a female voice doesn't mean NiGHTS now has a set gender. His old voice sounded very girly to me. As long as he doesn't get boobs or bulge (and I am not talking about his bulging butt.) then I think he is still not gender specific.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Hm.. would a handlebar mustache persona mask be wrong?

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

Just cause they are using a female voice doesn't mean NiGHTS now has a set gender. His old voice sounded very girly to me. As long as he doesn't get boobs or bulge (and I am not talking about his bulging butt.) then I think he is still not gender specific.

Exactly what Yami said.

NiGHTS is still androgynous, as far as I'm concerned. And, I don't think SEGA will be planning to make some giant boobed, slutty, sex appeal NiGHTS as the main character, so we don't have to worry about that, either 8D!

Remember, a male can act a little feminine if he wants to, and some males have Female VAs. Chuckie from Rugrats. Bart from The Simpsons. Tails from Sonic Adventure? LIST 'EM, PEOPLE 8D!

Speaking of which, I'm positive NiGHTS lacks...

them. Female or male, doesn't matter...

Rick Hunter

Rick Hunter

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
honestly I'm happy to have NiGHTS have a female voice actor. Like it or not, NiGHTS has some pretty feminine clothing, so there will be less ridicule from noobs about NiGHTS being gay... you know the type of people I'm talking about... totally unaccepting of anything that has frilly costumes on male characters. (now you can go ahead and tell me that they're just noobs and I should just ignore them, but when it comes down to it, I don't want to deal with it at all)

(for the record I am not saying NiGHTS is gay... hard to be gay when your androgynous... just saying there are annoying people out there who don't get that he/she is androgynous and if NiGHTS had a male voice actor they would no doubt make a fuss over the purple threads)

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

honestly I'm happy to have NiGHTS have a female voice actor. Like it or not, NiGHTS has some pretty feminine clothing, so there will be less ridicule from noobs about NiGHTS being gay... you know the type of people I'm talking about... totally unaccepting of anything that has frilly costumes on male characters. (now you can go ahead and tell me that they're just noobs and I should just ignore them, but when it comes down to it, I don't want to deal with it at all)

(for the record I am not saying NiGHTS is gay... hard to be gay when your androgynous... just saying there are annoying people out there who don't get that he/she is androgynous and if NiGHTS had a male voice actor they would no doubt make a fuss over the purple threads)

I hate it when n00bs do that too. Now, I'm POSITIVE they won't, so I'm happy about this as well ^____^! If anything, they'll make fun of us instead, or get sexually attracted to NiGHTS >_>... (They strike me as that kind)

KyraWolf

KyraWolf

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
AS LONG as it isn't an annoying, high, UBER SQUEAKY VOICE OF DEATH, Im good. xD Now, take my voice. Im a girl, but my voice is rather deep. Something like that, I would like.

I still think about Arnold Schwathisface doing NiGHTS' voice and cringe.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
I maintain that the voice of Ed from Cowboy Bebop would be perfect for NiGHTS with a few modifications.

Androgynous, yet slightly female; childish without being annoying; high-pitched but not screechy.

Melissa Fahn did that voice, and she'd be perfect for NiGHTS. Pity we're probably getting someone else. ^_^

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
This kind of bums me out, but then again I always saw NiGHTS as male.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
I will admit I would rather have NiGHTS have a young males voice, I still look at him and see a male. (It must be the lack of a bust) But his face, even with the long eyelashes tell me hes a guy.

Like, they other game was okay because it was only a few phrases that were spoken but full out speech with a feminine voice is just going to take a little longer for me to get used to. I'm not fully against it.

What I am fully against is if hes really bubbly and girlie. Like, if he acts mature and has a slightly older womens voice, I don't think thats bad.

I actually have a kind of low voice for a girl, not that I can see myself doing the voice of NiGHTS (which would truly be an honor XD) but something similar.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?

I'm not worried about the voice. The new info says NiGHTS' actual personality is leaning towards the female side. x.X' I don't seem to like that, not sure why. O.o'

How about...you DON'T COMPLAIN?! They said the voice-acting was surprisingly good, so SHUTTUP BEFORE YOU DOOM US ALL!!! -attacks you and duct tapes your mouth-

AirMax

AirMax

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:school-survival.net, NiD, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, anime, awesome, scoreattack.net

I'd just say, "Purple is blue and red. Two very manly colors, so purple is twice the manly!" So now NiGHTS can't be a girl! Oh....

KittyWhiggles

KittyWhiggles

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I'd just say, "Purple is blue and red. Two very manly colors, so purple is twice the manly!" So now NiGHTS can't be a girl! Oh....

Oh my gosh, i love you XD,

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

What I am fully against is if hes really bubbly and girlie. Like, if he acts mature and has a slightly older womens voice, I don't think thats bad.

I'm with you on the "bubbly and girly" thing. We definitely don't want that for NiGHTS.

When you mentioned the "older woman" idea, I immediately thought of Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan. If you want an older woman playing a character with traits of both genders, you can't do better.

Still, I think it would be best if NiGHTS had a younger voice. Not bubbly or girly, but feminine and childish.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music

I'm with you on the "bubbly and girly" thing. We definitely don't want that for NiGHTS.

When you mentioned the "older woman" idea, I immediately thought of Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan. If you want an older woman playing a character with traits of both genders, you can't do better.

Still, I think it would be best if NiGHTS had a younger voice. Not bubbly or girly, but feminine and childish.

I loved that play, I have it on video somewhere.

Tinkerbell was a flashlight, rofl.

The only thing is, Feminine and Childish too me is the same a bubbly and girly. Like I think Sasami from Tenchi Muyo or Rini from Sailor moon. Although thinking of Sailor moon, Hotaru (Sailor Saturn) wouldn't be so bad, minus the emo. ;)

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

The only thing is, Feminine and Childish too me is the same a bubbly and girly. Like I think Sasami from Tenchi Muyo or Rini from Sailor moon. Although thinking of Sailor moon, Hotaru (Sailor Saturn) wouldn't be so bad, minus the emo. :(

And when I think Childish in the context of this game, I can't stop thinking about Ed from Cowboy Bebop. Maybe that's the miscommunication here.

KyraWolf

KyraWolf

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Well, we'll just have to wait and see. :3

iNSOMNiAC

iNSOMNiAC

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
*gives thumbs up and nods since she can't talk with duct tape on her mouth* 8|

wyldflowa

wyldflowa

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing comics! And ur... drawing comics. And... comics...<br /><br />I like games too. XD
I'm not making any judgement until I hear it - and even if the voice doesn't seem to fit NiGHTS at first I'm sure he'll grow into it as time goes by. It's like Naruto's english dub voice (also done by a female)... at first I thought it sounded awful but now it just fits.

Sega is tinkering with a character we've all projected our own ideas upon for many years now; it's understandable that some changes will seem weird... It'll all take getting used to but in the end we should be able to accept all this new stuff. ^.^ I do honestly have confidence that care would be taken when rounding out such an important character to the Sega franchise. :)

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I'm not making any judgement until I hear it - and even if the voice doesn't seem to fit NiGHTS at first I'm sure he'll grow into it as time goes by. It's like Naruto's english dub voice (also done by a female)... at first I thought it sounded awful but now it just fits.

Sega is tinkering with a character we've all projected our own ideas upon for many years now; it's understandable that some changes will seem weird... It'll all take getting used to but in the end we should be able to accept all this new stuff. ^.^ I do honestly have confidence that care would be taken when rounding out such an important character to the Sega franchise. :)

Sonic is a far more important character to Sega. Look how he ended up. :(

Still, I think that reserving judgment is the best course of action in regard to everything about this game. I am also familiar with females voicing male parts (Bart Simpson, anyone?) and I agree that it could work well for NiGHTS.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
I do believe they're going to let newcomers (if there will be any thanks to Brawl and Galaxy) assume NiGHTS is female, without ever actually assigning a gender. From what I can tell, they're at least using a good dreamlike VA.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I do believe they're going to let newcomers (if there will be any thanks to Brawl and Galaxy) assume NiGHTS is female, without ever actually assigning a gender. From what I can tell, they're at least using a good dreamlike VA.

That's a good way to go. I understand that NiGHTS may have a slight British accent. Sounds good to me.

Oh, and judging from the dialogue tidbits provided in the latest news, I think we can put our Kawaii!NiGHTS worries to bed.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
It's so strange. I've always seen NiGHTS as a guy, sort of habit I suppose.. and in one dream where I became NiGHTS and spoke with my own voice, it didn't strike me as odd in the least!

Hmm.. I'm really intrigued by this! So far the reports point to a decent voice, and the fact that it's feminine doesn't bother me in the least. Very likely for many of the same reasons listed. I had thought there would be a riot, but overall, everyone seems more curious than upset. Is that right? XD;

Rick Hunter

Rick Hunter

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

That's a good way to go. I understand that NiGHTS may have a slight British accent. Sounds good to me.

Oh, and judging from the dialogue tidbits provided in the latest news, I think we can put our Kawaii!NiGHTS worries to bed.

NOOO don't put them to bed! that will put them in Nightopia! exactly where we don't want them! QUICK! someone get those worries some caffine! don't let them sleep!!!!!

I wonder how long it will take for Niraven to get some vids up so we can actually hear the voices...

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
NiGHTS could be voiced by Gilbert Gottfreid (sp?) for all I care (rofls at the thought). With dialogue like...

"NiGHTS, do you have a father?"

"I...guess you could call him that..."

I just want the game NOW.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

NiGHTS could be voiced by Gilbert Gottfreid (sp?) for all I care (rofls at the thought). With dialogue like...

"NiGHTS, do you have a father?"

"I...guess you could call him that..."

I just want the game NOW.

Like I said, any worries about NiGHTS being Kawaii or overly girly can quit worrying now. I don't know who's writing the dialogue or who's delivering it, but I do know that we're in good hands.

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime &amp; manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
I'm so giddy I'm compelled to type a fangirly squeal in all caps, but I'll spare everyone the pain and pipe down. :)

Eleven years of waiting and worrying is totally paying off now! And the game isn't even out yet! I'm betting there's still people reserving judgment until the game comes to their home screen, which is very wise. But hyped-up fangirls aren't well known for their wisdom. LOL ^____^

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
If anything, since NiGHTS is generally thought to LOOK like a guy (despite the eyelashes and whatever), now we have 2 conflicting things- girl voice, boy look- which if anything means s/he (oh sod it, I'll just call it 'it) leans less to one gender than the other, it has characteristics from each gender, which I don't think it would have had if the voice weren't female. If it'd had a guy's voice then I think there would have been a lot more male than female, whereas here it seems more equally balanced between the 2.

I don't know, maybe that's just me.

I just hope NiGHTS doesn't conform to stereotypes, male -or- female. I'm more interested in it having a more androgynous personality myself, rather than being OMG GIRLY, or EEE MASCULIIINE.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I kinda hope he still makes the old squeak when he gets hit..

Rick Hunter

Rick Hunter

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
well now that we actually can hear the voice... >.< I find it to be typical Sega voice work... it's gonna take some getting used to...

is it just me or does NiGHTS sound like Lady Aribeth from Neverwinter NiGHTS?

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
For my part, I'm glad that Sega is stressing NiGHTS' androgynous nature, even with the voice.

To be honest, however, I thought that my previous "Cathy Rigby as Peter Pan" crack was scarily accurate. I couldn't really picture the voice coming out of NiGHTS' mouth, but I could picture it coming from Peter Pan played by a woman just fine.

Still, I think that the voice could work. What we heard was definitely not as bad as we had all been fearing, and I don't think they could've done much better, given what they had to work with.

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I don't really mind the voice. So NiGHTS is to sound feminine then will Reala sound very masculine?

>w>;;;.... Oh I wonder~

Edit: iNSOMNiAC. I just realized your avatar edit.... o_-;

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I don't really mind the voice. So NiGHTS is to sound feminine then will Reala sound very masculine?
>w>;;;.... Oh I wonder~
Edit: iNSOMNiAC. I just realized your avatar edit.... o_-;

Oh, I'm sure there were NiGHTS/Reala romance fics being written long before this game was announced.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yeah, TRiPPYs been drawing a comic about it for the last two years, lol. Not too bad. I just wish Reala would keep those hands to himself, boy. NiGHTS is miiiine! ...and all that stuff/etc etc

But anyways, in terms of NiGHTS' gender. It's true, Sega are trying to keep it adrogynous. They have said so themselves in many interviews and comments about our lovable Purple guy.
I see NiGHTS as both, though i'm used to saying 'he'. He has aspects of both a male and female and it's all good in my eyes. Yup! :mellow:

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Oh, I'm sure there were NiGHTS/Reala romance fics being written long before this game was announced.

Oh I'm sure of that too. It just brings the line between the good/evil/uke/seme catagory closer now. :D *flees*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users