Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Dream Of Desert

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Subterfuge

Subterfuge

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The idea here is that Will -- one of the new characters in the sequel -- has lost contact with his father, which has led to him having nightmares. So for this level, or "Nightopia" as the game calls it, players will come across objects that tie-in with his past. An amusement park is there to reflect the happy times of his childhood (and his current sadness as the sand all around covers it up). A beanstalk rising out of the ground "serves as a subconscious symbol of Will's inner desire to grow up and escape the desolation he feels," according to an official Sega description.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3162068

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
Awesome. So, drill dasing causes gold sparkles. I do believe that's a step above the line trailing NiGHTS in the first game. Again, the stage seems to be less crowded. I wonder why there's still less items.

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
oooh... those new ones are looking really neat-o.

Wonder if the rollercoaster will be accessible by the kid? That would be nifty.

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

Awesome. So, drill dasing causes gold sparkles. I do believe that's a step above the line trailing NiGHTS in the first game. Again, the stage seems to be less crowded. I wonder why there's still less items.

:lol:
I thought that gold stuff to be after that speed thing.
The less crowed thing has to be because its unfinished or something. (Unfinished at the time the picture was made.)

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
Those yellow streaks coming from NiGHTS' boots... Rocket NiGHTS?

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3162068

The preview they're with s important. I like the idea of changing the levels look to help in reflect childhood happiness.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Made this it's own topic since i feel it needed it. :lol:

Yeah, this level is probably the arabian/sand level we had heard about. In terms of graphics, i think they've polished it up a bit. The level itself doesn't look so jaggy around the edges now. I'm glad NiGHTS' SpongeBob eyelashes have actually been removed, too. This new level doesn't look too bad, either. Reminds me a bit of Pumpkin Hill from Sonic Adventure 2 but, meh, this is Sonic team. Also reminds me of Stick Canyon a bit, from the original NiGHTS.

Actually....Lynne just pointed out something rather interesting. Stick Canyon in the original NiGHTS into Dreams represented Elliots growth and how he wanted to grow up. Isn't this level representing the same thing for Will? It mentions the Beanstalk representing Wills growing up. The tower that is being built in Elliots Stick Canyon also represents the same thing. o_o Again. Remake? Sequel? Who the hell knows anymore.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
Hmm... well, the graphics looks pretty damn sweet. The sand and dust effect in the last picture has really got me memorized O.O!

Anyway, all this is gettin me EXCITED 8D! :lol:! I'm looking forward to seein more 8D!

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
That's some interesting news! The screens look pretty (amusement park!), and I like the idea of the levels changing depending on if you find all of those TV-screens. I'm a bit curious about those TVs... could they be showing memories, like the slide shows in Psychonauts?

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Ooh, I really love the way the level looks. The pinkish tone to the sky looks so pretty =D And eee, rollercoaster! ALthough, the fact that both the kids and NiGHTS hae creepily unnaturally blue eyes... I didn't notice before, but those are kind of... bright.

Also, I love the golden sparkles. Mmm, sparkles...

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Posted Image

WHY MUST THIS LEVEL FEATURE ONE OF MY STUPID IRRATIONAL FEARS?

*cries at the air blimps*

Matthew29w12

Matthew29w12

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Games
    Sleep
    Food
    Friends
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. But we need a release date >:lol:

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Shouldn't this 1up article go in JoD news? About these TVs. They seem to fulfill the same purpose of the ideya captures. Perhaps even redesigned like the palace.

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

WHY MUST THIS LEVEL FEATURE ONE OF MY STUPID IRRATIONAL FEARS?
*cries at the air blimps*

That made me LOL. XD
I would bet that they would add at least one more of your fears. >:lol:

Anyways his unnatural blue eyes seem to remind me of Sonic waaaaaaaaay too much.
I kinda wish they would darken it.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
reeeeeeeemaaaaake *spooky fıngers*

Besıdes the tower, dıdnt stıck canyon have somethıng of a rollercoaster too ?

CronoMST

CronoMST

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Wait a minute... a level featuring blimp-style airships? Sega's totally ripping off Lucid Dreams! My lawyers shall be hearing about this! Heheh.

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

Hi I'm a grammar nazi. DiGi, it's Sega is, not Sega are. Sega is just a single team. :(

eh? I can't even find that mistake...
And doesn't Sega have like a Sega American team and a Sega Japanese team?
I'm confused... ^_^
(Says the girl that never passed her English class.)

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
saw these on 1UP/Neogaf already but... HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT
HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT

Im in love ^_^

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Hey DiGi, it's funny you said the level reminded you of Pumpkin Hill. I thought the exact same thing when I saw it ^_^ . Still, the level does look nice. The roller coaster might add some nice gameplay features.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

Those yellow streaks coming from NiGHTS' boots... Rocket NiGHTS?

I'm guessing thats the new version of that thing that happens when you do that thing that gave you that yellow streaky thing behind you but it only occurred for a limited amount of time. Someone can probably say it better I'm sure.

AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!!!! I couldn't wait any longer for new info.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Hi I'm a grammar nazi. DiGi, it's Sega is, not Sega are. Sega is just a single team. :(

Deleted your post because it was off topic. If you would like to make a complaint about my grammer (not that i care too much) then you can do that in private and not on the forums. Thank you.

Hey DiGi, it's funny you said the level reminded you of Pumpkin Hill. I thought the exact same thing when I saw it ^_^ . Still, the level does look nice. The roller coaster might add some nice gameplay features.

Yeah, if you get to use the actual roller coaster that would be interesting. Stick Canyon had that weird roller coaster that you get to use but would often cause you to run out of time on the last lap. Let's hope this 'Dream of Desert' doesn't cause the same thing as Stick Canyon. That last lap always killed me. XD

I'm also wondering if you'll be able to break through that layer of cloud at any point in the level. It seems the beanstalk rises up above it so i wonder if you'll be able to venture to that area.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Ah, such beautiful screenshots. They are the best representation of the game so far. Graphically the game looks to be more on par with Sonic and the Secret Rings. Well done. If the game looks good now on blown-up HD screenshots just imagine how good the game will look in motion on a standard television.

Also does anyone notice the stage has no upside-down ground blocking the sky? Does this mean NiGHTS can fly however high he wants?

Avenrir

Avenrir

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, monsters &amp; beasties, insects &amp; spiders ( but not moths. KEEP THEM AWAY! ), art, comics, cartoons, dinosaurs, mythical creatures, fonts, dreams &amp; nightmares, swords, retro videogames, the Discworld, and last but not least: Cadbury's chocolate. O.O
Ooh, nice nice looking level design from what I see, here ( and yay, finally I can see his face to see that the buzzsaw eyelashes are gone ). I always liked desert levels in games. Stick Canyon was always up there with Mystic Forest competing for my fave level in NiGHTS into dreams..., so this naturally makes me happy.

I think the whole "it looks kind of empty" thing is perhaps something of an illusion on these screenshots. Unlike the NiGHTS levels we're familiar with, this one actually appears to have a sky, instead of more land and features blocking you from soaring up high( as mentioned in the post above ), and I think that's probably contributing to its spacious feel. Which is likely done on purpose going by the background story on the level as well as the character it's attributed to. Empty, spacious = lonely, right?

Though, regardless of that. I still think it needs more hoops and things. At the moment it doesn't look like there much to really do in the level. Past fly around and sight-see, anyway.

Artemis

Artemis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Brazillian dancing, NiD (duh), drawing, swimming, music, debate, taiko drumming, and making people laugh.
OOooooh!! PRETTY!! I like it lots, I think it's only a little similar to Stick Canyon so far, as long as they don't make it so that Reala is after this level and that there are no magnet like things. BUT, I just have one question....HOW THE HECK IS THIS A DESERT, EH?!? The sky reminds me of a desert a little, but I'm still thinking it's not too desert like in my opinion <_< . One thing I like is the misty-effect they added in there, and the SPARKLES!!!!

Actually, I think this is something that Jackle or Puffy would be the boss of.....well....maybe not Jackle....Clawz probably??? But they should add Reala in the later lavels or something....Also, do you think they trashed the whole "Great Mother" deal??? We haven't heard AT ALL about her yet....

Oh, and NiGHTS's eyes are WAAAAAAY too glowy...and not like the soft glow....but too linear.....

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I just realized how bright NiGHTS's eyes are. Wow that's bright. They used to be a lot darker. Maybe he's into contacts now. Didn't know they made em that big though.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Expandıng on my -thıs ıs such a remake- thıng :

Ellıots fırst stage - Splash Garden
Wılls fırst stage - Splash garden lıke level
Ellıot fırst boss - Puffy
Wılls ?fırst? boss - Puffy lıke boss

Ellıots last stage - Stıck Canyon
Wılls ?last? stage - Stıck canyone lıke level

Also, the one screen of helen ın game showed the skylıne of a dıfferent level too, brıght and cheerfull lıke sprıng valley.

EDIT : Shıt. Upon further ınspectıon, splash garden ıs Helens level. That screws everythınng up a bıt.

Azelover

Azelover

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

The level itself doesn't look so jaggy around the edges now.

The pictures are "bullshots" though. If you don't know what that is, it's a commonly used marketing tactic by game companies for last gen games to make them look better in stills on modern computers. They basically take the game and up the resolution(which is the case here) and add 16X AA(which is also the case here) in stills. The game itself will still look "jaggy" when you play it because the Wii can't output 16X AA or display anything above 720X480 by design.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Nope, i didn't know that, Aze, hence why that particular point i made seems to have been blown out the water now. Meh. Oh well.

In response to Jof's 'remake debate', what if it isn't? Peep this idea for a second. The Puffy boss represented Elliots mum. In this game it could represent Helens mum, instead. Not in the sense that it's over writting everything before but more along the lines of certain aspects in dreams meaning the same thing for different dreamers. I'm probably not making any sense so the best example i can give is this - Two different people dream similar things that have similar meanings yet the visuals of what they're dreaming about alter slightly. So, in a sense 'Phuckle' could technically be Puffy only its Helens interpretation of her.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Sounds good to me, and yet everyone interprets NiGHTS the same way.

foxboy39

foxboy39

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
I agree with DiGi Valentine and Zero-Shift about the appearance of the level as similar to Pumpkin Hill from SA2B. Besides from that, the level looks really nice with the graphics, and the other physical of the features look really awesome. I like how the imagery of the level ties in with the thoughts of the male main character Will. I can't wait to get this game!! ^_^

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
w00t for some new info.. in reading these level descriptions, I just hope Sonic Team is keeping re-playability in mind.. simplicity is a key to re-playability.. but then again there's lots of ways to properly build up the gameplay, so here's hoping this'll be awesome..

RedTail

RedTail

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
In the second pic, take a good look at the rocks. One of 'em definitely looks like a toucan. There's also one in the bottom left corner that could be a seagull. Then there's the bra. The giant malformed bra...

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
>_< I'm wondering how we're supposed to play the game when all these pictures show NiGHTS from the FRONT!!! Then again, I guess hind-vision is 20/20...

Guest_Vampire Killer_*

Guest_Vampire Killer_*
  • Guests
When I first saw the screen shots, I thought this level, like what DiGi Valentine says, quite does remind me of Stick Canyon.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

>_< I'm wondering how we're supposed to play the game when all these pictures show NiGHTS from the FRONT!!! Then again, I guess hind-vision is 20/20...

THAT

is a very good question.

RedTail

RedTail

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

When I first saw the screen shots, I thought this level, like what DiGi Valentine says, quite does remind me of Stick Canyon.

They're promotional pictures taken for gaming sites and magazines. They don't need to demonstrate game-play in stills so the shots are coming at all angles to highlight different aspects of the level that they want you to see. It's done all the time.

Hell, you can do it yourself to a lesser degree in the original game. Just watch the post-dream replay of the mare. You get all kinds of crazy angles.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

They're promotional pictures taken for gaming sites and magazines. They don't need to demonstrate game-play in stills so the shots are coming at all angles to highlight different aspects of the level that they want you to see. It's done all the time.

Hell, you can do it yourself to a lesser degree in the original game. Just watch the post-dream replay of the mare. You get all kinds of crazy angles.

makes sense. I forgot about replays. Silly silly me will I ever learn :D

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?

but... HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT
HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT

Im in love :D

My feelings exactly! Finally, some new info! Stupid tight lipped Sega.. *mumble grumble*
I didn't notice it before, but you guys are right: NiGHTS eyes are waaaaaaaaaaaay too bright. They're kinda creepy..But oh well. I'll still play the game anyway.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

In the second pic, take a good look at the rocks. One of 'em definitely looks like a toucan. There's also one in the bottom left corner that could be a seagull. Then there's the bra. The giant malformed bra...

You know, i said the exact same thing to TRiPPY about that rock formation looking like a bra, too. XD I'm glad i'm not the only one to think that, either. Otherwise i would most probably be labeled as a pervert or something >_>

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
I can't see the bra formation. Should I count that as a good thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users