Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Download or from the shops?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you aquire your favourite songs? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

To get my music i....

1. Mainly from an offline shop such as HMV. (8 votes [16.33%])

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

2. I buy hardcopy CD's from online retailers like Amazon. (8 votes [16.33%])

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

3. I legaly buy MP3 format music from online services. (6 votes [12.24%])

Percentage of vote: 12.24%

4. I use filesharing devices such as Limewire. (24 votes [48.98%])

Percentage of vote: 48.98%

5. I only share music with friends through emails or IM products. (3 votes [6.12%])

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
There was a Poll on the 'Everyone Votes' channel on the Wii recently about the same thing regarding music and i was curious how you guys get your mits on tracks.

Be honest now :lol:

I like to buy solid CD's i can hold in my hand, rather than pay for Mp3's. But when it comes to really obscure music i can't find offline i use limewire. Though i have to say, finding weird music on Limewire has broadened my musical tastes and let me know of more artists i want to chase up. Hearing samples will always sway me to buy an album.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
*agrees with TRiPPY*

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

EVERYWHERE!

I've gotten music all the way from friends, to buying the CD straight from Borders 'n' stuff.

Most of the music on my computer has been ripped from CDs I own, but some of the stuff has been downloaded. I'd say about 1/4 or so has been downloaded via iTunes and pay places, the rest has either been ripped or downloaded from friends/share sites.

I use sites like Limewire everynow and then, usually because someone else in me family has, or because I already own the song but can't seem to find it T_T.

Edit.: To clarify things, these are how I got the songs I listened to.:

CCR - Have You Ever Seen the Rain? Was downloaded. I think I own that track somewhere, anyway.
Stones - Paint It Black is part of a CD I owned and ripped onto my computer via Windows Media Player. Speaking of which, it's the main theme to Twisted Metal: Black, as well :lol: !

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Filesharing mostly, but if I find myself with several songs by the same artists I'll try to find the album in an offline shop. I've considered buying mp3s online, but the samples usually sounds so weird.

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Usually CDs fom offline shops, sometimes from online shops if it's older than a month or so. It's cheaper than downloading and my parents refuse to use their credit card for iTunes since they hate Apple, so eh. At least Woolies really is quite cheap for music...

However I also only ever but NEW CDs, otherwise the artists' don't get enough money for what people get out of it I don't think. Cause I get it forever and the pervious person had it for a while... which adds up to more than what they were selling. I see the atist as selling as much as the person buying will get out of it, anyway. Sorry, I'm rambling XD

I also use that playlist thing on Last.fm which lets you legally listen to songs for free if they're shuffled. All the stuff I like at the moment I can't buy til next month, so it's saved my life XD

Maki Izumii

Maki Izumii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
*sigh* Bit Torrent. D: Though a LOT of my music is hard to find in CD shops *such as video game soundtracks*.
When it comes to bands though, I try to get my mitts on albums *though a lot of the stuff I like hasn't been released in Australia.. D:*

Also props to the admins for opening a place to discuss music =3

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

*sigh* Bit Torrent. D: Though a LOT of my music is hard to find in CD shops *such as video game soundtracks*.

I use Bittorrents every now and then. Usually for video game music.

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests
I use filesharing...
Why?

1.) Its faster
2.) Cheaper
3.) Easy to find
4.) Cheaper
5.) Don't need to get off my butt to get it...
6.) Did I mention it was cheaper?

Lunar

Lunar

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I mainly buy the CD's/use a friends and burn it onto my computer. But I also get songs from my net friends through the magic of IM. Limewire is like, virus haven. I don't touch it. Even if I get a lot of my music from the net, I always buy the CDs of my favorite bands, if only to support them in some way.

Besides. I don't have an MP3 player. CD player = need for CDs.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Awww...you didn't put websites. Yes most of my music comes from websites. I can't use limewire or torrent stuff when I live in a dorm and use their internet. So I have to use websites that post music. If I want NiGHTS I come here. If I want SOnic I go to Shadow of a Hedgehog. If I want everything else I search the internet for hours to find what I am looking for. I use Megauploads sometimes and other sites that give out free music.

Sometimes I buy CD's. I got the Nightmare Before Christmas CD and I felt proud to get music legally for once.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I love having a physical copy of music, so I work on a little system. If music I plan on buying is leaked, I'll stick the album on pre-order, then 'preview' the tracks via download, but delete them when I get my own copy. For albums I'm not sure I'll like I download them to preview, if I like I'll buy the CD and delete the MP3s, if not I'll just delete.

AFX2WIN

AFX2WIN

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I also like having physical cd covers that I can hold, and I have this weird thing where I like having the album art and whatnot :D. I use Limewire, but I NEVER download full albums off of Limewire. I mainly use it for a single song that I want when I don't like an entire album. Or just if there's a single song I like, lol.

Tango

Tango

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

If I want everything else I search the internet for hours to find what I am looking for.

Galbadia Hotel is a pretty good place if you're looking for video game music.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

I also like having physical cd covers that I can hold, and I have this weird thing where I like having the album art and whatnot :huh:.

That reminds me, another reason I buy albums if I like the music is that they generally have lyrics to the songs. I prefer having the lyrics on paper rather than googling for them.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

That reminds me, another reason I buy albums if I like the music is that they generally have lyrics to the songs. I prefer having the lyrics on paper rather than googling for them.

It's much more reliable, imo. Especially after seeing a really nasty and dirty version of 'Don't Fear the Reaper' that someone edited :huh:.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

It's much more reliable, imo. Especially after seeing a really nasty and dirty version of 'Don't Fear the Reaper' that someone edited -_-.

I once was looking for Nightwish lyrics, and someone had put in their overly-angsty poem :huh:

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

I once was looking for Nightwish lyrics, and someone had put in their overly-angsty poem :huh:

>_<

I do find this site most reliable though.: songfacts.com

I visit there every now and then...

Exploding-Man

Exploding-Man

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Yarr mateys.

I buy the occasional CD, but for the most part I download music.

Though I have really been getting into indie music recently, and I may end up starting buying CDs more often. More for the sake of showing support than anything.

Handy Candy

Handy Candy

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Kicking fish, food (which is f'in important), and drawing...stuff.
I mostly buy mp3's online, but every once in a while someone will send me a pirated song to listen to XD or something like that.

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
I download music I haven't heard before or that someone has recommended to me, before I decide if I want to buy the CD or not. :3
I'm working away on my huge list of "CD's to buy" at the moment, usually purchasing from online shops. It's been ages since I last bought a CD at an offline store, and I miss it so much. D:

I'd never buy an mp3 online. It feels like I'm paying for nothing... D:

Oh, and Tango! I agree with you, Galbadia Hotel is great for finding game music. I also use Gendou.com for anime music, they got plenty free for download.

wyldflowa

wyldflowa

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing comics! And ur... drawing comics. And... comics...<br /><br />I like games too. XD
Most of the time I listen to music through radio websites (I'm often on Radio Blog Club)... when you click on a song it takes you to someone's Radio Blog which is really useful! I've found so many new artists I like by listening through people's blogs that include songs I like. Occasionally songs will get corrupted or removed... when that happens I'll reach for Limewire.

I'm pretty stingy with paying for music - I'll only shell out for it if it's something really special these days. Owning the CD is nice but in the end all I'll do is rip it onto my PC and listen to it through that~

MidgitLD

MidgitLD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
I would like to buy whole albums, but in the past few years, it's become a problem to me for the simple that that there might be all of one or two songs on the whole thing that I might want to listen to. I'm sorry, but I don't feel like paying 10-20 bucks just for a tiny number of songs. I used to use Napster (when it was free), WinMX, and Kazaa there for a little bit, but with all the media hounding and such, I stopped using them just to be on the safe side. Having no cash to spend on music, I've stayed away from buying per song, but now that I have more or less a steady set income, I'm going to look into doing that. I'd really love to support the artists, but damn if I'm forking over 10-20 bucks for 10% good and 90% LAWL IMA MAKE MONIES WIT MOOZIK. But for the meantime, I don't really have any new music unless it was sent to me by someone.

However, I am not above downloading the music prior to making a purchase. Kinda like a test driving a car. You try it, you like it, you buy it. Simple as that.

Moriarty

Moriarty

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Torrents, Limewire, eMule, whatever's free.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
pshhh. All the good music is on games anyways. *plays EBA and Trauma Center*

Nickbot

Nickbot

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Tattoos, NiGHTS, and Wizeman
If I get the chance to buy a CD, I will provided I have the currency for such things. Other than that, it's through the internet, though that's starting to change a lot for me.

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
I usually d/l my songs from things like WinMx and such. I also borrow friends CD's and rip songs from them. lol I don't normally like to spend my money on CD's because there is usually only 1 or 2 songs on the CD that I like. Also alot of the music I listen to is foreign and hard to find CDs of.

DREAMiNF

DREAMiNF

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Location:British Columbia, Otherwise known as Hell Recreated
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Final Fantasy, Guitar, and thats about it XD
I buy all my songs off from iTunes, and I say buying the songs legit will make you feel really good and peaceful in mind.

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Lessee. The last two CDs I bought (three, really) were from hearing one or two particular songs and liking them so much that I bought the album, sometimes online and sometimes from stores. I downloaded a couple free singles (legally, actually; it's a kind of promo for the album) from the official artists' websites. Other than that, I use the web for downloading those vague video game/anime soundtracks, and rip music from videos for the rest. I'm also a big user of internet radio. I DO NOT use torrent programs, as they are nasty little things and I'd rather they stay OFF my computer. I've also never bought an mp3 directly. o.o *totally didn't answer the question*

nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Drawing, embrodery, bead crafts, crocheting and sewing.

Fave books: Redwall series by Brian Jaques, Agatha Christie mysteries, some precise mangas and Harry Potter.

Favorite video games: NiGHTS, Sonic the Hedgehog Games, Mario Brother Games and most mystery, puzzle and RP games.

I have a DeviantART account under the name ChaotixJewels. It has both Sonic and NiGHTS FanArt and FanFics.
I usually buy CDs when they are available to buy, other than that I do download them on occassion especially if the CD I'm looking for is sold out without any hope of it being available later.

nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Drawing, embrodery, bead crafts, crocheting and sewing.

Fave books: Redwall series by Brian Jaques, Agatha Christie mysteries, some precise mangas and Harry Potter.

Favorite video games: NiGHTS, Sonic the Hedgehog Games, Mario Brother Games and most mystery, puzzle and RP games.

I have a DeviantART account under the name ChaotixJewels. It has both Sonic and NiGHTS FanArt and FanFics.
I usually buy CDs when they are available to buy, other than that I do download them on occassion especially if the CD I'm looking for is sold out without any hope of it being available later.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I almost exclusively buy CDs. I generally buy them online as my taste in music is often too obscure for chain stores like Best Buy and there are no locally owned music stores in the area.
I'll download MP3s if an album cannot be had otherwise (due to being out of print or the band only releases it as an MP3). When I have a CD I feel like I have bought SOMETHING and I have trouble equating files on my computer with an album. Hell, I'll still choose vinyl records over MP3s.
There is also a sound quality difference between an MP3 and a CD. I like being snooty about my music!

However I probably listen to music through the radio more than anything else. There is a really awesome station near me which allows DJs to play whatever they want with no restrictions (aside from standard FCC regulations). As a result, I am constantly exposed to new/rare musics that I could never find anywhere else. I love it muchly! Free-form radio wins big!

JUPiTERMAREN

JUPiTERMAREN

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:pokemon nights and talking to people who dont treat me bad for things i believe in! one day i want to buy a dolfie doll from japan and lots of pocky LOL oh cruel insternet shopping!
i buy all my music from amazon!! i own so many cd's that im runnin out of room in my bedroom! my pc doesnt have much room to store mp3 music files :lol: i listen to the radio mostly anyway.

Arctides

Arctides

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
iTunes is what I use. I get most of my music from them, and I occasionally buy TV shows from them as well.

spinningcannon

spinningcannon

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Other worlds, art, music, literature, symbolism, psychology, philosophy, the human condition
I do the same as our dear TRiPPY-- I love those good old compact discs, but often make good use of my brother's filesharing program to find random songs by name and/or genre alone. It really exposes me to new artists and ideas, which is nice.
Plus I also use it to look up highly obscure bands and songs which you may not find in stores online or otherwise. That's always handy.

Two sites I will definitely recommend for music searchers, though, are FYE and Last.fm (the latter which you probably have seen online).

I regularly stop by FYE and search an album I am interested in buying, not only because they often thoroughly review the entire CD but also because they offer 20-second clips of every track on the darn thing. It's quite nice for a preview.

Last.fm is actually a sort of 'customizable radio station.' Although it does not allow you to listen to a single artist on loop or even choose what tracks you want to hear, it will allow you to enter the name of your favorite band and offer you a generously varied playlist composed entirely of artists similar to that band. It also displays some highly interesting information on whatever artist it is playing at the moment.
I thoroughly enjoy this channel; it's extremely fun and interesting to just let play in the background, and allows you to actually compose a playlist of your absolute favorites as you hear them play. You can tune into your personalized playlist on the main site.
Another thing I like about Last.fm is that it will play some very unique tracks for you. I'm a big fan of Keane, and on one occasion my channel actually played a rare acoustic demo of one of their songs. I searched for that song all over the place but could not find it. Fortunately for me, though, it's on my playlist! XD Aha!

So yes. That's what I do. Preview songs, look up weird stuff, find artists I like, and then go buy their CDs. It works.

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Well depends on the song if it song from a anime series I usually get it at downloads.khinsider.com If it a brand new one I usally buy it off iTunes if have money if not I usually google free mp3 sites and browse them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users