Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

I fear the sequel is going to fail

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
I don't think I have any worries anymore.. I think I've actually seen enough to be satisfied. ^____^ Which is quite an odd feeling. I hadso many up and down feelings before, but now I'm pretty confident. But seems a lot of folks here have some pretty valid worries. Have any of you changed your minds, with the new information?

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I don't think I have any worries anymore.. I think I've actually seen enough to be satisfied. ^____^ Which is quite an odd feeling. I hadso many up and down feelings before, but now I'm pretty confident. But seems a lot of folks here have some pretty valid worries. Have any of you changed your minds, with the new information?

Well, my worries principally involved too much focus on the kids and frakking up the voice acting. Now, I know that the kids can only attack with ammo gathered by NiGHTS and the voice provided by NiGHTS sounds okay, so there you go. I'm still concerned about how the game will control, but I'm willing to be patient for more information.

All in all, I'd say things are looking up.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
YYyyeah.. I don't think NiGHTS is gonna go the way of Sonic. Sonic's personality alone left him open to be thrown into all kinds of retarded situations, genres, and sports. NiGHTS has a very narrow range when it comes to that, otherwise it wouldn't fit. But then again, Mario, a midget, fatty, middle-aged plummer can play soccer and football and be in the Olympics. Soooo.... XD

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

Ditto, man 8D!

I doubt NiGHTS will go in Sonic's direction, especially because it's two different groups of people making each game 8D!

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?

YYyyeah.. I don't think NiGHTS is gonna go the way of Sonic. Sonic's personality alone left him open to be thrown into all kinds of retarded situations, genres, and sports. NiGHTS has a very narrow range when it comes to that, otherwise it wouldn't fit. But then again, Mario, a midget, fatty, middle-aged plummer can play soccer and football and be in the Olympics. Soooo.... XD

Not to mention throw a dinosaur five times his size with ease...and jump really high. Maybe Mario has abs so huge that it looks like fat. :P I just disturbed myself. Majorly.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Whatever happened to the hopeful optimism of a group of people who enjoyed NiGHTS?

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
It's locked up inside an Ideya Palace. This time only yellow Ideya can unlock it.

Let's look at all the good things this game has going for it:

- Core gameplay intact from the Saturn original.
- Alternate controller options.
- Wii Forecast Channel for weather effects.
- Reala returns!
- Naofumi Hataya is composing the music for this game.
- Online features, possibly for the 2P mode.
- The release date has been pushed back for further polish.
- The levels look aesthetically pleasing and the graphics are improving as well.

There are other things I might have missed too. JoD should be good. If it's not then we've stumbled into a parallel universe which defies all logic where all good things are bad.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

It's locked up inside an Ideya Palace. This time only yellow Ideya can unlock it.

Let's look at all the good things this game has going for it:

- Core gameplay intact from the Saturn original.
- Alternate controller options.
- Wii Forecast Channel for weather effects.
- Reala returns!
- Naofumi Hataya is composing the music for this game.
- Online features, possibly for the 2P mode.
- The release date has been pushed back for further polish.
- The levels look aesthetically pleasing and the graphics are improving as well.

There are other things I might have missed too. JoD should be good. If it's not then we've stumbled into a parallel universe which defies all logic where all good things are bad.

You make a good case....

Yume

Yume

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Drawing,Anime, and Soccer(Go William)!
ANYTIME ANYGAME decides to do a sequal I beleive there's a call for legitimate fear. I mean, will the game live upto our expectations? Or will it miserably fail in ways we wish there never HAD been a sequal. Will the voice acting be great? Will the gameplay be silky smooth? Will there be an epic ending song? Will the game itself be epic? I believe it will be good. I have faith.*croses fingers*

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
I guess everyone needs a little faith for a sequel, especially one of this magnitude.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

ANYTIME ANYGAME decides to do a sequal I beleive there's a call for legitimate fear. I mean, will the game live upto our expectations? Or will it miserably fail in ways we wish there never HAD been a sequal. Will the voice acting be great? Will the gameplay be silky smooth? Will there be an epic ending song? Will the game itself be epic? I believe it will be good. I have faith.*croses fingers*

I don't think that fear necessarily extends to video games.

It certainly extends to movies, but video games are the rare medium in which sequels tend to improve upon their predecessors. To wit: Super Mario 3 vs. Super Mario 2. Smash Bros. Melee vs. Smash Bros. Metroid Prime 3 vs. Metroid Prime 2. The entire Grand Theft Auto series. The Halo trilogy. The entire Mortal Kombat series. The entire Final Fantasy series.

Granted, this trend is far from universal (*coughSoniccough*), but still. Technology improves and developers grow more savvy with time.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

I don't think that fear necessarily extends to video games.

It certainly extends to movies, but video games are the rare medium in which sequels tend to improve upon their predecessors. To wit: Super Mario 3 vs. Super Mario 2. Smash Bros. Melee vs. Smash Bros. Metroid Prime 3 vs. Metroid Prime 2. The entire Grand Theft Auto series. The Halo trilogy. The entire Mortal Kombat series. The entire Final Fantasy series.

Granted, this trend is far from universal (*coughSoniccough*), but still. Technology improves and developers grow more savvy with time.

What I am afraid of is not how the game play or looks. I fear that the game will lose the soul that put it into our hearts in the first place.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
What about Sonic 1 vs. Sonic 2, CD, 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Surely they were improvements over the first one. Unless, of course, you're thinking of the newer 3D games, then I agree.

Back on topic, I'm sure JoD is going to be good in its own right, much like all good sequels. Admit it, as good as JoD may be, nothing can replace the original. Just try to enjoy the game as its own experience just like you did for the first game. You'll find yourself enjoying sequels much more that way.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
Besides, even if this game ISN'T as legendary as the original, it's still THERE right? We asked for a sequel, we got one, SEGA did their best. We don't like it, poo on us...

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

What I am afraid of is not how the game play or looks. I fear that the game will lose the soul that put it into our hearts in the first place.

When did I say that it was only about gameplay or graphics? *reads the post again* Okay, let me be clearer.

All the examples I mentioned weren't just better because of technology or experience. They were better because the narrative kept improving. The Halo universe gets bigger and better with every installment. The Grand Theft Auto storyline gets more and more engaging. The Final Fantasy games keep improving on each other in terms of characterization. Smash Bros. Melee took the original concept and improved on it in every way possible. Metroid Prime 3 actually has voice acting and dialogue -- a first in the series. As for Mario... well, think about how far the entire Mario universe has come. Think about Mario and Luigi and Peach and Bowser as they are in any Paper Mario game. Now compare their presentations in that game to their presentations in the first Super Mario. The differences in characterization and appearance are indescribable.

Oh, and let's not forget Zelda. You wanna compare the storyline of Twilight Princess to the storyline of the original game? Be my guest.

More than ever, video games are being considered for their narrative and artistic value. This especially goes for games focused on a first-person experience like NiGHTS. The soul of the gaming franchises mentioned have all been nurtured to phenomenal growth over the years. I'm confident that NiGHTS will finally get the same TLC.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.

I think that's true for anything that gets major hype and is a 'really big deal', unlike something like Halo.

Star Wars, for example, always has major hype and fear. Fans were most likely disappointed when they saw Episode V, because it might not been as good as Episode IV (imo. I liked IV better). There's always the chance that it's not what a fan wants, and when the fan is unhappy, the money doesn't flow. And when the money doesn't flow... angry business man. Angry business man usually leads to bad games as well.

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
There is one thing that can be assured if NiGHTS does fail miserably.... We won't have to wait a decade for a new game! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users