Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS Speed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.

Posted Image

Well my friends, this is a small project of mine that I will be updating whenever the hell I can be arsed or motivated :blink:

It is aiming to be a complete art hack of everyone's favourite classic, Sonic the Hedgehog, but featuring NiGHTS characters and settings.

Work hasn't progressed much further than a few initial sprite changes and pallette edits, but I don't plan of showing the white flag anytime soon. It's a personal project of mine that I'd love to finish.

Anywho, I know this kind of thing isn't much use without screens, so here's a little progression line of screens for you : ).

Posted Image
^My first sprite. It sucked, so I made a new one.

Posted Image
^The replaced sprite, much more stylized and nicer on the eyes. Also note the pallete change for Green Hill, which will be edited into Spring Valley, thus the colour choice.

Posted Image
^Level Select. Name's edited and Mares instead of Zones. Also, the special stage's shall be replaced by some twisted inter dimensional Ideya Capture...thing. Im not quite sure :).

Posted Image
^HUD edited, and Life Icon changed. I used the good old Ignacio font as inspiration.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Some sprites I've made so far.

I have a good few ideas for this hack, you'd be surprised at how well NiGHTS fits into this game.

Rings > Blue Chips
Badniks > Minion Nightmaren (fit in extremely well ;) )
Giant End Ring > Ideya Capture Portal.. thing
Chaos Emeralds > Idyea, of course
Stages > Green Hill/ Spring Valley, Marble/ Splash Garden etc..
Boss > I will try my best to fit these in. I was thinking I could edit the giant ball of Green Hill into Puffy, and the machine at Marble into some form of Gulpo.

and a whole host of other little details.

I'll update when I can ! For now, your thoughts would be nice :)

-bret-

-bret-

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
That is really cool. I love the logo as well, I hope you import it into the title screen. :blink:

Will there be a demo anytime soon?

CORNSiLK

CORNSiLK

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS into Dreams (duh), fishing, hiking, NiGHTS, GillWing, dragons, chickens, beekeeping, walking, swimming, dreaming, psychology, bones, robotics, voice acting.
That's looking great so far!
I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.

Awesome sprites, too! Much better than my own attempts XD

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
oo, nice looking

if you need any help, you should go to zfgc.com. that stands for zelda fan gaming central, but they have more people focused on other things then zelda, and i'm sure you'd be able to find good spriters and programmers.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
This looks kick ass and if you ever put it up somewhere, I'm gonna jump on it! You're doing a good job with the editing and I really like the sprites. Very cool!

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
Kweee~ this is awsome. <3's~ X3 I love the sprites you made. ^__^ It's looking good so far. I can't wait to see the finished product.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
You crazy ass! That is bloody awesome. I'm kinda suprised nobody had attempted to do something like this before, being honest.

But, yes. Jof. If you do not finish this amazing project then we'll be in touch with Phuckle again. :|

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Oh wow, that looks fantastic. I LOVE those sprites. I love the touch of changing them to 'mares', pretty clever- little details like that are just great in things like this I think =) Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Edit: Oh, and that logo? AWESOME.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
Sonic 1 is all good, but how about a Sonic 3 and Knuckles hack? It could be NiGHTS and Reala, and they could transform into hyper/super NiGHTS and Reala. That would be awesome.

Moriarty

Moriarty

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

they could transform into hyper/super NiGHTS and Reala. That would be awesome.

No it wouldn't. this isn't DBZ.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.

No it wouldn't. this isn't DBZ.

OK, you could cover them in sparkles and make their colors get brighter. I still like my idea.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Meh. I don't think NiGHTS and Reala don't need to go 'super'. They have enough sparkles just from flying around normally. It doesn't seem to be their style to be all suped-up. Best save it for the hedgehog, eh?

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
Thanks for the feedback guys : D.

That is really cool. I love the logo as well, I hope you import it into the title screen. :)
Will there be a demo anytime soon?

I do plan on impoting the Logo onto the title screen, although how easy that will be remains to be seen : P.
As for a Demo, I plan on releasing a build once I'm comfortable enough changes have been made. I reckon once all NiGHTS sprites are done, and a level has been edited.

I'm kinda suprised nobody had attempted to do something like this before, being honest.
But, yes. Jof. If you do not finish this amazing project then we'll be in touch with Phuckle again. :|

I was surprised too, but there you go :mellow:
And you do know I'm going to have Nightmares of Phuckle now... I fear for what he'll do next o_o.

Sonic 1 is all good, but how about a Sonic 3 and Knuckles hack? It could be NiGHTS and Reala, and they could transform into hyper/super NiGHTS and Reala. That would be awesome.

It's a nice thought, but I don't know if you realise just how difficult Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the hack. Rotating palletes and cutscenes and shizz get in the way of it all.
As for the power ups, NiGHTS is kick-ass as he is : P He doesn't need powered up.

I'm going to be on holiday for 2 weeks come monday.. so don't expect any updates anytime soon =/

AirMax

AirMax

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:school-survival.net, NiD, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, anime, awesome, scoreattack.net

As someone on here said, "the Ideya emraldz!"

Get a demo out soon, I need some good games for that Gens emulator sitting around on my computer.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
You goin' away on holiday for two weeks? You can bring back a present for your friendly neighbourhood admins. WEH HEY!!! XD

Just a thought. Where will the musio be coming from? Will it be Sonic original level music or actual NiGHTS music? Just curious

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts

You goin' away on holiday for two weeks? You can bring back a present for your friendly neighbourhood admins. WEH HEY!!! XD

Just a thought. Where will the musio be coming from? Will it be Sonic original level music or actual NiGHTS music? Just curious

Yeah, last minute booking thing. I'm away to Turkey, although forgot where in Turkey exactly :mellow:.

Music wise, I plan on importing midi versions of the different NiGHTS stages and sound effects, but I'm having trouble finding them bar Frozen Bell and Splash Garden. It's not the highest priority until it comes to later on, and importing music is relatively simple as far as I understand.

However, If anyone has any links to any NiGHTS midi's, that'd be great :)

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yeh, NiGHTS midi's have always been on the rare side, hence why i asked. XP
We've got those weird midi files in our music page from Sonic Pinball Party. Check those out, if anything.

And you're going away to Turkey? Holy sh!t, dude. You're visiting my mother land. XD
Alright. Some advice for you before you bounce. Suncream - Be generous with it because you will burn your Scotish ass off. Water - Never drink water from the taps. Foodwise - Order 'Kofte' from a restaurant because it is godly...if you eat meat, that is. Culture - expect random bellydancing wherever, whenever. Language - calling someone a 'yarak' will result in you getting your face smashed in. Plate Smashing - This isn't Greece so don't expect that here.

Have a nice holiday and let me know how it goes when you get back. I wanna know whereabouts in Turkey you went.
Oh. Also. They recently had elections there....so expect some form of assasination to occur. Oh. And my fathers there, also right now. If you see him, say 'hello' from me. He should be with a Bulgarian woman and a daughter who looks exactly like Helen from JoD.

HAVE FUN! XD

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts

Yeh, NiGHTS midi's have always been on the rare side, hence why i asked. XP
We've got those weird midi files in our music page from Sonic Pinball Party. Check those out, if anything.

And you're going away to Turkey? Holy sh!t, dude. You're visiting my mother land. XD
Alright. Some advice for you before you bounce. Suncream - Be generous with it because you will burn your Scotish ass off. Water - Never drink water from the taps. Foodwise - Order 'Kofte' from a restaurant because it is godly...if you eat meat, that is. Culture - expect random bellydancing wherever, whenever. Language - calling someone a 'yarak' will result in you getting your face smashed in. Plate Smashing - This isn't Greece so don't expect that here.

Have a nice holiday and let me know how it goes when you get back. I wanna know whereabouts in Turkey you went.
Oh. Also. They recently had elections there....so expect some form of assasination to occur. Oh. And my fathers there, also right now. If you see him, say 'hello' from me. He should be with a Bulgarian woman and a daughter who looks exactly like Helen from JoD.

HAVE FUN! XD

I'll keep those Turkish tips in mind ; )... Kofte.. *scribbles that down*.
And I'm now on official Helen watch now : D. How wierd would that be if I bounced into them eh ?

I hope by some form of assination you're not alluding to that Phuckle chap tracking me down while I'm by the pool >_>

SEE YOU ALL SOON ! ^_^

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I've just gotta give you a pat on the back for this idea. lol.

Come to think of it though, what if aside form going Supersonic, Sonic merges with NiGHTS ^_^

(I wouldn't mind Supersonic being playable in NiGHTS games)

Gun6

Gun6

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Pokemon? (Also, spriting)
I hope you don't mind me hijacking your logo for free advertisement, hmm?

Good luck with the project, and that vacation sounds awesome. Hope you're having fun.

Roam

Roam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Gaming, Music,
Heh, I like what you've got so far, keep up the good work!

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests
Ah this reminds me,
A friend had found this fan made game. (Sonic game)
That had a mod so you could fly around NiGHTS style in a 3D background.
Characters were flat. (Like paper mario)
I don't remember where it is now.. but it would have been a great fan project if someone made some flat paper like NiGHTS for the game. (You can add your own characters to the game)

Gun6

Gun6

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Ah this reminds me,
A friend had found this fan made game. (Sonic game)
That had a mod so you could fly around NiGHTS style in a 3D background.
Characters were flat. (Like paper mario)
I don't remember where it is now.. but it would have been a great fan project if someone made some flat paper like NiGHTS for the game. (You can add your own characters to the game)

That would be Sonic Robo Blast 2, I think. :lol:

EDIT: Here's a video of it (the first 35 seconds are just loading/etc.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-90mrwsWdg

Guest_Ekairi_*

Guest_Ekairi_*
  • Guests

That would be Sonic Robo Blast 2, I think. :lol:

EDIT: Here's a video of it (the first 35 seconds are just loading/etc.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-90mrwsWdg

Yes thats it. :)
Thanks for finding it again.

Gun6

Gun6

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Yes thats it. :lol:
Thanks for finding it again.

No problamo, Ekairi...amo. >_>;; *flee*

PRiNCE

PRiNCE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, singing, NiGHTS, pie, NiGHTS, singing, NiGHTS, taters, NiGHTS, singing, NiGHTS,Sonic, and did I say NiGHTS? NiGHTS!
I said it on SSMB, and I'll say it here.

This hack is awesome-sauce! (I still don't know where I got that term. Eh.) Another tip from me is to try and replace the Egg-Capsule with an Iddeya Palace. I don't know if I said that already, so if I did. I just said it again, haha!

(SRB2 is the game, as you have been told. You can unlock Spring Garden or something like that, or download Botanic Serenity.)

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
HOW DID I MISS THIS O_O?!

Oh God... this is... 8D!

That would be awesome if this became a real game you could buy at, like, EB Games or something <_<!

Can't wait to see a Demo, Jof ^____^!

Gun6

Gun6

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Jof is back, yeaaay~!

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
=3 I saw this on SSMB...and I was like OMG. =D Keep up the good work.

KittyWhiggles

KittyWhiggles

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Oh, your sprites are too cute! so well done. i wish i could make mine move.

Gun6

Gun6

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
By the way, Jof, if you need any assistance with spriting, I'd be glad to help (I've been bored as of late).

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
That is the freaken' awesome! You really need to advertise this more! You know, a little song and dance, some advertising on DreamCast, anything to spread the word! (Runs from computer screen, does some dance moves.)

Edited by animejosse, 25 August 2007 - 10:23 AM.
Please don't quote a long post if you're not commenting anything specific. Thank you!

Gun6

Gun6

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
@ submas13: Um, I think that I'm doing enough advertisement by posting in 1/3 of the threads on this forum. >_>

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests

Maybe he can use some fan music based on the original music.

foxboy39

foxboy39

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
I do know this NiGHTS Into Dreams... remix from OC Remix; it is a remix of Soft Museum (I think it's the Angry version). If you want the link to the song, I can PM it to ya.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Be sure to ask the artist/s behind the fan-music for permission first. They probably won't mind, but better safe than sorry.

BLUECHIP20

BLUECHIP20

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Cant Wait to play it!
One question: how to you hack a game rom?

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Big question: When will you have a playable demo out?

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
Just a quick note to say that this project isn't dead or anything, I just havn't had *any* time to work on it. Learning how to edit the compressed art is a time consumer in itself.

On the question of music, I'm definately going with MiDi's ripped from Sonic Pinball Party. Everything I need is there, all I need is to find them somewhere :D

Big question: When will you have a playable demo out?

I wouldn't expect anything for a good wee while yet. I've not progressed much since the topic started, although I've been brainstorming ideas and developing concepts all the time.

I'm also going to re-edit the sprites aleady made to fit in more with a style I'm aiming to achieve.

Posted Image -> Posted Image

Guest_submas13_*

Guest_submas13_*
  • Guests
Are we going to need to download an emulator to play it, or will it be playable on its own?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users