Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Should there be voice acting in the sequel?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Guest_Vampire Killer_*

Guest_Vampire Killer_*
  • Guests
In the upcoming sequel for the Wii, in your folks own opinion, do you want voice acting for characters in the game? I'm beginning to think that good voice acting in video games is highly demanded these days. The Zelda franchise has not gone into voice acting yet and fans right now seem to be really demanding it. Psersonally, I'm pretty much in the middle position for voice acting, I don't really care if the sequel gets good voice acting or not as long if the game itself turns out good.

Moriarty

Moriarty

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Only if it's bloody good. Same for the game in general.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.

Only if it's bloody good. Same for the game in general.

agreed

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
In my opinion, voice acting in games serves the primary function of giving characters more personality and depth. If a game needs better characterization, that's often an indicator of at least a moderately vital story. Because of this, I think NiGHTS would probably be better off without a voice over. Lets face it, the original NiGHTS had little story to speak of and fairly shallow characterization. If JoD is the same, voice acting would likely add little or nothing to the gaming experience. Now if JoD is plot heavy, that's a different story entirely.

Exploding-Man

Exploding-Man

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Didn't the original NiGHTS have VA? While I have yet to play the original I remember hearing the Japanese Reala voice clip a long time ago.

Oh and some games are better off without Voice Acting. Zelda being one of them. I mean, its like reading a book and then seeing a movie. Sometimes its just better to read and imagine the voices than it is to actually hear someone elses idea of the voice.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
EPIAR.

In my opinion, the game needs to have as little dialogue as possible. The original NiGHTS game was very open-ended to the point where you could give all the characters their own personalities and names yourself. NiGHTS is great in that no two people experience it in the same way. Dialogue and voice acting limit that severely. This is also why Link has barely uttered a word -- in text or otherwise -- since his inception.

Keep voice acting and dialogue out of this game. Keep the tradition.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I think of NiGHTS as a character that normally doesn't really talk. Reala, Jackle, Wizeman perhaps, but I figure NiGHTS would remain relatively quiet. Other than the little grunt he gives when injured. So, no unless it becomes necessary to tell the story or add depth; maybe have a narrator or something..? But it's gotta be tasteful, yo. The Japanese track would most likely turn out fine, but I'd be weary of the English one.. after all, English dubs of Sonic games tend to be rather grating..

AirMax

AirMax

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:school-survival.net, NiD, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, anime, awesome, scoreattack.net

I think of NiGHTS as a character that normally doesn't really talk. Reala, Jackle, Wizeman perhaps, but I figure NiGHTS would remain relatively quiet. Other than the little grunt he gives when injured. So, no unless it becomes necessary to tell the story or add depth; maybe have a narrator or something..? But it's gotta be tasteful, yo. The Japanese track would most likely turn out fine, but I'd be weary of the English one.. after all, English dubs of Sonic games tend to be rather grating..

I agree with the narrator part. But, instead of in a actual language, it would be a dude or a chick person, speaking Nightmaren, with subtitles that go with the region. Then, at the end of the game, it would be Claris and Elliot.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

I agree with the narrator part. But, instead of in a actual language, it would be a dude or a chick person, speaking Nightmaren, with subtitles that go with the region. Then, at the end of the game, it would be Claris and Elliot.

Hmm.. like in Rayman, or Okami, or Shadow of the Colossus, or Panzer Dragoon..Nightopia's own language.. interesting idea, that could work

catchan2007

catchan2007

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Drawing<br />Writing<br />Anime/manga (Fav titles include D. Gray-man, Buso Renkin, Gurren Lagann and a few more but if I typed it all out, there'd be no space left!!)
I'm okay with voice acting as long as they're not from 4Kids (they bug the hell outta me).

Wizeman1213

Wizeman1213

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:NiD, NiD, and more NiD
Ugh, voice acting?!? I think that would kind of ruin the chance for the gamer to imagine what he/she/it would sound like! I say nay to the voice acting! :(

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
Humans speaking would be fine. If NiGHTS talked, it would be okay with me if he only said junk like "OUCH!" and "REALA, HOW COULD YOU DO THIS?!" You know, the basics. No big speeches.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.

Humans speaking would be fine. If NiGHTS talked, it would be okay with me if he only said junk like "OUCH!" and "REALA, HOW COULD YOU DO THIS?!" You know, the basics. No big speeches.

QFT

Guest_Ideya Fairy_*

Guest_Ideya Fairy_*
  • Guests
I’m on the border line of Yes or No.

But if there is voice acting, it better not be like dubbed Sailor Moon.

salem norongachi

salem norongachi

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Drinking and being drunk XD<br />I used to enjoy the odd doodle, though these days all i can muster is a shoddy Oekaki pic :( <br />I love to write and RP, i think thats my main passion these days :)<br />I am a major game freak and it wasn't until wayyyy after NiGHTS was released that i actually played it though when i got my Saturn off a mate i had Christmas NiGHTS and played it often but i had no idea it was such a popular game 0_0<br />It was Kiara/Avenrir/Nightmaren or whatever handle you know her by that introduced me to the actual NiGHTS into Dreams game and my god was i addicted, i ain't a hardcore fan like most of the folks here but i love that purple dude and i think thats enough XD
i agree with Wizeman1213, i think voice acting is okay in certain games but i find it ruins the voice's you had in your head for the chars.

KyraWolf

KyraWolf

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Like, if they were say... to have Wizeman, and the kids and their family talk, thats ok. I can deal with that, but like NiGHTS, Reala and all those...

No. Just... no. ONE, as we all know, nightmaren are genderless. Voice acting may ruin this, as they might cast a girl's voice for NiGHTS when you have some fans (Like myself) who refur to NiGHTS as male and be VERY dissapointed. Or they might cast a girl for Reala, which WOULD make fans cry another Niagra falls.

So, no. Voice acting for me is a no; at least for the maren anyway.

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I'd like a gibberish language with subtitles for NiGHTS, cause it just seems really dreamlike. Or even for the kids in dreams. Then, you could probably get away with it not being as good, since overdone emotions seem more normal if the meaning of the word isn't there... but if there's normal speech? It had better be good. If it IS good though, yeah, I'd like that. Though NiGHTS speaking... eh, I'd rather he didn't speak in any way at all too often, since the ambiguity as to what it's saying and thinking is nice- the fact it's in a dream means you can obviously read pretty much ANYTHING into it- and I'm usually actually more interested in the kids since it's their dreams. Ehh.

g10 woRM

g10 woRM

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
A silent story can tell so much more than one that speaks. I love picture books because they press the artist to create something meaningful and expressive; something beyond words. Just like the first game. ( ^-^)

I hate voice-over anime too :< Funimation HQ is one town over. Eeeeew~

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
To be honest, I see the storyline of the original video game almost like ballet. Seriously, think about it. There's no dialogue and no singing -- instead, the story is told through costumes, sets, movements, expressions and music. It's beautiful. It's pure. The sequel needs to maintain that purity.

KyraWolf

KyraWolf

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

To be honest, I see the storyline of the original video game almost like ballet. Seriously, think about it. There's no dialogue and no singing -- instead, the story is told through costumes, sets, movements, expressions and music. It's beautiful. It's pure. The sequel needs to maintain that purity.

EXACTLY.

shadow1111111

shadow1111111

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Hmm.. like in Rayman, or Okami, or Shadow of the Colossus, or Panzer Dragoon..Nightopia's own language.. interesting idea, that could work

...OKAMI!... I love that game... The gibberish in that game worked surprisingly well, which would have been appreciated in Zelda TP because when Midna had her own little rant, she made gibberish sounds too, and then someone else would talk, and it would be silent, and it just went outta place. Maybe JoD will do something similar like yall are saying. (sorry, I'm a southern American. yall= you all contraction pronounced like it's spelled)

catchan2007

catchan2007

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Drawing<br />Writing<br />Anime/manga (Fav titles include D. Gray-man, Buso Renkin, Gurren Lagann and a few more but if I typed it all out, there'd be no space left!!)
I like the idea of a nonsense language; it makes me think of dreaming. Of course, they must have subtitles for the region so that the player knows what they're saying.

Okami and Twilight Princess rock! XD

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I agree about nonsense talk. I think it would be perfectly fine. It worked great in Okami and Banjo-Kazooie. The nice thing about it is gibberish talk can give characters a little extra personality without them actually saying anything. You don't need to worry about crappy acting either.

Guest_Nephenee_*

Guest_Nephenee_*
  • Guests
They should keep the characters silent. The original game expressed their personalities quite well, and I think they should, (and probably will,) hold on to that shtick. Except for the Maren of course, they should probably have a bit more VA.

I think voice acting would put a damper on the game. They have big shoes to fill in for this one, I don't think they'd risk ruining the game's flow.

Who knows? Maybe they'll just do dialouge and no voice acting?

Rick Hunter

Rick Hunter

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I think voice acting will apear in the game, however we're talking about sega here, so the voice acting will likely be done by the cast of the SonicX tv series... which I might point out is horrible, especially the English voices.

DREAMiNF

DREAMiNF

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Location:British Columbia, Otherwise known as Hell Recreated
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Final Fantasy, Guitar, and thats about it XD
Yea for the Humans, but for the Marens and Dream people I want them to be Mutes but if get get hit they have somesort of pain grunt (UH!), For an Exception for Wiseman and Reala, cant have a NiGHTS game where Reala says something everyone who beaten the game will question later on ^^;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users