Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I hate Gillwing

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

captain boombatty

captain boombatty

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Gillwing is a bloody nightmare - I get NiGHTS out every now and again and after all this time, he's still screwing me over. I apologise if this topic has been posted before but I haven't checked in for a while but this is driving me up the wall. I can beat all the other bosses and know how to do them all quickly but with Gillwing its alway more luck than anything else!!

I always rack up a big score and then consistently run out of time on gillwing cause i dont know how to beat him properly. Ive seen videos of how people beat him quickly but surely there is an easier way!! It just seems far too tricky to get over/under and around his tail - is there no way you can dash into his head and then beat him while he regrows?? The wierd thing is - I can beat him much more easily on xmas NiGHTS (i guess ive just been luckier playing that) but it would be great to hear how other people beat him.

Its really frustrating cause he's one of the 1st bosses - so it shouldnt been the most difficult boss in the game (and for me, he's exactly that!)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
What I usually do is grab his chin and punt.. fly forward and let him regrow and repeat till he dead. Doesn't take that long, and it's a surefire victory. I know you can Paraloop near his head and get him that way, but it's a bit tricky. Good luck!

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, dreaming, psychology, drawing, games (board and video), game design (board and video), photography, Sega, retrogaming, computer programming, and so on and so on.
Sadly, in order to defeat Gillwing, you pretty much have to pick one of the two strategies and stick with it. Either A) repeatedly grab him by the face and Drill Touch him until he dies, or B) do that weird backward-loop-under-his-tail thing that I still can't do on the first try. But, if you REALLY screw one of them up, it tends to be difficult to switch to the other and still have time. My suggestion is this: just figure out which one you're better at and get better at it from there. Once you've mastered the one, switch to the other. Don't try to combine them; it'll only make you lose time.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
It's no Gulpo.

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
I never could get the hang of paralooping in front of his head. I always had to grab onto his head and drill dash him. lol

captain boombatty

captain boombatty

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I can do both the paralooping of his head and the old grab and dash but these seem to take far too many goes to get him to die. (In fact I heard from somewhere that it wasn't even possible to kill him this way! - which is why ive always gone for the tail at the risk of running out of time for failing to pull it off!) Does anyone know how many head grabs it takes to kill him - It surely cant be possible to get anything better than a 1.5 with this technique can it? - but paralooping the tail is just far too hard!

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

I can do both the paralooping of his head and the old grab and dash but these seem to take far too many goes to get him to die. (In fact I heard from somewhere that it wasn't even possible to kill him this way! - which is why ive always gone for the tail at the risk of running out of time for failing to pull it off!) Does anyone know how many head grabs it takes to kill him - It surely cant be possible to get anything better than a 1.5 with this technique can it? - but paralooping the tail is just far too hard!

I forget the time offhand, but that's the way to kill him- gradually knock him down until he's only a head, and then he's done. You definitely won't run out of time. Hit him, then let him regrow and approach him and hit him again. Just make sure you give him space to fully regrow or you'll get hit.

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, dreaming, psychology, drawing, games (board and video), game design (board and video), photography, Sega, retrogaming, computer programming, and so on and so on.
You can generally complete the "head throw" method in roughly half the time allotted, allowing for mistakes and maybe getting hit a couple of times. But it still doesn't get you much of a score modifier. And what's this about Paralooping in front of him? Wouldn't that just get you hit? The "quick win" method involves coming dangerously close to his tail and laying down a Paraloop trail where it's going to be, then doubling back and completing it after you're out of striking distance.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
I usually fly in front of his face downward, then as he flies through my star trail, I fly over his head then connect to make a paraloop. I can usually take him out in 2-3 hits and get a 1.8 to 1.9. ^,^ Handy hits from Zeke.

captain boombatty

captain boombatty

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

I usually fly in front of his face downward, then as he flies through my star trail, I fly over his head then connect to make a paraloop. I can usually take him out in 2-3 hits and get a 1.8 to 1.9. ^,^ Handy hits from Zeke.

Thanks - i'm gonna try this out later! Id love to be able to consistently pull of the tail paraloop but there is nothing more annoying than failing to beat this boss. I always rack up my biggest scores only to lose out otherwise! Cheers everyone.

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Interesting, that... I think I tried something similar to that back when I didn't understand the 2.0 strategy. But, since I thought that was how to do a one-hit-kill, I would always overextend my attack and just get hit instead.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Hm.. so, in effect, it is possible to do a giant Paraloop around the entirety of Gillwing? I'll probably try it.. and fail ;)

DMN

DMN

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I've never gotten a 2.0 on NiGHTS. I always beat gilwing by drill-dashing his current head of, flying back for a moment so it can re-grow, then dash 'im again. I usually get around a 1.6, I think.

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Hm.. so, in effect, it is possible to do a giant Paraloop around the entirety of Gillwing? I'll probably try it.. and fail :P

No, that's what I thought you were supposed to do. Believe me, it doesn't work.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

No, that's what I thought you were supposed to do. Believe me, it doesn't work.

Ah ok, cause at his size, and the rate he moves, it didn't sound that feasible, unless it was done at the last or near to last stage. got me wondering if you could Paraloop Jackle when he's floating back to his cloak though.

Wizeman1213

Wizeman1213

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:NiD, NiD, and more NiD
I've never tried the paraloop trick. Maybe that's why I keep getting only 1.4 bonuses. :D

salem norongachi

salem norongachi

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Drinking and being drunk XD<br />I used to enjoy the odd doodle, though these days all i can muster is a shoddy Oekaki pic :( <br />I love to write and RP, i think thats my main passion these days :)<br />I am a major game freak and it wasn't until wayyyy after NiGHTS was released that i actually played it though when i got my Saturn off a mate i had Christmas NiGHTS and played it often but i had no idea it was such a popular game 0_0<br />It was Kiara/Avenrir/Nightmaren or whatever handle you know her by that introduced me to the actual NiGHTS into Dreams game and my god was i addicted, i ain't a hardcore fan like most of the folks here but i love that purple dude and i think thats enough XD
Me i was never much for strategy and so when i fought the big snizzle mon fizzle that is the G to the ill to the wing i just charged in head first and grabbed his big ass face and smacked him into oblivion XD
Although i did hear tell of someone beating him in one hit 0_0

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yeah, that's the "paraloop-the-tail" thing we keep talking about.

salem norongachi

salem norongachi

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Drinking and being drunk XD<br />I used to enjoy the odd doodle, though these days all i can muster is a shoddy Oekaki pic :( <br />I love to write and RP, i think thats my main passion these days :)<br />I am a major game freak and it wasn't until wayyyy after NiGHTS was released that i actually played it though when i got my Saturn off a mate i had Christmas NiGHTS and played it often but i had no idea it was such a popular game 0_0<br />It was Kiara/Avenrir/Nightmaren or whatever handle you know her by that introduced me to the actual NiGHTS into Dreams game and my god was i addicted, i ain't a hardcore fan like most of the folks here but i love that purple dude and i think thats enough XD
Makes sense, I've attempted it once i believe but after it failed i got pissed at the big gloating git and drilled him to death XD

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
You see the vid of that one person who defeated Gill with 115 seconds remaing? Insane man

salem norongachi

salem norongachi

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
heard of it though never actually watched it

Q-Lok

Q-Lok

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

You see the vid of that one person who defeated Gill with 115 seconds remaing? Insane man

Seen it. Actually, it can be done three seconds faster. You have to start moving before the level even fully loads. If done correctly (which is nigh unto impossible), you can defeat Gillwing in just under 2 seconds -- the timer reads 118. If there's a video of it, though, I don't know about it. However, yes, Tabithaboof is truly amazing with her killingness of Gillwing.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I just watched it.. that's a nifty little trick! I'll try that.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
But, the game has a glitch that gives you only 118 seconds on each boss instead of the full 2 minutes. o.o You'd have to beat the timer totally.

Monophobe

Monophobe

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
For those that haven't seen it - Gillwing with 115s remaining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifhGdWoj5x4

I still can't get it.

Machenstein

Machenstein

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Here's another one, except the player flew right through Gillwing's tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMfdAR4OKU...ted&search=

Miles

Miles

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Seen it. Actually, it can be done three seconds faster. You have to start moving before the level even fully loads.

And how exactly would you do that? >_>

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

And how exactly would you do that? >_>

Press in one direction and hope for the best? Though with my luck I'd probably fly straight into him...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users