Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I decided to make this thread with TRiPPY's permission because I'm often too weary to talk about my problems online. I'll make an exception here because this could be a learning experience with those who currently suffer from an anxiety disorder. Whether it be generalized anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, insomnia, or everything in between, I'm sure we can all engage in meaningful dialogue about our condition.

Personally, I've been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the past three years, and I have found little relief. I have only been able to find short term relief through intense exercise, and that's it. I tried a couple anti-depressants but they didn't work at all, and while benzos such as Xanax provide temporary relief, they don't get rid of the problem entirely. Plus, they negatively affect your digestive system, so it's not recommended to stay on them for too long.

Does anyone else here have any experience with anxiety? If you are a current or ex-sufferer, please feel free to share your thoughts or advice.

SammyKleww

SammyKleww

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I feel bad replying to this post when I don't have any tips or tricks to control anxiety, but I feel the need to post in this topic anyway.

I think I have severe anxiety and paranoia. I often can't accept compliments from anyone relating to my art or novels and I sort of get flattered for a moment, and then think "Oh they're just saying that because of X reason." I have an odd nervous tick to scratch at any imperfections on my shoulders, arms and legs if I feel anxious. I can barely trust my closest friends in fear that they despise me or find me to be a bothersome pest that they'd rather just get rid of. I think my parents are very disappointed in me and they belittle me. When I know I irritated a friend, I feel extremely guilty for a long period of time and I beat myself up over it, even if they say it's fine, I can't believe them no matter how hard I try. It eventually results in me hiding away from people and distancing myself from them because I don't want to hurt them or annoy them with my problems, especially since they want to help but can't. They can't help no matter what they say or do and it hurts to admit that. I hate making them feel like dirt at my expense, and I wish there was a way for them to help me but I can't figure it out for the life of me, and nothing I do is ever good enough. Sometimes, I get paranoid to sleep at night because of ants and other bugs biting me.

I'm probably very close to agoraphobia actually, in hindsight. I don't like leaving my house.

I'm not medicated, or seeing a therapist. I know I should, but I haven't been able to. I find that when I'm having a panic attack, soothing music helps me calm down faster, but that's about all I got for you.

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Hmm... I don't want to alarm you, but you could have an anxiety disorder. It's either that or you simply have problems with your self-image. Then again, maybe that's the root of all anxiety disorders.

From what I can tell from your post, you are articulate and you have great empathy for others, not wanting to dump your problems unto everyone else. I know people don't often want to hear about other people's problems, but the world is so full of problems that it's impossible to ignore. I say that if we want to stop hearing about problems, then we should do everything in our power to fix them first. It's as simple as that.

Out of curiosity, what sensations do you experience during panic attacks? I mostly experience shortness of breath and racing thoughts. Everyone experiences different sensations during panic attacks, so don't be worried if your sensations aren't the same as mine.

SammyKleww

SammyKleww

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I've already considered the possibility and I demanded a therapist from my father as soon as I discovered it. I don't want to self diagnose or any of that nonsense, but it's pretty close to what I have. Only a professional will be able to determine it though.

It's ironic, actually. I'm not very articulate at all. Not when it comes to describing my emotions at a given time or explaining how I feel about something. I can talk about symptoms easy; to me they're just symptoms to a disorder. Though ask me about anything related to my feelings, I get confused as I try hard to explain a simple emotion or feeling. I guess I can be both extremely articulate or really terrible with my words, depending on the subject and my current mood.

I do care for others, at least. I do want to fix my problems, but some of the greatest things that bother me are far out of my control, though I suppose I could be going to therapy for that. 

Hmm... My heart rate increases, my breath deepens (Well, when I'm trying to calm down when I'm aware of of a panic attack), I'm very shaky and fidgety, I tend to cry, Excess amount of panic, racing thoughts that make the panic worse by creating a terrible scenario to the situation that is already bothering me, headaches, stomach aches, and afterwards, exhaustion. I don't listen to anyone during a panic attack, I physically can't listen to them, I hear/see them saying it's fine but I can't believe them no matter how much I want to.

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

It's good to get a proper diagnosis, but be aware that most therapists will simply prescribe medication to you, which isn't the first solution you should try out. I believe the first things anxiety sufferers should try are cardiovascular exercise and dietary changes. Cut out the caffeine and eat foods that support feelings of good health for your body and mind. Foods I would recommend are complex carbohydrates and foods rich in antioxidants. I hear chamomile tea is very good for anxiety too, but I have only tried cheap brands you can find at various supermarkets. I don't know how effective specialty brands are, so feel free to give them a try if you have the money.

Also keep in mind that uncertainty about your condition is in and of itself a sign of an anxiety condition. Anxiety breeds uncertainty, and uncertainty stints your ability to fully articulate your feelings. If you get an anxiety diagnosis from your therapist, refrain from looking for further confirmation of your condition and actively look for solutions instead. Most therapists have never suffered from an anxiety disorder, so all they can do is just give you "coping" techniques instead of a permanent solution.

Ex-sufferers have a better chance at understanding our condition more than therapists do, and ex-sufferers do exist. I know anxiety and panic attacks are treatable, I just haven't found the solution yet. I see a lot of promising looking programs created by ex-sufferers, but most of them cost money for some reason or another. The Linden Method, for example, seems to be popular with a lot of people, I just haven't been able to afford it. Charles Linden seems to know what he's talking about though, so I would give his videos on anxiety a look.

SammyKleww

SammyKleww

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

That's not exactly the ideal way to treat anxiety disorders, but alas, if it comes down to it then so be it. I just want to stop feeling like this. I don't think it has anything to do with my diet, as I've tried to cut out caffeine and eat better previously. It only made me feel sad because I couldn't eat the foods I wanted to eat. I have a semi-healthy diet as it is though. I do like tea, but only peppermint with a lot of sugar. I don't have a lot of money, so that special tea is a no go.

I have a lot of uncertainty. I'm never really certain on anything... It's very likely that I do have an anxiety disorder, but like I said, I should get a professional opinion on the matter. Though I'll try to find a therapist who has experience with Anxiety disorders because coping does not equal getting rid of it.

I would look into that person, however, I doubt I'd be able to buy their product anyway... No money, as I've stated before. Though, can you give me a link to those videos you mentioned? They might be of use...

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

You can find the videos on YouTube, just type Charles Linden in the search bar and you should see them. Between you and me, you can also... ahem... "torrent" the Linden Method, but you won't have access to the support staff to help you with the material. I'm sure there are cheaper programs out there, but the Linden Method is the most promising one I see so far. I also hear there are books by Claire Weekes that could help, but I only heard about her just today. If I find any useful PDF files, I'll be sure to post them here.

SammyKleww

SammyKleww

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Torrent it? I didn't think that was possible. I'll look into the videos though. Thank you.

I'll look Claire Weekes up as well, and I'll let you know if I find anything to help you with your anxiety disorder. I'm here if you need to vent as well as just to talk to about anxiety issues and the lot.

Edit: I recently came up with an interesting idea; why not try writing down your anxiety and phobias and troubles onto a piece of scrap paper and burning it? Like, to burn away your troubles.

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

It's been a few weeks, but I think I found something important that could help treat anxiety.

http://articles.merc...ing-method.aspx

It's called the Buteyko Breathing Method. I haven't read the whole article at the time I posted this, but it seems absolutely vital in treating anxiety symptoms. It's even covered in the Linden Method manual.

This part of the article should be of interest:

Breathing Exercise to Quell Panic Attacks and Anxiety

Another breathing exercise that can help if you’re experiencing anxiety or panic attacks, or if you feel very stressed and your mind can’t stop racing is the following: Take a small breath into your nose; a small breath out; hold your nose for five seconds in order to hold your breath, and then release to resume breathing. Breathe normally for 10 seconds. Repeat the sequence: Small breath in through your nose; small breath out; hold your breath for five seconds, then let go and breathe normally for 10 seconds. This sequence helps retain and gently accumulate carbon dioxide, leading to calmer breathing and reduces anxiety. In other words, the urge to breathe will decline as you go into a more relaxed state.

SammyKleww

SammyKleww

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

That actually might help a lot. I've also been thinking of ways to relieve anxiety, and I came up with a few things;

One was inspired by my friend DP, where you fold a paper star (Or just a piece of paper) and you write something negative on it (Like a fear or an anxiety you have) and you put it in a jar. When your jar is full, you burn away/wash away/destroy the negative thoughts and you're left with just an empty jar to begin the cycle again.

Another idea I had was to get a safety item-- or in my case, to make one--- That you'd carry around with you and when you're having a panic attack, squeeze it to help calm down faster.

I also find that drawing/writing/ranting at people helps me calm down.

I haven't made the safety item yet nor have I filled up the jar, but I think these things will help and I hope they can help you too.

SammyKleww

SammyKleww

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Bumping up this thread, I don't know if you saw my ideas for dealing with anxiety or not... I guess I can post an update here as well.

I realized that I'm the most anxious when I'm in a large crowd of people I don't know. I just want to hide away from everyone and keep to myself. I also learned today that sitting next to a stranger on the bus is greatly unsettling. Also, driving is terrifying for me because I'm terrified I'm going to hit someone and kill someone because I'm too careless. I don't want that responsibility in my hands, thank you very much...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users