Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Contacting Sega about the control problems

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Danwarb

Danwarb

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Nice. So at the very least we know it's being looked at.

The reply I recieved:

Thank you for contacting SEGA Europe.

We sincerely appreciate your comments here at SEGA and have passed them on to the developers.

We will be in contact would we need further information.

Thank you again for your feedback

Best regards,

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Even if they are sending out a standard response it's important that we stay positive and get a large enough following to support this patch. We cannot give up this easily.

I haven't had too much time these last couple of days, but I would like to reach out to other forums and social sites to get their involvement as well.

There are a lot of people that bought this game that do not visit these forums so we need to get as many people involved as possible.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

The controls in the HD version seem to have been re-calibrated for the D-pad instead of the analog stick. It's something I elaborated on in a previous post, as seen here:

I see what you mean. This may explain why I am now getting the hang of the analog controls. I am still not seeing much of an issue. The more I play the game, the more I get used to it. Maybe it is hard for them to fix such a problem if they are unsure of what is the real problem? I still think these controls are worlds better than JOD and it even feels better than the PS2 version. Maybe it is just me though.

cardmonster

cardmonster

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
^ Absolutely. *Everyone* who's bothered by this issue should contact Sega and help strengthen the case for a patch.

NiiGHTS

NiiGHTS

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
A patch could fix one problem and then create more problems elsewhere...

cardmonster

cardmonster

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That's a bizarre, hypothetical notion. The game should control as well as its 16 year-old predecessor and offer true analogue control. The rest is conjecture.

cardmonster

cardmonster

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I received the following after inquiring about the likelihood of the issue being fixed:

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting SEGA Europe.

We are sorry but we can not give explicit information at the moment, The developer are aware of the issues, and
working to find a solution.

Best regards,

Product Support
SEGA Europe Ltd.
www.sega.co.uk

I have to say, that does sound more promising! :)

Edit: Apologies for the double post!

Duplex

Duplex

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

A patch could fix one problem and then create more problems elsewhere...

If they put in additional code in the game's programming, maybe. But if analog controls are already in the game, only unused, then it's just a matter of using already existing code. The PS2 version had analog controls, and this version is based on that, so I think it's still possible.

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
I wish I could message support, but it feels wrong complaining about a game I don't even own.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Can I ask again that everyone posts their message or sends it to me offline?

It's really important that we gather all of the responses for SEGA in one place so they can see the level of support we have. I will do everything to make sure it gets in the right hands.

Chao Freak 1

Chao Freak 1

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Space Channel 5, NiGHTS, VOCALOID, the Dream Dimention, Art
Haha. Haven't posted here in forever! Still, noticed the control issues and this was my ticket.

Hey guys. So I got NiGHTS recently and noticed that the controls were a bit... clunky? square? I dunno. Didn't think too much of it, but after I beat it, I haven't really played the 360 version since. Plugged in my PS2 and played the Japanese release instead. After snooping around on some fan sites I realized that the controls have become a little less free and hard to control. Just hoping that we might be able to fly in actual circles in the future.
Still love the port a whole lot~ Already made a whole bunch of my friends buy it and they love it, but even their scores decreased since I made them play the SEGA Ages release.
Hope to see more HD ports in the future! Loving JSR and SA2 as well!

But I still have the PS2 version and play that regularly, so this really too much of an issue on my end. のワの
I am wondering though while the controls are pretty much spot on in the PS2 release, and this port is based on that, why the controls are so different...

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Thanks ChaoFreak for posting your message!

We should also start spreading the message on the SEGA forums so they can see the support over there as well. The more we reach out to them the better.

Someone else has already started a topic over there: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?423758-The-controls-they-re-killin-me-PATCH-please!

EDIT: This is the message I sent to Sega of America Support. I also sent it as a message on Facebook and Sega Forums.

Hi SEGA,

I would like to start off by saying thank you for releasing NiGHTS into Dreams HD for the PSN and XBLA. I ordered them both on their launch day as I am a long time fan of the original NiGHTS on Sega Saturn.

Being a dedicated fan I created the site nidscores.com a few years back to keep track of high scores and discuss strategies, and I am an active fan on the nightsintodreams.com forums. I have also uploaded more than 100 NiGHTS videos on my YouTube channel NiGHTScharlie. You will see that I have the top scores in the world on the Sega Saturn and I have some of the top scores on both the PS3 (PSNID: gillwing) and 360 (Gamertag: czarlie).

When I started playing the PS3 and 360 versions I noticed that the controls are unresponsive. It almost seems as if the analogue controls are limited to 8 directions so it's almost impossible to fly in subtle directions. You will either fly straight because you cannot turn, or you will turn too much. Either way you will have a difficult time collecting the chips or the rings, which is the main objective of the game.

I have seen responses from many fans expressing the same concerns, and I have seen comments from new users saying they will not buy the game until these control issues are fixed. If it's possible to improve the controls with a patch it would be helpful for both the fans and the newcomers. It will make it easier for people to learn the game and it will keep people playing longer.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that a patch is possible to fix the controls.

Here are a couple of videos that fans and reviewers uploaded to show the control issue:

Thanks,
Charlie Restivo (charlierestivo@gmail.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users