Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Saturn NiGHTS on android

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Mountain biking, Android, Surfing, Retro Games, TV, Hiking, Fishing, Movies
Paul Lamb is porting Yabause a Sega Saturn Emulator for pc to android. Its in pre beta but already plays Albert odessey almost full speed. I tried my NiGHTS and it runs very slow but everything seems perfect besides that. In able to beat the first mare extremely slowly but still amazes me its on my phone.
Anyway it needs a lot of work still but Paul updates his port of mupen64plus regularly so hopefully the same holds true with project.

The touchscreen set up seems like it will work well, but it hard to tell this slow. I have an xperia so hopefully it soon supports that as well like his mupen.

http://www.paulscode...ba7&topic=200.0

Posted Image

CortexReaver

CortexReaver

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, history of computing, philosophy, design, music.
This is cool. It would be better if it supports virtual analog stick, which is often used in many games for touch devices.
Is anyone porting Yabause or other Saturn emulator to iOS?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Interesting..

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Mountain biking, Android, Surfing, Retro Games, TV, Hiking, Fishing, Movies
I not positive but I don't believe anyone is tryiing a IOs port unfortunately... its open source though so its not out of the question eventually.
To get this playable he still needs to port the renderer to GLES and get the dynarec engaged which is giving ossues, and sound of coarse.

As for the controls Paul n64 emulator lets you switch dpad and analog so that should be easy for him to throw in.
Also I should note that the background being black glitch only happens with Claire.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Aww snap, this is extremely encouraging! I hadn't followed the Yabause development in quite some time, since I've basically stopped trying to track any Saturn emulator besides SSF. However, I'm a HUGE fan of android dev and knowing that someone's trying to get Saturn up on it is a real pick-me-up. Of course its going to be a huge challenge, since Saturn emu itself has been about as fun to get right as clenchy a fistful of rusty nails, let alone getting it done on more restrictive and slower cpu/gpu hardware like smartphones have. I'm hoping that his port goes well enough to at least reach 50-75% speed, if not fullspeed.

Thanks for this info, I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for it. :D

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:SEGA video gaming, Creative Writing, Origami, acting
I don't understand the instructions. I'd like to play though
Can anyone help?

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Its not to bad download this on your phone(I do it on my phones browser)
http://www.paulscode...useAE-debug.apk

Then you need the get the bios off Google. Get the all regions its like the first result off looking "sega Saturn bios"

Then get nights into dreams copy. It might come in several formats
Bin/cue= your good
Iso=your good
Mkv/anything else= rename to bigger file to .iso and try
I noticed that most of the Europe nights copy are bin/cue while the usa are mkv

Then put game/bios on your phone somehow and where you can remember( I made a folder called Saturn) but putting it in downloads folder is easy too

Open yabause on your phone and go to select bios, find the files you moved earlier and pick the Usa or Europe bios
Then select game, and pick the game cue/iso

With nights you have to press start repeatedly to will the intro it wont play.

Also he hasn't worked on it in a while...some jackass filed a false dmca agianst his main project mupen64, so that slowed things up I think...

Edit: updated the link

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...
Thought I'd posted here. This is an awesome thing indeed! I'd love to try it out! It boggles my mind how people can do stuff like this. Next up - Tomb Raider 1 Android =P

The first time I played XMas NiGHTS after being a kid was using SSF. I got it to run quite smoothly, with a few hiccups here and there, but it was definitely playable. Nothing like buying it last year and actually playing with the 3D controller I bought then as well, though... :D

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well for anyone interested there's good news. Someone on the yabause forums built Paul emulator with dynamic recompiler and it massivly improved thee framerate with Nights. It now loold to be pretty playable 30-40 up from what I was doing at 1-2. Take a look!

Paul is now working on the audio!

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...

Well for anyone interested there's good news. Someone on the yabause forums built Paul emulator with dynamic recompiler and it massivly improved thee framerate with Nights. It now loold to be pretty playable 30-40 up from what I was doing at 1-2. Take a look!

Paul is now working on the audio!

NiGHTS working on an iPad? XO

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

NiGHTS working on an iPad? XO

Nah thats a asus transformer tablet it runs android.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Oh man. This project is looking intense already! I'm gonna have to start following this more closely...best of luck going forward!

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have some excellent news especially if you have an iphone/ipad!

Paul has been MIA for a while now, he is getting out of the airforce and finding a steady job. Also Yabause is not his main project, he also now has a commercial app and he has stated himself that he may not be able to contribute Much in the way of emu speed without help from the yabause team.

Luckily someone else has taken interest and released his version of Yabause for Android/IOS/weeks

Its Robert broglia and you cant ask for a much better dev for emulation on portable devices.
He has 8 other emus, one of them being the only emulator for mobiles that supports Sega CD games(MD.Emu) and SNES9x ex which I found plays way better then SNESoid

Tonite he released Saturn.Emu, Its got his great gui that he uses in his others including graphics filters so you can do scanline,CRT, etc
To keep a retro look. This also adds save states.

Only bad news is it about the same speed as of right now but he specializes in emulators and hopefully gets thing going. He has noted before the dynarec seems wonky.
I think the fact he got this running on iOS without help from the yabause team speaks for his skills as well, even though im not sure if it has a dynarec yet which would make it slower then android.

His website
http://www.explusalpha.com

Twitter
http://twitter.com/#%21/rakashazi

Edit: Going into settings>video>frameskip set it from auto to 0 and its noticeably faster then Pauls id even say 2x as fast,even with sound enabled for NiGHTS :)

CROSSiNG

CROSSiNG

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Let's see: Making music, books, video games, oh yeah and NiGHTS.
What phone do you have, droidsaturn? Some of the older androids have difficulty with complex apps.

Anyway, considering I'm getting an android MP3 player shortly, this should be an awesome stress test.

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Right now I have a Sony Xperia Play, by no means powerful anymore(Single core Processor). Its a early 2011 phone with mid 2010 hardware.

The only requirement I believe that would hinder old devices from at least running this is that Saturn.Emu needs an Arm7 Chipset, im not sure when phones moved on from Arm6 but I think 2010 at the latest. It also need Android 2.3(Gingerbread) or above.

One thing I noticed about Saturn.Emu is that a much faster phone only increases performance very little(the emulator coding holding it back, not hardware)
Like I noticed my friend has a New Galaxy S3(Quad Core) and Saturn.Emu runs like 3fps faster, while when I try Nulldce(Dreamcast) it way faster then my old xperia.

Anyway my contract is up in January and im hoping some nice phones with Arm's upcoming a15 Processor are out. There benchmarks say its about 40% faster then the a9 quadcores in the Galaxy S3, and close to that of an acceptable laptop performance. I hope both Saturn.Emu and Nulldce have some significant updates by then.

And stress testing a mp3 player with a saturn emulator sounds like the future to me.

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry to double post but thought enough people care here to bump with some good news. I wont bump agian until nights is running 30fps+.

Some promising news Paul has passed the project onto zack or "infusedreams" who worked on a snes and n64 emulators for PSP. It is actually on the Play Store as well in a free and donate version. This is great because the the dev.working on Saturn.emu is not updating his and it seem unsupported atm.

https://play.google....XNlYWVGcmVlIl0.

If your a bit more technically inclined you can go here and get the latest build that the play Store may not have yet.
https://bitbucket.or...reams/yabauseae
Heres some more info
http://www.paulscode...msg8260#msg8260

Its already faster for me with NiGHTS but still not playable id say 10-15fps on a old phone, you can definatly beat a mare or two if you want to just see it working.(like me)

Heres hoping he keeps his word of "updating regularly"

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

□■□■

Hey everybody, hope everyone is managing eveything, and feeling good lately. 

I must admit i like the remake but the idea of playing the unaltered original on my phone anywhere still captivates me, I must admit im a bit obsessed. Theres much news if you wish to read on

first let me post a picture off my galaxy S5 of NiGHTS running on A STILL ALIVE app.

IsAIt3Lh.jpg

First off everything looks much smoother and looks great unlike ive seen before maybe its the screen size. Faster of course

Also someone is working on it has NiGHTS running full speed on a galaxy 10

So whats new?
Well if you read the last posts youve noticed to project gets passed around a bit then dies... but read on!

-Guillaume the author of the yabause everyone is trying to port, started to work on android version for himself but doesnt release anything really

-But a app called retroarch just started to support yabause and updates to code from the authors page automatically so he doesnt have to release it himself which was a huge problem!

So everybody if your still here there is very solid progress and now a great set up for the dev. There was work on the code as recently as apr-2 

Retroarch is not going anywhere and niether is the dev of yabause and thays all thats needed now, so its only getting much better here on

Those interested this is all you need to try it out anda copy of NiGHTS. Maybe wait a couple weeks it still not very playable yet. 

http://buildbot.libr...8_RetroArch.apk

You must use that build not the play store one yabause support is new

Go to manage cores and over to the right to downloable cores, yabause is at the bottom

Hope everybody luck in the future

droidsaturn

droidsaturn

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

It is now full speed and completely playable in your pocket at any time! 60fps and getting smoother. Totally playable on my Galaxy S5

.https://play.google....e.android&hl=en

Some notes on working it

-Use iso or bin/cue version try to acquire the European pal version that's what I use works now problem

-Place it in /yabause/games

-If still doesnt work grab the bios(google saturn Bios) and extract them to /yabause/bios and select European or whichever 

I also highly recommend Radiant Silver gun,sillouette mirage, bomberman saturn, policenauts puzzle fighter, fighters megamix, vampire saviour, astal, princess crown,die hard arcade,virtua fighter kids, pocket fighters,game tengoku game paradise shumup also many many others imports

tXIGkT4h.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users