Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's Get Things Rolling Here Again!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
Since Lucid Dreaming came out back in July, we haven't really done much as a community besides occasionally lurked around here. I'd like to try to get the ball rolling here again and try to get things active once more. What I need from you though is to tell us what you'd like to see around here and what kinds of activities and projects you'd like to have going. Your participation in this is vital! We need to get this place bumping again! :)

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
This place does need some more life put into it. This place's page design wasn't changed for nothing. I'll try to think of something as I don't have any ideas at the moment but when I get one I'll be sure to return here with it.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
What if we tell the story of NiGHTS using the different media we all use? We can assign scenes, then musicians can tell their segment in song, artists can draw comics or art for their segments, filmmakers can make films, et cetera. Then, we can stitch it all together as one big NiGHTS community project.

Your thoughts?

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:SEGA video gaming, Creative Writing, Origami, acting
Sounds like a good idea

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Nocturne, I actually LOVE that idea. We'd need to get enough people willing to participate, but I think if we made enough noise about it in enough places, we could make this happen. If you really want to do that, let me know and I'll start spreading the word and help with parts of the project itself.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I just thought about adding some new NiGHTS emoticons but a story project sounds a lot more fun lol

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Sounds good to me, but is this going to be like everyone gets a small piece of the story to create in their own way or will this be telling the story but each time is different?

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Sounds good to me, but is this going to be like everyone gets a small piece of the story to create in their own way or will this be telling the story but each time is different?

I believe everyone will get their own piece of the story to tell. Am I right?

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

That's what it sounded like to me as well.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I'm so glad you all like my idea! Shall I make a separate topic for it?

Exactly. I thought we could divide it into numbered chapters and people could choose which ones they want. If anyone has ideas for divisions, do share.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

I'm so glad you all like my idea! Shall I make a separate topic for it?

Exactly. I thought we could divide it into numbered chapters and people could choose which ones they want. If anyone has ideas for divisions, do share.

That sounds like a very splendid idea. Let's bring this up more often on the IRC and possibly spread it to other SEGA communities online!

Elleri1

Elleri1

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, writing, coming up with stories, videogames, reading, watching anime, and other random common things.
I wouldn't mind getting onto this idea. I finally got my tablet so I can definitely do my art now! :D

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
*Blink blink*
AH!
Oh wow things are still alive here! I felt nostalgic but this topic looked interesting so I took a peak...
I'd like to know what all I missed BUT! I digress...
I may not be very artsy but if I can help in any way let me know.
Hopefully, I'll be able to stick around...

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
We'd be more than happy to involve you in this, Saifer! We just need to arouse enough interest and then organize how we're going to divide this up.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
I'll try to get on the IRC more once I get through mounds upon mounds of Chemistry work. So, should we do both games, or just one?

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

I'll try to get on the IRC more once I get through mounds upon mounds of Chemistry work. So, should we do both games, or just one?

I say we should do just NiD for starters. If it goes well enough, we can attempt CNiD and JoD. Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to do CNiD around Christmas time. :)

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.
*roly-poly's clumsily about* now things are rolling again! waaaay!

im up for contributing to a big project!

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Good! Then tell as many people as you can about it!

CROSSiNG

CROSSiNG

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Let's see: Making music, books, video games, oh yeah and NiGHTS.
Count me in for a musical part!

Piper24

Piper24

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
I think this idea sounds like a lot of fun! I'd love to participate, but I'm not sure what I could do. I am not artistic in the least, nor am I all that great with music. Well, maybe I shouldn't say that; I love to sing, so I could do that... I also (sorta) play the ocarina (though not well enough yet that I'd really want to use that for a project). But I like to write, so maybe I could do a written part; a poem or a short story or something.

I don't know. I'll have to think about what I could do.

I just thought about adding some new NiGHTS emoticons but a story project sounds a lot more fun lol

I also like this idea! I'd love to see some NiGHTS emoticons!

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

I think this idea sounds like a lot of fun! I'd love to participate, but I'm not sure what I could do. I am not artistic in the least, nor am I all that great with music. Well, maybe I shouldn't say that; I love to sing, so I could do that... I also (sorta) play the ocarina (though not well enough yet that I'd really want to use that for a project). But I like to write, so maybe I could do a written part; a poem or a short story or something.

I don't know. I'll have to think about what I could do.

I also like this idea! I'd love to see some NiGHTS emoticons!

Like this one? Posted Image

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

AHHHHHH!

i was thinking, i'd like to take part in the form of literature, or perhaps a drama form. It could be possible (for the latter) but just not sure what to do that. Anyone else in in what i am thinking?

Piper24

Piper24

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Eeep!
Not exactly what I had in mind... :P

AHHHHHH!

i was thinking, i'd like to take part in the form of literature, or perhaps a drama form. It could be possible (for the latter) but just not sure what to do that. Anyone else in in what i am thinking?

A drama would be interesting. Do you have any ideas about how to do it?

At first I was thinking you'd need cosplayers to make a drama work well, but actually I think it could be done without. Everyone dreams, after all (so anyone could play the part of dreamers/visitors), and NiGHTS doesn't necessarily have to be seen on-camera for us to imply that he is there. If someone is very creative and clever with a camera, I think it could be done with or without cosplay.

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

A drama would be interesting. Do you have any ideas about how to do it?

At first I was thinking you'd need cosplayers to make a drama work well, but actually I think it could be done without. Everyone dreams, after all (so anyone could play the part of dreamers/visitors), and NiGHTS doesn't necessarily have to be seen on-camera for us to imply that he is there. If someone is very creative and clever with a camera, I think it could be done with or without cosplay.

I was thinking for NiGHTS and all the rest, possibly puppets? Because up in London a few years ago I saw War Horse where all the animals in the play were puppets and were cleverly done so that might be some inspiration for what we could do. Have someone do the puppetry and sync voices in over the top.
I'm just flicking through my Media Studies folder and what you're suggesting not NiGHTS is doable. A POV shot could work but for the enitre segment it could possibly be overdoing it, much like the dutch tilt in Battlefield Earth. Or even just a narration from NiGHTS to open or close the project could do something and any acting is just silent mime to music.
This has given me an idea when it comes to presenting the nightmaren booses, perhaps only hearing the voice as an audience fears a villain more when they can't see him/her. It depends on what part of the story.
This is all just thoughts so if they sound mad I'm sorry.

What is happening plot-wise? Is it the plot from NiD? How NiGHTS became the NiGHTS we all know and love? JoD? Or even all three in one big story?

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...
How about audio drama? It would be distributed just like a Podcast would and we would only need voice actors and sound effects editors (I can be both). Pretty small team, I'd say, and the script should probably be discussed among everyone involved, but there would need to be some kind of coordinator/director to the whole thing. This sounds pretty cool, actually!

Also, I vote for a story based on the original game. Or, actually, a prequel, where NiGHTS' origins are explored! =D

EDIT: w00t 100th post!
Achievement Unlocked: Dreamer!

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

How about audio drama? It would be distributed just like a Podcast would and we would only need voice actors and sound effects editors (I can be both). Pretty small team, I'd say, and the script should probably be discussed among everyone involved, but there would need to be some kind of coordinator/director to the whole thing. This sounds pretty cool, actually!

Also, I vote for a story based on the original game. Or, actually, a prequel, where NiGHTS' origins are explored! =D

Sounds like a great idea! I'll voice act, I've always wanted to voice act.
As for the plot can I push something slightly controversial onto the table? If we could find elements in the plot could we possibly something JOD related as well as NiD?

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...

Sounds like a great idea! I'll voice act, I've always wanted to voice act.
As for the plot can I push something slightly controversial onto the table? If we could find elements in the plot could we possibly something JOD related as well as NiD?

Cool!
I don't really credit JoD's story all that much. Unless you can shine a different light on it.
A NiD prequel sounds really amazing to me, actually.

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
By JoD I mean using some of the characters like Owl and Donbalon (I've always imagined Donbalon as Puffy's Son) etc.
We'll have to plan the plot first before anything happens.

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

By JoD I mean using some of the characters like Owl and Donbalon (I've always imagined Donbalon as Puffy's Son) etc.
We'll have to plan the plot first before anything happens.

Indeed. Do PM me so that this can start off from somewhere, yes? =J

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Yes, it would be a shame for this to die off. I'm surprised Digi, Trippy or Level99 haven't said anything yet.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
I'm in. Old time radio dramas are my loves.

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

I'm in. Old time radio dramas are my loves.

Awesome. Plus, ambiance and motion sound effects will sell the visual aspect that's physically lacking.

Piper24

Piper24

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Love the idea of an audio drama. =)

I'd be happy to take part in some way, depending on when work begins on it (at the moment I probably wouldn't have enough time, but that should change soon).

Voice acting is something I've always been interested in, so I would be glad to give that a shot. Or (maybe) I could help out with making a script or something.

And hey, just a thought; if we do this, maybe artists (if any are interested) could contribute pictures to go along with parts of the audio drama. Then we could upload those pictures together with the audio to YouTube (like a slide show). Just an idea.

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Love the idea of an audio drama. =)

I'd be happy to take part in some way, depending on when work begins on it (at the moment I probably wouldn't have enough time, but that should change soon).

Voice acting is something I've always been interested in, so I would be glad to give that a shot. Or (maybe) I could help out with making a script or something.

And hey, just a thought; if we do this, maybe artists (if any are interested) could contribute pictures to go along with parts of the audio drama. Then we could upload those pictures together with the audio to YouTube (like a slide show). Just an idea.

That's a great idea!
Everyone settled for a prequel story then?

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
PM, iVY.

CROSSiNG

CROSSiNG

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Let's see: Making music, books, video games, oh yeah and NiGHTS.
Yes, we're back!
I think a voice/ radio drama thing would be awesome, count me in as well. I could add sfx, mix, as well as play a role. also, dramatic background music :)

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Yes, we're back!
I think a voice/ radio drama thing would be awesome, count me in as well. I could add sfx, mix, as well as play a role. also, dramatic background music :)

Okay dokey!

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Sorry about my lack of pressence here on the boards as of late. After Lucid came out, I just needed a while to recouperate both mentally and physically. I poured all that I could into that project and, since it went on for two years, that's a lot of time to be running at full steam. Slowly getting back into things while taking some well-deserved time to focus on other projects and some free time (after all, these Steam games won't play themselves and I just got a dog).

Crossing made a post about this on the OCR boards, actually, which is how I was alerted to this thing happening. I think its a great idea to do something NiGHTS related. The audio drama is something that seems particularly feasible, since you could totally spoof the stories into the glory days of radio, particularly the legendary Mercury Theatre on the Air.

For more information on Mercury Theatre on the Air, see here: http://www.mercurytheatre.info/

Definitely listen to some of those as they are absolutely timeless. Considering the robust nature of the internet, I'm sure that by combining the voice and writing talents of this community with the free sounds, music, and editing software out there can result in something campy and endearing.

From an organizational standpoint, it would be best to have two divided parts to start: one part that works on translating the story of whatever you're choosing into audio drama format writing (with list of characters), and the other part working on voice recruitment and tryouts. It is best to keep most of the voice talent out of the planning phase of writing since they can add their own spin on things on the fly when given parts.

Decide on how many parts you want the drama to be, and how long each part should be. Even though this is a pretty straightforward undertaking, it is still best to have it all as organized as possible.

I'm looking forward to how this progresses!

Diputs

Diputs

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Theorizing about either NiGHTS or the waking world, learning magic, showing magic, stories of almost any kind, writing, taking over the world.
I'd like to offer my voice and writing. I'm not sure how well my microphone quality is on this laptop, so I might need to buy one sometime. I like to think of myself as a fairly good writer, even though my sentences can get to be a little stringy sometimes.

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

I'd like to offer my voice and writing. I'm not sure how well my microphone quality is on this laptop, so I might need to buy one sometime. I like to think of myself as a fairly good writer, even though my sentences can get to be a little stringy sometimes.

Okey Dokey, I'll add you to the PM. Or try and get someone else because I think i've already added the maximum that I can

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users