Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Has anyone watched Paprika?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

xelaalex

xelaalex

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, Pokémon, Zelda, drawing, gaming, writing
I don't suppose many people here know of the film Paprika, but it plays with similar concepts to the NiGHTS into Dreams series, the idea of "stealing dreams" and making them become realities. I like to think of it as an "adult's NiGHTS into Dreams" as various mature content are shown in the film, and I myself was scared half to death by some scenes when I watched it back in 2008. Anyway, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has seen the film, as it gave me the same rush of inspiration as NiGHTS has given to most people. The primary protragonist is Paprika herself, who despite appearing perfectly human has the same reality-twisting powers as a Nightmaren might have, she is the "dream avatar" of a woman named Dr. Atsuko Chiba. At the start of the film, Dr. Chiba has full control over her body as Paprika, however later on in the film the consciousness of Paprika breaks away from her, and becomes her own person. The main plot of the film regards a machine known as the DC Mini (Dream Catcher Mini) which is able to record peoples' dreams, however it is soon revealed that by recording these dreams, peoples' dreams are starting to appear in the real world, causing madness to some people, as well as later literally causing the "Dream Parade," a collection of creatures from the dream world to appear in the real world, spreading the madness. Towards the end of the film, it is revealed that the mastermind behind the DC Mini and the appearance of the Dream Parade in the real world is Dr. Atsuko's own boss, who they must later destroy in order to save the world, which eventually Paprika herself does.

That's the short synopsis, but don't go watching the film expecting it to be like NiGHTS, it features many many mature elements such as grotesque and scary scenes. On the other hand, those who can deal with such mature elements really should watch the film, it, like NiGHTS, is more of an experience than just a mere film, and will create inspiration like no other!

For those who are interested, here is the intro, which shows a fair smattering of Paprika's powers in the real world, as well as a gorgeous song to go with it. (And don't worry, there's nothing mature in it!)

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I love Satoshi Kon, but haven't gotten around to seeing Paprika yet. His style is so unique and just incredible.

xelaalex

xelaalex

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

I love Satoshi Kon, but haven't gotten around to seeing Paprika yet. His style is so unique and just incredible.

Heh well I'm not likely going to watch another of his films, Paprika was very nearly too much for me @_@; regardless I totally recommend watching it!

Also we haven't talked before, its nice to meet you =3

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

Heh well I'm not likely going to watch another of his films, Paprika was very nearly too much for me @_@; regardless I totally recommend watching it!

Also we haven't talked before, its nice to meet you =3

We haven't? Hello! :D

You should look into him more! Take some breather time, then dive into Perfect Blue. It's a masterpiece.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I loved Paprika. I consider myself super-lucky to have watched it in theaters a couple years back. It's such a fantastic film and the animation is so beautiful that the big screen experience was extra amazing.

Satoshi Kon was definitely one of the few genius directors of modern anime; it's sad that he died last year. I almost bought a Japanese Laserdisc copy of Perfect Blue a few weeks ago, but opted against it, because it was expensive and I wouldn't be able to understand it.

I think Paranoia Agent is one of his hallmarks. It has some disturbing elements, but is essential viewing IMO.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Yep, I managed to catch it on tv subtitled a while ago, good stuff

xelaalex

xelaalex

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

I loved Paprika. I consider myself super-lucky to have watched it in theaters a couple years back. It's such a fantastic film and the animation is so beautiful that the big screen experience was extra amazing.

Satoshi Kon was definitely one of the few genius directors of modern anime; it's sad that he died last year. I almost bought a Japanese Laserdisc copy of Perfect Blue a few weeks ago, but opted against it, because it was expensive and I wouldn't be able to understand it.

I think Paranoia Agent is one of his hallmarks. It has some disturbing elements, but is essential viewing IMO.

Its nice to know that other people enjoyed it, and I had no idea that Satoshi Kon died last year! I probably won't be watching any more of his stuff though, it's too mature for my tastes >.<; ^^; have to admit that Paprika had it's beautiful side though, just like NiGHTS has it's own.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Thanks for reminding me i still need to buy this movie on DVD!

iVYRAVE

iVYRAVE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:SEGA video gaming, Creative Writing, Origami, acting
I've resently bought Paprika on DVD and my god! This has to be one of my favourite movies of all time. I mean I have never experienced a movie of this standard like this before and I doubt any other movie Ill watch in future will be able to surpass this

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I saw this movie in Safeway recently for about ten bucks. It was the only anime film on the shelf too. The cover left me smiling. I would have bought it had I not already owned it. :lol: This movie is seriously something special. It's one of the best movies revolving around dreams that you can find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users